Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Catapulting Disc Brakes

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Catapulting Disc Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-20, 10:14 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,914 Times in 6,101 Posts
Originally Posted by HD3andMe
Wow. Just when I thought this thread was done being nutty, I'm proven wrong.
We may have struck a new vein.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 10-01-20, 10:56 PM
cjenrick

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
How many fingers did Hound Dog Taylor have?

first correct answer gets some used and cracked brake hoods.
Old 10-02-20, 12:50 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by cjenrick

I’m not going to Google who that is, but presumably some very horny musician. So my answer is “ten, at first, before the unfortunate incident with the hound dog.” This is based on the usual logic of the average person having slightly less than two arms. But why did this come up? Did he get catapulted? Was it a disc brake, or a catapult?
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 10-02-20, 12:57 AM
cjenrick

wrong.
Old 10-02-20, 01:05 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,308 Times in 2,949 Posts
Originally Posted by cjenrick

Twelve one day, eleven the next.
Old 10-02-20, 01:14 AM
cjenrick

Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding we have a winner!

Hound Dog was the first artist signed to Alligator Records.

Last edited by cjenrick; 10-02-20 at 01:36 AM.
Old 10-02-20, 08:02 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Twelve one day, eleven the next.
"10 one day, nine the next" would also have been correct.
Old 10-02-20, 08:31 AM
siclmn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Wow. Just when I thought this thread was done being nutty, I'm proven wrong.
What I meant to say was to use only 1 brake only gives you half your stopping power and an increased chance of skidding.
Old 10-02-20, 09:12 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by siclmn
What I meant to say was to use only 1 brake only gives you half your stopping power and an increased chance of skidding.
No.

https://www.renehersecycles.com/how-...-on-a-bicycle/
Old 10-02-20, 10:16 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by siclmn
You have precisely no...none...zero...clue.
Old 10-02-20, 10:17 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Extract from the referenced article:
"The shortest braking distances were obtained when we slightly decreased our braking power just before we came to a stop, so the rear wheel stayed on the ground.Since few riders ever brake this hard, how come they still go over the bars? Here is what appears to happen to most riders who go over the bars: If riders don’t brace themselves against the handlebars, their momentum will push them forward over the handlebars as the bike slows. (Imagine being a passenger in a car without a seatbelt as the driver brakes hard.)

To avoid this, Hahn in the photo above braces himself against the handlebars and locks his elbows. He has shifted his weight as far back as possible. You can see his bicycle’s saddle underneath his belly. With this technique, he did not “go over the bars.” And if your bike’s rear wheel does lift, it happens slowly enough that you can counter it by slightly releasing the front brake lever."
Which proves that a skilled rider can brake hard without going over the handlebars when they can prepare in advance for an emergency stop.
How well these riders would do if they had not been prepared in advance for exactly where and when to apply the brakes? What will happen to all the benefits of body bracing and body shifting prior to brake application if/when they have been surprised by an emergency situation as can happen in un-controlled (this is not a drill!) riding conditions?

Presumably experienced riders (i.e. "pro jocks") will fare best when they use their skills, training and experience to see anticipate potential dangerous road and/or traffic conditions in advance of needing to brake hard, or at least with enough advance warning to prepare and execute body, arm and hand positioning prior to using their practiced braking techniques without any excitement/adrenaline driven mistake error in application.
Old 10-02-20, 10:49 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Extract from the referenced article:
Which proves that a skilled rider can brake hard without going over the handlebars when they can prepare in advance for an emergency stop.
How well these riders would do if they had not been prepared in advance for exactly where and when to apply the brakes? What will happen to all the benefits of body bracing and body shifting prior to brake application if/when they have been surprised by an emergency situation as can happen in un-controlled (this is not a drill!) riding conditions?

"The shortest braking distances were obtained when we slightly decreased our braking power just before we came to a stop, so the rear wheel stayed on the ground.Since few riders ever brake this hard, how come they still go over the bars? Here is what appears to happen to most riders who go over the bars: If riders don’t brace themselves against the handlebars, their momentum will push them forward over the handlebars as the bike slows. (Imagine being a passenger in a car without a seatbelt as the driver brakes hard.)

To avoid this, Hahn in the photo above braces himself against the handlebars and locks his elbows. He has shifted his weight as far back as possible. You can see his bicycle’s saddle underneath his belly. With this technique, he did not “go over the bars.” And if your bike’s rear wheel does lift, it happens slowly enough that you can counter it by slightly releasing the front brake lever."
Presumably experienced riders (i.e. "pro jocks") will fare best when they use their skills, training and experience to see anticipate potential dangerous road and/or traffic conditions in advance of needing to brake hard, or at least with enough advance warning to prepare and execute body, arm and hand positioning prior to using their practiced braking techniques without any excitement/adrenaline driven mistake error in application.
You know you are breaking hard. It's not really difficult to also move back. There really isn't any "preparing in advance" nonsense.

"Anticipating potential dangerous road and/or traffic conditions in advance" doesn't preclude better braking technique (suggesting that it does is silly).

It's also a useful skill even if you aren't stopping in a panic.

Coaster Brakes ARE good for a lot of general cycling tasks that people do every day, and don't require "pro jock training drills" to be used safely. But taking seriously the "pro jocks" training requirements/skills needed to ride safely as stated by the self described cognoscenti of BF General Bicycling is enough to make one clutch his pearls.
Coaster brakes would be a poor choice for the road bikes most people here are likely using and for anything but rather slow riding.

Last edited by njkayaker; 10-02-20 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-02-20, 06:10 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts

Coaster brakes would be a poor choice for the road bikes most people here are likely using and for anything but rather slow riding.
Yeah, if you live somewhere flat coasters would be fine, but on big hills... I haven't actually had one catch fire on my downhill bikes when newbies are scared of the front brake, but they have smoked pretty bad, all the grease has melted out and they nearly welded solid. Dunno why they are worried about the fronts, stamped steel brakes flex too much to lock up! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1683288705275035 I usually have to service the hubs after every run or two.
Old 10-02-20, 06:17 PM
cxwrench

Originally Posted by Trevtassie
Yeah, if you live somewhere flat coasters would be fine, but on big hills... I haven't actually had one catch fire on my downhill bikes when newbies are scared of the front brake, but they have smoked pretty bad, all the grease has melted out and they nearly welded solid. Dunno why they are worried about the fronts, stamped steel brakes flex too much to lock up! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1683288705275035 I usually have to service the hubs after every run or two.
And now you know how 'Repack' in Marin County got its name. Gary Fisher, Joe Breeze, Charlie Kelly, Otis Guy, and the rest would have to repack their coaster brake hubs every time down.
Old 10-02-20, 08:20 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by cxwrench
And now you know how 'Repack' in Marin County got its name. Gary Fisher, Joe Breeze, Charlie Kelly, Otis Guy, and the rest would have to repack their coaster brake hubs every time down.
It is always real significant for all cyclists, especially non racers, to know prior to selecting bicycling equipment for their normal riding what the "pro jocks" experienced over 40 years ago when racing down mountainsides at top speeds.

Maybe next, someone will bring up the "test" one so-called expert rigged to "prove" just how inadequate coaster brakes are for daily riding by riding his coaster brake while speeding down a 4 mile hill with a grade of 10%.
Old 10-02-20, 08:32 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,648 Times in 2,924 Posts
"10 one day, nine the next" would also have been correct.
technically we have 8 fingers and two thumbs. So the real correct answer is 8 one day and 7even the next. No gifts, awards or accolades accepted. I do accept whiskey. The weird thing is that we have 10 toes, not 8 and 2 big toes.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 10-02-20, 08:34 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Trevtassie
Are you one of those bicyclists from your facebook reference pictured during a typical general bicycling activity? No newbies there.

Any recommendations on bicycles to use for general bicycle riding based on your referenced activity. Perhaps you have some advice about equipment to buy for general bicycling or the best clothing to wear based on the pictured bicycling activity.
Old 10-02-20, 08:45 PM
cxwrench

It is always real significant for all cyclists, especially non racers, to know prior to selecting bicycling equipment for their normal riding what the "pro jocks" experienced over 40 years ago when racing down mountainsides at top speeds.

Maybe next, someone will bring up the "test" one so-called expert rigged to "prove" just how inadequate coaster brakes are for daily riding by riding his coaster brake while speeding down a 4 mile hill with a grade of 10%.
Repack isn't maintained now like it was then but I'd be terrified to ride a coaster brake bike down that hill. Well...maybe I'll try it one day, the only holdup is getting to the top.
Old 10-02-20, 09:10 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Are you one of those bicyclists from your facebook reference pictured during a typical general bicycling activity? No newbies there.

Any recommendations on bicycles to use for general bicycle riding based on your referenced activity. Perhaps you have some advice about equipment to buy for general bicycling or the best clothing to wear based on the pictured bicycling activity.
Disposable orange jumpsuits are handy for cycling. They're hi vis, customisable with a marking pen and beer runs off them. Pretty weather proof too. They are also remarkably resilient when sliding down a road.
Schwalbe and Continental tires seem to be the best. Big Apples and Tour Contacts. Take the weight and corner well even in the wet. Good up to 35-40 mph
Old 10-03-20, 08:12 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by rsbob
technically we have 8 ,.fingers and two thumbs. So the real correct answer is 8 one day and 7even the next. No gifts, awards or accolades accepted. I do accept whiskey.
No. He had extra fingers. The issue is whether one counts thumbs as fingers.

The weird thing is that we have 10 toes, not 8 and 2 big toes.
I covered that already.
Old 10-03-20, 09:14 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
It's funny, those Repack guys made better bikes as soon as they could and haven't stopped since.

I was able to ride my kid's 16er, to his shock, but it wasn't very fun. His 20in bike was rideable enough I could go down the road and tune up the shifters and brakes
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 10-03-20, 09:25 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10969 Post(s)
Liked 7,495 Times in 4,191 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
No it does NOT. I consider them modern replacement for the 1890 DF bicycles. Except for racing, due to the antique UCI and mountain biking, 90% of cyclist would be better served on bents or trikes.
I cant imagine riding a 'bent by choice. The only reason I would ride one is if I could no longer balance and needed a 'bent with my arms because I'm paralyzed from the waist down.

100% of posters would be better served if you posted less.
Old 10-03-20, 09:37 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10969 Post(s)
Liked 7,495 Times in 4,191 Posts
Man you are cold. And talking smack to an 82 year. Unbelievable You beat up small children too for kicks?
That dude full on knows what he is doing and sets himself up for controversy. He is aware his behavior leads to some cheap shots.

Don't cry for him.
Old 10-04-20, 09:48 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,648 Times in 2,924 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
That dude full on knows what he is doing and sets himself up for controversy. He is aware his behavior leads to some cheap shots.

Don't cry for him.
Appreciated. My natural instinct is to defend those being unfairly smeared. Still learning my way around and determining who plays well with others and who not to feed. The picture is becoming more clear day by day.

Old 10-10-20, 10:11 PM
DenisH

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20 (Two in household)

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't only "think" it matters. I know it matters.

That's called experience.
Who here was talking about "chip on a shoulder"?