Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Random Thought Thread, aka The RTT (**possible spoilers**)

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Random Thought Thread, aka The RTT (**possible spoilers**)

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-14, 01:38 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
It's been a pretty rough couple days at Chez grolby. We got some really bad news Tuesday. A college friend of my wife's, who in fact came up and did our wedding photography for the price of her plane ticket and lodging, went in for surgery Friday. It was to remove a non-cancerous brain tumor, not a trivial thing but from what we understand pretty straightforward as these things go. Operation, week in the hospital to recover, home. From what we heard, the operation seemed to go fine, we heard she did have a rough night and that they planned to wait until she was out of ICU to wake her, then nothing for a couple days. And then we heard Tuesday evening that she had died that afternoon. We don't know what happened, we don't know why. I'm not sure it matters. My wife is devastated, and I've been in pretty rough shape myself. I met her just the one time, but she was such a sweetheart. She had just gotten engaged to her boyfriend of something like 8 years this winter. She was fine. Now she's gone and we can't understand it. Just... WTF. Not sure what else there is to say. My wife will probably fly down for the funeral tomorrow morning. Not a good week. Ugh.
Old 03-13-14, 01:43 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
that's terrible. sorry to hear.
Old 03-13-14, 01:48 PM
Creatre
These Guys Eat Oreos

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
It's been a pretty rough couple days at Chez grolby. We got some really bad news Tuesday. A college friend of my wife's, who in fact came up and did our wedding photography for the price of her plane ticket and lodging, went in for surgery Friday. It was to remove a non-cancerous brain tumor, not a trivial thing but from what we understand pretty straightforward as these things go. Operation, week in the hospital to recover, home. From what we heard, the operation seemed to go fine, we heard she did have a rough night and that they planned to wait until she was out of ICU to wake her, then nothing for a couple days. And then we heard Tuesday evening that she had died that afternoon. We don't know what happened, we don't know why. I'm not sure it matters. My wife is devastated, and I've been in pretty rough shape myself. I met her just the one time, but she was such a sweetheart. She had just gotten engaged to her boyfriend of something like 8 years this winter. She was fine. Now she's gone and we can't understand it. Just... WTF. Not sure what else there is to say. My wife will probably fly down for the funeral tomorrow morning. Not a good week. Ugh.
Awful to hear. Unfortunate with all the medical advances stuff like this still happens.
Old 03-13-14, 01:52 PM
Dolamite02

Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Bianchi via Nirone 7, GT Zaskar 9r Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Geeze, sorry, Grolby. That's pretty rough.
Old 03-13-14, 02:01 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
To continue the car stuff…

The DRS is more accentuated for 2014, so there is a more significant reduction in downforce. There are DRS zones designated and activating DRS outside of them is not good.

The KERS (kinetic energy recovery system) is on all the time. The turbo one I think is controlled by the pits? The other is automated to give a boost whenever needed, based on engine mapping or something like that. Apparently it's no longer a button you push, it just happens.

There's a lot of discussion how the drivers are fiddling with controls on the steering wheel a few times a lap now. I have no idea what they're controlling. My guess is the rear brake-by-wire, since that seems to be a focal point for many teams. They must be adjusting the power harvesting levels or something.

I'm bonking so this whole post is probably wrong. I'm gonna go eat.
They're probably also fiddling with the fuel flow levels, that's on their wheel too. I don't think the turbo KERS (MGU-H) is controlled from the pits, I don't think any controls are allowed to be sent to the car, only data taken from it. That's why the steering wheels look like keyboards. I think both KERS systems are managed by the driver and onboard computers (engine mapping would have to control the motor/generator in the turbo, as well as telling the MGU-K when to operate and at what level.

And DRS can only be activated when within 1 second of another car in front of you, to aid in overtaking. It turns off automatically the first time you touch the brakes. I'm not sure it's possible to activate it outside the proper zones, but I could be wrong.
Old 03-13-14, 02:02 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Awful. Sorry to hear.
Old 03-13-14, 02:06 PM
JohnKScott

Bikes: It has two wheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry to hear about that.
Old 03-13-14, 02:21 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
@grolby sorry to hear.

my race videos
Old 03-13-14, 02:24 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
best wishes for the family.
Old 03-13-14, 02:26 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
my landlord is forcing me to get rid of one of my cats because of their one pet policy, which applies to anything including gold fishes. Temporary fostering doesn't seem to be panning out... I hope she could stay with a friend or something.
Old 03-13-14, 02:29 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
condolences man.

Old 03-13-14, 02:41 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Quoted: 1451 Post(s)
Liked 731 Times in 374 Posts
sorry to hear that grolby.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 03-13-14, 02:44 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
Sorry to hear that grolby. I'm glad your wife can go down and be with her friend's family.
Old 03-13-14, 02:46 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hang in there Grolby family.
Old 03-13-14, 02:50 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Thanks everyone. We'll get through it. Just, damn, is it tough.
Old 03-13-14, 03:14 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Omg, terrible. It puts things in perspective. My condolences to you, your wife, the boyfriend-fiance of 8 years, and everyone else touched by her.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 03-13-14, 03:26 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
What made you choose the Belgiums rather than the cheaper Archetypes or Pacenti SL23's?
Rim quality and aesthetics.

Sorry Grolby. Can't say I've been through something like that with someone my age.
Old 03-13-14, 04:00 PM
ovoleg