Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

The Helmet Thread 2

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.
View Poll Results: What Are Your Helmet Wearing Habits?
I've never worn a bike helmet
10.40%
I used to wear a helmet, but have stopped
4.80%
I've always worn a helmet
41.60%
I didn't wear a helmet, but now do
25.20%
I sometimes wear a helmet depending on the conditions
18.00%
Voters: 500. You may not vote on this poll

The Helmet Thread 2

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-15, 02:05 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Wonder how long it will take this tread to be moved or locked.
Old 06-17-15, 04:17 AM
Oldhead

Bikes: CAAD 8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CafeVelo
I hope he's ok! I always tell people that I can speak clearly because I was wearing a helmet. In today's group ride someone went down because the road narrows without any markings that it does. Because she was wearing a helmet she finished the ride rather than went to the hospital.
The riders in front didn't indicate that the road narrowed?
Old 06-17-15, 04:25 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Originally Posted by SynapseRider
My father wrecked his bike today, while not wearing his helmet. Wear your helmet!

Nice Pic...

Old 06-17-15, 04:48 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,927 Times in 4,160 Posts
Ouch. Glad he is ok.

Agree you should wear helmet, but you can't always force people to do something even if it's in their best interest.
Old 06-17-15, 05:28 AM
CNC2204
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Major award ....
Old 06-17-15, 05:33 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
He looks a bit like Homer Simpson in that pic.
Old 06-17-15, 05:47 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Wonder how long it will take this tread to be moved or locked.
Hopefully, soon.

Old 06-17-15, 05:54 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Glad he is OK and lesson learned???

My helmet has provided protection on numerous occasions. Once riding my motorcycle I went down in a turn a slid on the face shield for some distance. Glade the shield was between the road and my skin.

Not sure if wearing my helmet helped or hindered during my last big crash. Upon landing on my back and head, one of the two cracking noises was my C6. Also had slippage and compression of C5-C6-C7. Had I not been wearing the helmet there is a chance that no injuries other than a concussion might have occurred since the surface of my head would have been able to impact the dirt allowing more extension of my neck rather than compressing it.

The doubt is not enough to tip the scale to no helmet use. Ride safely.
Old 06-17-15, 06:09 AM
Willbird

Bikes: 2001 Trek Multitrack 7200, 2104 Fuji Sportif 1.5

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The people who do not understand resistance to both wearing a helmet, and resistance to feeling so much "safer" wearing a helmet will never understand. Nor will they ever understand resistance to letting them choose for others what makes sense to do. Personally if cycling were banned in urban centers over a certian population density IMHO more lives would be saved, or ban cars for all I care :-). The statistics are poorly kept but many cycling and cycling/car accidents contain a huge "duh" factor again IMHO.
Old 06-17-15, 07:00 AM
CNC2204
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ive been hit by cars 3 times, once doing 65 mph on a motorcycle and twice in the last 2 years on bikes.

I play in traffic everyday and the deck is stacked against me.

I have no illusions about helmets. My odds are better [with] than without.
Old 06-17-15, 07:06 AM
cydewaze
Emondafied

Bikes: See sig

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last month's crash resulted in a cracked helmet. I'm pretty sure that would've been my noggin.

my bike page - my journal
Current Stable: Trek Emonda SL - Trek Top Fuel 8 - Scattante XRL - Jamis Dakar Expert - Trek 9700 - AlpineStars Al Mega
Old 06-17-15, 07:11 AM
MZilliox

Bikes: Berthoud Randoneusse, Curt Goodrich steel road, Zanconato Minimax road, Jeff Lyon steel all road,

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
the reasons to say no are foolish at best.
Old 06-17-15, 07:43 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Someone at the office relayed a story to me last week. Decades ago, in another state, a young man and his wife and small child were on a family bicycle outing. Taking it easy, smell the roses ride. The road suddenly turned rough and the mother lost control, falling sideways and hitting her head directly. She had no helmet, and tragically was killed instantly. He allowed that he always wears a helmet, no exceptions, because he thinks of that story. I stumbled through some platitude about doing whatever we think we need, to stay safe.

But what it really reminded me of was our natural tendency to form a psychological dependency when we do things from habit. Let that go long enough, and we'll start to project unrealistic qualities onto the object in question. It had been awhile since I commuted without my helmet, so I resolved to do a week or two bare-headed to flush all of that out. I have to say, it makes the commute a fraction more pleasant, and incrementally more convenient, at the cost of an tiny increase in risk.
Old 06-17-15, 09:47 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by SynapseRider
My father wrecked his bike today, while not wearing his helmet. Wear your helmet!

How would a helmet have helped? From the looks, the cut and black eye occurred in areas without helmet coverage?

Originally Posted by CafeVelo
Because she was wearing a helmet she finished the ride rather than went to the hospital.
How do you know this; how can you claim this as truth?

Originally Posted by cydewaze
Last month's crash resulted in a cracked helmet. I'm pretty sure that would've been my noggin.
Again, you know this, how?
Old 06-17-15, 09:51 AM
mconlonx

Originally Posted by wphamilton
I have to say, it makes the commute a fraction more pleasant, and incrementally more convenient, at the cost of an tiny increase in risk.
Does the fractional pleasantry and incremental convenience outweigh any doubt or worry due to acknowledgment of minuscule increase in risk?

Most of the time I'm out on a bicycle (and all the time when I'm riding a motorcycle), I wear a helmet. There are times I don't wear a helmet while riding a bike. And I find, aside from a passing thought when setting out and either making an informed decision to bare-head the ride or when I suddenly realize I forgot to grab a helmet, there's really not much nagging doubt or worry about helmet use.
Old 06-17-15, 10:21 AM
cydewaze
Emondafied

Bikes: See sig

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx
Again, you know this, how?
The side of my helmet was cracked and a piece was loose. Since the helmet was between my head and the road, it's only logical that my head would have struck the pavement had the helmet not been in the way, especially considering the force of the impact. Thus, I'm "pretty sure" which is different from 100% certain, in case English isn't your first language.

Look, I have no problems with people who don't want to wear helmets. I think there should be no helmet laws of any kind for bicycles or motorcycles if you're an adult. If someone understands the potential risk and decides for themselves that they don't want to wear one, that doesn't affect me or anyone else but them.

But for me, I choose to wear one and that's my choice, so respect that just as I respect yours.

my bike page - my journal
Current Stable: Trek Emonda SL - Trek Top Fuel 8 - Scattante XRL - Jamis Dakar Expert - Trek 9700 - AlpineStars Al Mega
Old 06-17-15, 11:11 AM
floridamtb

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6, Trek Madone 4.5, Trek X-Caliber

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
glad I had mine on Sunday when I was launched over the bars at 20 mph in a chain reaction crash
Old 06-17-15, 11:14 AM
wphamilton

Does the fractional pleasantry and incremental convenience outweigh any doubt or worry due to acknowledgment of minuscule increase in risk?
On a fair weather commute, sure! I usually have it mainly as a prop, legitimacy when walking through the lobby disheveled and dressed rather casual, and to head off any potential nagging. Also one of the VP's used to include my desk as part of his introduction tour - and here's our cyclist who rides to work every day. So I kept it on my desk. Not so much to prevent traumatic head injury.

Bad weather or hard riding, I probably wear one regardless.

Most of the time I'm out on a bicycle (and all the time when I'm riding a motorcycle), I wear a helmet. There are times I don't wear a helmet while riding a bike. And I find, aside from a passing thought when setting out and either making an informed decision to bare-head the ride or when I suddenly realize I forgot to grab a helmet, there's really not much nagging doubt or worry about helmet use.
Old 06-17-15, 01:00 PM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On a fair weather commute, sure! I usually have it mainly as a prop, legitimacy when walking through the lobby disheveled and dressed rather casual, and to head off any potential nagging. Also one of the VP's used to include my desk as part of his introduction tour - and here's our cyclist who rides to work every day. So I kept it on my desk. Not so much to prevent traumatic head injury.

Bad weather or hard riding, I probably wear one regardless.
You're braver than I am to ride a bike in the Atlanta area without a helmet. A lot of those drivers are crazy. And the other half are ususally distracted.

GH
Old 06-17-15, 01:18 PM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by ColaJacket
You're braver than I am to ride a bike in the Atlanta area without a helmet. A lot of those drivers are crazy. And the other half are ususally distracted.

GH
It's true, there are aggressive and distracted drivers and many here who just lack the basic skills. Most of my default commute is on the Greenway, though honestly that's more dangerous than the traffic.

You have to keep it in perspective though. Either way the risk of of a head injury is slight, and if it happens it's probably minor. Figure the odds, make a decision, and it doesn't have to be the same decision every day.
Old 06-17-15, 02:16 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts

But what it really reminded me of was our natural tendency to form a psychological dependency when we do things from habit. Let that go long enough, and we'll start to project unrealistic qualities onto the object in question. It had been awhile since I commuted without my helmet, so I resolved to do a week or two bare-headed to flush all of that out. I have to say, it makes the commute a fraction more pleasant, and incrementally more convenient, at the cost of an tiny increase in risk.
So, just when was that last time you resolved to drive your car without seat belts to flush out your projected unrealistic qualities onto an inanimate object? [insert platitude about it's the law here.]

-mr. bill
Old 06-17-15, 02:21 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
How would a helmet have helped? From the looks, the cut and black eye occurred in areas without helmet coverage?
Only if the helmet is like this:

A CPSC bicycle helmet would have helped there. But do keep up the good FUD. Over and over and over again.

-mr. bill
Old 06-17-15, 02:49 PM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by mr_bill
So, just when was that last time you resolved to drive your car without seat belts to flush out your projected unrealistic qualities onto an inanimate object? [insert platitude about it's the law here.]

-mr. bill
Assuming as you insist, a disregard for traffic statutes:

An illogical analogy in context, unless you believe that both the probability risk ratios are similar and that there are similar chances of catastrophic consequences. Given that neither is the case I suspect that you haven't given any thought to it.

Risk ratio (serious accident) for seat belts range from .35 to .50 (with some variation due to improved safety equipment). Mortality adjustment is rather more pronounced: .28, ie 72% reduction in mortality Crandall CS, Olson LM, Sklar DP. Mortality reduction with air bag and seat belt use in head-on passenger car collisions

And no, I don't get pulled over for seat belt or any other violation, because I don't commit violations. I figured those odds decades ago.
Old 06-17-15, 09:04 PM
davegreg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaywalk3r
Helmets can help in some accidents, and hurt in others.

In the past five years, I've had two accidents in which a helmet might have made a difference. In neither case would that difference been beneficial for me; it would have made things worse. But both would have produced awesome "my helmet saved my life" pictures!
I fully agree. But I still wear a helmet sometimes. At least it's protective to a certain extent.
Old 06-18-15, 08:37 AM
mconlonx

Originally Posted by mr_bill
A CPSC bicycle helmet would have helped there. But do keep up the good FUD. Over and over and over again.
I had to look up what FUD means: Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt.

Sounds like a good description of the "helmet saved my life!" crowd, and many other of the unfounded claims helmeteers make.

Just because I wear a helmet for my own reasons doesn't mean you should wear one, too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.