Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Pictures of your loaded rigs?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Pictures of your loaded rigs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-11, 01:15 AM
mbragg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok here's my Thorn Nomad, currently going around the world. See https://www.michaelbragg.co.uk for some info, or direct to https://www.flickr.com/photos/mikebragg/ for some more photos.

All clean and shiney:

After some use:

Old 01-31-11, 07:54 AM
timberline12k
timberline12k

Bikes: Felt F80

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris_in_Miami
I think they're bar-end bells. I put one on my wife's MTB and it "dings" on the slightest bump. Two of them would be nearly unbearable...

Yep, they are bar-end bells. They don't ding on pavement, but I have not had them on gravel roads yet. If they are too noisy, I will probably swap them out for a single bar mount. I ride enough on bike trails around here that it got tiresome always yelling "on your left". The dual bells allow me to ring with whichever hand is free.

The bike is set up with 2 X 10 brifters.

Last edited by timberline12k; 01-31-11 at 07:59 AM.
Old 01-31-11, 09:51 AM
EriktheFish
Silly Party Member

Bikes: Rans Stratus XP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Rans Stratus XP (one of the most comfortable touring rigs on the planet):

Last edited by EriktheFish; 01-31-11 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-31-11, 11:08 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
bragg-all the best with your travels

and 12K, tks for the info, was just curious tis all.
Old 01-31-11, 12:37 PM
neilfein

Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Timberline - Are those midge bars? They look comfortable, but do they give you enough control over the bike? I'd think the narrow bars would make that harder, but that's just a guess. (I decided against midge bars a while back, so I'm curious. I might still get them on my folding bike one day.)

My bands:
Old 01-31-11, 12:41 PM
tip

Bikes: Novara Randonee, Trek 800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mbragg
Ok here's my Thorn Nomad, currently going around the world. See https://www.michaelbragg.co.uk for some info, or direct to https://www.flickr.com/photos/mikebragg/ for some more photos.
thanks for sharing, cool site - I'll be following!
Old 01-31-11, 01:38 PM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by timberline12k
Yep, they are bar-end bells. They don't ding on pavement, but I have not had them on gravel roads yet. If they are too noisy, I will probably swap them out for a single bar mount. I ride enough on bike trails around here that it got tiresome always yelling "on your left". The dual bells allow me to ring with whichever hand is free.

The bike is set up with 2 X 10 brifters.
I did find that they can be mostly quieted with some experimentation; if they're noisy, try loosening the fixing screw and re-positioning them in 1/8-turn increments until they don't spontaneously ring. It's not a 100% effective solution on my wife's bike, but it's also possible that I got a faulty bell...
Old 01-31-11, 09:49 PM
Mardmakarm

Bikes: Kona Sutra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After months of waiting it finally arrived, Extrawheel Voyager!

Extrawheel extra feel by Madanial, on Flickr

Now i can easily put everthing i want into it while touring, and simply remove it out and turn my Touring bike to a clean look Commuting bike.

Hurry!
Old 02-03-11, 11:59 AM
EriktheFish
Silly Party Member

Bikes: Rans Stratus XP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome group of loaded rig photos:
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?..._id=8000&v=160
Old 02-07-11, 06:55 AM
zanf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Thorn Nomad mk2

Here's a shot not long after I got it from the shop June 2010 (actually, whilst riding it home!)

Old 02-07-11, 08:22 AM
timberline12k
timberline12k

Bikes: Felt F80

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by neilfein
Timberline - Are those midge bars? They look comfortable, but do they give you enough control over the bike? I'd think the narrow bars would make that harder, but that's just a guess. (I decided against midge bars a while back, so I'm curious. I might still get them on my folding bike one day.)
The handlebars are Salsa Woodchipper 46cm. They are very comfortable, allow several hand positions and offer good control.
Old 02-07-11, 08:51 AM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zanf
Here's a shot not long after I got it from the shop June 2010 (actually, whilst riding it home!)

Wow zanf - Great first post, and awesome bike! I hope you introduce yourself and tell us your plans for that bike, it looks like it's ready to go around the world!

Old 02-07-11, 09:29 AM
djb

Originally Posted by zanf
zanf, I have looked at the Thorn website and while I would not be in the market for a Nomad, I was very impressed with their products--pricey, but you can see that they are very serious about the quality of their bikes.
Old 02-07-11, 11:18 AM
zanf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by valygrl
Wow zanf - Great first post, and awesome bike! I hope you introduce yourself and tell us your plans for that bike, it looks like it's ready to go around the world!
There is a long term plan to do that. I will do some sort of introduction. I didn't realise that I hadn't even though I joined in April last year! [edit to add] well, I have now!

Originally Posted by djb
zanf, I have looked at the Thorn website and while I would not be in the market for a Nomad, I was very impressed with their products--pricey, but you can see that they are very serious about the quality of their bikes.
No doubt about it. I absolutely maxed out on what I've ever paid for anything but I expect to never have to replace this bike and the intention is for it to serve me for at least 20 years!

Last edited by zanf; 02-07-11 at 11:30 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 02-07-11, 12:01 PM
djb

London to Brighton, my grandparents were from Worthing, came over in the 20s. My sister has lived in Wales for quite a while now.
as for your bike, yup a well made bike will last and last (if taken care of) so enjoy it. I find that if one is good with cleaning and lubing, even a mid range bike can last quite a long time, even more so with one that has better quality components.
I've also found that paying the modest fee a good wheel person charges to go over the spoke tensions every season or so (or when needed of course) goes a long way to general wheel life and not having issues, especially if you carry weight regularly, poor roads, if you are heavy etc)

ps, I shall say this very very quietly, but do have a good lock/s....Montreal is pretty bad for bike theft, so I don't make a habit of leaving a nice bike out at all. Tend to use my older mtn bike for errands.
cheers
Old 02-07-11, 12:35 PM
zanf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Locks: I have 2 kryptonite locks: one of the NY fahgedaboutit things that locks the back wheel and the other is a chain with a small D lock that secures the bike to a post & through the front wheel.

TBH, the bike has never been left out for longer than about 15 mins, whilst Ive been in a shop. I wouldnt dare leave it anywhere for a length of time in London (UK, not the one in Canada!) either. It would end up at Brick Lane (renowned for stolen bikes being sold on the market) faster than I could cycle there
Old 02-19-11, 08:38 PM
cpblue

Bikes: Giant NRS3, Novara Randonee

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Start of the Natchez Trace (Novara Randonnee front, Fuji Touruing Back
Attached Images
Old 02-21-11, 02:45 PM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cpblue
Start of the Natchez Trace (Novara Randonnee front, Fuji Touruing Back
Is that the North end, near Nashville?

I'd like to hear how your trip goes. I'm planning to go from Natchez to Nashville in less than 2 weeks.
Old 02-21-11, 07:08 PM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Took it for a test drive loaded yesterday. About 65 miles and handled really well. Ready to go.
Old 02-21-11, 10:38 PM
slaani

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
65 miles on stock saddle? not sure i would survive
Old 02-22-11, 08:11 AM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by slaani
65 miles on stock saddle? not sure i would survive
Good catch. And as a matter of fact shortly thereafter I ordered a Brooks B17 for myself and one for my son. He's got a new Trek 520 and said after a 38 mile ride his butt hurt.

So I guess I should have said, "Nearly ready to go".
Old 02-22-11, 08:52 AM
djb

scroca, do keep in mind that when new, a B17 will be (most likely, as in my case) uncomfortable after about an hour riding or so for the first "X" amount of hour long rides. My experience last summer was that it took about 7 rides before my bum bones werent sore after an hour. (and it was hot and muggy when I was breaking mine in, which I am convinced helped with all the sweating and heat) as always, ymmv

just so you know and so you can put in rides before heading off on a long trip.
Old 02-22-11, 12:39 PM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
scroca, do keep in mind that when new, a B17 will be (most likely, as in my case) uncomfortable after about an hour riding or so for the first "X" amount of hour long rides. My experience last summer was that it took about 7 rides before my bum bones werent sore after an hour. (and it was hot and muggy when I was breaking mine in, which I am convinced helped with all the sweating and heat) as always, ymmv

just so you know and so you can put in rides before heading off on a long trip.
Yes thanks. I am aware of that. I plan to put it on my commuter so hopefully I will get in almost 2 weeks with it before the journey begins.

I am going to advise the same for my son, who commutes to college. Except I will insist that he remove the saddle when he's not home. Mine is pretty secure at work so I don't have to fear theft.
Old 02-22-11, 07:35 PM
djb

re theft--you know, if my bike was stolen with my B17 that is so comfortable now, I would actually be more upset about the seat. House insurance would cover the bike, but it certainly couldnt cover the time spent getting the Brooks nice and comfy and I'd have to do it all over again.

also, given the relatively short time with them before you go, I would recommend being open minded or rather very observant about the saddle position (fore/aft/angle) during your time before the trip as well as during the trip. I guess all seat position changes can make a real diff in comfort no matter what the brand, but my feel is that Brooks ones might be more sensitive to small changes. In any case, if you are at least familiar with trying some slight changes before you go, you can quickly do some during the trip if you feel the need (it is tricky with these leather saddles, as they definitely will change slightly as they break in and your sit bones begin making the little indents.)

hope they work out for you two this season.
Old 02-22-11, 10:36 PM
zoltani
sniffin' glue

Bikes: Surly crosscheck ssfg, Custom vintage french racing bike, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scroca
Good catch. And as a matter of fact shortly thereafter I ordered a Brooks B17 for myself and one for my son. He's got a new Trek 520 and said after a 38 mile ride his butt hurt.

So I guess I should have said, "Nearly ready to go".
I've found that a brooks can still give you quite a pain in the butt, especially right at the sit bones, especially if you don't have a lot of saddle time. However, I'd rather have a pain in the butt than a pain in the taint.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.