Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Tommasini Lounge

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Tommasini Lounge

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-18, 10:38 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean51
What's the deal with the Tommasini Air Fork??? I picked up an '86 Tommasini Racing last summer that is equipped with the Air Fork.....see pic below. I've done some searching for information about this fork and have come up with zero, nada, nothing that differentiates it from any other fork supplied by Tommasini. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Tommasini introduced the AiR crown circa 1985. I have see three distinct versions but what defines the AiR crown is the taper from front to back, similar to an airfoil profile. Earlier Tommasini crowns were also flatter. The AiR sloped more, hiding more behind the caliper and resulting in shorter blades for a stiffer fork. The fork blades did not fit into sockets like on a conventional crown but fit over internal sleeves, giving a sleek, integrated appearance. It also eliminated the need to braze reinforcing tangs onto the inside of the fork blades. Later versions would become more conventional, sporting reinforcing tangs and then outboard spear points, but the taper and slope remained.

The shape was reported to have been inspired by the roofs of Asian pagodas but it also clearly owes much to Cinelli's fully sloping, integral fork crown. It follows the Tommasini philosophy of products that are not not only functionally superior but also aesthetically appealing. The original AiR crown nicely balances the sleek, integrated, aero styling that was popular in the mid-1980s with elegant but restrained embossing.
Old 12-18-18, 11:53 AM
Dean51 

Bikes: '8? Ciocc Mockba 80, '82 Ron Cooper, '84 Allez, '86 Tommasini Racing, '86? Klein Quantum, '87 Ciocc Designer 84, '95 Trek 5500, '98 Litespeed Classic, '98 S-Works Mtb

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 122 Posts
Thank you for responding @T-Mar.....I had hoped you would! I had read about the "aero" profile of the Columbus AIR tube sets and I examined the fork blades on my bike for any evidence of the same. They appear symmetrical to my eye. I've got the wood stove in my workshop fired up to "warp ten". As soon as it warms up a bit I'll get the Tommi up on the repair stand and examine the fork crown for the front to back taper you noted. Thanks again!

Dean
Old 12-18-18, 01:49 PM
Dean51 

Bikes: '8? Ciocc Mockba 80, '82 Ron Cooper, '84 Allez, '86 Tommasini Racing, '86? Klein Quantum, '87 Ciocc Designer 84, '95 Trek 5500, '98 Litespeed Classic, '98 S-Works Mtb

Well.....my Tommasini Air fork crown does taper from front to back. No wonder I feel a tiny bit faster on this bike.....mystery solved!!

Dean
Old 12-18-18, 01:51 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 410 Posts
Thank you T-Mar, your encyclopedic knowledge is a treasure to this Forum, that said I am now going to be out $800+ thanks to you.
Old 12-30-18, 03:13 PM
flx100

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

Early 70's (i believe, judging by other frames i've seen online) Refinished by Ben Falcon. Decals by Cyclomondo.

This is the 'before'. There was some surface rust here and there plus someone had drilled a hole for a brake in the bridge.

Old 12-31-18, 04:35 AM
Kevindale

Bikes: 1980 Koga-Miyata Gentsluxe-S, 1998 Eddy Merckx Corsa 01, 1983 Tommasini Racing, 2012 Gulf Western CAAD10, 1980 Univega Gran Premio

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by flx100
Early 70's (i believe, judging by other frames i've seen online) Refinished by Ben Falcon. Decals by Cyclomondo.

This is the 'before'. There was some surface rust here and there plus someone had drilled a hole for a brake in the bridge.

Sweet pista Tommasini! I think that early Tommasini DT decal style didn't start until 1975 at the earliest, and probably 1976. More interesting to me the seat stay caps, with the 3 lines but no 'T' embossing. I've seen one like this before, on a 1980-81 strada. That's an unusual fork crown, though I haven't tracked that many track bikes, and they didn't get the same crowns as the road bikes. It does seem like an earlier one, since track bikes from the early 80s usually have a sloping crown fork. Overall I suspect it's more from the later 1970s. I'd love to see a shot of the underside of the bottom bracket shell.
Old 12-31-18, 07:47 AM
flx100

Originally Posted by Kevindale
Sweet pista Tommasini! I think that early Tommasini DT decal style didn't start until 1975 at the earliest, and probably 1976. More interesting to me the seat stay caps, with the 3 lines but no 'T' embossing. I've seen one like this before, on a 1980-81 strada. That's an unusual fork crown, though I haven't tracked that many track bikes, and they didn't get the same crowns as the road bikes. It does seem like an earlier one, since track bikes from the early 80s usually have a sloping crown fork. Overall I suspect it's more from the later 1970s. I'd love to see a shot of the underside of the bottom bracket shell.
here you go!
Old 01-02-19, 02:51 PM
rlorenz2

Bikes: 80' Tommasini Prestige, 85' Tommasini Super Prestige, Miele Chic, Miyata 312

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Looks gorgeous! I'm hopeful you will provide updates / pictures of the build.

Dean
Finished up the build on this 85th anniversary frame. It of course carries on the Tommasini tradition of not only looking amazing, it rides amazing as well. The photo does not do the cromovelato/retinato paint justice. It is black cromovelato paint (had quite a time deciding between red or black), which in some light has a blue cast to it, I love it.

Speaking of Tommasini history, anyone know when/why the signature on the top tube went from "Tommasini Irio" to Irio Tommasini"? It seems many of the older frames had the last name first.
Old 01-07-19, 06:32 AM
Kevindale

Bikes: 1980 Koga-Miyata Gentsluxe-S, 1998 Eddy Merckx Corsa 01, 1983 Tommasini Racing, 2012 Gulf Western CAAD10, 1980 Univega Gran Premio

Originally Posted by flx100
here you go!
Thank you. Are there any serial numbers on there?
Old 01-07-19, 06:44 AM
Kevindale

Originally Posted by rlorenz2
Finished up the build on this 85th anniversary frame. It of course carries on the Tommasini tradition of not only looking amazing, it rides amazing as well. The photo does not do the cromovelato/retinato paint justice. It is black cromovelato paint (had quite a time deciding between red or black), which in some light has a blue cast to it, I love it.

Speaking of Tommasini history, anyone know when/why the signature on the top tube went from "Tommasini Irio" to Irio Tommasini"? It seems many of the older frames had the last name first.
Stunning! Great job! I'm curious, did they bring back the 'T' drain hole cutout in the BB shell? And can you decipher the SN?

In all my obsessive comparing various Tommasini graphics styles, I never noticed that the signature was changed! Good catch. People rarely take a closeup of that decal, and I just assumed it didn't change and never paid too much attention. Now I'll have to go back and see if I can find enough hi-res photos in my data base to see when that change too place. I'm going to guess it was in the early 1990s, when the ST graphics changed.
Old 01-07-19, 11:00 AM
flx100

Thank you. Are there any serial numbers on there?
nope
Old 01-07-19, 03:20 PM
Kevindale

Thanks, @flx100.
@rlorenz2, I just checked a few dozen photos in my database. The signature decal first went into use around 1981-1982. There are a few bikes I can fairly confidently date to 1980, and they lack that decal. All the bikes with FD tabs have it. Moreover, virtually every bike in my database with the signature decal has the "Tommasini Irio" style decal, which is why I didn't notice the change. I have only gathered photos on a handful of bikes that are from about 1994 or later, and only one of these bikes has the "Irio Tommasini" style. So my guess is sometime in the mid-late 1990s is when the change happened. If we get more people with more modern Tommasinis putting their info here or in the Tommasini Timeline thread, we can pin it down more accurately.
Old 01-08-19, 08:41 AM
rlorenz2

Bikes: 80' Tommasini Prestige, 85' Tommasini Super Prestige, Miele Chic, Miyata 312

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Stunning! Great job! I'm curious, did they bring back the 'T' drain hole cutout in the BB shell? And can you decipher the SN?

In all my obsessive comparing various Tommasini graphics styles, I never noticed that the signature was changed! Good catch. People rarely take a closeup of that decal, and I just assumed it didn't change and never paid too much attention. Now I'll have to go back and see if I can find enough hi-res photos in my data base to see when that change too place. I'm going to guess it was in the early 1990s, when the ST graphics changed.
@rlorenz2 , I just checked a few dozen photos in my database. The signature decal first went into use around 1981-1982. There are a few bikes I can fairly confidently date to 1980, and they lack that decal. All the bikes with FD tabs have it. Moreover, virtually every bike in my database with the signature decal has the "Tommasini Irio" style decal, which is why I didn't notice the change. I have only gathered photos on a handful of bikes that are from about 1994 or later, and only one of these bikes has the "Irio Tommasini" style. So my guess is sometime in the mid-late 1990s is when the change happened. If we get more people with more modern Tommasinis putting their info here or in the Tommasini Timeline thread, we can pin it down more accurately.
Thanks @Kevindale
The 'T' cut drain hole is not back unfortunately. It has the 3 diagonal lines in the BB with channel cable guides and the small bridge integrated with the BB.

The serial number at least for this limited run of frames is quite easy and clear as appose to my earlier frame. S/N: 007H018; '007' is the frame production number, 'H' is the month (August), and '18' for the year.

Last but not least, received feedback from Barbara regarding the top tube signature. She stated "In regards to the signature, it started to change in mid 90's in favor of a more "friendly" way of signing."
Old 01-15-19, 09:45 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,928 Times in 1,493 Posts
This information has been in the bag with my Bianchi catalogs for years. I don't where it came from and I don't see any dates other then the Bicycling magazine date of '92. Maybe a got it from a Rep or something.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 01-15-19, 08:13 PM
shanone9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for posting the article. Thought I saw my frame in the catalog pic, but not.

Can anyone say when the Super Prestige went to a chrome head tube lug?
My late 80s/early 90s "Marbo Nero' example has painted head tube lugs, not chrome.

I'd post some pics but the site won't let me until I have 10 posts.......
Old 01-19-19, 08:27 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Adding my new addition to this awesome lounge.
Old 01-21-19, 07:54 PM
shanone9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Adding my new addition to this awesome lounge"

Nice...I have its 'Nero' twin. Looks like same size too.

Curious if you know the year of the your Super Prestige?
Mine does not have chrome HT lugs either. Also, my rear triangle is chrome, looks like your is painted.

(Someday I will be able to post pics....i know I have more than 3 posts now.....)
Old 01-22-19, 08:43 AM
shoota 

Originally Posted by shanone9
"Adding my new addition to this awesome lounge"

Nice...I have its 'Nero' twin. Looks like same size too.

Curious if you know the year of the your Super Prestige?
Mine does not have chrome HT lugs either. Also, my rear triangle is chrome, looks like your is painted.

(Someday I will be able to post pics....i know I have more than 3 posts now.....)
Barbara said it was probably 86-87. Send me a PM with your pics (or I can send you my email) and I will post them for you if you'd like. I really want to see it.
Old 01-22-19, 09:51 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
Originally Posted by shanone9
Thanks for posting the article. Thought I saw my frame in the catalog pic, but not.

Can anyone say when the Super Prestige went to a chrome head tube lug?
My late 80s/early 90s "Marbo Nero' example has painted head tube lugs, not chrome.

I'd post some pics but the site won't let me until I have 10 posts.......
Your frame should be 1988-1990. Marble was introduced in 1988 and replaced by Colonia for 1991, at least in North America. The standard marble frames, as depicted in company literature for this period all had painted head lugs.
Old 02-07-19, 06:20 PM
teisco 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 8 Posts
Have chance to buy a used but very nice 80's Tommasini Super Prestige SLX, no Campy record but instead sports Chorus and C record Cobalto brakes and Campy Vento wheels..red with chrome legs and chrome front lugs ....asking $600. Should I? Always wanted in this club and now is my chance but need to be resonable as well.
Old 02-07-19, 06:37 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by teisco
Have chance to buy a used but very nice 80's Tommasini Super Prestige SLX, no Campy record but instead sports Chorus and C record Cobalto brakes and Campy Vento wheels..red with chrome legs and chrome front lugs ....asking $600. Should I? Always wanted in this club and now is my chance but need to be resonable as well.
I'd end up spending more than that to build a good bike. You aren't likely to find a good one for less, I'd think. The question is, is it in good shape and does it fit? I guess that's two questions, isn't it? Oops, now it's three.
Old 02-07-19, 10:18 PM
shoota 

Man if it's in good shape I'd say that's more than reasonable.
Old 02-08-19, 09:55 AM
Dean51 

From your text description, I'd be VERY interested at that price. Pics please if you proceed with purchase!!

Dean
Old 02-08-19, 10:52 AM
teisco 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 8 Posts
From your text description, I'd be VERY interested at that price. Pics please if you proceed with purchase!!

Dean
Bought it....pics to follow....
Old 02-08-19, 10:57 AM
Dean51 

Bought it....pics to follow....
Welcome to the Lounge!!!

Dean

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.