Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Strava App..... Meh

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-14, 06:24 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
wow I've never seen the playback in action. Just "watched" the last race, it was interesting. The crash at the bell (suddenly riders stopped, others were going much slower), the sprint, a break that got caught, etc. Really cool. The ability to pause etc is nice. It includes, for many riders, the warm up, so it's interesting to see that while I was pinning my number the others were rolling around warming up etc.
Hey Colnago can hack it to give you the win. Just ask him.
Old 05-08-14, 07:35 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
I didn't see it either so I googled it.

First you go here:
https://labs.strava.com/flyby/

Then you put in the URL for the Strava Activity you want to view. For me, my example was:
Bike Ride Profile | 4/19/2014 Mystic Velo Crit, melted in the wind. near Charlestown | Times and Records | Strava

Finally you check off who you want to view in the playback from the list of riders. The green C is Correlation - the higher the number the more probable they actually rode with you. The purple S means they rode the same roads but not necessarily at the same time, so in a crit they probably did a different race if their C is low. The red D is how far they rode, if their number is really wacky then either they rode a ton or they got shelled.

I selected everyone that was over 50% for C. You can pause and select more or deselect the ones that are obviously not racing or whatever. For me there was a guy Don at 70% C but he was watching the race from the side so I deselected him.

Finally hit the play button. It's fun. Think of significant events in the race - breaks, chases, primes, final sprint, crashes, and you'll see them sort of played out. In my event there was a slow-mo crash just before the bell and you can see how the field just explodes after that, due to some people slowing hard, a few Strava riders falling, and the field itself just splintering under pressure. It really strings out for the finish.
Thanks! Very cool!

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 05-08-14, 08:34 PM
ColnagoC40

Bikes: Vitus 979 x 2, Vitus 992, Colnago C40, Colnago C60

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
A segment on this ride Bike Ride Profile | Evening Ride near Alpharetta | Times and Records | Strava, the segment is called "My Evening Commute". I wanted to see if you could hack past the "private" - in my defense you did say "any KOM anywhere".
Done, I am now 1st on the leaderboard and have the com for Marconi to YMCA. In fairness to Strava, please post back here, so I can delete the ride and we can keep things honest.

If I look at the power I had to put out though, the ride was honest with no cheating. I did say anywhere in the world, could do the same if this was in Italy, you have to just be able to travel at the speed of light.
Old 05-08-14, 08:37 PM
ColnagoC40

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd
Hey Colnago can hack it to give you the win. Just ask him.
No hacking, just a note note not to take KOM's to serious. If one had to do this seriously, the KOM would be directly proportional to ego.
Old 05-08-14, 09:28 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by ColnagoC40
Done, I am now 1st on the leaderboard and have the com for Marconi to YMCA. In fairness to Strava, please post back here, so I can delete the ride and we can keep things honest.

If I look at the power I had to put out though, the ride was honest with no cheating. I did say anywhere in the world, could do the same if this was in Italy, you have to just be able to travel at the speed of light.
But I'm still KOM on my private commute! Just kidding, private segments don't count.

It's sure enough there! A little weird though because the whole ride is duplicated but only one segment shows. You probalby should take it down before Strava notices or someone flags it.
Old 05-09-14, 06:25 AM
ColnagoC40

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
But I'm still KOM on my private commute! Just kidding, private segments don't count.

It's sure enough there! A little weird though because the whole ride is duplicated but only one segment shows. You probalby should take it down before Strava notices or someone flags it.
LOL, thanks for playing. I have taken the ride down, it is gone. I could of done the whole ride, but just did the segment as it only took a few minutes.
Old 05-10-14, 05:15 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Email from promoter of tomorrow's race:

Racers,

We are pleased to announce another fun addition to tomorrow’s Lucarelli & Castaldi CRCA Bear Mountain Classic (#bearmountainclassic): the STRAVA TIORATI KOM/QOM COMPETITION. The fastest men’s and women’s times on the Bear Mountain Classic Tiorati Climb will receive $250 each.

We will give everyone until Wednesday at noon to upload their files and then we’ll announce the winners. Can anyone beat the 8:01 KOM time set at the 2010 Bear Mountain Fall Classic?

Old 05-10-14, 06:11 PM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gawd.
Old 05-10-14, 06:21 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
Email from promoter of tomorrow's race:

Racers,

We are pleased to announce another fun addition to tomorrow’s Lucarelli & Castaldi CRCA Bear Mountain Classic (#bearmountainclassic): the STRAVA TIORATI KOM/QOM COMPETITION. The fastest men’s and women’s times on the Bear Mountain Classic Tiorati Climb will receive $250 each.

We will give everyone until Wednesday at noon to upload their files and then we’ll announce the winners. Can anyone beat the 8:01 KOM time set at the 2010 Bear Mountain Fall Classic?
I think ColnagoC40 has this one wrapped up

At the Belgian Waffle ride in San Diego area all finishers had to bring their Garmin/etc to a table where they had a bunch of computers. The rider or staff would connect the Garmin/etc in open view, the file would get downloaded off the device, the staff would verify that the rider didn't take any short cuts or that the speeds were reasonable, and then the rider would get their finishing medal etc.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 05-12-14, 08:54 AM
ColnagoC40

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think ColnagoC40 has this one wrapped up

At the Belgian Waffle ride in San Diego area all finishers had to bring their Garmin/etc to a table where they had a bunch of computers. The rider or staff would connect the Garmin/etc in open view, the file would get downloaded off the device, the staff would verify that the rider didn't take any short cuts or that the speeds were reasonable, and then the rider would get their finishing medal etc.
Darn, if it were not for downloading at the table, I could get the KOM without even entering the State of California. (True, but as said previously no point in cheating)

Interesting to note the difference in power/heart-rate, by age group. At least that makes me feel a bit better. Will always miss those 400 watt years, they are gone.

What happened to the folks riding without computers? No timing chips?

Last edited by ColnagoC40; 05-12-14 at 09:09 AM.
Old 05-16-14, 09:46 AM
Yep
no cat contains

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 75 Posts
Wait a minute. I race and I Strava. Using segments as benchmarks is as good as anything for training. Also, BS (before Strava ), a lot of climbs had no record, other than what was passed down by the village elders. Now at least we have some measure of the best times on climbs that have never featured a sanctioned hill climb.

Looking at KOM times in the context of power and pacing and wind direction is a blast and pretty insightful.
Old 05-16-14, 09:59 AM
ColnagoC40

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yep
Wait a minute. I race and I Strava. Using segments as benchmarks is as good as anything for training. Also, BS (before Strava ), a lot of climbs had no record, other than what was passed down by the village elders. Now at least we have some measure of the best times on climbs that have never featured a sanctioned hill climb.

Looking at KOM times in the context of power and pacing and wind direction is a blast and pretty insightful.
I agree, it is a great tool. We have a number of our club members on Strava. First I go and look at their segments, then I analyse their ride profile for the whole route. Before the next club ride, I already have a good idea who is going to kick butt.
Old 05-16-14, 10:00 AM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yep
Using segments as benchmarks is as good as anything for training.
Incorrect. Your whole premise is flawed. If you have a power meter and do a small portion of your structured training on the same hill, OK. But training by comparing yourself to others is a flawed method of training. So is focusing too much of your training time on doing the same kind of training.
Old 05-16-14, 10:06 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Incorrect. Your whole premise is flawed. If you have a power meter and do a small portion of your structured training on the same hill, OK. But training by comparing yourself to others is a flawed method of training. So is focusing too much of your training time on doing the same kind of training.
I don't think they said they use the segment times of other people. It's almost like everyone thinks Strava is just about KOMs...
Old 05-16-14, 10:09 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I sometimes do intervals on strava segments (private or public) rather than timed intervals. I find it much more fun to shoot for a physical landmark instead of staring at the timer. It's not about comparing to others, it's about having a known interval mapped out on the road for you.
Old 05-16-14, 10:14 AM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RPK79
I don't think they said they use the segment times of other people. It's almost like everyone thinks Strava is just about KOMs...
I think you should go back and read the comments again.
Old 05-16-14, 10:17 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Yep

I think you should go back and read the comments again.
Nope, they're still the same comments.
Old 05-16-14, 12:33 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Because, after all, racing has NOTHING to do with how you compare to other people...

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 05-16-14, 12:42 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
Because, after all, racing has NOTHING to do with how you compare to other people...
don't worry about it man. these guys in here have years of vested comment interest in disliking Strava because some people, somewhere, think it's "real racing".

Which in a way it is in that it has it's own rules (none) and score is kept, but it's not REAL racing, know what I mean? It's not legit like a 4-corner crit, 95-mile Road Race, or an arrow-straight flat TT. Because those are all so similar and the only real races.
Old 05-16-14, 01:45 PM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We were not talking about racing. We were talking about training.
Old 05-16-14, 02:30 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
We were not talking about racing. We were talking about training.
you can see how I was confused
Old 05-16-14, 03:27 PM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
you can see how I was confused
Doesn't take much, does it

Right over the plate
Old 05-16-14, 04:55 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Doesn't take much, does it

Right over the plate
I have no defense. Pretty certain I ate too much oxidized aluminum back in my chain-maile making days!