Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Fire as paint remover?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Fire as paint remover?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-24, 06:47 PM
Bogey Speedwell

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone, Trek Dual Sport, State Bicycle Klunker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 69 Posts
Was there a specific reason you wanted to stop it down to bare metal to repaint it? I’m certainly not a body tech, but anyplace that still has decent paint could be sanded with 220, cleaned and repainted. If you’re taking it to bare metal you will of course need to prim it before it’s painted anyway.
Old 02-20-24, 07:34 AM
Jicafold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
Well throwing a frame into a fire is not such a good thing. It does look like you had a good result. Lucky You!

I have used a butane lighter to heat up and remove decals on a frame before using paint stripper. I have also used a Heat Gun at low temp to remove paint on a fork. I have also used a cotton ball saturated with alcohol to produce a low temp fire and remove small sections of paint on a bicycle.
I was hesitant but it worked out well. It does not get nearly hot enough to affect things such as brazing. I only put one section of the frame into the flame at a time for approximately 1 minute....watching for the paint to darken and discolor. Then I grabbed and removed it by the cold section, and scrubbed it with steel wool. The paint comes right off.

I wish I had a heat gun.

Last edited by Jicafold; 02-20-24 at 07:44 AM.
Likes For Jicafold:
Old 02-20-24, 11:00 AM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 383 Posts
I just wonder how toxic the fumes are?
Likes For gearbasher:
Old 02-20-24, 11:16 AM
ericoseveins
I like cats.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Jicafold
I was hesitant but it worked out well. It does not get nearly hot enough to affect things such as brazing. I only put one section of the frame into the flame at a time for approximately 1 minute....watching for the paint to darken and discolor. Then I grabbed and removed it by the cold section, and scrubbed it with steel wool. The paint comes right off.
I want to try this with my stainless water bottle cage but I'm wondering how it'll come out cosmetically. I know your frame wasn't stainless but did you get a lot of bluing that didn't come off with the steel wool? Or was there anything else that was just ugly?
Old 02-26-24, 08:27 AM
Jicafold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by ericoseveins
I want to try this with my stainless water bottle cage but I'm wondering how it'll come out cosmetically. I know your frame wasn't stainless but did you get a lot of bluing that didn't come off with the steel wool? Or was there anything else that was just ugly?
If you want to get the discoloration off you can wet sand it for a bit.