Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Best puncture-resistant 45C road tyre instead of WTB Riddlers?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Best puncture-resistant 45C road tyre instead of WTB Riddlers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-21, 09:45 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
If you're still looking, check out Michelin Protek Cross Max. Most bombproof tires I've ever ridden, nary a puncture in more than five years. I've plucked out staples, brads, small screws, shards of glass, radial tire wires, etc., from the tread and none of it got through the 5mm Aramid fiber puncture shield (comparable to Kevlar). Even cuts in the tread didn't get through the puncture shield.

The main advantage I can feel over various Continental and other tires that use rubber puncture shields is a better ride quality. The Michelins don't feel as harsh as, for example, my Conti Contact Speed II tires with an equally effective but harsh feeling puncture shield.

The Protek Cross Max is heavy and runs a bit wider than nominal specs, so the 700x40 runs closer to 700x45. The errand bike I run 'em on could handle the 700x47 version which probably runs closer to 700x50. That errand bike weighs nearly 35 lbs, so the heavier tires don't matter much. There are lighter options for lighter weight bikes.

To quickly sift through Michelin's nomenclature for their various Protek tires:
  • "Cross" usually refers to thicker chevron pattern tread.
  • "Max" refers to their thickest 5mm Aramid puncture shield.

So the regular Protek tires would have a 1mm Aramid puncture shield, thinner (but still substantial) chevron tread, and will be lighter and presumably ride a bit better. Protek Max would have the thinner tread but thicker puncture shield. I don't know whether Michelin still offers the Protek Cross, minus the thicker Max 5mm puncture shield, but it might still be available as new/old stock somewhere online. Check Bike Tires Direct, Jensen USA, Amazon, etc.

If I got a set to replace the harsh riding Conti Contact Speed tires on my other hybrid, I'd probably go for the regular Protek tire with 1mm puncture shield and thinner tread.
Old 06-05-21, 01:20 AM
fredlord

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
If you're still looking...
Am yet to make up my mind. I took the new bike out with its unaltered 45C Riddlers for its first serious (non-gravel) ride today, and really liked the feel of them. The idea of swapping them out for heavy Marathons, or inserting Tannus Armors with their added weight, is getting less appealing.

Until I get a puncture...
Old 06-05-21, 07:44 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Tire liners will make a noticeable difference in ride quality.

The good thing about them is they are easy to remove again.

I have a set of Mr Tuffy tire liners I would gladly give to you. But at only $12 new shipping might be as much as a grabbing some from a local walmart. If you want to experiment and have an old tire cut off the bead/sidewalls and use that as a liner. Probably will work as well and the Tannus units