Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why is being a beginner/recreational cyclist with an expensive bike a crime?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-06, 05:58 PM
guncollector

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Y'know, I get the distinct impression that some--not all mind you--here like nothing more than to criticize and berate those beginner/recreational cyclists who spend their hard-earned money on an expensive bike. These same folks seem also to like nothing more than to point out how they passed some dude on a $$$$ CF bike today.

What's up with that? I mean, who really gives a cr*p? What did these bike owners do to deserve such derision? Why is being a beginner/recreational cyclist with an expensive bike a treated like a crime? Is it just petty jealousy? Or, is it just immaturity?
Old 07-27-06, 06:03 PM
jschen
riding once again

Bikes: '06 Cervelo R3, '05 Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think part of it is some people wanting the person to be clear that having a nicer bike won't make a substantive performance difference. That's a fair point that some beginning cyclists may not realize. But hey, if you've got the money and want to spend it that way, don't let us stop you. As long as you enjoy it, it's all cool. Yeah, there's some who are jealous, some who are immature, and some who think you have to "earn" the right to a nice bike. Don't let those people bother you.
Old 07-27-06, 06:05 PM
Phoible

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Probably jealousy. There is nothing wrong with buying expensive bikes. I think of it as sort of a good thing - a lot of those expensive bikes end up as terrific bargains on eBay/Craigslist when the original owner upgrades.
Old 07-27-06, 06:08 PM
dauphin

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Phoible
Probably jealousy. There is nothing wrong with buying expensive bikes. I think of it as sort of a good thing - a lot of those expensive bikes end up as terrific bargains on eBay/Craigslist when the original owner upgrades.
+1
Old 07-27-06, 06:13 PM
francisb

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it's youthful machismo. When I was in my mid 20's, riding and training in the San Jose area, we'd chuckle at the fancy Litespeed Ti bike with the middle age guy with a big gut on it...

Now, 20 years, later, I've become the middle age guy; carrying 10 lbs too much around the middle, riding a nice $3k bike, being passed by the young turks, who chuckle at me.. I just smile. Someday they'll be in my shoes :-)
Old 07-27-06, 06:14 PM
guncollector

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jschen
Don't let those people bother you.
Y'know, it doesn't bother me at all. I just find it an interesting phenomenon, the more so because the critics seem to be so open about their sentiments.

Coming from a shooting sports background--can you tell by my username?--its usually quite the opposite. Firearms, be they sporting or tactical, are very pricey--often more so than a new Litespeed fitted all with Dura-Ace componenets. But, shooters tend to be supportive, and share their admiration of the firearm with their owners (even if they're beginner or novice shooters).

Last edited by guncollector; 07-27-06 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07-27-06, 06:15 PM
STEVO820
i am eddy.

Bikes: TREK 1000, Lemond Sarthe, Formaggio T.I.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey im a fat ass (working on getting rid of it lol) i bought a trek 820 to lose weight then in like a few months a bought a trek 1000 cause i wanted a road bike. then a few months after that i bought wheels/tires/new tape for the 1000 a few WEEKS later i bought my Sarthe. i have over 3000 dollars in bikes and parts in my garage and i just ordered a track bike from BD for 360 bucks. and im only 21. i have the money and im gonna do want i want and if someone wants to post " i dropped a fat ass riding a Sarthe last week" i wont give a *****, because we all know the 05 Sarthe is one of the most sexiest bikes in the world
Old 07-27-06, 06:18 PM
PrfectHair4ever

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by STEVO820
" i dropped a fat ass riding a Sarthe last week"

that made me laugh.
Old 07-27-06, 06:21 PM
oneradtec
Coastal NC

Bikes: 2004 Trek 5200 w/ Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is your Sarthe orange? Yes, that is one sexy bike!
Old 07-27-06, 06:24 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by guncollector
Y'know, it doesn't bother me at all. I just find it an interesting phenomenon, the more so because the critics seem to be so open about their sentiments.
Part of it is the anonymity of the 'net...people say things they'd never remotely say if you were looking them in the eye.

Then there is the

or the type, or

type who's mouth (or keyboard) is a

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 07-27-06, 06:29 PM
spiderbike
Walmart partner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I complain because I can't afford those nice bikes...at least I have a used trek 1000,

if only I could afford a crank remover I could get ride of that damn squeak before my BB breaks
Old 07-27-06, 06:31 PM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I'm sure there is some jealousy out there, but you are also being way to sensitive. Just go ride and have fun. 95% of the other cyclists you meet on the road will be very supportive of what you are doing and the other 5% will keep quiet as long as you don't arrogantly brag about your expensive, under utilized bike.
Old 07-27-06, 07:24 PM
bmclaughlin807
Crankenstein

Bikes: Novara Randonee (TankerBelle)

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hah! I don't care how much you paid for your bike, with one exception: If said bike hangs in the garage 360 days of the year, and comes out once in a blue moon for a trip around the lake... and even then, I don't care unless you're posting "I just bought a super sweet carbon fiber wisp with wheels and paid $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for it. Aren't I just the coolest?"

The people that buy bikes (or houses, or Hummers, or boats, or whatever) because it shows how high their status is get on my nerves. Seeing a spotless, lifted, big-tired 4x4 truck with off-road lights, full grill and light guards, and winch that doesn't have a spot on it, and likely has never been within 5 miles of a gravel road annoys the #$%^ out of me.

In the end... who the hell cares what others think/say?

GO OUT AND RIDE!

But... if you want to pay $8,000 for a bike you ride on the weekends... hey, it's your money. Have at it.
"There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old 07-27-06, 07:26 PM
zowie

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I don't care about beginners on expensive bikes, but for some reason it bothers me to see people who can't drive in performance cars.
Old 07-27-06, 07:37 PM
FrankBattle 
SilentRider

Bikes: Trek Madone SLR 7, Giant TCR Advanced Pro, Trek Domane SLR, Trek Emonda SLR Project One (x2), custom Bingham Built Titanium road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
because you have the bike they wished they saved up for.

But seriously, why do you care? You keep being smug. Let 'em keep being mad/jealous/upset/whatever. Why is it that important that people acknowledge that you have an expensive bike?

*starting to sound like one of those "jealous" people ..*
Old 07-27-06, 07:39 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11975 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
Is it just petty jealousy? Or, is it just immaturity?
Yes.

Both.

Without a doubt.
Old 07-27-06, 07:43 PM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by STEVO820
hey im a fat ass (working on getting rid of it lol) i bought a trek 820 to lose weight then in like a few months a bought a trek 1000 cause i wanted a road bike. then a few months after that i bought wheels/tires/new tape for the 1000 a few WEEKS later i bought my Sarthe. i have over 3000 dollars in bikes and parts in my garage and i just ordered a track bike from BD for 360 bucks.
If you end up liking the Mercier, lemme get the Sarthe. You'll rarely be riding it.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 07-27-06, 07:47 PM
catatonic
Chairman of the Bored

Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
only time I would ever look down is if I see some guy on a $8,000+ bike, that can't even do a 15mph 20miler, yet has to smack talk prior to the ride.

Having cash is cool....enjoy it.

Acting like the next Eddy, only to get beat by me of all people...now that's just sad....I might be great at sprints and short distances, but put me on a 20mile ride, and it takes the bite out of me. The joys of being very overweight.
Old 07-27-06, 07:50 PM
H1449-6
Former grouch, now happy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zowie
I don't care about beginners on expensive bikes, but for some reason it bothers me to see people who can't drive in performance cars.
+1. Especially when they're driving 50 miles an hour in the fast lane.
Old 07-27-06, 08:17 PM
laterider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also worry about the guys with performance cars who think they can drive. A guy today was going in the opposite direction on a divided road with bike lines in some kinda souped-up mustang (yah I know mustang, no beamer or.. ), but it howled like it had a turbo or super charger in it, and he was screaming in it. I'm just glad he was going the other way. The three foot bike lane felt about 6" wide after I saw that!!

I also thought the general rule was: "buy the best bike you can afford". I guess that can get out of control with whats out there!!
Old 07-27-06, 08:26 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Y'know, I get the distinct impression that some--not all mind you--here like nothing more than to criticize and berate those beginner/recreational cyclists who spend their hard-earned money on an expensive bike. These same folks seem also to like nothing more than to point out how they passed some dude on a $$$$ CF bike today.

What's up with that? I mean, who really gives a cr*p? What did these bike owners do to deserve such derision? Why is being a beginner/recreational cyclist with an expensive bike a treated like a crime? Is it just petty jealousy? Or, is it just immaturity?

The only potential crime I can see here is a newbie being mugged by their local bike shop.

Nothing wrong with that : ).
Old 07-27-06, 08:43 PM
Ritterview
Tandem Vincitur

Bikes: BMC Pro Machine SLC01, Specialized Globe, Burley Rock 'N Roll tandem, Calfee Dragonfly tandem.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
...a nicer bike won't make a substantive performance difference.
I'd have thought that once. In May, however, I switched out my alum/carbon Centaur Orbea for a BMC Pro Machine. Wheels are Campy Eurus on both. On my 9.4 mile flat/rolling trip to work, a good time for me had been 32:30 min, 17.5 mph. Now it is 27:59 min, 20.26 mph. The friends who used to drop me on hills are now dropped by me. I didn't expect such a significant improvement, but it is undeniable. It appears to be about a 1.5-2 mph difference on the flats, and greater on the hills.
Old 07-27-06, 09:00 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Y'know, I get the distinct impression that some--not all mind you--here like nothing more than to criticize and berate those beginner/recreational cyclists who spend their hard-earned money on an expensive bike.
YUP! The same individuals have other names to berate other riders. I don't claim to know all of them, but in the short time I've been road riding I've learned a few. Here goes:
Clydesdale: Any cyclist over 200 lbs.
Fred: Older cyclist who usually rides an older bike and (supposedly) is among the first to get dropped in a group ride.
Poser: Cyclist who has the 'correct' bike, matching jersey, helmet, shorts, sox, gloves etc. but does not quite have the cycling skill sets to match the quality of the equipment.
Some may disagree with the accuracy of these definitions and there certainly are other names I've not listed here. However, I think your other comment is also correct; most cyclists are into cycling and respect others regardless of their skill level. I just ignore the conceited jerks and don't let them spoil my fun. It pisses them off big time.
Old 07-27-06, 09:01 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by zowie
Yep, that anoyes me too. Especially when I'm stuck behind them going 20mph on a mountain road (on a bike down hill, in my car in general).
Old 07-27-06, 09:26 PM
haimtoeg
Magnesium Dogmatic

Bikes: Look 585 Ultra, Pinarello Dogma, Pegoretti Duende, Orbea, Cannondale Capo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is it just petty jealousy? Or, is it just immaturity?
It is both + low blood sugar. Just have fun riding and enjoy the fact that you can afford a top class bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.