Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I am now "that guy" at the LBS

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I am now "that guy" at the LBS

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-22, 05:40 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 999 Post(s)
Liked 1,207 Times in 693 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
Junction box? The only junction box I ever heard of is for Di2. Mechanical to hydraulic?
It makes mechanical brake levers work with hydraulic brakes (I don’t even know if “junction box” is the right word for it). For this bike, it’s integrated into the stem faceplate, which means I can only use the proprietary stem, and it interferes with mounting most items on the handlebar.
Old 11-05-22, 01:32 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Lombard I looked it up and apparently it's called a master cylinder. As you can see, it takes up the thick area of the handlebar, and the cables going into it block anything but a thin strap from mounting something to the skinnier part of the bar. Plus, I need to use the same model of stem or take a gamble that whatever other stem I want happens to match up to that faceplate.
Old 11-05-22, 02:43 PM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote
I cannot imagine what folks away from large metro are doing.
Ordering online.

When local bike shops tell you to order online... eh.
Old 11-05-22, 05:01 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Lombard I looked it up and apparently it's called a master cylinder. As you can see, it takes up the thick area of the handlebar, and the cables going into it block anything but a thin strap from mounting something to the skinnier part of the bar. Plus, I need to use the same model of stem or take a gamble that whatever other stem I want happens to match up to that faceplate.
Wow, I've never seen this. My disc brake bike has reservoirs in each shifter independent of each other. I don't know what Giant achieved other than one more proprietary part you have to go back to Giant for when it breaks. Nor do I get the point of having a partial cable/hydraulic system.
Old 11-05-22, 07:56 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6985 Post(s)
Liked 10,978 Times in 4,698 Posts

That is hideous.
Old 11-05-22, 07:59 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4746 Post(s)
Liked 1,535 Times in 1,006 Posts
It's very aero though.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 11-06-22, 12:50 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Wow, I've never seen this. My disc brake bike has reservoirs in each shifter independent of each other. I don't know what Giant achieved other than one more proprietary part you have to go back to Giant for when it breaks. Nor do I get the point of having a partial cable/hydraulic system.
Originally Posted by Koyote
That is hideous.
Yeah, so hideous that they made sure not to show them in advertising photos. Had I been able to see this bike in person before buying, I probably would have passed. It works fine, but why?
Old 11-06-22, 05:49 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Yeah, so hideous that they made sure not to show them in advertising photos. Had I been able to see this bike in person before buying, I probably would have passed. It works fine, but why?
Hmmm. I would never buy a new bike without test riding it first, but that's just me.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 11-06-22, 06:38 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 393 Posts
The one benefit I’ve found is that you can use your choice of shifters and still have hydraulic brakes. Agree that it’s hideous.
Likes For bboy314:
Old 11-06-22, 03:32 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Hmmm. I would never buy a new bike without test riding it first, but that's just me.
It was the height of the pandemic and I decided to get back into riding, but my old bike didn't fit me comfortably anymore (needed a much higher handlebar after aging 10 years). Pretty much nothing was available locally. I'm pretty adept at reading geometries and figuring out if it will fit me or not, but that grotesque thing on the front wasn't even something I was aware of.
Old 11-06-22, 04:19 PM
Chicken_fat

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bblair
I really didn't want to do this. My LBS has free labor for life if you bought the bike there. But they just can't get parts! I have waited about 5 weeks and still nothing.

So today, I stopped in and asked if I could pay labor to install parts if I can provide them. 3 or 4 online sources, from reputable places, have the part available and can be here in a few days. In fact, right now there is an ad above this message advertising the exact part I need! They said sure, other folks do that too.

Why can shops not get parts, but I can? Note, Amazon was just one source, and I did not choose that one.
My shifter broke during a ride and I went to my shop and tried to get it replaced but they couldn’t get a new one. I resorted to Amazon and had no issue having them put it on. I’ve done a lot of business locally but sometimes it doesn’t work out.