Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-13, 08:35 PM
PalmettoUpstate 
Verified Antique

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Different folks for different strokes, or something like that.

I grew up in Manhattan and am returning to my roots, now that I'm done spawning. My kids are on the west coast. We have a 1,400 square foot historic loft in Greenwich Village, where an episode of Law and Order was shot. We also have a place in the country, in a gorgeous part of New York State. And oddly enough, our living expenses will go down quite a bit by making this move. Plus, I stand to make more money.

Our current house is about 3,000 square feet, a Victorian house built in 1888. Our plot is a mere 62x100 feet, and the property taxes are $16,000 per year and rising fast. G'bye suburbia!
I hear ya! Sounds like the best of both worlds.

And 1400 sq. ft. is pretty comfortable IMO; --with ample room for two and enough room for "the spawn" and theirs to visit for short stretches.

For Mother's Day my two daughters are going in on a Brooks Flyer S for my wife's Lotus road bike that I'm getting her worked up to riding again. We're like you, in the "AC" phase, she used to ride that bike a good bit "BC" [before children] but hasn't been on it since she got pregnant with our first daughter... Hmmm... that's 28 years ago!

I was fortunate to find a Brooks Team Professional on the Gulfport, MS CL and picked it up for $70. My younger daughter and her husband went and inspected and snagged it for me. I'll take the pretty nice but rather pedestrian Selle that I have on my own "BC" road bike, a Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2, off of it and put on this beauty:

BTW, I rode that great bike - Panasonic-built - for a long time with a child seat on the back of it. Got some pics around here somewhere that I'm sure we'll have some chuckles over some day when our spawn spawns LOL...

On cities, Ben Stein on mine: https://spectator.org/archives/2013/0...ina-on-my-mind
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bspro-1.jpg (21.7 KB, 91 views)
Old 05-04-13, 08:49 PM
PalmettoUpstate 
Verified Antique

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Cartridge bottom bracket for vintage raleighs etc.?

Earlier in this thread someone pointed the forum to some parts - specifically a rear rack with an integral fold up stand - that is carried by DUTCH BIKE BITS.

Those folks have got a lot of useful - and well-priced stuff.

One thing I'm keenly interested is their Sunrace BBT 08.

I'm not sure if this is a stash of NOS stuff because I couldn't find the BBT 08 in Sunrace's current BB offerings; maybe someone has some insight on that; but what I really want to know is whether one of the four versions of the BBT 08 is a "drop in" solution for replacing ths cup and ball OEM stuff that came from Raleigh.

https://www.dutchbikebits.com/index.p...product_id=205

Attached Images
Old 05-05-13, 05:19 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by PalmettoUpstate
Earlier in this thread someone pointed the forum to some parts - specifically a rear rack with an integral fold up stand - that is carried by DUTCH BIKE BITS.

Those folks have got a lot of useful - and well-priced stuff.

One thing I'm keenly interested is their Sunrace BBT 08.

I'm not sure if this is a stash of NOS stuff because I couldn't find the BBT 08 in Sunrace's current BB offerings; maybe someone has some insight on that; but what I really want to know is whether one of the four versions of the BBT 08 is a "drop in" solution for replacing ths cup and ball OEM stuff that came from Raleigh.

https://www.dutchbikebits.com/index.p...product_id=205

Shoot David an email and ask. I have found that most of the major manufacturers make stuff that isn't on their websites, as well as stuff that is on their websites they don't actually make. Shimano is notorious for this. I found a dyno/rollerbrake hub on the US Shimano site, tried to order one, Shimano USA says it doesn't exist in their data base,...then WTH is it doing on your website? Turns out it was OEM for the Japanese market only, not available aftermarket OR in the US. Ended up contacting WorkCycles in NL and they reccomended and shipped me a hub that worked for my needs. Awesome customer service from Richard at WorkCycles.

I have ordered from Dutch Bike Bits a couple of times and have always be pleased with the product and the service.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 05-05-13, 05:56 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7349 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
Damn you! Now I'm going to spend days on that fantastic site. I might even spend money.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-05-13, 07:01 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

OK, I'm still on that site. Many have asked about the large sprockets. The site has them for cheap.

https://www.dutchbikebits.com/index.p...product_id=191

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 05-05-13, 07:24 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Damn you! Now I'm going to spend days on that fantastic site. I might even spend money.
Maybe we should do a bulk buy and save on shipping....

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 05-05-13, 07:51 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by wahoonc
Maybe we should do a bulk buy and save on shipping....

Aaron
I'd like that. I filled my cart up with $25 of stuff, but then the $25 shipping charge made me stop before paying.

Folks, please browse the site and tell me what you'd like to add to my order. I'll place the order and ship your stuff to you.

Old 05-05-13, 08:32 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,709 Times in 2,613 Posts
OK, I'm still on that site. Many have asked about the large sprockets. The site has them for cheap.

https://www.dutchbikebits.com/index.p...product_id=191
That is cheap, but given that you can get large tooth count Shimano Nexus cogs (which are dished) for about $7.50 shipped, I don't feel compelled to go Dutch.
Old 05-05-13, 09:03 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

I'd like that. I filled my cart up with $25 of stuff, but then the $25 shipping charge made me stop before paying.

Folks, please browse the site and tell me what you'd like to add to my order. I'll place the order and ship your stuff to you.
My average is about $150 worth of stuff and $50 shipping Apparently the shipping goes by weight but there is a minimum, by playing with my orders I have gotten the shipping to go down while the dollar value goes up.

Aaron

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 05-05-13, 10:18 AM
PalmettoUpstate 
Verified Antique

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Shoot David an email and ask. I have found that most of the major manufacturers make stuff that isn't on their websites, as well as stuff that is on their websites they don't actually make. Shimano is notorious for this. I found a dyno/rollerbrake hub on the US Shimano site, tried to order one, Shimano USA says it doesn't exist in their data base,...then WTH is it doing on your website? Turns out it was OEM for the Japanese market only, not available aftermarket OR in the US. Ended up contacting WorkCycles in NL and they reccomended and shipped me a hub that worked for my needs. Awesome customer service from Richard at WorkCycles.

I have ordered from Dutch Bike Bits a couple of times and have always be pleased with the product and the service.

Aaron
Done; thanks.

Last year when I first immersed myself in this addiction I followed a link from Velouria's blog to Workcycles and drooled...

I seem to remember that there is someone in the Pacific NW doing something similar but not at the same level seemingly. [and relying primarily on the robust Surlys IIRC.]
Old 05-05-13, 10:22 AM
PalmettoUpstate 
Verified Antique

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
That is cheap, but given that you can get large tooth count Shimano Nexus cogs (which are dished) for about $7.50 shipped, I don't feel compelled to go Dutch.
...and another thing; my limited but observant experience with Niagara is that they are really fair about their pricing on shipping when you bundle a number of things into one order. I do not order tires from them without picking up some other things that I need each time...
Old 05-05-13, 10:24 AM
PalmettoUpstate 
Verified Antique

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I might even spend money.
Ha-Ha! That sounds like a true skinflint that I know quite well.....
Old 05-06-13, 12:43 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
There was a lot of love going around this afternoon in Portland... our housemate was hosting the S.O.T.S. ride and the turnout was simply wonderful, the people were awesome and there was a rather impressive array of three speed bicycles that spanned 6 decades as well as some other non three speeds that were equally beautiful.

For me it was also really nice to meet a few people I know from here and other forums... I moderate on the Raleigh Twenty forum and met one of our members from there and we had a great time as her 20 and my wife's 20 are very close cousins.

Conrad's Raleigh Superbe is just that...

My 1954 Raleigh was the second oldest bike at the ride...

I believe my friend's Brompton was the newest, it is a 6 speed.

This Canadian beauty was striking... it is a CCM that has had some nice custom work.

After a ride and a picnic we wrapped up the day at the Lucky Lab and I enjoyed talking with Chris Igleheart who is a pretty humble guy considering he has been involved in some pretty legendary projects and is a notable builder who has just come back to Portland.
Old 05-06-13, 07:12 AM
conradpdx

Bikes: 70"s Raleigh Superbe, 1959 Murray Vanguard Middle weigh cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was definitely a good time and all went well (other than someones blow out).

And was a pleasure meeting you and your wife (Downriver represent!!!).

Lots of cool bikes and even cooler people. Already looking forward to the next one.

Though looking at your picks makes me remember I gotta re-run all my Dyno wires.....the projects never end do they?
Old 05-06-13, 10:30 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by conradpdx
Was definitely a good time and all went well (other than someones blow out).

And was a pleasure meeting you and your wife (Downriver represent!!!).

Lots of cool bikes and even cooler people. Already looking forward to the next one.

Though looking at your picks makes me remember I gotta re-run all my Dyno wires.....the projects never end do they?
It's a pretty small world... but then Portland has taken in a lot of refugees from Michigan.

I'm pretty sure that is the first flat my wife has had in well over six years... she has had the Twenty for almost 4 years and it has probably seen well over 5000 miles, has been loaned out to friends and family, and I use it a lot when I am here.

Was nice to see more 20's at the ride...
Old 05-07-13, 08:23 AM
PalmettoUpstate 
Verified Antique

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This showed up on another thread and I wanted it to be shown here for those with a need to know. Haven't tried it but looks promising...

Post #84 at the BF thread it is on:
$16 Dollar Cotter Press
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...6-Cotter-Press

Pic and link:
https://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...095_0006537807

Old 05-09-13, 02:23 PM
PatTheSlat 

Bikes: '63 Schwinn American, '64 DL-1, '65 Schwinn Racer, '73 Super Course, '83 Voyageur SP, '89 Miyata 914, '03 EZ-1, '13 Raleigh i8 Folder

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts
This showed up on another thread and I wanted it to be shown here for those with a need to know. Haven't tried it but looks promising...

Post #84 at the BF thread it is on:
$16 Dollar Cotter Press
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...6-Cotter-Press

Pic and link:
https://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...095_0006537807
That was me who posted about that, I've used it on three bikes now and it works great. Has a tendency to really shoot the cotters across the room when they break free though, so make sure anyone else around is standing clear.

Anyway, came here to post about the 1970 AMF Hercules I picked up a few weeks ago:

I'm thinking that handlebar setup had to have been done aftermarket, correct? I'd expect to see a setup like that from the 30s or 40s, but not from 1970. Other than that, it's pretty much the cleanest original old English bike I've ever seen. Paint shines like a mirror in most places. Headbadge and decals aren't faded at all. Original Bates Dunlop Lightweight tires are in great shape. It even has the original tubes with the threaded valve stems, which still hold air just fine. Has a functioning odometer attached to the front wheel, and it reads 31 miles- given the condition of the bike, I wouldn't be at all surprised if that's original mileage. Unfortunately it's quite a bit too small for me, so I'll be selling it, but it sure is pretty to look at. Here's a full album: https://imgur.com/a/1bfxQ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC01732.jpg (98.5 KB, 127 views)
Old 05-10-13, 06:44 PM
bmc5733946 

Bikes: 1974 Paramount White (Campagnolo Record) 1971 Schwinn Super Sport Kool Lemon (single speed) 1975 Viscount Aero Space Pro (Vintage Dura Ace) 1971 Raleigh Superbe (mens) 1974 Raleigh Superbe (ladies)

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I am about to repack the bottom bracket on my Raleigh Superbe, I am wondering if I should lubricate the crank arm engagement area of the spindle and / or the cotters. I do have a Bikesmith cotter press to press the pins home and was going to reuse the original cotters unless that is ill advised. Your thoughts will be appreciated.

1974 Paramount White (Campagnolo Record, Weinmann)
1975 Viscount Aerospace Pro (Vintage Dura-Ace)
1971 Schwinn Super Sport Kool Lemon (single speed)
1971 Raleigh Superbe (mens)
1974 Raleigh Superbe (ladies)
Old 05-10-13, 07:09 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Ha-Ha! That sounds like a true skinflint that I know quite well.....
Mmmmm? Have we met?
Old 05-10-13, 07:42 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by bmc5733946
I am about to repack the bottom bracket on my Raleigh Superbe, I am wondering if I should lubricate the crank arm engagement area of the spindle and / or the cotters. I do have a Bikesmith cotter press to press the pins home and was going to reuse the original cotters unless that is ill advised. Your thoughts will be appreciated.
I've never done that nor have I heard of anyone doing it. I suspect it doesn't matter whether you do or don't.

Old 05-10-13, 08:16 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 122 Posts
bmc lube it all. If your cotters are not damaged by all means use them. They fit. Use PB blaster or equiv before removing the old ones.
Old 05-10-13, 09:17 PM
SirMike1983 
On the road

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 857 Times in 327 Posts
Lube the small area where the cotter contacts the face of the spindle. Do NOT lube spindle surface where it contacts the bore of the crank arm. You want to resist movement of the arm independent of the spindle, not encourage it.
Old 05-13-13, 07:28 PM
PalmettoUpstate 
Verified Antique

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PatTheSlat
That was me who posted about that, I've used it on three bikes now and it works great. Has a tendency to really shoot the cotters across the room when they break free though, so make sure anyone else around is standing clear. RE: $16 cotter press... I already had the sukky HF chain breaker on hand and had replaced it with a Park so I pulled out the recommended bits and my 1/2 in drill driver [gotta have something bigger than usual for this job, --drill press is best but I don't own one] and a small 4" bench vise and had at it. Got some reasonably precision holes but I haven't used the finished product yet. When I do, I'll evaluate as to whether or not I need to go with the NAPA part that you pointed to instead. Thanks for the heads-up!

Anyway, came here to post about the 1970 AMF Hercules I picked up a few weeks ago:

I'm thinking that handlebar setup had to have been done aftermarket, correct? I'd expect to see a setup like that from the 30s or 40s, but not from 1970. Other than that, it's pretty much the cleanest original old English bike I've ever seen. Paint shines like a mirror in most places. Headbadge and decals aren't faded at all. Original Bates Dunlop Lightweight tires are in great shape. It even has the original tubes with the threaded valve stems, which still hold air just fine. Has a functioning odometer attached to the front wheel, and it reads 31 miles- given the condition of the bike, I wouldn't be at all surprised if that's original mileage. Unfortunately it's quite a bit too small for me, so I'll be selling it, but it sure is pretty to look at. Here's a full album: https://imgur.com/a/1bfxQ
Nice!
Old 05-13-13, 07:38 PM
PalmettoUpstate 
Verified Antique

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
Mmmmm? Have we met?
Ha-ha!

Probably...

[when my wife was in law school & I was a young Fortunate 500 exec, things were kinda tight. Don't wanna sound insensitive or anything but she started calling me Finestein back then....

...all these years later, ...and it's been quite a few of 'em, ...she allowed Sunday, ...as we made our way home after delivering the Schwinn Meridian to her mom to use for the family summer vacation, ...and seeing to it that she was settled in and pleased with it, ...that she was so very glad that I'd gotten her back into bikes... That's worth everything to me.]
Old 05-20-13, 05:43 AM
gster

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 288 Posts
Attached Images

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.