Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why won't you use a bell on a shared path?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why won't you use a bell on a shared path?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-21, 06:58 PM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Anti-bike bell? Oh, brother.

Just use it to politely to make your presence known. If that doesn't work, either use your voice or sound your other louder horn.

Carry on. Don't let it ruin your day.
heaven forbid if one has to slow down!
Likes For gringomojado:
Old 04-24-21, 07:17 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18423 Post(s)
Liked 15,572 Times in 7,335 Posts
Originally Posted by fredlord
I'm sorry I've hurt you. Can you forgive? What can I do to make it right?
*yawn* Lamest device of a
Old 04-24-21, 07:19 PM
fredlord

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
I seldom feel the need to say anything when I pass, even on a shared path. I see some riders use their bell every time they pass any person, regardless of distance, which I find wholly unnecessary and completely annoying.
Knowing when to ring and when not to ring is a subtle art. If you're on a super-crowded path as in the video posted earlier, then yes, I would also find the constant ringing annoying.
Old 04-24-21, 07:21 PM
fredlord

Originally Posted by indyfabz
*yawn* Lamest device of a
You certainly seem determined to be unpleasant to me, and I can't figure out why, although I have my suspicions.
Old 04-24-21, 07:36 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
People hate bells.

The occasional person needs to use an airzound to make bells seem civilized in comparison.

I say "passing" which still gets dirty looks. People are so self-centered and entitled.

I used to just cough, but that might not be a great idea nowadays.

If someone doesn't like this subject, they can just scroll on by, but lets not start rhetorically biting each other's ankles please.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 04-24-21, 07:38 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Sounding a warning is required on all our city, county and state trails. It’s also polite and a good idea.

I always use the bell first at a non-startling distance but barely within typical earshot, unless my hands are both busy (when I will announce myself) or it’s already clear they know I’m about to overtake them.

I will then generally also say something about the manner in which I will pass by if they haven’t acknowledged the bell and also always if they look my age or older, as HF hearing loss means that many folks don’t easily detect the sound of a bell.

My advanced notice is almost invariably appreciated. YMMV.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 04-24-21, 07:40 PM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Yes, bells are pretty much useless on the road when you're mixing it with cars and other noisy traffic. But why won't you use your bell (it's a legal requirement in NSW) when you're on a quiet path that you are sharing with pedestrians and slower cyclists. Is it because
  1. you assume everyone else is deaf because of earphones?
  2. you don't have a bell because of the weight/aero penalty?
  3. you prefer to shout or whistle to warn people of your presence, and constantly making noises never gets old for you?
  4. there's no law that says you have to?
  5. you just don't like people, and scaring them or inconveniencing them shows them your disdain for them?
  6. you just couldn't be arsed?
My opinion: I decided very early in my cycling renaissance that - when on a shared path - I would use a bell almost every time I was about to pass another person. That meant that, yes, at times on my journey I might be ringing every 20 seconds. Big deal. The upside is that I can alleviate some of the guesswork when predicting what the person in front of me might be about to do.

And, if the person/people actually make the effort to move over or reign in their dog/offspring, I say "thanks" as I pass. What an old Fred am I?
OK, fine, I’ll play (since you keep asking others what you’ve done that is rude).

Section A. You began this post with a rhetorical hypothetical, supposing that someone said that they will NOT use their bell. It sounds like you were having a heated discussion with someone, which is meant to lend you authoritativeness, but in fact you were not- it’s just a style to launch into a screed which nobody (other than you) had on their mind.

Section B. Now for your numbered “questions”:
1. Nobody assumes everyone is deaf due to headphones (and thus won’t bother to use a bell- nobody except YOU posited that).
2. See answer to #1 - your derisive attitude toward weight-conscious riders is out of nowhere expect your head
3. Ditto- if you are referring back to a conversation you were having elsewhere with a forum member, it might be good to explain that?
4. You suggest here that people are only concerned re: the common good if there is a law mandating this; again, nobody knows from where this cynical attitude springs except for you at this point.
5. Have you been scared or inconvenienced by callous lack of bell usage, or (again) are you a. trolling or b. letting out thoughts that have been preoccupying you?
6. “You just couldn’t be arsed” - I’ve always found this an amusing piece of British slang, but it’s odd to accuse [no one] of that in this case, because your invective is out of NOWHERE...
and THAT is why you are being accused of 1. aggressive rudeness and/or 2. trolling!
Likes For Charliekeet:
Old 04-24-21, 07:40 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Uhh, bells are for losers. Duh...
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 04-24-21, 07:57 PM
fredlord

Originally Posted by unterhausen
People hate bells.
That assertion cannot make any sense. Do you perhaps mean "I and some people I know hate bells"?
Likes For fredlord:
Old 04-24-21, 07:59 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by HD3andMe
People who like to pretend that bells are a panacea are funny.
No pretending at all...I've been using a bell for the last 14 years and it has never failed me...The real problem is with cyclists who don't have enough common sense to figure out how to use a bell correctly because all they focused on is their strava time and speed.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 04-24-21, 08:08 PM
MrWasabi

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Traverse 1.3, 2020 Electra Cruiser 1, 1995 Giant CFM-4

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 36 Posts
I have this one as I got tired of saying ding, ding, ding.

Old 04-24-21, 08:20 PM
sdimattia

Bikes: Wabi Classic, Bombtrack Hook, Bombtrack Tension, Vitus Substance

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
In my experience, it's easier and faster to alert people vocally. Ringing your bell only tells me you're behind me. I'd prefer to know where you are behind me or (on your left / on your right) or which side you want to pass on so I can get out of your way (or you out of my mine) and we can go about our days. Two objects simultaneously trying to avoid each other tend to collide much more frequently as it's easier to avoid something that isn't moving. If I have plenty of room to pass, I won't bother announcing it.

People who run red lights and ring their bells expecting me to get out of their way piss me off to no end (usually CitiBikers).
Old 04-24-21, 08:21 PM
fredlord

Originally Posted by Charliekeet
OK, fine, I’ll play
Charlie

I came here for a civilized argument, not a discussion. It's never my intention to insult. I titled the thread the way I did because I'm addressing cyclists who never use their bell. I encounter these types of cyclists weekly, and I see the negative attitude towards cyclists that they often elicit from Joe Public. And on occasion they have adversely affected me or my riding buddies. I cannot see how that title could be regarded as an insult, but if anyone got offended, sorry!

If you look throughout this thread and other threads on BF you will see that some riders most definitely do assume that some peds have earbud-caused deafness.

I have seen too many examples of some cyclist's obsessions with weight and aero to not have included them as possible reasons for not ringing on approach. Examples also abound of cyclists nominating non-bell alternatives to signalling their presence.

"Couldn't be arsed" is a politer, friendlier version of cbf, at least, tht's how intended it! Do you not think there are cyclists who are too lazy to do the right thing? There must be, as cyclists are humans, and some humans just don't care. It was those people to whom I was addressing my questions.
Old 04-24-21, 08:27 PM
fredlord

Originally Posted by sdimattia
In my experience, it's easier and faster to alert people vocally. Ringing your bell only tells me you're behind me. I'd prefer to know where you are behind me or (on your left / on your right) or which side you want to pass on so I can get out of your way (or you out of my mine) and we can go about our days. Two objects simultaneously trying to avoid each other tend to collide much more frequently as it's easier to avoid something that isn't moving. If I have plenty of room to pass, I won't bother announcing it.

People who run red lights and ring their bells expecting me to get out of their way piss me off to no end (usually CitiBikers).
I agree, except having had to ride for a while without a bell eventually became too boring for me. On the paths I use, a bell gets the required response 80% of the time. The rest of the time, I have to use plan B.
Old 04-24-21, 09:26 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 744 Posts
Charlie

I came here for a civilized argument, not a discussion. It's never my intention to insult. I titled the thread the way I did because I'm addressing cyclists who never use their bell. I encounter these types of cyclists weekly, and I see the negative attitude towards cyclists that they often elicit from Joe Public. And on occasion they have adversely affected me or my riding buddies. I cannot see how that title could be regarded as an insult, but if anyone got offended, sorry!
So you are attacking the perceived issue from a moral superiority standpoint, and looking for an argument. Okay... That's civilized...
Old 04-24-21, 09:29 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
I use a bell at times when I feel it is wise to do so. Typically not more than a couple times per ride. Some rides not at all.

That may change as Spring turns into summer and more people are out.

I don't have a loud voice and I've found people don't hear me even if I shout.
Old 04-24-21, 10:13 PM
fredlord

Originally Posted by phughes
So you are attacking the perceived issue from a moral superiority standpoint
I think there are many instances where cyclists should use a bell, and don't. I'm trying to do two things: understand why they don't use a bell, and try to convince them to reconsider.

Yes, I guess I feel morally superior to those folks, but that seems like a strange way to look at it, to me. Do you think of yourself as "morally superior" to people who e.g. litter or mistreat animals? Or do you just wish they'd stop and try to reason with them?

I guess another option is to do nothing, lest someone label you arrogant, or a troll, or something.
Old 04-24-21, 10:22 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
I have 5 bikes with drop bars. Where do I put a bell? Near the stem means it is nowhere near where I keep my hands in iffy situations and I treat pedestrians as being slightly organized electrons. No way am I putting anything besides a proper brake lever out where my hands belong. And having climbing as a first love, the same goes for the taped area of the tops.

I find in general, a nice call-out (I only use "on your left" for those I believe are savvy cyclists) works nicely. I often get thanked.

So my approach leaves my handlebars clean, allows me to keep my hands where they belong, appears to work and is often considered courteous. Is there an issue here? (It's also light, clean, cheap and one (5) fewer thing(s) to have to deal with.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 04-24-21, 10:26 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Yes, bells are pretty much useless on the road when you're mixing it with cars and other noisy traffic. But why won't you use your bell (it's a legal requirement in NSW) when you're on a quiet path that you are sharing with pedestrians and slower cyclists. Is it because
  1. you assume everyone else is deaf because of earphones?
  2. you don't have a bell because of the weight/aero penalty?
  3. you prefer to shout or whistle to warn people of your presence, and constantly making noises never gets old for you?
  4. there's no law that says you have to?
  5. you just don't like people, and scaring them or inconveniencing them shows them your disdain for them?
  6. you just couldn't be arsed?
My opinion: I decided very early in my cycling renaissance that - when on a shared path - I would use a bell almost every time I was about to pass another person. That meant that, yes, at times on my journey I might be ringing every 20 seconds. Big deal. The upside is that I can alleviate some of the guesswork when predicting what the person in front of me might be about to do.

And, if the person/people actually make the effort to move over or reign in their dog/offspring, I say "thanks" as I pass. What an old Fred am I?
3. I'd rather speak to a person than ring a stupid-sounding bell. I can actually tell them what I am going to do.
Old 04-24-21, 10:37 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by wolfchild
What really startles, confuses and scares people is when some cyclists comes up from behind and starts shouting on your left or some other confusing jargon...Using a bell shouldn't scare, confuse and startle people. I've had people thank me for using a bell, never had a problem scaring or startling anybody.

I say "passing on your left" about 10 feet back (depending on speed of pass). Never startled or confused anyone doing this. I've seen plenty of people who can't figure out which side the bell is coming from. Is "passing on your left" confusing jargon to you? Some remedial educational may be in order.

This is one of these stupid arguments that get stirred up on BF every so often. Don't close ninja pass, otherwise it makes little to no difference what noise you make to make your presence known.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-24-21, 10:41 PM
fredlord

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I have 5 bikes with drop bars. Where do I put a bell?
On my drop-bar bikes I put the bell on the left bar on the inside, just where it curves down. I can hit it with my thumb when in the hoods or in the drops from a different angle, or with my pinky when on the tops. It doesn't interfere with anything.

Likes For fredlord:
Old 04-24-21, 10:44 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I am trying to be as civil as possible. If I am failing, I'd appreciate being told where I'm going wrong. Seriously.
Fine, the way you strawmanned your op makes it into a post that asserts that anyone who doesn't do things your way is a jerk.

It's called trolling, you came in looking only for an obviously nonproductive argument.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-24-21, 10:50 PM
fredlord

Originally Posted by livedarklions
3. I'd rather speak to a person than ring a stupid-sounding bell. I can actually tell them what I am going to do.
"Speaking to a person" will surely only work when you're crawling very slowly behind them. In my experience, that's a very small percentage of times.
As a musician, some bells sound better than others, but none sound stupid to me.
Old 04-24-21, 10:54 PM
fredlord

Don't close ninja pass, otherwise it makes little to no difference what noise you make to make your presence known.
I agree. It's just that on paths where I can achieve a fair speed yet still encounter plenty of people whom I have to pass, I'd rather use a bell than wear out my voice.
Likes For fredlord:
Old 04-24-21, 10:59 PM
fredlord

Fine, the way you strawmanned your op makes it into a post that asserts that anyone who doesn't do things your way is a jerk.

It's called trolling, you came in looking only for an obviously nonproductive argument.
I'm at a total loss as to how to answer this, except to refer you to post #69.
Likes For fredlord:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.