Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

bike science: more than 1 way to turn a bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

bike science: more than 1 way to turn a bike?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-21, 01:42 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I've been cycling in all types of terrain and weather conditions including ice and snow for the past 14 years...After reading this thread I've decided to give up cycling for good because steering is just too damn complicated.
From now on, only straight roads for me. To change directions: stop, get off bike, lift it up, point it in the desired direction, and get back on. This technique always works.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 05-23-21, 01:56 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffOYB
I mentioned it earlier. ...Most sport riders today seem to have too much swoop in their turns and have stiff/straight arms and as a result many crash needlessly.

I never mentioned wide or tight turns.

Silly about teachers. But it would be helpful if an experienced biker who knew physics could explain the differences I'm seeing in turning.
Not arguing with you here, but actually I think the physics teacher who rides might be your best bet. I'm under the impression you are looking for a way to explain the science, and that actually is the teacher's job description. Just trying to suggest an alternative social media approach to your inquiry.

​​​​​​
Old 05-23-21, 01:58 PM
JeffOYB

Bikes: Uh... road, mtb, tour, CX (kludged), 3spd, 'bent, tandem, folder (the fam has another, what, 8)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Not arguing with you here, but actually I think the physics teacher who rides might be your best bet. I'm under the impression you are looking for a way to explain the science, and that actually is the teacher's job description. Just trying to suggest an alternative social media approach to your inquiry.

​​​​​​
Right! ...That's what I asked for in my first post! : ) someone who knows science and this kind of biking who can explain
Old 05-23-21, 02:01 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
I've been cycling in all types of terrain and weather conditions including ice and snow for the past 14 years...After reading this thread I've decided to give up cycling for good because steering is just too damn complicated.
You don’t learn until your 15th year. Keep the faith.
Old 05-23-21, 02:22 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Right! ...That's what I asked for in my first post! : ) someone who knows science and this kind of biking who can explain
You're looking for a pretty small overlap between two groups.

Maybe trying hanging out at a physicist bar and hope you get lucky?
Old 05-23-21, 02:26 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by tyrion
From now on, only straight roads for me. To change directions: stop, get off bike, lift it up, point it in the desired direction, and get back on. This technique always works.

Make sure your arms aren't too stiff when you lift the bike. Some undefined bad thing will happen. Something to do with proper swoop.
Old 05-23-21, 02:48 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
If you think it’s complicated when the bike is self-steering, check out this article:

How do bicycles balance themselves?

Towards the bottom, it highlights the ways that you could mess things up so that the bike would not be self-correcting. Now, that would be like a cycling nightmare! 😊

Otto
Old 05-23-21, 02:56 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

I think this article will be helpful.

https://theconversation.com/the-myst...-bicycle-55093

I’d suggest reading through the early parts, because the discussion is helpful.

Here are their findings: “We found that both novice and expert riders exhibit similar balance performance at slow speeds. But at higher speeds, expert riders achieve superior balance performance by employing smaller but more effective body movements and less steering. Regardless of speed, expert riders use smaller and less varying steering inputs and less body movement variation.

We conclude that expert riders are able to use body movements more effectively than novice riders, which results in reducing the demand for both large corrective steering and body movements.”

it doesn’t really address the finer distinction you are trying to make but gets a good framework for explaining how we balance on a bike.

What I was wanting to say earlier was that counter steering is a constant and integral part of balance on a bike. You can’t go down the block, much less around a corner, without counter steering. Put another way, a rider who isn’t counter steering is a fallen rider (or a stopped rider.)

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 05-23-21 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05-23-21, 05:55 PM
JeffOYB

Bikes: Uh... road, mtb, tour, CX (kludged), 3spd, 'bent, tandem, folder (the fam has another, what, 8)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I'm not trying to make fine distinctions. Nor am I questioning countersteering, beyond noting that wiki says the described science isn't complete.

I'm saying there are (at least) 2 notably different ways to turn, useful for common and different handling needs. ...One being "swoopy" for fast downhill turns. The other being "steery" for slippery, detail-oriented turns, flat and uphill turns, and obstacle avoidance.

I find that riders today are bad about the second kind, resulting in frequent crashes.

Both ways are easy to do and to demonstrate.

I also find that bike science people say there's only one way to turn a bike. I question this. Or, at least, I find that this "one way" can be expressed in a range that includes two hugely distinct styles, one of which is helpful and not well known. I was hoping to learn more about the science behind the range of turning/handling options.

I was part of the Detroit Wolverinces Sports Club coached by Mike Walden from the 60s-90s. He made us learn steer turning for safety and results. It was one of the winningest bike teams in US history. Also, I felt much safer after applying this skill. When biking with other groups and on tracks elsewhere around the US I felt safe because of what I learned and I noticed that many riders had low skills. I'm not nervous or at risk in groups. Many sport riders express concern when in close fast groups -- I suggest they wdn't have to if they learned a few skills. Walden also made us bend our arms. Bike science ppl agree this is the best way to ride -- there's no dispute there -- and many of today's riders don't use that skill, either, and crash more for that reason as well.
Old 05-23-21, 06:44 PM
indyfabz

*yawn*
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-23-21, 06:56 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I don’t really understand your purpose for posting this thread. You profess good skills, you were coached, (which is probably more than most can say), and have suggested to others you ride/compete with to learn those skills.

The only thing I can think of is nobody will listen to you and you were hoping to get support for your approach from people here.

If that is the case, then sure use what Mike Walden taught you. I’ll give you a thumbs up.

John
Old 05-23-21, 07:24 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I don’t really understand your purpose for posting this thread. You profess good skills, you were coached, (which is probably more than most can say), and have suggested to others you ride/compete with to learn those skills.

The only thing I can think of is nobody will listen to you and you were hoping to get support for your approach from people here.

If that is the case, then sure use what Mike Walden taught you. I’ll give you a thumbs up.

John
How the heck does one ride without bending your arms?
Old 05-23-21, 08:05 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Why ask me?

Ask the OP, he’s one who said the people he rides with ride with straight arms. I can only assume he means they lock their arms.

John
Old 05-23-21, 08:23 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
The same way that I ride without bending my legs. Swoop, there it is!
Old 05-23-21, 08:56 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
*yawn*
Copy that.
Likes For badger1:
Old 05-23-21, 09:33 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
I too have been hoping the bike science people would show up and properly explain swooping, diving, and steer turning.

Then again, if it's all explained too well, there goes your secret competitive edge!
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 05-23-21, 11:54 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Why ask me?

Ask the OP, he’s one who said the people he rides with ride with straight arms. I can only assume he means they lock their arms.

John
Sorry, I was weirdly agreeing with you, figuring maybe the reason people aren't listening to him is he's probably running around accusing them of bad steering.
Old 05-24-21, 12:21 AM
70sSanO

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
I too have been hoping the bike science people would show up and properly explain swooping, diving, and steer turning.

Then again, if it's all explained too well, there goes your secret competitive edge!
In the end, for most riding, it is all just moot. It doesn’t really matter if you lean, turn, or whatever. Most people have been riding since they were kids and never thought twice about it. I know I don’t think about it, except for some turns.

I do think that when pushing the speed into tighter turns, and, ironically for me and maybe age related, slow tight u-turns get my attention more.

I’m not a bike science guy, but I “suspect” that I countersteer when I dive, at least my term, into a corner which allows me to push the pace and stay tight in the corner. Likewise when I take the same/similar turn and do a poor job I’ll end up exiting wider. I’m not sure, but if I remember I’ll try to figure out if it is technique or just miss-judgment.

John
Old 05-24-21, 06:47 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Some readers may find Jobst Brandt’s thoughts on descending (choosing a line, cornering, braking and so on) interesting in the context of this discussion:

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/descending.html

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 05-24-21 at 08:39 AM.
Likes For ofajen:
Old 05-24-21, 07:47 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
So the real purpose of this thread was to promote your ability?

John
It appears the OP's real intent was a humble brag or a figjam scenario.
Old 05-24-21, 08:00 AM
seypat

Have we talking about leering yet? I think that's what most people do.

Leaning +steering = leering. That's the real secret.

BTW, as I was going through an open gate on a path yesterday, a big black snake started slithering across in front of me. The only thoughts that entered my mind were, "Aaaaack, a snake! Don't hit it." I took some kind of split second evasive action, missed it and kept going. I really can't explain how. Could someone else explain what I did?

Last edited by seypat; 05-24-21 at 08:08 AM.
Old 05-24-21, 08:07 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by indyfabz
*yawn*
Speaking of yawn, if you dropped the n you're left with yaw. Have yaw, pitch and roll entered into the discussion yet? I'm guessing it will at some point.
Likes For seypat:
Old 05-24-21, 08:20 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by seypat
Speaking of yawn, if you dropped the n you're left with yaw. Have yaw, pitch and roll entered into the discussion yet? I'm guessing it will at some point.
And if you drop the y you are left with awn, which, as many NYT crossword solvers know, is a stiff bristle. Quite fitting as this thread has made some bristle.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-24-21, 08:33 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
I'm saying there are (at least) 2 notably different ways to turn, useful for common and different handling needs. ...One being "swoopy" for fast downhill turns. The other being "steery" for slippery, detail-oriented turns, flat and uphill turns, and obstacle avoidance.
If you're cornering close to the limits of traction the lean angle defined by your center of gravity will be the same in both cases you've mentioned. The only difference is the speed is different. The horizontal force provided by the tires is v^2/r so as speeds increase the radius of the turn increases as well. What you're describing as a 'swoopy' turn is simply a turn taken at higher speed with a large radius. The lean angle (defined by CG) doesn't change.

I find that riders today are bad about the second kind, resulting in frequent crashes.
I've raced in crits with riders from Cat 5 to 1. The biggest difference I've observed is that inexperienced riders are not smooth, largely because they tend to stare at the wheel in front of them and don't keep their vision up. If your vision is focused on the horizon the need for quick turns is greatly diminished. I've never seen a crash caused by someone who didn't know how to turn.
Likes For gregf83:
Old 05-24-21, 08:40 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
Some readers may find Jobst Brandt’s thought on descending (choosing a line, cornering, braking and so on) interesting in the context of this discussion:

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/descending.html

Otto
Thanks, I did find it interesting.

Cornering requires estimating the required lean angle before reaching the apex of the turn where the angle with the road surface is the critical parameter rather the angle with the vertical, as is evident from banked curves. Lean angle is limited by the available traction that must be assessed from velocity and appearance of the surface. For good pavement, this angle is about 45 degrees, in the absence of oil, water, or smooth and slick spots. Therefore, a curve banked inward 10 degrees allows a lean of up to at least 55 degrees from the vertical, while a crowned road with no banking, where the surface falls off about 10 degrees, would allow only up to 35 degrees.

Once the basics of getting around a corner are developed, doing it fast involves careful use of the brakes. Besides knowing how steeply to lean in curves, understanding braking makes the difference between the average and the fast rider.

Some riders believe that sticking the knee out or leaning the body away from the bicycle improves cornering. Sticking out a knee is the same thing that riders without cleats do when they stick out a foot in dirt-track motorcycle fashion. On paved roads, this is a useless but reassuring gesture that, on uneven roads, even degrades control. Any body weight that is not centered over the bicycle (leaning the bike or sticking out a knee) puts a side load on the bicycle, and side loads cause steering motions over uneven road. Getting weight off the saddle is also made more difficult by such maneuvers.

Most of the "body English" riders display is gratuitous gesturing...
Brandt's assessment makes sense to me, and would seem to show that the fastest riders are going to be doing the same thing... Not some secret trick that only they know about. (especially any trick not tied to what one is actually doing with the bars) Though the details may be difficult to understand or explain, these skills can be quantified, analyzed, and then practiced to perfection. Practice being the most important key. Certainly many of the best bike handlers would struggle to explain it all, which is what makes threads like this so interesting. Everyone has their theories.

Since Jeff says he is faster than most in the corners, (and crashes less) he must be doing it right. Speed be with you my friend, and thanks for starting this thread!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.