Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

downhill windy road help

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

downhill windy road help

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-20, 08:53 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 5,649 Times in 2,924 Posts
Congratulations on feeling fast while secure. Quite a breakthrough indeed.

I have had some personal bests on downhills with 28s at 80/85lbs which stick like glue (Conti 5000s TLs).

Keep up the good progress

Likes For rsbob:
Old 12-28-20, 11:35 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
1. Wider tires at the same pressure will have a larger contact patch.
2. There is no perfect pressure for running tires. You have to optimize them for where you want them to work best. It sounds like you've found a good range for what you want, but let's hear from an expert:

Old 12-28-20, 12:26 PM
vane171

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
Pedals at 3 & 9 supporting yourself with your feet and core muscles not your hands or butt, torso hinged at the hips, back of butt behind rear of saddle (you should be able to feel the wings of the saddle on the backs of your thighs), elbows bent/pulled in, shoulders low and hands in the drops covering brakes (don't death grip the bars or the brake levers, gentle inputs), head and eyes UP looking forward much further than you normally would.
I never gave it much thought but ride downhill like this naturally, it just makes sense and feels best. BTW, I always have left leg at position 9 and wonder if that has to do with me being right handed or there is some or no reason behind that.

Bulk of the body weight should be on legs, maybe only 5-10% or even less on seat and bars. In fact, I let bars pretty well completely float up and down, keeping my hands on them only loosely. Also keep my knees together so that I hold the seat nose between thighs while letting it slide up and down as the bike pivots around the BB. This last, thighs having side contact with the saddle, is crucial to bike stability, can't emphasize that enough.

For the record, max speed I reach on my riding circuits is some 65-70k but that's only if I pedal to reach it, mostly its ~50k (or 30 mph). For higher speeds, I'd need more aero position which I find dangerous plus longer/steeper downhills. I like that comment above about sorting men from boys when it comes to uphills.

Last edited by vane171; 12-28-20 at 12:36 PM.
Old 12-28-20, 12:32 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
Not sure if you do this, but when lifting your butt off the saddle, shift your weight backwards. As if your arms are extended and butt goes over the rear tire.

Also, be sure your wheels are true. Out of true wheels can cause problems while braking on descents.
very good points. I recently learned how to true my wheels and it has made a big difference in the smoothness of the brakes and the breaking power itself
Likes For Symox:
Old 01-31-21, 08:07 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
Update: went down the same hilly windy road today and it was awesome. I used 70 psi on the 28cm Gatorskins and it stuck to the pavement better than I've ever felt. I was able to lean into the turns more than I have *ever* done and used very little brakes.

Woooo hooooo