Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your Colnago Super, Mexico, Arabesque, Master...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your Colnago Super, Mexico, Arabesque, Master...

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-18, 08:16 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
DD and Gary,

The two of you have some of my favorite bikes on the forum.

So tasteful and such mouth watering builds.

That's why I still stop by to visit the forum on occasion.
Old 11-24-18, 08:28 PM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 124 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Thank you for that nice assessment, Gary, and I wholeheartedly agree with you. It is what I consider my most special bike of all

I've wanted to fine-tune this bike for a long time. The old two-bolt panto post was limiting in that it doesn't really invite one to play around with saddle positions! The modern, one-bolt Super Record post is my fave and finally I found a pantographed one recently to cap off my flagship Colnago.

The Hi-Low hub has been exclusive to this bike since the early 2000s. Except for Cino 2014, it's never worn another pair of wheels since the Hi-Low was built up and designated for this bike. I'm the kind of guy who doesn't swap wheels between bikes
I absolutely love everything about your beautiful Colnago. To me, it is at it's ultimate level - a perfect Colnago Super/Mexico and still ridable. When you now look at this bike as a whole I suppose there are absolutely no little niggling thoughts of any enhancement this bike might need. The only thing it could need in the future is air in the tyres.

Finally finished - a really rare feeling regarding a bicycle. Congratulations.

Last edited by Gary Fountain; 11-24-18 at 08:48 PM.
Old 11-24-18, 08:34 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Not a road bike, but it is a Colnago. An early 90s Decor from the brief period that Colnago dabbled in mountain bikes.

Old 11-24-18, 08:39 PM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Thanks gomango, I stop by infrequently now-a-days for the same reasons. The mouthwatering bikes and the positive, supportive and true gentlemen, ably represented by yourself, who are always there. I hold you in high regard as a fine human being and it's always a highlight of my day to come across your posts/replies within the many threads you so positively respond to. Thanks mate.

Last edited by Gary Fountain; 11-24-18 at 08:49 PM.
Old 11-24-18, 08:58 PM
Sir_Name 

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 864 Times in 273 Posts
Finally updated with a pantographed Super Record seatpost, brand-new NOS grey cable housings and a second layer of Newbaum's tape. I raised the brake levers about an inch to give my back a break.

Now if the rain would just stop I could get her out for a nice test ride...

DD
That looks great, DD. Perfect build -- looks like the hoods by @rootboy? As for the two-bolt post, I'd highly recommend one of these if you don't already have one. Still tedious, but helps micro-adjust to get things just-so:

Enjoy!

Last edited by Sir_Name; 11-24-18 at 09:04 PM.
Old 11-24-18, 10:07 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by Sir_Name

That looks great, DD. Perfect build -- looks like the hoods by @rootboy? As for the two-bolt post, I'd highly recommend one of these if you don't already have one. Still tedious, but helps micro-adjust to get things just-so:

Enjoy!
Yes indeedy those are @rootboy hoods and they've acquired a nice honey patina to them over the years.

I see I was not too clear about the seatpost situation. What I did was remove the two-bolt Nuovo Record and replaced it with a Super Record version. Both are Colnago pantographed.

Whatever tool I used - and I even have Campy's special wrench - I could not get a good saddle adjustment. I have no problem getting precise with an SR post, however. So, I looked around for about a year until I found one in a condition - and with a price - I could work with.

DD
Old 11-24-18, 10:11 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by gomango
DD and Gary,

The two of you have some of my favorite bikes on the forum.

So tasteful and such mouth watering builds.

That's why I still stop by to visit the forum on occasion.
There are bikes by you two and some others which will always keep me around, too. Well, that and the fact that so many people 'round these C&V parts are just right good neighborly

DD
Old 11-24-18, 10:16 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by Gary Fountain
The only thing it could need in the future is air in the tyres.
Welll....one more "mod" to go: the brakes have been running modern aftermarket brake pads for a long time and they are nearly worn-out. I intend to go back to vintage Campy as soon as I can piece together a set of pad holders (I'm already halfway there with a spare set of pads). But, to all intents and purposes, she's in her final iteration.

DD
Old 11-24-18, 10:20 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Not a road bike, but it is a Colnago. An early 90s Decor from the brief period that Colnago dabbled in mountain bikes.

Is that original paint? If so, I guess it never saw a trail!

Thanks for including this interesting niche Colnago

DD
Old 11-24-18, 11:40 PM
Gary Fountain

Welll....one more "mod" to go: the brakes have been running modern aftermarket brake pads for a long time and they are nearly worn-out. I intend to go back to vintage Campy as soon as I can piece together a set of pad holders (I'm already halfway there with a spare set of pads). But, to all intents and purposes, she's in her final iteration.

DD
Jumpin' Jehosaphat DD! I didn't notice the brake pads and holders!!! Good to know you've got that problem under control.
Old 11-25-18, 12:38 AM
Sir_Name 

Yes indeedy those are @rootboy hoods and they've acquired a nice honey patina to them over the years.

I see I was not too clear about the seatpost situation. What I did was remove the two-bolt Nuovo Record and replaced it with a Super Record version. Both are Colnago pantographed.

Whatever tool I used - and I even have Campy's special wrench - I could not get a good saddle adjustment. I have no problem getting precise with an SR post, however. So, I looked around for about a year until I found one in a condition - and with a price - I could work with.

DD
Well I See I wasn’t too clear on the seatpost situation either! It sure is nice when that one part hits your crosshairs and the circumstances are right. Especially one like that. I’m riding out to spectate at a state champs cyclocross race in the area tomorrow — if it weren’t for the rain and road salt this thread would have me taking the Nuovo Mexico.

My @rootboy hoods have been getting better with age since 2013 or so; good for the long haul. Let et me know if you have some pre-CPSC brake blocks to wheel ‘n deal on some post-CPSC. Mine are the ones you drilled for my Klein, looking for PC drilled holders. (I wonder if these have the same stamping on the wheel guides under the plastic...?)
Old 11-25-18, 12:58 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by Sir_Name

Well I See I wasn’t too clear on the seatpost situation either! It sure is nice when that one part hits your crosshairs and the circumstances are right. Especially one like that. I’m riding out to spectate at a state champs cyclocross race in the area tomorrow — if it weren’t for the rain and road salt this thread would have me taking the Nuovo Mexico.

My @rootboy hoods have been getting better with age since 2013 or so; good for the long haul. Let et me know if you have some pre-CPSC brake blocks to wheel ‘n deal on some post-CPSC. Mine are the ones you drilled for my Klein, looking for PC drilled holders. (I wonder if these have the same stamping on the wheel guides under the plastic...?)
Yup! The Colnago-pantographed Super Record posts don't come up all that often, much less in the price I found this one. I get a price in my head and wait until I can get something at that price. In this case, it took a long time, but finally!

In the case of the brake blocks, I have nothing to wheel and deal with that's not in use on a bike. That's my problem; these aftermarket pads are nearly done and I have no Campy holders to make the switch back. And I don't want to pay a king's ransom for just the holders, so I'll probably have to search out a beat-up caliper pair to make it worth my while. I'll just ride the other bikes until I can get this issue sorted

DD
Old 11-25-18, 07:50 AM
Sir_Name 

Yup! The Colnago-pantographed Super Record posts don't come up all that often, much less in the price I found this one. I get a price in my head and wait until I can get something at that price. In this case, it took a long time, but finally!

In the case of the brake blocks, I have nothing to wheel and deal with that's not in use on a bike. That's my problem; these aftermarket pads are nearly done and I have no Campy holders to make the switch back. And I don't want to pay a king's ransom for just the holders, so I'll probably have to search out a beat-up caliper pair to make it worth my while. I'll just ride the other bikes until I can get this issue sorted

DD
Absolutely. I think it took two years to find a 120 mm stem for mine with the correct panto and in good condition. Well worth the wait, even for an item so important to fit!

I’ll keep an eye out for blocks. FWIW, I found a nice NR/SR set maybe five years ago on a ratty set of GS calipers for a cheap BIN price. eBay and pricing have certainly changed since then, but you never know. If I find a pre-CPSC set for my Klein I’ll get in touch as that would free up the drilled post-CPSC set. I’m sure we could work something out.
Old 11-25-18, 07:54 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Is that original paint? If so, I guess it never saw a trail!

Thanks for including this interesting niche Colnago

DD
It is original paint, and yes, any off roading that this bike saw was of the most gentle kind.
I told the story of how this bike came into my possession elsewhere, so I will quote the story below.
Sadly, my friend is now completely bed ridden, and his riding days are truly over.

I was recently gifted this beautiful Colnago Decor MTB from the brief period in the 90s when Colnago dabbled in mountain bikes.
The bike was originally outfitted with Campy MTB components, also only on the market for a brief period.
Anyway, to the story about the bike and how it came into my possession.
12 or 13 years ago, an elderly gentleman kept showing up at my shop, and every time I saw him, he would be riding a different bike.When I asked how many bikes he had, he couldn't tell me for sure, but he thought around 9 or 10.
At the time, I was doing a lot of IGH conversions, (my Shimano rep told me more than anyone in the country) and the gentleman was interested in trying one out. I installed a Shimano Alfine hub in one of his bikes, and he loved so much, he had me convert 3 more. This Colnago was one of them.
We struck up a friendship, he even worked for me part time, and he continued riding, but as his health declined, he rode less and less, and divested himself of the bulk of his bike collection.
Fast forward to a couple of months ago, my friend is now 83 years old, and has faced the sad reality that his declining health means his riding days are over. He was down to his last two bikes, which were his favorites, the Colnago, and a Rocky Mountain Metro, which I had also fitted with an Alfine hub.
His fondest wish was that these two bikes go to a good home, and he wanted me to have them. I was blown away to say the least, and while the frames are quite small for me, I am able to ride them comfortably with extended stem and seatpost, and to honor his wishes, they will stay in my stable forever.

Old 11-25-18, 08:06 AM
Sir_Name 

It is original paint, and yes, any off roading that this bike saw was of the most gentle kind.
I told the story of how this bike came into my possession elsewhere, so I will quote the story below.
Sadly, my friend is now completely bed ridden, and his riding days are truly over.
Sorry to hear about your friend.

Thanks for sharing the pic of his/your MTB, it’s not every day you see one of those! I’m aware of one other on these forums and not many more. A treat for sure.
Old 11-25-18, 12:38 PM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Best wished for your new, and possibly last build, I'm very sure it will be a super special Pog.
Thanks Gary.

I'm going all-out on the Pogliaghi, and I am hoping it will be the star of the fleet when she is done. I know, that's heresy in a Colnago thread!

But I'm glad this thread came back because I went to page 1 and saw your beautiful Colnago's for the first time in a long time! What a great collection and if I had to pick a favorite it would be the white with Italian flag colors on the TT, Conic SLX. Do you still have it and the rest?
Old 11-25-18, 03:53 PM
Ajb68

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Work in progress
Old 11-25-18, 07:38 PM
Gary Fountain

Originally Posted by Giacomo 1
Thanks Gary.

I'm going all-out on the Pogliaghi, and I am hoping it will be the star of the fleet when she is done. I know, that's heresy in a Colnago thread!

But I'm glad this thread came back because I went to page 1 and saw your beautiful Colnago's for the first time in a long time! What a great collection and if I had to pick a favorite it would be the white with Italian flag colors on the TT, Conic SLX. Do you still have it and the rest?
Hi Giacomo 1, I do still have all my Colnago's and, yes, the white one is my favourite. It's the only new bike (frame only) that I have ever owned. It has all sorts of valuable and personal meanings for me and, on top of that, I have only ever ridden it less than one mile. Would I ride it regularly? If I had to; yes I would, but I've never had to. It really represents my cycling past.

I'm now getting to a stage in my life that it is becoming important to me to pass on my bikes to new owners who will look after them and build their own memories. I haven't reached that stage just yet but it is constantly on my mind. If it happens, it won't happen cheaply but it won't be unrealistic either - haha.

Best wishes for your Pog build. There is something magical about Pogliaghi's and I'm sure your's will be something very special.
Old 11-25-18, 07:41 PM
Gary Fountain

Originally Posted by Ajb68

Work in progress
A very nice frame Ajb 68, one of Colnago's best ever steel frames. Good luck and best wishes.
Old 11-25-18, 07:45 PM
Gary Fountain

Such a desirable bike and an 'Ariostea' paint scheme too! I've never seen one and probably never will. What groupset is it sporting?
Old 11-25-18, 07:51 PM
Gary Fountain

Originally Posted by sloar
Swapped out a few things since I picked this up. Changed the shifters, saddle and bar tape.

This beauty really does say "Colnago" to me. Great groupset as well.
Old 11-25-18, 08:19 PM
Gary Fountain

It was really interesting to see the two Colnago Superissimp's belonging to rccardr and greenscobie86 - so similar yet both individuals. Such a beautiful blue colour I recall my interest in this frameset back in the day but I never actually saw one 'in the flesh'. I wonder if they were initially imported into Australia when they were first introduced. I do own one now and I'm really pleased to do so - it rides beautifully.

You guy's really have 2 bikes to be really proud of. Even though the colour is quite subdued, your bikes must attract plenty of attention from cyclists 'in the know'.

Hi derosafreak, besides an Arabesque mode (slightly earlier era)l, the Master Olympic is my favourite and most desirable frame from that broad Colnago era. And...... I've never owned either model but that doesn't stop me from drooling all over the photo of yours. How brash; how over the top; a Colnago at it's flashiest. I remember a mate of mine has the exact same Master Olympic frame as yours and it was starting to look a little tatty. He had it re-painted with the exact same paint scheme as the original by a premier frame painter here in Australia. For him, cost of the paint job wasn't an issue and it would have been very expensive, it just had to be exactly the same. I would, and still do admire it whenever I can - it is breathtaking just like yours.

Last edited by Gary Fountain; 11-25-18 at 08:39 PM.
Old 11-25-18, 08:22 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Such a desirable bike and an 'Ariostea' paint scheme too! I've never seen one and probably never will. What groupset is it sporting?
It was originally equipped with a Campy MTB group set. That was also a short lived offering that coincided with Colnago's brief foray into mountain bikes. The previous owner had me convert it to a Shimano Alfine IGH over a decade ago.
Not sure what he did with the Campy stuff I took off it, but he told me he has a box full of bike parts he wants me to have, and if it's still all there, I may just convert it back to original.
I think I still have the original wheels here somewhere, Campy hubs and Ambrosio rims. I plan to dig through my stash this week and see if I can locate them.
If the original components are lost, I will leave the IGH in place, and install a black crankset, stem and seat post just to get it colour coordinated.
It operates very nicely as it is.
Old 11-25-18, 08:45 PM
Gary Fountain

It was originally equipped with a Campy MTB group set. That was also a short lived offering that coincided with Colnago's brief foray into mountain bikes. The previous owner had me convert it to a Shimano Alfine IGH over a decade ago.
Not sure what he did with the Campy stuff I took off it, but he told me he has a box full of bike parts he wants me to have, and if it's still all there, I may just convert it back to original.
I think I still have the original wheels here somewhere, Campy hubs and Ambrosio rims. I plan to dig through my stash this week and see if I can locate them.
If the original components are lost, I will leave the IGH in place, and install a black crankset, stem and seat post just to get it colour coordinated.
It operates very nicely as it is.
That was the reason why I asked. I wondered if it had any of the Campy Mtb. groupset on it. You HAVE TO get those parts from the original owner. You may be lucky. Either way, you have a most desirable bike and, as you say, "It operates very nicely as it is".
Old 11-26-18, 05:06 AM
Dan Burkhart 

That was the reason why I asked. I wondered if it had any of the Campy Mtb. groupset on it. You HAVE TO get those parts from the original owner. You may be lucky. Either way, you have a most desirable bike and, as you say, "It operates very nicely as it is".
Yeah, I'm hoping for the best here, but at my age, I won't be riding it through the rock gardens anyway, so it makes a nice around town bike like it is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.