Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Discounts at bicycle stores

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Discounts at bicycle stores

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-17, 08:15 AM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TheLastOfUs
What bike on earth is 6 grand?! :/
I'll be happy to sell you a bike for that price. Free shipping, even. Would you prefer a Denali or a Kent Road Tech?
Old 05-08-17, 08:21 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Quite a few. While nearing the top of the high end for anything not incredibly specialized, I'd bet most bike shops you walk into have at least one or two in that range.

Originally Posted by tajar66
You will not get any discount if you do not ask.
And that is the absolute truth. You may still get no discount even if you do ask, but if a customer is willing to pay full retail, no employee is going to volunteer up a discount even if they were willing to let it go for less.
Old 05-08-17, 08:34 AM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
if a customer is willing to pay full retail, no employee is going to volunteer up a discount even if they were willing to let it go for less.
That's not true in my experience. I've even had a shop offer to sell me a barely used tool at cost.
Old 05-08-17, 08:41 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by kickstart
That's not true in my experience. I've even had a shop offer to sell me a barely used tool at cost.
OK, well many aren't going to cut you a deal if you don't ask. And if they are, it kinda disproves the idea they can't afford to haggle at all
Old 05-08-17, 08:43 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18416 Post(s)
Liked 15,556 Times in 7,331 Posts
Seriously? You must be new to this planet. Welcome, E.T.

12 grand at the very outlet the OP mentions:

Old 05-08-17, 08:52 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by ShravanD
Hello. Planning to buy a new TT Bike and am looking to spend about 5-6k. What kind of discounts can I expect from stores like R&A cycles, Brooklyn?
First, you must justify to us why you deserve such an expensive bike.

Second, you must explain why you'd ride on a TT bike in the first place...
Old 05-08-17, 10:23 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by KD5NRH
I'll be happy to sell you a bike for that price. Free shipping, even. Would you prefer a Denali or a Kent Road Tech?
I would be even open to haggling the price a bit if I was asking $6K for a Denali or Kent Road Tech.

This thread reminds me of when I was looking to buy a new Nissan Sentra in 2003, the local dealer refused to take anything less than list price for it and didn't even mention that the manufacturer was offering $1500 rebates on all models. He did offer to let me drive the demonstrator car for the day though, so I drove it to the nearest town and bought an identical model Sentra for $3000 less than the no haggling local dealer. Still drive it today with no mechanical issues at all.
Old 05-08-17, 01:22 PM
ninjamunky

Bikes: cheap ones

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a new mountain bike a few weeks ago. It was brand new but was a 2016 model. The shop had the​ bike discounted from the $1900 list price to $1400.

So I figure if they can take $500 off a $2k bike then they could probably discount a $5-6k bike a couple thousand dollars.
Old 05-08-17, 01:45 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
OP has A Time Trial, Triathlon race bike in mind My LBS had one for a couple years , a dent in the top tube
did get it selling for less , but it still took a while before someone wanted it.

Bikes Direct sells to you bypassing all the good things a Local dealer offers.. they are the importer.

at 12K around here people buy a Boat and go Fishing.
Old 05-08-17, 03:24 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I would be even open to haggling the price a bit if I was asking $6K for a Denali or Kent Road Tech.
You're in luck; I'm offering half price this week only, so you can get a few, offer them to your friends for $5k and still make a profit.

On a related note, has anyone taken a close look at the WM Kent Road Tech? I'm having crappy luck finding something on CL or at yard sales to host my ebike project, and at $129, that's at least not much of a loss if it's total junk. Figure at least $100 on CL for a nicer frame with moderately worn components anyway, but there's been a shortage of under-$150 old steelies lately - all big box MTBs at near-new price or higher end stuff $400 and up.

Obviously it'd be stripped bare first thing, (as is anything if I don't know and trust the last guy to work on it, so any used bike would get the same) with everything getting marine grease and proper adjustment, and the front hub would be replaced by the motor anyway, so assembly/setup quality is irrelevant. Weight is pretty much irrelevant if I'm going to hang a battery and my commute/utility loadout on it anyway...and that's sort of what the motor's for too. No QRs doesn't matter, since the motor isn't QR, so a couple wrenches get added to the kit.

Only major consideration for me (other than not falling apart, obviously - and I'd likely do some custom made heavy duty combo torque arms/front rack mounts to help with that) is being able to pedal it the full (8mi each way) commute in case of problems, which I know I can do on my 7100 already, so as long as I've got a 1:1 or lower bottom end I can get over the worst hill in anything but gale force headwinds. Decent top end would be nice, for any days I decide not to cheat, but just getting there without pushing is the big concern.
Old 05-08-17, 05:21 PM
skids929

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33
I think going into a store expecting to get discounts on a top of the line bike is a terrible attitude.

"I'm buying something expensive, give me discounts."
Not a terrible attitude at all..I agree with what others have said he probably will only see a small discount accessories since the margins are so small on the Bikes themselves. But terrible attitude? I don't think so, I think it's a smart approach, and as long as you ask respectfully there isn't any attitude whatsoever. Bike stores are used to being asked this question and a good one will reply kindly and honestly as to why they can't.

I think accusing someone of having a bad attitude when you have no idea where they are coming from from behind a keyboard is a terrible attitude. I bet you've overpaid for a TON of things in your life.