Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why won't you use a bell on a shared path?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why won't you use a bell on a shared path?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-21, 07:37 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by fredlord
Looks interesting. What sort of noise does it make?
Hmm.

https://www.mtbbell.com/
Old 04-25-21, 07:40 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by livedarklions
3. I'd rather speak to a person than ring a stupid-sounding bell. I can actually tell them what I am going to do.
The two things are not mutually exclusive.
Old 04-25-21, 07:43 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
People hate bells.

The occasional person needs to use an airzound to make bells seem civilized in comparison.
The more effective the means of warning, the more obnoxious it's bound to be. Can't get around that:

You don't think that some cyclists sometimes are more concerned with the segment they're riding than the people around them? From what I've seen, that seems like a pretty reasonable conclusion. Definitely not complete garbage.
By "Segment", sounds like you are referring to something like Strava segments? Really? On MUPs and in the Gen Cycling forum? If there are a lot of folks here hunting those KOMs, I'd be surprised.
Old 04-25-21, 07:53 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by vane171
Did anybody mention clicking your brake levers or just coasting your freewheel a bit? Either of these is mostly enough to alert people that something is coming from behind.
People will have no idea what the clicking noise is. A few people (a very few) might know what freewheel noise is. Many freewheels are quiet. It seems more practical to get a bell than picking a noisy freewheel. If they manage to hear these things, they aren't likely to know what's making them.

Most people know that a bicycle bell means a bicycle.

Originally Posted by vane171
And if you have noise cancelling earphones, at least you won't do the hen thing when I pass you.
Nothing is going to be perfect.
Old 04-25-21, 08:01 AM
Shay Howe 
2 speed- slow and slower

Bikes: Gravity X-Rod 8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
In older people, hearing loss begins with the higher frequencies, especially with men.

(I once asked an audiologist about this - I presumed there was something genetic about men that causes them to lose hearing earlier, and more severely. He shook his head and said, "No, it's just that men do more stupid things like shooting guns and playing with power tools." I thought for a moment, and agreed with him.)
Growing up on a farm before "hearing protection" while shooting was a thing, then working as an auto mechanic with an impact wrench then in a factory full of hydraulic machinery, the constant slight high-frequency whine in my ears and I both agree with you and said audiologist fully. .
Old 04-25-21, 08:05 AM
BEC111

Bikes: Specialized Turbo Vado SL

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Yes, bells are pretty much useless on the road when you're mixing it with cars and other noisy traffic. But why won't you use your bell (it's a legal requirement in NSW) when you're on a quiet path that you are sharing with pedestrians and slower cyclists. Is it because

My opinion: I decided very early in my cycling renaissance that - when on a shared path - I would use a bell almost every time I was about to pass another person. That meant that, yes, at times on my journey I might be ringing every 20 seconds. Big deal. The upside is that I can alleviate some of the guesswork when predicting what the person in front of me might be about to do.

And, if the person/people actually make the effort to move over or reign in their dog/offspring, I say "thanks" as I pass. What an old Fred am I?
This describes my position very well. Shared use means shared responsibility and shared care as well. For me, at least.
Old 04-25-21, 08:06 AM
Shay Howe 
2 speed- slow and slower

Bikes: Gravity X-Rod 8

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Looks interesting. What sort of noise does it make?
Had to look up an answer myself, and their ad makes it abundantly (and wonderfully, I love it) clear: MORE COWBELL!
Old 04-25-21, 08:17 AM
BEC111

Bikes: Specialized Turbo Vado SL

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
To get to the huge cemetery where I do my "serious" riding unpestered by pedestrians, dogs and slow cyclists, I have to negotiate 10km of shared path. On weekends, and particulalry since Covid, this path can sometimes teem with moving obstacles. If I used your methods I would be constantly shouting and slowing down unnecessarily. I'd have no voice left by Monday.
Early in the pandemic my MUP had more traffic (walkers, skaters, skateboarders, runners, families, cyclists, Etc.) that the beltway. (Washington DC region)
Old 04-25-21, 08:19 AM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Dominae
You mean like when you ring the bell and startle them and, scared and confused, they jump out in front of you?
That definitely can be an issue but it also occurs with a voice warning.

I really like my piercing/shrill Spurcycle bell.
Old 04-25-21, 08:21 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
On a MUP? Everywhere I've ridden on one, there's a law or a rule that states bicyclists must yield to pedestrians. I think we have the ninja passers to "thank" for an increasing number of posted speed limits on MUPs.

Holy inept analogy, Batman!​​​

But even your little chamois cargo of a brain was able to figure it out, so it worked as intended, didn’t it? Two parts sarcasm, one part disdain, a sprinkle of functional comparison, and you still correctly deduced that bicyclists are supposed to yield to pedestrians. So, tell, me, Robin: why is the OP working so hard to ring foot traffic out of his way on foot paths if he, the cyclist, is supposed to yield to them?
Old 04-25-21, 08:33 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by njkayaker
A few people (a very few) might know what freewheel noise is. Many freewheels are quiet. It seems more practical to get a bell than picking a noisy freewheel..
OTOH, I'd guess that frequent PEDs to a MUP certainly have had bikes coast by them previously and are quite familiar with a what a bicycle sounds like. Anything that sounds mechanical I'd guess is going to be interpreted by someone on a MUP as coming from a vehicle of some sort.
Old 04-25-21, 08:47 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
That assertion cannot make any sense. Do you perhaps mean "I and some people I know hate bells"?
No, I like bells. People are illogical about being passed. I would say 1 in ten are hostile about it. If they wanted not to share the path with bicycles, they should walk somewhere there are no bicycles. Like on a sidewalk.

Does that Timber! bell only work if the surface is rough?

Last edited by unterhausen; 04-25-21 at 08:52 AM.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 04-25-21, 08:57 AM
FelixScout
Rider who can know more

Bikes: 1995 Trek 850 Mountain Track turned trail and road bike, 1989 Centurion Le Mans RS, 1993 Bianchi Advantage. Dead: 1982 Schwinn Traveler

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
I recently bought one of these, but haven't tried it out yet. It seems a bit less obtrusive than a conventional bike bell. You can turn it off when you don't need it so it doesn't drive you nuts:

Would I be correct in assuming that would not work too well for me as a paved trail rider?
Old 04-25-21, 09:15 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
OTOH, I'd guess that frequent PEDs to a MUP certainly have had bikes coast by them previously and are quite familiar with a what a bicycle sounds like. Anything that sounds mechanical I'd guess is going to be interpreted by someone on a MUP as coming from a vehicle of some sort.
It’s still often too quiet. Clicking brake levers is rarely done and would be even less effective (few people will have any idea what that means).

Bicycles are really quiet until you are close anyway (riders should know that). Lots of freewheeled are quiet.

If they manage to hear it, they might “interpret it as from a vehicle of some sort”.

With a bell, they will know it’s a bicycle.

Last edited by njkayaker; 04-25-21 at 09:27 AM.
Old 04-25-21, 09:19 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
I use bells on all my bikes except my road (race) bike, TT bike and track bike. Lets people know I'm there. My daily driver (Giant TCR) has a ring bell and I prefer to use that over my voice to let my presence be known. On the MTB I ride "passive" style bells which ring constantly, louder if the terrain is rough. Hikers appreciate it and I get thank-you's and compliments all the time.

Be safe out there folks and remember to smile/wave!!! Also, slow down if the path is narrow and you're not 100% sure that they've acknowledged your presence, trail or MUP.
Old 04-25-21, 09:26 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by njkayaker
It’s still often too quiet. Clicking brake levers is rarely done and would be even less effective.m (few people will have any idea what that means).

If they manage to hear it, they might “interpret it as from a vehicle of some sort”.

With a bell, they will know it’s a bicycle.
True. However, as somewhat demonstrated in post #40, for whatever reason, Peds treat a bike bell as a "request", and whether it's out of spite or simple disregard or cool factor, tend to take their time moving out of the middles of paths (often when walking 2-4 abreast). A loud freewheel (which I now happen to have, but didn't seek), yields a quite bit quicker move of a pedestrian over to the side -- my guess is the mind's instantaneous interpretation of that sound is along the lines that "a bike is coming and I don't know how fast or if they'll wait for me to move over."
Old 04-25-21, 09:26 AM
tilsover

Bikes: 2019 KHS 1000; 1990 (or so) Trek 930

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 29 Posts
Bells are cool, but this is more my style. Good riding!
Old 04-25-21, 10:01 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
But even your little chamois cargo of a brain was able to figure it out, so it worked as intended, didn’t it? Two parts sarcasm, one part disdain, a sprinkle of functional comparison, and you still correctly deduced that bicyclists are supposed to yield to pedestrians. So, tell, me, Robin: why is the OP working so hard to ring foot traffic out of his way on foot paths if he, the cyclist, is supposed to yield to them?
That's what you meant by that?!?! Well, that's a stupid question and your analogy didn't convey that at all. Passing on the left after announcing or ringing a bell is literally the prescribed procedure by most path rules and law in the US. And your sprinkle of functional comparison succeeded only in dribbling down your own pants leg.

Last edited by livedarklions; 04-25-21 at 10:05 AM.
Old 04-25-21, 10:33 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
True. However, as somewhat demonstrated in post #40, for whatever reason, Peds treat a bike bell as a "request", and whether it's out of spite or simple disregard or cool factor, tend to take their time moving out of the middles of paths (often when walking 2-4 abreast). A loud freewheel (which I now happen to have, but didn't seek), yields a quite bit quicker move of a pedestrian over to the side -- my guess is the mind's instantaneous interpretation of that sound is along the lines that "a bike is coming and I don't know how fast or if they'll wait for me to move over."
You can still use both.

The loud freewheels are likely heard when you are close. They aren’t as loud to other people as cyclists think.

It surprises them (it’s too late and they don’t know what is making the noise). That’s why you get the startled, panic movement.
Old 04-25-21, 10:40 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by HD3andMe
People who like to pretend that bells are a panacea are funny.

https://youtu.be/6E3BoAM7UF4
This person should not be on that path... it's too crowded.
Old 04-25-21, 10:49 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
That's what you meant by that?!?! Well, that's a stupid question and your analogy didn't convey that at all. Passing on the left after announcing or ringing a bell is literally the prescribed procedure by most path rules and law in the US. And your sprinkle of functional comparison succeeded only in dribbling down your own pants leg.

Oh, so you didn't get it, after all. My apologies. I overestimated your computing power. I guess I rang your bell and no one was home. Sorry- I’ll try back later. Have a day. (Whatever kind you’re capable of.)
Old 04-25-21, 11:50 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
This person should not be on that path... it's too crowded.
Agreed. Or they could ride properly. Imagine if they were in a car, in congested traffic, weaving in and out to get every possible tiny advantage. We'd probably all have a similar reaction.

Riding in congested traffic -- pedestrian or vehicle -- is a skill.

There's a path in my town that goes past a Big Ten football stadium. On game days, it's pretty much impassible for cyclists, and I don't avoid it altogether, but I'm aware that I'll probably not be going any faster than foot traffic. And one of my skills that works quite well is to get off the bike and walk if it's that crowded.

All of my bikes have bells. I usually know that somebody has noticed me before I have to ring, so ringing is optional. And here in Wisconsin, all we need is just to politely announce: "Ope, sorry der, just sneaking up behind you on your left der, ope, thanks, sorry."
Old 04-25-21, 11:51 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,572 Times in 7,335 Posts
Originally Posted by HD3andMe
LOL.

Which part of “multi use” are you struggling with?
Let’s hope he was attempting to reference the Yogi Berra-ism “It’s so crowded no one goes there any more.”
Old 04-25-21, 11:55 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Who would have thunk this would rile so many in so short a time.

Just so I can get my 2¢ in.

When on the MUP, I've almost always given a "passing left" or "on your left" as I approach anyone from behind. If I see a group of people not paying attention, I'll even call out "heads up" just so they are aware of me before I get to them.

Noobs and those that only use the MUP a couple times a year might jump or actually turn and move to their left, but I give the alert in time for me to stop if they do something foolish. Some I perceive get the idea that I'm being cocky or demanding right-of-way. That's their problem if they do. They are noobs and likely won't be on the trail again for a long time.

Most of the regular users of the MUP I pass that are walking appreciate the alert and wave a hand signaling they heard me and even say "thank you" as I pass. When I walk with my wife, I also appreciate the increasing number of cyclist's that alert me as they come up behind.

Once and one time only, I heard a cyclist with a bell while I was walking. It was the common t'ling, tl'ing that I associate with bicycle bells. It didn't startle and it was apparent what it was. Never heard that bell in the over seven years hence.

I've heard a few others using another electronically generated sound that isn't readily identifiable as to what it is as they sounded more like a fog horn or other maritime signal. And because they were electronically generated at a weird frequency, it seemed to be harder to ascertain the direction if was from.

I'd be all for the little brass bell sound. As I said, it didn't startle. I can see it as being overused, but as opposed to the under used alerts that are ask for in the guidelines of most of the MUP's I've seen, It'd be preferred.
Old 04-25-21, 12:39 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
I don't see why this needed to get so ugly, but since it has, I'm closing it.
Likes For unterhausen:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.