Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Presta 'jumper'?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Presta 'jumper'?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-12, 02:58 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by David Bierbaum
Making a hose adapter for a frame pump sounds like an excellent idea to me. So much so, that I don't know why there aren't any actually for sale pre-made. You could make one really fancy, with built in pressure gauge, and plastic "floor-pump base" clip to turn your frame-fit pump into "floor pump lite"...

I sense entrepreneurial opportunity here...
You missed the opportunity since the Topeak Morph are just what you describe. Too bad. Better luck with your next idea.
Old 05-31-12, 03:03 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by SwampDude
I'm not using CO2 for topping off, just on-the-road flat repair to avoid carrying a pump. My floor pump is for keeping pressure up before each ride. I've never computed the cost of CO2/cylinder because I don't use many of them. I didn't realize CO2 escapes the tube faster than air, but it always gets me home to my old faithful floor pump.
OK but the OP is looking for a way to top off his tires routinely without buying more floor pumps so that's why I conluded you were recommending CO2 for that use. I also use CO2 for road-side flat repairs and the cost isn't a big deal since (knock wood) I don't have to do it very often.

CO2 does diffuse out faster than air but it's not important over a matter of hours, just days. When I use a CO2 cartridge to inflate a replacement tube, I deflate the tire after I get home and refill it with my floor pump.
Old 05-31-12, 03:28 PM
brandini

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by HillRider
the OP is looking for a way to top off his tires routinely without buying more floor pumps so that's why I conluded you were recommending CO2
This man knows what's up, new king of on-topic conversation: HillRider

Thank You Sir!

<sigh> I hafta wait until tomorrow to see if this works.

Old 05-31-12, 04:08 PM
SwampDude

Bikes: All Treks - fitness and road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ
The trick to using hand-pumps and not busting the valve is to grab a spoke or two next to the presta valve along with the head of the pump. Then any motions introduced with your pumping hand moves both the wheel AND valve-stem in unison. Then there's no movement of the stem relative to the rim.
This is a good tip. Why are the simple solutions so elusive? I bet this method works.
Old 05-31-12, 04:18 PM
SwampDude

Bikes: All Treks - fitness and road

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"I do have a floor pump, but only at 1 of the 3 possible locations by bike could sit for an extended period of time, so there's a 2/3 shot I'm using a hand pump."

Just goes to show how missing one sentence can interfere with "on-topic conversation". My bad.
Old 05-31-12, 04:59 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 761 Posts
I apologize for not carefully reading the whole thread. I just want to make two comments and hope they're helpful.

Like others have said, there are small/mini/frame type pumps that have hoses. I have one that is larger than a mini pump, but smaller than a frame pump called the Morph Road G Master Blaster. I can mount it alongside the seat tube bottle cage. It is like a mini floor pump in that it has little fold out legs to put your foot on, a fold out T handle and a short length of hose. I have it on my cross/commuter bike, but also use it when I travel with my road bike because it's smaller than a floor pump, but will work fine when I reassemble my bike after shipping.

The other point I would make is if you have two or three regular locations where you need to air up your tires before riding, buy a couple more floor pumps. Really, the cheap ones (<$25, more like <$20 ) work just fine. I have, I think, 4 floor pumps in that range that I keep in my garage, my car, my office and my wife has one in her car. I start rides from all three of my "locations" regularly and don't want to have any excuse not to top off the tires every ride (that's the only time I get flats pretty much is if I get pinch flats). It really is worth it for the convenience. It's not like you'll wear them out! Some of my cheap Performance or Nashbar house brand pumps are pushing 15+ years and work perfectly in all respects.
Old 05-31-12, 05:38 PM
brandini

Originally Posted by Camilo
Morph Road G Master Blaster. I can mount it alongside the seat tube bottle cage.

buy a couple more floor pumps. It really is worth it for the convenience.
Yea in hindsight it's probably what I would have gotten. If I only knew then what I know now.

While I agree there is no substitute for a floor pump, my girlfriend is not going to let me put 1 more thing in her restaurant (already pushing it with the bike). And I'm a lover of those lovely phrases that have led so many to greatness: think different, add lightness... and 4 pumps when 2 will do is tweaking my inner German (I'm not German, I just think like one), the land where if you leave your front yard light on all day, you neighbor will let you know.

Old 05-31-12, 09:38 PM
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
You missed the opportunity since the Topeak Morph are just what you describe. Too bad. Better luck with your next idea.
I really meant just the hose, with the "I can't believe it's not Shraeder/Presta!" connector on one end, and air-pump connector goodness on the other. For those of us who already have frame pumps, but don't have much money! Put a dial-type air gauge in the middle, and you can wrap the hose around it and store it in your emergency toolkit bag. I thought about getting a morph, but I'm a clutz, and that rotating pump handle would be likely to savage my hand...
Old 06-01-12, 02:05 AM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Originally Posted by DCB0
I don't know of any available hoses with presta fittings, but there are plenty with schreader fittings, and there are adaptors to convert schreader to presta.
Yep, any crappy old pump with a schraeder hose works pretty good with a presta adapter. Just make sure the adapter has an o-ring on the presta side.

Good for up to about 100psi, but the cheap little hoses tend to die after a bit.

Originally Posted by FBinNY
BTW- you really don't need a hose if you improve your pumping technique. Most people who break valves do so because they don't properly brace the pump to the rim. Try holding the valve end of the pump, with your thumb extended down to the rim for support so that end of the pump doesn't move. Also use that hand to pull the the wheel or whole bike off whatever it's leaning slightly so it can move with the pump if you're not as steady as you hope. Either or both techniques will effectively make broken valves a thing of the past.
True enough, but hoseless pumps will always be a PITA.

Last edited by Kimmo; 06-01-12 at 02:11 AM.
Old 06-02-12, 06:51 PM
brandini

Totally
Freaking
Works

I started with tires at ~ 90 psi (they're x32 so 100 psi max) and went to town and it held with no qualms. So if you hate your minipump and don't want a trail O pumps wherever you might store your bike, this will make any schrader compatible pump do whatever you want without risk of damaging the valve.

Only 'meh' part is that both my minipump and this replacement have to be slightly disassembled to change valve types, so one might want to investigate the 'twinhead' version here:
https://amzn.com/B000FI6XF8