Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

$1500 Tax Credit for Bike Purchases

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

$1500 Tax Credit for Bike Purchases

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-22, 06:54 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Anything to do with electric vehicles. renewable energy, e-bikes etc is just about politics....Politicians know how to manipulate people to get votes from them.
Old 02-12-22, 07:10 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Anything to do with electric vehicles. renewable energy, e-bikes etc is just about politics....Politicians know how to manipulate people to get votes from them.
So you're pretending that burning non-renewable fossil fuels isn't actually posing an environmental threat?

Take that bs to P&R.
Old 02-12-22, 07:50 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
So you're pretending that burning non-renewable fossil fuels isn't actually posing an environmental threat?

Manufacturing of electric vehicles, e-bikes, batteries and an entire cycling industry is heavily dependent on using fossil fuels...Carbon fiber manufacturing is more polluting and requires a lot more more energy from fossil fuels than steel manufacturing...Personally I don't even believe in man-made climate change and all the carbon footprint non-sense, so it makes no difference to me. It's all about politics and politicians hungering for more power. These type of threads have nothing to do with cycling and should be posted in P & R...
Old 02-12-22, 12:58 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Manufacturing of electric vehicles, e-bikes, batteries and an entire cycling industry is heavily dependent on using fossil fuels...Carbon fiber manufacturing is more polluting and requires a lot more more energy from fossil fuels than steel manufacturing...Personally I don't even believe in man-made climate change and all the carbon footprint non-sense, so it makes no difference to me. It's all about politics and politicians hungering for more power. These type of threads have nothing to do with cycling and should be posted in P & R...

If it's legislation possibly affecting the costs of some type of bicycle, and I include ebikes, then I think it's fair game for discussion on General Cycling. When you start blathering on about whether you believe in climate change, then you're drifting off into generalized politics, which really doesn't belong here.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-12-22, 06:40 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,579 Times in 7,337 Posts
Posted in P&R? Try to keep up.
Old 02-12-22, 06:43 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,579 Times in 7,337 Posts

Take that bs to P&R.
Not possible, at least at this time​​​​​​.
Old 02-14-22, 10:32 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,493 Times in 4,189 Posts
carbon footprint of .14 kWh in the united states on “average”: .12 lbCO2e
I'm going to plead not guilty for misreading your figure when you leave off the 0 in 0.12 and put the decimal point immediately after the colon. Good luck seeing that decimal point on a tablet or phone.
​​
In other words...'I am wrong, but I will not admit I am wrong, even though I recognize I am wrong and explain why I was wrong.'
Old 02-14-22, 10:56 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
In other words...'I am wrong, but I will not admit I am wrong, even though I recognize I am wrong and explain why I was wrong.'
i mean, this is the same person who also said

Also, this is a very weird measure if what you're doing is comparing the ecological impact of ebikes. You've picked a measure that no one has claimed as being its major pollutant.
im not sure if it’s willful ignorance, irony, or something else. sure, there are those who debate the semantics but carbon dioxide emissions from human and human supporting activities is considered by most (not all) to be a pollutant. ruled by the supreme court in 2007 and affirmed by hundreds of studies since.
Old 02-14-22, 03:14 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
im not sure if it’s willful ignorance, irony, or something else. sure, there are those who debate the semantics but carbon dioxide emissions from human and human supporting activities is considered by most (not all) to be a pollutant
Except that the main point of the post you attacked was actually this:

Once you start putting out bogus statistics like how much CO2 is put into the atmosphere by a beef-fueled bike

Everyone knows actual cyclists run on gels and beer.
Likes For UniChris:
Old 02-14-22, 03:47 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by mschwett
i mean, this is the same person who also said

im not sure if it’s willful ignorance, irony, or something else. sure, there are those who debate the semantics but carbon dioxide emissions from human and human supporting activities is considered by most (not all) to be a pollutant. ruled by the supreme court in 2007 and affirmed by hundreds of studies since.

Actually, my quote, if you had any reading comprehension at all, was referring to ebikes specifically. CO2 emissions are not the primary ecological concerns with the batteries and motors.

If you're claiming that I denied CO2 was a major pollutant, you're either lying or completely illiterate.

Last edited by livedarklions; 02-14-22 at 04:23 PM.
Old 02-14-22, 04:42 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

No, I admitted I misread their number, but the way they wrote that number caused my misreading. I'm not sure I've ever seen someone put a decimal point immediately to the right of a colon before.
": .12 lb CO2e" is friggin' hard to read in a sentence on a tablet. When they responded to my error, they announce it's "ZERO POINT TWELVE pounds" like that's what they wrote. Notice the "ZERO"? That wasn't there, and it's a pretty great example of why we have that convention.

Now, you want to explain what the comparison between ebikes and human-powered bikes has to do with the comparison of the carbon footprint of beef production vs. other foods? Because I don't know about you, but I don't think grossly exaggerating the carbon footprint of pedaling a bicycle is a rhetorical strategy we should encourage.
Old 02-14-22, 04:46 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by UniChris
Except that the main point of the post you attacked was actually this:

Everyone knows actual cyclists run on gels and beer.

If they're serious about the subject, they should go crazy about the ecological impact of keto diets.
Old 02-14-22, 05:10 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

No, I admitted I misread their number, but the way they wrote that number caused my misreading. I'm not sure I've ever seen someone put a decimal point immediately to the right of a colon before.
": .12 lb CO2e" is friggin' hard to read in a sentence on a tablet. When they responded to my error, they announce it's "ZERO POINT TWELVE pounds" like that's what they wrote. Notice the "ZERO"? That wasn't there, and it's a pretty great example of why we have that convention.

Now, you want to explain what the comparison between ebikes and human-powered bikes has to do with the comparison of the carbon footprint of beef production vs. other foods? Because I don't know about you, but I don't think grossly exaggerating the carbon footprint of pedaling a bicycle is a rhetorical strategy we should encourage.
I do not want to explain the comparison you asked about.
Old 02-14-22, 05:27 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I do not want to explain the comparison you asked about.

Nah, you'd rather do a drive-by cheap shot.
Old 02-14-22, 05:41 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Nah, you'd rather do a drive-by cheap shot.
Or maybe I don't want to explain it because I don't fully follow it.
I also don't want to explain quantum mechanics.
Old 02-14-22, 06:00 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
If they're serious about the subject, they should go crazy about the ecological impact of keto diets.
Exactly. So much of the benefit of habitual utility cycling would be as an alternative route to health that's not a high-resource-cost fad diet.

If someone's actually burning up enough energy propelling themselves that they need to up the energy content of their food intake, the difference can be low impact sources like grains.

Commuting on an e-bike isn't quite driving a fuel vehicle to the gym, but it's removing one of the huge benefits of cycling, and still leaving most of the main sticking points like:

- rain
- cold (actually makes that worse!)
- snow & ice
- safety on poorly designed roads that see driver misbehavior
- travel time (if the motor is substantially shortening that, it's also making things less safe)
- personal safety
- bike storage / theft
- child hauling capacity
- grocery hauling capacity
- complications of going into additional stores after making large volume purchases at the first

It's hard to think of many trips not presently made by bike, where putting a motor on the bike would make change the decision - maybe if someone has a short commute in extremely hilly terrain, or needs to pull kids in a trailer.

The more likely actual wins for those "bike is a hard sell" trip are going to be compact plug-in ev's with the weather independence, capacity, and security people are accustomed to from their cars.

What "normalizing e-bikes" is likely to actually do, is make the idea of simply pedaling a bicycle seem to the mainstream something best reserved for pre-teen children below 12 or whatever when they get their first motorized one, and oddball lycra types, rather than something very practical in its own right.

Last edited by UniChris; 02-14-22 at 08:56 PM.
Old 02-14-22, 06:20 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Or maybe I don't want to explain it because I don't fully follow it.
I also don't want to explain quantum mechanics.

So to be clear, you chose to jump into an argument you don't understand just to accuse me of.... something?
Old 02-14-22, 06:46 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

So to be clear, you chose to jump into an argument you don't understand just to accuse me of.... something?
No, I chose to jump in and respond to something I found funny.
I like responding to things that humor me.

I understand your point and the other poster's point. I haven't opined on that topic because I don't know if what the other poster is accurate in their claims. To be clear, I think it's odd to compare the things that poster has compared..
Old 02-15-22, 05:32 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

No, I chose to jump in and respond to something I found funny.
I like responding to things that humor me.

I understand your point and the other poster's point. I haven't opined on that topic because I don't know if what the other poster is accurate in their claims. To be clear, I think it's odd to compare the things that poster has compared..
So falsely accusing me of lying is funny? Have a nice day.
Old 02-15-22, 06:55 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

So falsely accusing me of lying is funny? Have a nice day.
Nope, I didn't falsely accuse you of lying.

I will walk away so that you can hopefully move on from my observation.
Old 02-15-22, 07:18 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Nope, I didn't falsely accuse you of lying.

I will walk away so that you can hopefully move on from my observation.
Now you're lying. You accused me of denying by omission that I was wrong about his math, which would have been a lie. I didn't deny it, as you note I explained why I made the error. What exactly did I fail to "admit"?

You accused me of something I didn't do because you found it " funny". Yes, I take offense at your "observation".
​​​​​

Last edited by livedarklions; 02-15-22 at 07:47 AM.