Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Of the major Italian builders, where would you put each in regards to hierarchy?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Of the major Italian builders, where would you put each in regards to hierarchy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-17, 11:38 AM
hobbs1951
Velominatus

Bikes: 1986 SBDU Raleigh, 1984 Raleigh Corsa, 1980 Allin Stan Butler Special, 2 x late 1960s Roberts, 1978 Philbook, 1964 Allin Belgique, 1959 Allin Stan Butler Special, 1951 Higgins Plus Parfait, 1951 Hobbs of Barbican, 1913 Centaur Featherweight.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 23 Posts
If we are referring to the classic period then four Italian builders stand out (for me) -

Cinelli
Colnago
De Rosa
Masi.

In the post classic era, but still using steel -

Zullo
Pegoretti.

Of the above two I'm thinking of ordering a Zullo. I only own currently one Italian, a Team Liquigas Bianchi (made in Italy and from the race shop).

John.
Likes For hobbs1951:
Old 04-23-17, 12:30 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by atelier onda
This are not italian frame builders
Right. Aaron and his pesky American sense of humor.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 04-23-17, 02:33 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by Scooper
Right. Aaron and his pesky American sense of humor.
Alleged sense of humor
Old 04-23-17, 07:57 PM
fleslider 

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 91 Posts
Ok Italian Aficionado's heres one i have a question on, I ask because i was given a frame that needs some repair, but not sure if its worth it.

The frame is a Dancelli. How do these measure up in the great Italian Bike builders?
Old 09-04-17, 05:54 PM
montagna_lunga
sc*l*tor*

Bikes: legion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
First post, and I know it will be a bump of a thread thats....

the five masters:
Derosa
Cinelli
Masi
Pogiaghi
Colnago
Old 09-04-17, 06:24 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 831 Times in 540 Posts
Originally Posted by montagna_lunga
First post, and I know it will be a bump of a thread thats....

the five masters:
Derosa
Cinelli
Masi
Pogiaghi
Colnago
I might replace (or extend it) one of those with Pinarello, if it were my list....
But then I might be biased....
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 09-04-17, 06:30 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 831 Times in 540 Posts
The Italians seemed to have invented modern racing geometry, that surpass most from other countries. I still cannot believe how much my Alan Carbonio handles so much better than all my other bikes which are mostly not Italian. And it certainly is not the material that the bike was made from, but the geometry of the frame.
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 09-04-17, 08:21 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by Chombi1
I might replace (or extend it) one of those with Pinarello, if it were my list....
But then I might be biased....
I'd definitely include a beloved rooster
Old 09-04-17, 09:00 PM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
I'd definitely include a beloved rooster
Add the Rooster and leave out the Colnago.
Old 09-05-17, 12:15 AM
Wulf

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Pegoretti is fairly new and from the examples I have seen are works of art in the same category as Bruce Gordon or Eisentraut.
De Rosa and Masi are my Iti dream cycles. I don't care about the rest.
Old 09-07-17, 06:42 AM
El Chaba

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 566 Times in 197 Posts
There was a different cultural context for the Italian builders than there is today, especially in the US. There was no desire among the Italians in that time period to spend their entire career building solo to keep the craft pure, etc. They all were interested in growing the company. So the guys who ended up standing out were the ones who could successfully expand their production while maintaining a reputation for high quality. For me, the companies that come to mind for having successfully done this are:
Masi
DeRosa
Cinelli
Colnago
Gios
Pogliaghi
Pinarello

Some others successfully followed the model years later, and there is overlap. There are also examples where the builders reached a size where they really could not maintain the same quality. Just as an example, there are frames from both Colnago and Gios in certain periods of high production/demand that are "lacking"....but then there are the outstanding examples as well...This is a fun topic...
Old 09-07-17, 07:29 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by El Chaba
There was a different cultural context for the Italian builders than there is today, especially in the US. There was no desire among the Italians in that time period to spend their entire career building solo to keep the craft pure, etc. They all were interested in growing the company. So the guys who ended up standing out were the ones who could successfully expand their production while maintaining a reputation for high quality. For me, the companies that come to mind for having successfully done this are:
Masi
DeRosa
Cinelli
Colnago
Gios
Pogliaghi
Pinarello

Some others successfully followed the model years later, and there is overlap. There are also examples where the builders reached a size where they really could not maintain the same quality. Just as an example, there are frames from both Colnago and Gios in certain periods of high production/demand that are "lacking"....but then there are the outstanding examples as well...This is a fun topic...
This is true to some extent, for certain companies, but not of every Italian builder. Many were perfectly content as small, even one man shops, without expanding at all. Marnati and Marastoni immediately jump to mind. There are many, many others. I'm not convinced Pinarello ever built frames, and I haven't seen any information I'd consider reliable on who made what. Remember they sold plenty of city bikes and kids bikes. Pinarello was a high end shop in Turin...some early Pinarellos are Cinelli built. Mine is Galmozzi built.

De Rosa did expand, but never like Colnago, or Masi. He never had the ambition Ernesto did, or the desire to expand past a small family run business selling boutique bikes. Like any business, different owners had different goals. It's not accurate to say that all of them wanted one thing or another...not all of them wanted to be Colnago, even if they admired him. Some may have recognized that they didn't have the set of skills to expand past a builder and into a corporate management role.

If you've followed some of the horror stories around some US custom builders, it's easy to see that not everyone gets the business side of things enough to be ambitious. I work a lot with small businesses, and very few of them are capable of managing what they have properly, let alone expanding. Many of the folks who do know how to do those things are more risk adverse and would never consider it. Entrepreneurship and management are often VERY different skill sets that tend to not exist in the same person...so you usually need two + people who can work together effectively. That's difficult.

Ernesto Colnago might never have built a complete frame...and he certainly wasn't a frame builder in the way that Ugo De Rosa was. He was always a businessman more than a frame builder, so they really aren't in the same category if that makes sense.

As far as success, or standing out, it depends on the person doing the judging and their criteria. I'm more interested in the smaller boutique guys than I am in Masi. Most people are far more interested in the pre-Columbo Cinellis, which were small number builds.

You're right that the one man artisan sweating every detail has some element of myth to it.

As was probably mentioned before, a lot of the "hierarchy" is also dependent on the era of the builder/brand...Frejus in 1943 is not Frejus of the late 70s.

I won't say they're the top of a hierarchy, but the Italians I'm most attracted to are basically the ones I own. That's why I have them. What's interesting to me may not be as interesting to you, and I tend to prefer more esoteric stuff. I don't have a Colnago. If I wanted one I'd have one. That doesn't mean I don't think Colnago is an important brand, or "worthy", it's just not what lights my fire.

Last edited by KonAaron Snake; 09-07-17 at 07:49 AM.
Old 09-07-17, 07:33 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked 5,003 Times in 1,783 Posts
Originally Posted by Wulf
Pegoretti is fairly new and from the examples I have seen are works of art in the same category as Bruce Gordon or Eisentraut.
De Rosa and Masi are my Iti dream cycles. I don't care about the rest.
Pegoretti would be a dream bike for me based on how good the two Giordana's I have ride. Dario helped design those frames and there's just something magical about how they feel when I'm out on the road with them.
Old 09-07-17, 08:07 AM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
This is true to some extent, for certain companies, but not of every Italian builder. Many were perfectly content as small, even one man shops, without expanding at all. Marnati and Marastoni immediately jump to mind. There are many, many others. I'm not convinced Pinarello ever built frames, and I haven't seen any information I'd consider reliable on who made what. Remember they sold plenty of city bikes and kids bikes. Pinarello was a high end shop in Turin...some early Pinarellos are Cinelli built. Mine is Galmozzi built.

De Rosa did expand, but never like Colnago, or Masi. He never had the ambition Ernesto did, or the desire to expand past a small family run business selling boutique bikes. Like any business, different owners had different goals. It's not accurate to say that all of them wanted one thing or another...not all of them wanted to be Colnago, even if they admired him. Some may have recognized that they didn't have the set of skills to expand past a builder and into a corporate management role.

If you've followed some of the horror stories around some US custom builders, it's easy to see that not everyone gets the business side of things enough to be ambitious. I work a lot with small businesses, and very few of them are capable of managing what they have properly, let alone expanding. Many of the folks who do know how to do those things are more risk adverse and would never consider it. Entrepreneurship and management are often VERY different skill sets that tend to not exist in the same person...so you usually need two + people who can work together effectively. That's difficult.

Ernesto Colnago might never have built a complete frame...and he certainly wasn't a frame builder in the way that Ugo De Rosa was. He was always a businessman more than a frame builder, so they really aren't in the same category if that makes sense.

As far as success, or standing out, it depends on the person doing the judging and their criteria. I'm more interested in the smaller boutique guys than I am in Masi. Most people are far more interested in the pre-Columbo Cinellis, which were small number builds.

You're right that the one man artisan sweating every detail has some element of myth to it.

As was probably mentioned before, a lot of the "hierarchy" is also dependent on the era of the builder/brand...Frejus in 1943 is not Frejus of the late 70s.

I won't say they're the top of a hierarchy, but the Italians I'm most attracted to are basically the ones I own. That's why I have them. What's interesting to me may not be as interesting to you, and I tend to prefer more esoteric stuff. I don't have a Colnago. If I wanted one I'd have one. That doesn't mean I don't think Colnago is an important brand, or "worthy", it's just not what lights my fire.
I agree with you on the Colnago's. Not my cup of Tea either. I owned one back in the 70's and it really wasn't anything special. I actually preferred riding my Trek. What I don't understand about Colnago's is the prices they go for. Considering how prolific a builder Ernesto was.
Old 09-07-17, 08:21 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by Wileyone
I agree with you on the Colnago's. Not my cup of Tea either. I owned one back in the 70's and it really wasn't anything special. I actually preferred riding my Trek. What I don't understand about Colnago's is the prices they go for. Considering how prolific a builder Ernesto was.
They had a lot of peleton wins in their day and they marketed well. Visibly, especially in my era, there were eye catching designs and good distribution. Colnago was available...I never heard of Picchio, or Marastoni, when I was a kid...but I knew Colnago...everyone did. It was the $$$ bike you couldn't afford and want from nostalgia.

You don't have to be an educated buyer, or collector, to know about Colnago...the brand is synonymous with Italian racing bikes. A lot of people don't want to go past the biggest couple of names, and Colnago is going to get more recognition from other people who have no idea what a Galmozzi is. That matters to some people.

With mostly any manufactured item, there's a more common "high end brand" that most people know about, but isn't necessarily the most boutique epitome of quality. Think Rolex...everyone knows Rolex. I don't know watches, but I know Rolex. There are other brands that real watch guys prize more.
Old 09-07-17, 08:26 AM
mackgoo

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 95 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33, Gold plated Columbus AIR Guerciotti, 74 Galmozzi Super Competizione, 52 Bianchi Paris Roubaix.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 542 Times in 167 Posts
Bianchi
Colnago
De Rosa
Cinelli
Masi
Old 09-07-17, 08:33 AM
IVARR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
since i was about 14 or 15 ( three years before i even built my first road bike in 1986, at the time my life and world was bmx ) , " my " bike shop had a gios frame and fork w/headset proudly on display.
that's all i ever wanted.
Old 09-07-17, 09:08 AM
El Chaba

I agree with KonAaron's reply to my post as this topic necessarily paints with a broad brush. As soon as we get beyond recognizing a particular frame/bike as a great example of the craft...and that there are others from the same builder(s) that are similar the slippery slope begins...
Old 09-07-17, 09:16 AM
El Chaba

Originally Posted by IVARR
since i was about 14 or 15 ( three years before i even built my first road bike in 1986, at the time my life and world was bmx ) , " my " bike shop had a gios frame and fork w/headset proudly on display.
that's all i ever wanted.
I find that Gios is the name that is often left out of the conversation of the "top x number of great Italian builders". When it is brought up, it is then included. I've seen quite a few Gios frames over the years and I've never seen one poorly built. I have seen some with finish work that was "workmanlike"..and paint and chrome was fragile in some periods (this work seems to have been mostly subcontracted)....then there are quite a few that are VERY nicely finished. They also always seem to be nice and straight. So, I really like them. I am more of a "DeRosa guy", but the Gios that I have has a combination of ride and handling that is brilliant. I will never part with this bike...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Giostonton1.jpg (73.8 KB, 262 views)
Likes For El Chaba:
Old 09-07-17, 09:20 AM
St33lWh33ls

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
I'm surprised Olmo isn't showing up much. During the late 70's I wanted a fat thin wall tubed Olmo in the worse way. Not a connoisseur of Italian iron but Olmo has to be a top 10 if not top 5 builder, or am I missing something?
Old 09-07-17, 09:21 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by El Chaba
I agree with KonAaron's reply to my post as this topic necessarily paints with a broad brush. As soon as we get beyond recognizing a particular frame/bike as a great example of the craft...and that there are others from the same builder(s) that are similar the slippery slope begins...
One thing in the OPs post/title that might be interesting to discuss is the word "major". Major when? Determined by impact? Sales? Brand recognition? Tour victories? Exports to the US? Olympia is more "major" than Pogliaghi in a lot of ways.

This stuff is too slippery a slope to answer anyway but vague and meaningless.

Originally Posted by St33lWh33ls
I'm surprised Olmo isn't showing up much. During the late 70's I wanted a fat thin wall tubed Olmo in the worse way. Not a connoisseur of Italian iron but Olmo has to be a top 10 if not top 5 builder, or am I missing something?
It depends on your criteria...many of their higher end offerings were contract built and they had a full line/range of bikes. They probably aren't top 10 in terms of prestige in the eyes of most collectors. They aren't top 10 in terms of impact or influence. It doesn't mean they didn't make some good bikes, or had some good bikes made with Olmo labels.

Last edited by KonAaron Snake; 09-07-17 at 09:25 AM.
Old 09-07-17, 09:35 AM
St33lWh33ls

It depends on your criteria...many of their higher end offerings were contract built and they had a full line/range of bikes. They probably aren't top 10 in terms of prestige in the eyes of most collectors. They aren't top 10 in terms of impact or influence. It doesn't mean they didn't make some good bikes, or had some good bikes made with Olmo labels.
I was not aware of the contract builds, at one time he was a successful racer turned builder. Who contract built Olmo bikes?
Old 09-07-17, 09:43 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by St33lWh33ls
I was not aware of the contract builds, at one time he was a successful racer turned builder. Who contract built Olmo bikes?
Marnati for one.
Old 09-07-17, 10:06 AM
St33lWh33ls

Marnati for one.
Thanks for the info, I thought everything was built at the Olmo factory in his home town of Celle Ligure Italy.
Old 09-07-17, 05:09 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,805 Times in 1,409 Posts
Major when?
I'll pick 1932.

Maino
Lygie
Stucchi
Gloria
Bianchi

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.