Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Painting

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-21, 02:12 AM
NextDIYikeproj
DIY:er

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by andresh
I want this Phillips roadster to look decent again so I think the stem and the handlebar should go metal. That´s why my doubts. I thought I could strip it off all chrome and then kind of polish it with a 1000 sandpaper but then? clear lacquer? primer and metal-looking paint? It will rust if I leave it naked.
I have no experience, but try to get hold of an other handlebar in chrome and do a test. Try a number of different methods and see what you find to be the best.
Likes For NextDIYikeproj:
Old 08-13-21, 05:34 AM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
I want this Phillips roadster to look decent again so I think the stem and the handlebar should go metal. That´s why my doubts. I thought I could strip it off all chrome and then kind of polish it with a 1000 sandpaper but then? clear lacquer? primer and metal-looking paint? It will rust if I leave it naked.
Hard to tell but it looks like you need to clean or remove more chrome. A lot if work to get that right.
Probably why it was painted in the first place.
I think i would just paint it again to start.
​​​​​​Probably easy enough to get good or decent.
But not perfect.
Likes For blamester:
Old 08-15-21, 09:49 AM
andresh

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by blamester
Hard to tell but it looks like you need to clean or remove more chrome. A lot if work to get that right.
Probably why it was painted in the first place.
I think i would just paint it again to start.
​​​​​​Probably easy enough to get good or decent.
But not perfect.
Yeah, there is still a bit of chrome where the grips were. I could take that off with a wire brush for drill but maybe I will just sand it and apply lacquer first and see how it goes or paint it metal. I don't need it to be Chrome / gloss looking again.

handlebar

handlebar
Old 08-16-21, 04:59 AM
blamester
Blamester

Yeah, there is still a bit of chrome where the grips were. I could take that off with a wire brush for drill but maybe I will just sand it and apply lacquer first and see how it goes or paint it metal. I don't need it to be Chrome / gloss looking again.

handlebar

handlebar
That looks clean. Has it started to rust again.
Brcause it might be ok without paint if its kept inside out of the rain and damp.
If you paint set the bars position first.
Because it will crack the paint if you move it afterwards.
Likes For blamester:
Old 08-16-21, 05:48 AM
andresh

Has it started to rust again.
Yes, I have yet to start with the sandpaper the whole thing but I wanted to know what to do do next because I will paint it right after it.
thanks!
Old 08-16-21, 06:13 AM
paulb_in_bkln

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1972 Raleigh Sports Step Thru, 1963 Rudge Sports, 2007 Dahon MuP8, Dahon Speed, Public Mixte 8-speed IGH, mid-70s Peugeot Mixte AW conversion, Riv Platypus

Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
hi again guys, I'm wondering how to treat the handlebar and the stem? they were originally chromed and the previous owner badly painted them in black.
I have stripped all paint so now they look metal and I know no paint will give me a chrome look again so I'm wondering what to do? should I cover them with primer too and then find a metallic paint with mirror effect? maybe only add lacquer?
thanks!stem
What's the cost of having them re-chromed? Worth investigating, at least. You're unlikely to get a good durable look with paint. (Unless you go for something completely different, like a shiny red, which could be cool.) The headset is pretty bleak, too.

Last edited by paulb_in_bkln; 08-16-21 at 06:31 AM.
Old 08-16-21, 03:47 PM
blamester
Blamester

Yes, I have yet to start with the sandpaper the whole thing but I wanted to know what to do do next because I will paint it right after it.
thanks!
Hammerite or similar. Spray can. Hang it up somewhere warm and dry. Let it dry well.
Likes For blamester:
Old 08-16-21, 10:44 PM
blamester
Blamester

Hammerite or similar. Spray can. Hang it up somewhere warm and dry. Let it dry well.
Check out classic and vintage. Rustoleum paint new thread.
Likes For blamester:
Old 08-17-21, 02:19 AM
andresh

Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln
What's the cost of having them re-chromed? Worth investigating, at least. You're unlikely to get a good durable look with paint. (Unless you go for something completely different, like a shiny red, which could be cool.) The headset is pretty bleak, too.
I'm in Denmark, the cost of anything is "expensive". Re-chroming would cost more than the bicycle so it's not an option.
Old 08-17-21, 07:46 AM
paulb_in_bkln

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1972 Raleigh Sports Step Thru, 1963 Rudge Sports, 2007 Dahon MuP8, Dahon Speed, Public Mixte 8-speed IGH, mid-70s Peugeot Mixte AW conversion, Riv Platypus

Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
I'm in Denmark, the cost of anything is "expensive". Re-chroming would cost more than the bicycle so it's not an option.
Paint it is, then. BTW, are you familiar with the handlebar treatment that Grant Petersen of Rivendell invented, or popularized, at any rate? It wouldn't help with the stem or headset, but cloth tape/string/shellac with or without grips would hide most of the handlebar, and it's a look people notice, favorably. It's comfortable to ride, too.
Likes For paulb_in_bkln:
Old 08-18-21, 01:24 AM
andresh

yes I thought about that option but it's not the look I want so I will paint it, apply black grips and see how it goes
Old 08-18-21, 02:22 AM
NextDIYikeproj

yes I thought about that option but it's not the look I want so I will paint it, apply black grips and see how it goes

there is chrome paint on aerosol can. I’ve never tried and I doubt that its as hard and durable as “real” chrome. But… maby worh a try.

another option is the brushed steel look. That you already achieved. The challenge is to keep it free from rust. Perhaps by grease, like you do with a coal steel frying pan.
Old 08-18-21, 09:11 AM
andresh

Originally Posted by NextDIYikeproj
there is chrome paint on aerosol can. I’ve never tried and I doubt that its as hard and durable as “real” chrome. But… maby worh a try.
another option is the brushed steel look. That you already achieved. The challenge is to keep it free from rust. Perhaps by grease, like you do with a coal steel frying pan.
Yeah no "chrome" paint will be as good as real chrome, I'm still wondering if I could apply a clear lacquer to the brushed steel and then just have it metal look with some rust protection but otherwise I will get some silver/metal paint and cover it all.
Likes For andresh:
Old 08-21-21, 06:04 AM
andresh

So I applied the primer from Spray.Bike, it looks ok but I think I will need two cans of paint and 2 of lacquer to do this job so I ordered more cans.
I saw that Spray.Bike also sells some metal/silver paint so I will use that for the handlebar, we'll see.
Old 08-21-21, 07:11 AM
NextDIYikeproj

So I applied the primer from Spray.Bike, it looks ok but I think I will need two cans of paint and 2 of lacquer to do this job so I ordered more cans.
I saw that Spray.Bike also sells some metal/silver paint so I will use that for the handlebar, we'll see.
nice! Yes, us beginners need two cans to cover a whole frame. I guess with experience, when you spray more even and effective, you can make it with one. The lacquer should be applied twice with sanding in between. 👍
Old 08-21-21, 10:21 AM
andresh

yeah, thing is I forgot the fenders!
But I thought one can would be enough to cover the frame twice (as you said with a sanding in between) but to be honest, I don't think you can apply two layers with one can even if you are professional painter. I bought one more can of paint and lacquer so I don't have to think about how much paint is left, if I will cover everything or not and all that. Now I'm sure I have enough.
Likes For andresh:
Old 08-21-21, 02:13 PM
M Rose

Bikes: 2021 Trek Verve 2 Disk

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by NextDIYikeproj

another option would be to “Cold Bluing” or “Rust Blueing” used for gun restoration. It would give that brushed steel look and protect the metal from actually rusting.
Likes For M Rose:
Old 08-21-21, 02:53 PM
NextDIYikeproj

A little Off topic, but since I shared my first videos in my build series, I thought I would share the final one as well! Enjoy!