Search
Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Did You Ride Today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-18, 09:47 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
Not bad weather for Florida today. Rode from the house in NW Gainesville to Hawthorn connecting on the trail. Hardly a breeze, 62 at the start of the ride. Despite feeling a little sluggish, rode 49 miles.
Old 04-29-18, 06:59 PM
DGoodrow

Location: Just up the road from the Withlacoochee Trail-Holder Trailhead

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 2018 Trek Domane SL5 Disk

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RonH
Another great ride today. Rode from the house on the county trail to the Withlacoochee Trail. Then north to the Citrus Springs trailhead. Then a nice ride back home.
Had a slight wind out of the north today. Not a problem like the west wind on my last ride. Rode 27.3 miles.
I did 60 miles today! While on the ride the bike developed a noise with each crank....or not. I stopped by David's in Inverness and they quickly determined it was loose rear spokes. Fixed in a minute. Do you think this is just new bike adjustments or something more ominous?
Old 04-30-18, 05:42 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by DGoodrow
I did 60 miles today! While on the ride the bike developed a noise with each crank....or not. I stopped by David's in Inverness and they quickly determined it was loose rear spokes. Fixed in a minute. Do you think this is just new bike adjustments or something more ominous?
Most new bikes need adjusting but loose spokes is usually not one of the things needing adjustment so soon. Sounds like a visit to David's to have both wheels checked is needed. That's why I'm not a fan of machine built wheels, which is what you'll find on most new bikes.
FYI: The Litespeed has hand built wheels from 2010. They have never needed to be adjusted.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 05-02-18, 02:28 PM
RonH
Life is good

Another great ride from the house to the Withlacoochee Trail and north to Country Club Dr. in Citrus Springs. Then turned around and headed home. Rode 30.8 miles.

On a happy note I got an email from Lynskey and the tracking number says my bike should be delivered Friday May 4.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 05-04-18, 03:01 PM
RonH
Life is good

Another ride from the house to the Withlacoochee Trail. Started a low carb diet yesterday and didn't have a lot of energy so didn't ride as far.
The new bike came after I got home.

I started assembling the bike until it started getting warm. I don't have an air conditioned garage so I'll finish it tomorrow morning. The back porch is on the west side of the house and will stay comfortable until about 1:00PM. I'll post pics when its finished.

Last edited by RonH; 05-04-18 at 03:04 PM.
Old 05-05-18, 10:51 AM
RonH
Life is good

Here's the bike. Started assembling it yesterday afternoon and finished it today. All it needs now is a bath to get the oily film off the Ti. Probably from the welding process?

Notice the helix (twist) in the downtube? The seat stays also have the helix but hard to see in the pics.

No ride today but a new neighbor was riding around last night and saw me working on it in the driveway. He asked about the bike. He has an aluminum Orbea. He thinking of getting a new bike. Anyway, we're meeting up Monday morning for the maiden voyage and our first ride together.

Last edited by RonH; 05-05-18 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-06-18, 07:02 PM
bwrench

Bikes: Scott CR1, Cannondale quick5, Actionbent tusanami

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did ride yesterday.

After being off my bike for a few years, I'm back on. Three new knees and a back problem,,,,,, I was out yesterday and did 16 miles. It sure felt good to be back in the wind and fresh air.
Old 05-07-18, 12:29 PM
RonH
Life is good

Originally Posted by bwrench
After being off my bike for a few years, I'm back on. Three new knees and a back problem,,,,,, I was out yesterday and did 16 miles. It sure felt good to be back in the wind and fresh air.
Glad you're back. I see you're from Washington state and this is the South East regional subforum. Did you intend for this post to be here or did you want it in the PNW subforum?

Old 05-07-18, 01:26 PM
RonH
Life is good

Met Bernie (the new neighbor) at the trail today. This was my first ride on the Lynskey. The ride was awesome. Got a great workout. The only problem was the rear derailleur. I had to stop twice to do an adjustment on the barrel adjuster. But that's to be expected on any new bike. Had a nice ride from Hernando to the north end and back. Bernie says he usually only rides 10-25 miles. I'll have to get him out of that routine.
Didn't see Bruce @DowneasTTer and his wife. Maybe we'll cross paths on Wednesday.

Last edited by RonH; 05-07-18 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-10-18, 05:41 PM
RonH
Life is good

Rode from home yesterday with Bernie (my new cycling neighbor). Met Dave (@DGoodrow) in Hernando and rode south to Floral City. Did 39 miles round trip. It was my first "long" ride on the Lynskey. The ride was very comfortable. Possibly more comfortable that the Litespeed. Is that possible?
I'll be riding north on Saturday. Maybe I'll see Bruce (@DowneasTTer) so he can see the bike.

Old 05-12-18, 10:05 AM
RonH
Life is good

Took the Lynskey out again today. Bernie and I rode from our neighborhood to the Withlacoochee Trail and then north to Holder. Stopped there for a rest and drink. Then headed home. Met Bruce (@DowneasTTer) in Hernando. Rode a total of 26 miles.

Old 05-13-18, 08:38 AM
DGoodrow

Location: Just up the road from the Withlacoochee Trail-Holder Trailhead

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 2018 Trek Domane SL5 Disk

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RonH
Rode from home yesterday with Bernie (my new cycling neighbor). Met Dave (@DGoodrow) in Hernando and rode south to Floral City. Did 39 miles round trip. It was my first "long" ride on the Lynskey. The ride was very comfortable. Possibly more comfortable that the Litespeed. Is that possible?
I'll be riding north on Saturday. Maybe I'll see Bruce (@DowneasTTer) so he can see the bike.
Many posts ago I suggested that there might be jealousy between those two...this isn't starting out well at all.
Old 05-13-18, 04:06 PM
RonH
Life is good

Originally Posted by DGoodrow
Many posts ago I suggested that there might be jealousy between those two...this isn't starting out well at all.
There's no jealousy. The two bikes are cousins. The Lynskey was made by the Lynskey family sons. The Litespeed was made by their father.
The Litespeed is going out on my next ride. Still watching the rain to see when that might be.

Old 05-18-18, 05:52 PM
RonH
Life is good

I texted Dave and Bernie last night that the weather for today looked kinda iffy so told them I'd wait until Saturday to ride. Somehow Verizon didn't get the message to them and they rang the doorbell a few minutes after 8 this morning. We were supposed to go to the Suncoast trail. Needless to say I wasn't ready. I hadn't even checked the weather. Since I wasn't ready Bernie simply said "maybe next time". Dave got all pissed off and pulled out of the driveway. Not my fault they didn't get the message. My wife said since we were up (we'd been lying in bed trying to decide what we'd do today) that I might as well ride since the sun was shinning. First sunny day since Saturday. So I got dressed and got the Lynskey (this was the Lynskey's first ride on the Suncoast) and riding gear in the car and drove to the SR50 trailhead on the Suncoast trail (approx 35 miles away). This was my first ride on the trail in 4-5 years. Got to the trail and headed north. Its approx 12 miles to the north end with 5 hills (good sized "Florida hills"). At 3 miles I couldn't remember if I locked the car so turned around. Good thing because the car wasn't locked. I got to the north end and was feeling ok. Ate an energy bar before heading south. Part way south I got really tired. Had to stop for about 20 minutes. Not fun with the sun shining down. Took my time from that point getting back to the car. Needless to say the trail kicked my butt today. Rode a total of 30.8 miles.
I saw 5 tortoises. Saw all the pre-construction demolition for the Suncoast highway extension.

Looks like the trail will be re-routed to go straight to the north end parking area rather than turning like its done since the trail was built. The highway extension will go across the present trail for the last 1.5 miles.

Last edited by RonH; 05-18-18 at 05:57 PM.
Old 05-22-18, 10:36 AM
RonH
Life is good

No rain in the forecast when I got up so got dressed, aired up the tires on the Litespeed and head out. Rode from home on the county trail to the Withlacoochee Trail and rode north to the Citrus Springs trailhead. Had a snack and drink and then head home. Good to be back on the Litespeed which has been enjoying a well deserved rest for the past few weeks. Rode a total of 28 miles.

Old 05-24-18, 05:37 PM
RonH
Life is good

Got up late today so loaded the Lynskey into the car and drove to the Withlacoochee Trail where there's some shade. Seems summer started off yesterday with a bang. The early part of May has been comfortable with all the rain we've had. But now the solar furnace is working as usual so getting out early is a must.
Rode to the north end and back for a total of 23 miles.

Old 06-01-18, 02:21 PM
RonH
Life is good

The tropical storm is long gone and summer is in full swing so left the house just after 7AM. Rode the Lynskey from home and along the county trail to the Withlacoochee Trail. Rode north to the Citrus Springs trailhead and back home for a total of 28 miles.

Old 06-03-18, 07:20 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Been a bad year for riding in between personal responsibilities, injuries, and excuses. Lately been having a really bad bout of back trouble, hardly been riding at all. I went to my doctor to talk about a SIJ disfunction issue and he told me (after manipulating it back in) that I need to ride more. I can strengthen my hip flexors and back to a point where it will be more tolerant of my leg length discrepancy.

In light of this 'order', and the shape I have allowed myself to get in, I ordered a trainer. Got a Cycle Ops Fluid 2, got it set up and tried it tonight. I plan to give it a first real ride tomorrow. Hopefully, within a few weeks I will be back to some respectable numbers, some manner of form, and a pain free lower back.
Old 06-04-18, 02:42 PM
RonH
Life is good

^^^

Glad to hear you found out what the problem is and how to fix it.

Took the Litespeed out today and rode from home to Citrus Springs. Since summer is finally here and showing no mercy I left home at 7:10AM. During the summer months us Florida folks have to get out by 7AM (if not sooner ) so we don't roast in the sauna. Rode 28 miles.

Old 06-04-18, 04:21 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

I am as well Ron, thanks.

I got on the trainer this afternoon. First time on the bike mounted in it in eight months. I did a slow and low 30 mins, kept the heartrate down, and a slower cadence than normal by a good ways. All went well and I have noted that since getting off the bike I haven't felt my back hurt at all. Mind that there was no road noise to interfere.
Will be trying again tomorrow.
Old 06-05-18, 12:59 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

'nuther 30 mins on the trainer today. IDK if this "really" counts, but I am going to.
Old 06-07-18, 02:09 PM
RonH
Life is good

^^^

Of course it counts. You were on the bike.

The rain held off so left the house a little later than usual but it wasn't hot. Rode to the Withlacoochee Trail and headed north to the Citrus Springs trailhead. Stopped and had a bar and water. While I was stopped a nice lady came up to me and asked for help. She bought a Liv bike (Giant??) about a month ago. Anyway she wanted to know how to clean makeup (from here hands) off the saddle. I gave her my 2 cents and she wanted to know about cleaning the bike so I told her about hosing off dirt and sand from the wheels and frame and the drive train and Simple Green. Gave her a quick demo of how to clean the chain and told her an old toothbrush would be helpful. Told her to go to the shop where she bought the bike (Blue Run Bicycles) and talk to Grant (the owner) about lubing the chain and picking up some chain lube. She was very appreciative.
Rode a total of 28 miles.

Old 06-09-18, 12:38 PM
RonH
Life is good

Took the Litespeed out today. Rode from home to the Withlacoochee Trail and then north to Country Club Rd. Turned around because the dark cloud off to the west was inching closer. After I got back to Hernando and headed home on the county trail I realized I was gonna get drenched. Started raining before I'd gone a mile and rained all the way home. For some reason the rain quit as I pulled the bike into the garage. So the Litespeed now needs a good cleaning and lube.
Rode a total of 31.3 miles.

Old 06-11-18, 09:51 AM
RonH
Life is good

Took the Lynskey out today. No rain in the forecast. Rode from home on the county trail heading to the Withlacoochee Trail. I guess early Monday morning isn't a good time to ride. Seemed everyone wanted to turn so I had to stop at almost every crossing even though I had a green light. At one crossing I was part way across when a car decided to turn right and was heading toward me. Did my safe cycling maneuver and did a quick right turn with him so it wasn't even close. I guess everyone is late for work on Mondays so its every man for himself. Got to the Withlacoochee Trail and rode north to the cell tower and turned around and headed home. Rode a total of 32 miles.

Old 06-14-18, 12:38 PM
RonH
Life is good

I was tweaking and adjusting a few things on the Lynskey a few weeks ago and realized the bars are 42 cm. I ordered 44 cm bars. Contacted Lynskey and they sent replacement bars. Put them on Tuesday afternoon. Did my first ride with the new bars today. Those 2 cm make a big difference. Rode from home to the Withlacoochee Trail and headed south. Caught up with Bruce @DowneasTTer and his wife north of Inverness. We rode together to Fort Cooper where they left and headed into the park. I continued for another 1/2 mile and then turned around. Stopped at Inverness Bicycle and Fitness and talked with Sherry (the owner). Then headed home. Rode a total of 31.7 miles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.