Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Retro roadies- old frames with STI's or Ergos

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Retro roadies- old frames with STI's or Ergos

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-12, 09:14 PM
4Rings6Stars
Señor Member

Bikes: Bedford, IF, Hampsten, DeSalvo, Intense Carbine 27.5, Raleigh Sports, Bianchi C.u.S.S, Soma DC Disc, Bill Boston Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Veloce 10 ergos are cheap... and shift Shimano 8s drivetrains beautifully.

$135 and they come with Campy cables and housing
https://www.velomine.com/index.php?ma...oducts_id=2001

$100 from the UK. I think these also come with cables/housing.
https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/roa...es/campgrss105

Originally Posted by Branimir
Seriously thinking of Shimergo-ing my bike, though the fact I have a 8 speed cassette on an Ultegra hub and 600 derailer with semibusted/loctited 600 downtube friction shifter, means I need either 9 or 10 speed ergopower to make it work it with my cassette/derailer. There is no campagnolo here and ebay does reveal that the 9 or 10 speed ergopowers are usually too expensive for me, since it is a still not obsolete technology.

I have seen 8 speed ergopowers used for under 100$ on ebay though it would not work with my cassette, maybe with different spacers, but spacers are also expensive. I think 8 speed ergopower could work with 7 cogs on the 8 speed shimano cassette.. not sure, but 7/8 spacing is same if not mistaken...

Ergos look pretty... STI's on the other hand...
Old 12-02-12, 12:05 AM
anixi
Jack of all trades

Bikes: Schwinn Peloton Ventana El Saltamontes Spec Stumpjumper Conversion Gravel

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 4Rings6Stars
Veloce 10 ergos are cheap... and shift Shimano 8s drivetrains beautifully.

$135 and they come with Campy cables and housing
https://www.velomine.com/index.php?ma...oducts_id=2001

$100 from the UK. I think these also come with cables/housing.
https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/roa...es/campgrss105
I hadn't heard that 10 speed ergos could shift 8 speed shimano/sram! The ctc link doesn't support that combination...

https://www.ctc.org.uk/cyclists-libra...gears/shimergo
Old 12-02-12, 12:08 AM
anixi
Jack of all trades

Bikes: Schwinn Peloton Ventana El Saltamontes Spec Stumpjumper Conversion Gravel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by anixi
I hadn't heard that 10 speed ergos could shift 8 speed shimano/sram! The ctc link doesn't support that combination...

https://www.ctc.org.uk/cyclists-libra...gears/shimergo
Oh, woopsie, thought that you meant to have a Campagnolo rear derailleur. The C10 ergo does work with S8 if you use a Shimano rear derailleur. Sorry!!
Old 12-02-12, 03:11 AM
rebelcontender

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone Built a classic frame with 4600 Tiagra? It looks like nice value, good quality gear and the silver finish is great for the retro roadie look. I picked up a Look kg 223 frame recently and think this might be just the thing for it
Old 12-02-12, 10:05 AM
tamaso206
keep it simple.

Bikes: Univega Superstrada modern build

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't built with Tiagra 4600, but I have ridden it briefly-- shifted well and the fit and finish was solid. I have heard industry people say that mechanically is it *very* similar to Ultegra 6600. I've also heard that current era shimano w/ hidden cables is 'less smooth' then the last gen (which Tiagra is modeled off of). If you don't mind the exposed cables and lever shape, I'd say go for it! You might also want to check out Campy Veloce 10, prices are likely to be similar, especially from Ribble or other UK online.
Old 12-02-12, 12:25 PM
tztag

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seriously thinking of Shimergo-ing my bike, though the fact I have a 8 speed cassette on an Ultegra hub and 600 derailer with semibusted/loctited 600 downtube friction shifter, means I need either 9 or 10 speed ergopower to make it work it with my cassette/derailer. There is no campagnolo here and ebay does reveal that the 9 or 10 speed ergopowers are usually too expensive for me, since it is a still not obsolete technology.

I have seen 8 speed ergopowers used for under 100$ on ebay though it would not work with my cassette, maybe with different spacers, but spacers are also expensive. I think 8 speed ergopower could work with 7 cogs on the 8 speed shimano cassette.. not sure, but 7/8 spacing is same if not mistaken...

Ergos look pretty... STI's on the other hand...
Campy 8 speed is spaced the same as Shimano 7-speed. If you have shimano wheels, just get a shimano 7-speed cassette and add a cog to make it 8 speed- an extra cog will fit on a stock shimano freehub.
Old 12-02-12, 12:31 PM
anixi
Jack of all trades

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tztag
Campy 8 speed is spaced the same as Shimano 7-speed. If you have shimano wheels, just get a shimano 7-speed cassette and add a cog to make it 8 speed- an extra cog will fit on a stock shimano freehub.
+1, have done this once, will do it again soon.
Old 12-02-12, 01:54 PM
TimeTravel_0
commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get me into modern campy.

I've heard to stay away from Powershift. Athena 11 2011 is non-Powershift, correct?

I'd like to run a 46-30 w/ the Sugino ox801d or the re-issued Rene Herse crankset with a 12-27 cassette. What derailleurs?

Last edited by TimeTravel_0; 12-02-12 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-02-12, 02:21 PM
thirdgenbird

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TimeTravel_0
Get me into modern campy.

I've heard to stay away from Powershift. Athena 11 2011 is non-Powershift, correct?

I'd like to run a 46-30 w/ the Sugino ox801d or the re-issued Rene Herse crankset with a 12-27 cassette. What derailleurs?
My opinion: If you haven't ever used ultrashift you will be happy with powershift. Powershift is still better than sram and shimano.
Old 12-02-12, 03:29 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Not sure about the Sugino, but the Compass/RH cranks are not 11s compatible.
Old 12-02-12, 05:06 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
My opinion: If you haven't ever used ultrashift you will be happy with powershift. Powershift is still better than sram and shimano.
Correct.

Had a chance to ride a Colnago World Cup built with Athena today at the state cyclocross championships.

Loved it.

Will definitely use on a build in the near future.
Old 12-02-12, 05:08 PM
Orrery

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1973 Mercian

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
This is true! I have Powershift Veloce on my Centurion/Cinelli and I like it overall, but do regret selling the older 10s veloce silver ergos I had on a shimergo set up. Just felt nicer and loved both the front shifting and the ability to dump the cassette.
Old 12-03-12, 12:36 AM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by tztag
That sounds pretty confusing. Shimano 7 and 8 speed have the same spacing and cog width. Why wouldn't you just buy an 8 speed cassette in the first place? Finding a lone cog would be difficult, the rivets would likely interfere with the spacer and the shift ramps might not match up. Shimano HG cogs are manufactured according to what is meant to go above and below them so it does make a difference to shifting performance.

The simple answer is, campy 8s and shimano 8s are close enough that an 8s campy shifter and derailleur will shift well enough on a 8s shimano cassette, be sure to use a shimano chain with said cassette.
Old 12-03-12, 10:34 AM
anixi
Jack of all trades

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclotoine
That sounds pretty confusing. Shimano 7 and 8 speed have the same spacing and cog width. Why wouldn't you just buy an 8 speed cassette in the first place? Finding a lone cog would be difficult, the rivets would likely interfere with the spacer and the shift ramps might not match up. Shimano HG cogs are manufactured according to what is meant to go above and below them so it does make a difference to shifting performance.

The simple answer is, campy 8s and shimano 8s are close enough that an 8s campy shifter and derailleur will shift well enough on a 8s shimano cassette, be sure to use a shimano chain with said cassette.
[TABLE]
[TR="bgcolor: #9ac5d1"]
[TD="align: left"]All standard 7-speed[/TD]
[TD]5.00[/TD]
[TD]S7[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]Campagnolo 8-speed[/TD]
[TD]5.00[/TD]
[TD]C8[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]Shimano 8-speed[/TD]
[TD]4.80[/TD]
[TD]S8
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Old 12-03-12, 10:52 AM
Branimir
Merckx wannabe

Bikes: Rampon EL/OS 5700 groupset

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, let me get this straight:

Shimano 7 and 8 speed cassettes have same cog width and same spacers, right?

I have an Ultegra 8 speed cassette (and hub) on my rear wheel. That means I could use 8 speed ergopower with hubbub cable arrangement and then shift through 7 cogs on my 8 speed cassette? Rear derailer is 6208 Shimano (600 series).
Okay - so the ergopower has 8 clicks right? In this case I would be using only 7, and for instance - limit the shifter to use the biggest cog until the second smallest one. Why couldn't be possible to use the extra 8th click on the ergopower to shift to 8th cog on my shimano cassette? Since 7/8 have the same spacing/width...
Old 12-03-12, 11:03 AM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Okay - so the ergopower has 8 clicks right?
A shifter has one less "click" than cogs it shifts.
Old 12-03-12, 11:19 AM
anixi
Jack of all trades

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
So, let me get this straight:

Shimano 7 and 8 speed cassettes have same cog width and same spacers, right?

I have an Ultegra 8 speed cassette (and hub) on my rear wheel. That means I could use 8 speed ergopower with hubbub cable arrangement and then shift through 7 cogs on my 8 speed cassette? Rear derailer is 6208 Shimano (600 series).
Okay - so the ergopower has 8 clicks right? In this case I would be using only 7, and for instance - limit the shifter to use the biggest cog until the second smallest one. Why couldn't be possible to use the extra 8th click on the ergopower to shift to 8th cog on my shimano cassette? Since 7/8 have the same spacing/width...
[TABLE]
[TD="align: left"]All standard 7-speed[/TD]
[TD]5.00[/TD]
[TD]S7[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]Campagnolo 8-speed[/TD]
[TD]5.00[/TD]
[TD]C8[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]Shimano 8-speed[/TD]
[TD]4.80[/TD]
[TD]S8[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
No, Shimano 7-speed is 5.00, Campagnolo 8-speed is 5.00, Shimano 8-speed is 4.80, just as the chart shows (twice I might add). There's no confusion. You can use a Campagnolo 8-speed shifter with Shimano 7-speed because they're both at 5.00 spacing. Don't know how to make it more clear...
Old 12-03-12, 11:21 AM
Branimir
Merckx wannabe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry! You are right!
Old 12-03-12, 01:40 PM
anixi
Jack of all trades

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sorry! You are right!
No problem...
Old 12-12-12, 03:37 PM
steve.voller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I found a Rossin and its due end of this week, its very close to the team frame I had before but with a slight difference on the cable guide on the top tube, has anyone seen a configuration like this before ?
It says it Columbus SLX but I will check when it arrives and thisis supposed to be original paintwork although its not a scheme I have seen before. Andyone else seen one of these, it was used as a race bike Im sure hence the number hanger.

Im going to have it cold spread and then run 10 spd ultegra with a mix of 6600 SL and 6700

Old 12-12-12, 06:43 PM
Michael Angelo 

Bikes: Treks (USA), Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn letour,Raleigh Team Professional, Gazelle GoldLine Racing, 2 Super Mondias, Carlton Professional.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts
Love that Rossin.
Old 12-12-12, 07:07 PM
thirdgenbird

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Angelo
Love that Rossin.
Me too.
Old 12-15-12, 07:50 AM
steve.voller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I need some advice on parts for this Rossin.

Im going for a modern look and feel but dont want to buy anything that wont fit, its been a while "20 years" since I last built up a bike so Im learning all the time.

I have been looking at a nice Handlebar 3T Stem on ebay its NOS but is t here anything to beware of ? The reach will be about right for me, but is there a different range of sizes for the stem to fit older steerer tubes ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3T-3TTT-ST...item51a4dd4fab

Also as Im going for a mix of ultegra with STI I was intending on buying a new Chain, Cassette and I have a new Ultegra SL Chainset and going to get an ultegra rear mech all in grey does anyone have any good tips on setup, or sites with good instructions for ensuring I get correct chain length etc

Thanks for the advice!
Old 12-15-12, 02:01 PM
stevenc

Bikes: Eddy Merckx MX Leader "Vive le Roy", Flanders Pista, Poggio Shimano 600 10-speed

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
This stem should work, as the Rossin has a 1" fork. Make sure you match the handlebars (25.8 to 26.0 clamp).
As for the chain: as you will run 10 speed Ultegra, just buy a 10-speed chain. KMC is good (they have various quality/price levels). Chain will be too long, you will need to remove a few links, standard procedure.
Old 12-22-12, 03:53 PM
Branimir
Merckx wannabe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anybody have any information about the Xenon 9 speed ergopower? As I understand the 9 speed ergopower can be used with a shimano derailer and cassette that is 8 speed, with hubbub way of fixing the cable/clamp plate.

But the Xenon 9 speed ergopower has the microclick or whatever it is called, as is different from higher series ergopowers. Does anybody have any info about the Xenon compatibility with shimergo-ing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.