Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Did you ride today?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Did you ride today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-23, 02:12 PM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
I did get out and ride today though only for 13 miles. I rode my bike this morning to work and tried a different way home. I liked the different way home and I want to try using that on my way to work. I came upon 3 elementary school age boys sitting on their bikes along the bike path this morning and said hi as I passed. Two of them said hi back. After passing them I looked in my mirror and one of the boys was riding towards me. So it looked to me as if he was racing. I started pedaling faster so he couldn't catch up. Which he didn't. The elementary school is not to far off the bike path. I saw many kids this morning on another part of the path.
Old 09-22-23, 02:25 PM
mackgoo

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 95 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33, Gold plated Columbus AIR Guerciotti, 74 Galmozzi Super Competizione, 52 Bianchi Paris Roubaix.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 540 Times in 166 Posts
Yep. No pictures. I just ride.

https://www.strava.com/activities/9900436774
Old 09-22-23, 06:11 PM
MasiMoe

Bikes: '72 Bottecchia Giro, '74 Masi Gran Criterium, '06 Masi Gran Corsa, '15 Giant FastRoad SLR, Bianchi Veloce (Totaled), Ranger Zebra, Felt 80 (Dump find-$8.00 fix)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 21 Posts
Did 29 1/2 miles on my 51 year old Bottechia Giro with tubulars. 2nd ride on it since rebuilding it. Working the bugs out. Tough on the hills with the old gears.
Likes For MasiMoe:
Old 09-23-23, 04:38 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
Charity ride this morning. The "Miles for Mammograms" ride raised over $5000 so women who cannot otherwise afford an exam can get one for free.
Opted for the 26 mile route, since I'm still recovering from an unexpected trip down a flight of stairs when one of my pups decided to beat me down them (she didn't - the fall was faster) and my posterior is still feeling the effects.
It was a beautiful SC day, and the scenery was outstanding!

Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 09-24-23, 01:26 PM
Leebob69

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus X 3.0, Trek 700 MultiTrack,Specialized Alibi,Benotto ?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 51 Posts
Feelin' like fall. Not sure I'm ready. Was in no hurry this morning since it was only 62 degrees.

I've ordered a new bike. Hope to be on it by the end of the week. I started using the Ride app by Specialized( with Strava). Bet you can guess what brand bike I ordered

Last edited by Leebob69; 09-25-23 at 10:05 AM. Reason: misspelled word
Likes For Leebob69:
Old 09-25-23, 09:47 AM
galyons
the dream shall never die

Bikes: Cannondale RT3000 Tandem Cannondale R900 CAAD 8 Campy

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
Final long training ride before metric century next Saturday. Had planned to do 51 miles, but my riding partner had to call his wife for sag services at 23 miles. A late start, uncooperative "Delta Winds" and the sag recovery shortened the ride to 47 miles. Got in 109 miles this week, so should be good for the metric!

Likes For galyons:
Old 09-25-23, 05:38 PM
Need41speed
BeastMaster

Bikes: Dahon Mu P8, Retrospec Spec (highly modified), EPX fixie

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 23 Posts
50 miler?

Completed the 40th Honolulu Century Ride yesterday. According to the GPS app (Bike with GPS) the 50 miler I completed was actually 56 miles. I was pleased with a well run event put on by the Hawaii Bicycle League. I completed all the challenging climbs on the course & completed the ride in my projected time and pace with my 20” folder. Also had no mechanical issues after a tuneup to address recent problems. Good times.
Likes For Need41speed:
Old 09-25-23, 06:32 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 378 Posts
Just a soggy ride to the supermarket...

Likes For john m flores:
Old 09-26-23, 11:43 AM
pelirary

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts
NO :-(.

Two days of rain bled into today so I canceled my scheduled ride. Back on the bike tomorrow.
Old 09-27-23, 11:07 AM
essiemyra

I got out and rode this morning with the temps in the low 50's when I left the house. During my ride I came upon a dog that was unleashed and walking by itself. The dog was just walking along the mup and then crossed the street without any one hitting her. The reason I know it is a her is a little later I saw the owner looking for her. I told her where I had seen the dog. She said well that is the way they live so hopefully she was going home. The older gentleman on the mup asked how she got off her leash. Other than that it was a quiet ride plus, I made it to the end of the bike path which is behind the Manchester airport.
Likes For essiemyra:
Old 09-27-23, 06:34 PM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 3,067 Times in 1,015 Posts
Four mile neighborhood cruise on one of my single speed conversion bikes .

Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 09-28-23, 01:01 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 447 Posts

Shop on Riverside Drive
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 09-28-23, 05:27 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Elite Disc, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Rode a 65-mile loop from Golden to Boulder and back through Denver yesterday, 2600' of climbing. Beautiful day with great views of the Flatirons and Long's Peak descending into Boulder Valley.

Packing up this morning to ride the Mickelson Trail in South Dakota, supported by my wife. She rode it round trip a few years ago.
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 09-28-23, 10:19 AM
essiemyra

I did get out and ride this morning. I rode the rail trail for 25 miles. The weather was nice and the ride was uneventful.
Likes For essiemyra:
Old 09-28-23, 06:59 PM
Leebob69

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus X 3.0, Trek 700 MultiTrack,Specialized Alibi,Benotto ?

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 51 Posts
Today was yard work day but got out early and rode 12.58 miles which included the marsh trail. I would normally not ride on yard work day but I picked up a new Specialized Sirrus X 3.0 yesterday and had to ride it.
Love my new bike. Still getting it dialed in but it's pretty close now. I did raise the seat another 1/2". I must say I LOVE disc brakes. I did swap out the handlebar grips with the ones I have been using on my old bike. The OEM grips have a molded in tightening band. Turns out that the allen bolt head hit my thumb making it uncomfortable to up shift.(MicroShift trigger shifter)
Likes For Leebob69:
Old 09-30-23, 02:27 PM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 3,067 Times in 1,015 Posts
Took my Rockhopper out this morning.
Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 10-01-23, 07:46 AM
andrewclaus

I just finished a two-day ride of the 108-mile Mickelson Trail. Highly recommended if you can swing it. It's achingly beautiful. Fall colors are just before their peak right now and temps are pleasant. The pastoral southern end lacked the mountain scenery, but the whitetail deer and turkeys were fun to watch, and there are a couple of scenic creek canyons accessible only by trail. I didn't see a single other trail user in the last 30 miles before Edgemont.

Older folks on e-bikes are definitely in the majority. I met two guys who flew out from the East Coast for a four-day vacation, rented e-bikes in Lead and are spending three nights in motels on a round-trip. They weren't in any hurry so they went my pace for most of their first day. I rode past their first motel in Hill City to meet my wife at a campground just south of there, and got an earlier start to finish in Edgemont and drive home the next day. Most people I talked to were riding the trail in out-and-back sections, also on e-bikes, one section a year. Most acoustic bike riders I saw were townspeople out on short rides from home.

I rode my gravel bike on gravel for the first time in the four years since I salvaged it from the non-profit shop. I've been running 28 mm road tires on it since then--it looks a little funny, but it's versatile for my needs. I put a pair of used 38 mm Gravel Kings on it, borrowed for the weekend from the non-profit shop. There were only a few spots on the trail where I was thankful for the wider tires--it's so well-maintained, it's ridable in road tires. My wife rode it both ways on 25 mm tires a few years ago, and didn't complain about it. If I didn't have free access to wider tires, I would have been fine staying with road tires--just a little more careful in a few loose spots, maybe a few pucker-factor moments.

One young guy on a sportier gravel bike with 32 mm tires passed me, making the trip in one day. He was supported by his parents at several trailheads. A trail patroller I met (had to show my pass) said there were two others doing it that day, ahead of me. I got a late start in Deadwood, otherwise I'd have been with them (ahem). I'm in pretty good shape for a century and thought about trying that, but a) I have no experience on gravel rail trails, b) the logistics of an early start would have been a strain on our travel plans, c) I wanted to enjoy the trail surroundings a bit more, and d) most important, it may have been foolish to safely attempt it as an old guy. The elderly patroller (just five years older than me), had a great saying--"I'd rather die with gravel in my teeth than a tube up my nose."

Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 10-01-23, 03:31 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
I just finished a two-day ride of the 108-mile Mickelson Trail. Highly recommended if you can swing it. It's achingly beautiful. Fall colors are just before their peak right now and temps are pleasant. The pastoral southern end lacked the mountain scenery, but the whitetail deer and turkeys were fun to watch, and there are a couple of scenic creek canyons accessible only by trail. I didn't see a single other trail user in the last 30 miles before Edgemont.

Older folks on e-bikes are definitely in the majority. I met two guys who flew out from the East Coast for a four-day vacation, rented e-bikes in Lead and are spending three nights in motels on a round-trip. They weren't in any hurry so they went my pace for most of their first day. I rode past their first motel in Hill City to meet my wife at a campground just south of there, and got an earlier start to finish in Edgemont and drive home the next day. Most people I talked to were riding the trail in out-and-back sections, also on e-bikes, one section a year. Most acoustic bike riders I saw were townspeople out on short rides from home.
snip . . .
Great pics and write up. I badly want do this ride and it's not too far from where I live in central Iowa. I'll likely take my drop bar mountain bike conversion (a '92 Stumpjumper with a rigid fork) with 26 x 2.0 tires.

Last edited by bikemig; 10-01-23 at 03:39 PM.
Old 10-01-23, 03:39 PM
bikemig 

100 miles over 4 days

I managed to get in 100 miles over 4 day from Thursday thru Sunday. I'll try to keep this up for a while but it's tough to carve out that much time with work and life projects.

I did my favorite ride which has rollers (around 1,000 ft of climbing over 25 miles), good water views (the ride meanders along the Des Moines river and Saylorville Lake), good tree cover, and a decent amount of wildlife. This is my favorite time of year to do the ride as the tall grass starts to turn brown and the wildflowers are still largely in bloom. They've done a good job of restoring the prairie along this bike path. The bike is an early 70s Raleigh Gran Sport (Reynolds 531 double butted main frame and forks) I picked up a few years back and finally got around to rebuilding. It's decent for gravel with 700 x 35c tires as well as paved roads. I set it up with generous gearing (50/34 with a 13-30 6 speed freewheel). Not much is original on the bike other than the headset, saddle, and the Raleigh branded seatpost binder bolt.

Likes For bikemig:
Old 10-01-23, 04:18 PM
essiemyra

I got out early this morning and rode to work. The temp was a cool 55 f degrees with the smoky haze that made either the sun or moon look strange. Anyway, it was a quick ride to work and home. Due to wanting to see my granddaughter with her cheering squad at the football game.
Old 10-01-23, 04:24 PM
andrewclaus

Originally Posted by bikemig
I managed to get in 100 miles over 4 day from Thursday thru Sunday. I'll try to keep this up for a while but it's tough to carve out that much time with work and life projects.

I did my favorite ride which has rollers (around 1,000 ft of climbing over 25 miles), good water views (the ride meanders along the Des Moines river and Saylorville Lake), good tree cover, and a decent amount of wildlife. This is my favorite time of year to do the ride as the tall grass starts to turn brown and the wildflowers are still largely in bloom. They've done a good job of restoring the prairie along this bike path. The bike is an early 70s Raleigh Gran Sport (Reynolds 531 double butted main frame and forks) I picked up a few years back and finally got around to rebuilding. It's decent for gravel with 700 x 35c tires as well as paved roads. I set it up with generous gearing (50/34 with a 13-30 6 speed freewheel). Not much is original on the bike other than the headset, saddle, and the Raleigh branded seatpost binder bolt.
I've only ever ridden a small NE corner of Iowa, on the ACA Northern Tier route, along the Mississippi bluffs. Plenty of steep climbing.

Those 35 mm tires would be fine on the Mickelson Trail, if you want a faster, lighter bike. My wife rode it on 25 mm Schwalbe Marathons. I would choose 32 mm gravel tires if I could do it again. Cyclists I saw on MTBs, mainly local townspeople, seemed to be struggling.

Edit: I just noticed you said your MTB is a drop-bar conversion with rigid fork. I see why you'd consider that bike, for indexed shifting if nothing else!

Last edited by andrewclaus; 10-01-23 at 04:30 PM.
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 10-01-23, 04:33 PM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by andrewclaus
I've only ever ridden a small NE corner of Iowa, on the ACA Northern Tier route, along the Mississippi bluffs. Plenty of steep climbing.

Those 35 mm tires would be fine on the Mickelson Trail, if you want a faster, lighter bike. My wife rode it on 25 mm Schwalbe Marathons. I would choose 32 mm gravel tires if I could do it again. Cyclists I saw on MTBs, mainly local townspeople, seemed to be struggling.
Yeah the gravel doesn't look too technical from the pics. The old Stumpy is fine though; old rigid MTBs are reasonably light all things considered. Mine weighs in at 27 lbs. I haven't weighed the Raleigh but I'll bet it's a good 2 pounds lighter even with the leather saddle. So I might take it; good tip.

Yeah, there's fine climbing in NE IA, SE MN, and SW WI. That's one of my favorite areas to ride. I'll have to check out the ACA maps of the area.

Last edited by bikemig; 10-02-23 at 06:07 AM.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 10-02-23, 02:31 PM
essiemyra

I was able to get out by 8:45 this morning later than I wanted but early enough to get a 19 mile ride in. I wanted to make sure I also got a cribbage games in today. Therefore I had to be back by a certain time.
Old 10-02-23, 02:35 PM
pelirary

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts
After so much rain lately and cool temperatures it was nice to have a sunny day in the seventies. No way I'm not getting on my bike. I did 35.1 miles with 1101 elevation gain. After reading some of the threads about nutrition and hydration while riding I did adjust my intake and I think it worked wonders. I wasn't tired after I got home, though my legs are a bit sore going up stairs. My new Trek AL 5 is such a dream to ride after twenty six years on a Trek 1220. I love the wider tires and the disc brakes. It's a shame the weather is going to get colder because I know that is going to cut back my mileage.
Old 10-02-23, 06:34 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 378 Posts
In my younger days I would reveled in the mud. But I was wearing one of my favorite jerseys this day!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.