Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Swift folders

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Swift folders

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-11, 11:29 AM
chucky
It's got electrolytes!

Bikes: Self-designed carbon fiber highracer, BikesDirect Kilo WT5, Pacific Cycles Carryme, Dahon Boardwalk with custom Sturmey Archer wheelset

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is the design of the current swift riser essentially the same as the airnimal J-stem riser? That is, bottom internal diameter 1-1/8" w/ pinch clamp and top external diameter 1-1/8"?

IIRC there was a change in the design of this part at some point.

https://www.xootr.com/swift-riser.html

https://calhouncycle.com/productcart/...&idproduct=978
Old 02-05-11, 03:49 PM
buelito
train safe

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://cgi.ebay.com/Sports-Bike-Bicy...item2a0a22cd1a

this is a bottle carrier currenlty on ebay that mounts on the handlebar, which might be a solution for some of you--reading all the older posts, water bottle cages seem to be an issue with this bike...
train safe-
Old 02-05-11, 08:56 PM
nish2575

Bikes: swift folder(alfine 8, marathon plus, crossrack, klickfix freepack)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just randomly inserting my latest version of wishlist:

-even faster tires, kojaks next
-swap out longer klickfix mount for klickfix caddy
-try a bunch of fits for saddle angle, fore/aft and for handlebar height, handlebar style (moustache, some other versions of upright)
-swap out for titanium seat post
-swap alfine 8 for a 3 speed hub (probably 40", ~53", ~71"). probably sram i-motion 3 speed. i'll miss my higher gears, but i'll be fine without them. - my only hesitation here is that if a 3 speed hub is having issues with 1 gear, it makes the bike unusable.
-find mount locations and mounts for tail lights
-some way to mount front bag against frame/headtube
-some simple mechanism where the folded pedal could connect with the handlebar, to keep them locked together when folded
-a very lightweight 2 foot kickstand, for holding by steady when attaching panniers/bags
-wheels locked together quickly when folded, so front wheel didn't sway (i use velcro strap now)
-belt drive
-coaster brakes in rear
-a permanently attached fender that didn't get worked loose by seatpost
-igh with the easiest detachment mechanism for fast flat tire changes (i believe i-motions)
-18 inch wheels, save a little more space..

Last edited by nish2575; 02-06-11 at 10:09 PM.
Old 02-05-11, 09:09 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
18" wheels... not such a great idea, the pedals will be too close to the ground, unless you go to very short cranks.
Old 02-06-11, 09:12 AM
zepi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
a nice black swift currently on ebay:
https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:B:SS:AT:1123
(I'm not advertising. Not related to the auction at all)
Old 02-06-11, 12:41 PM
chucky
It's got electrolytes!

Bikes: Self-designed carbon fiber highracer, BikesDirect Kilo WT5, Pacific Cycles Carryme, Dahon Boardwalk with custom Sturmey Archer wheelset

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry for repeating myself, but I'm confused:

Does the Swift riser clamp on a 1" or 1-1/8" OD steerer?
Old 02-06-11, 03:04 PM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
The riser ID is 1", OD is 1-1/8".
Old 02-06-11, 03:25 PM
nish2575

Bikes: swift folder(alfine 8, marathon plus, crossrack, klickfix freepack)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks jur! will keep taht in mind.
Old 02-06-11, 08:08 PM
chucky
It's got electrolytes!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jur
The riser ID is 1", OD is 1-1/8".
Then how does it clamp to the 1-1/8" fork steerer?
Old 02-06-11, 10:22 PM
mtalinm

Bikes: 2009 Trek Soho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A Swift in Winter(s)

despite owning an in-theory-perfect-for-winter commuter with IGH, drum brakes, and a belt drive, I decided to make my folder my everyday commuter (26 miles round trip in Boston). Two main reasons: if the weather really sucks I can take it on the train home, and it's much more fun to ride than the bulky bike. Here's the setup:

full profile. note the AirZound canister attached to the front of the riser (don't need to grab it ever) and water bottle on rear side of riser. crossrack and bag, with pump attached to seat post (also a handy reminder of how far to insert seat post)

Marathon Winters (200 studs, I think), front inflated to 55 and rear to max of 70 (i'm heavy). motion-activated value-cover lights, neon reflector, u-lock mounted to fork

"campus" pedals, flat on one side with SPD clips on the other. great for a quick start at an intersection, or just for riding w/o clips through traffic

kickstand, MagicShine battery resting above rear brake, motion-activated valve cover lights, and MagicShine taillight

(L to R) bar ends, bell, Magicshine headlight, GPS, slightly-hidden AirZound, water bottle

PlanetBike blinky and MagicShine taillight (mouted on rear fender - not my favorite spot, but it works and there's nowhere else to attach it easily...thinking of just getting a SuperFlash instead)

reflective goo on the Marathon Winters and the Xootr bag

Boston Cyclists Union sticker

fits nicely once you get to the office, no dripping on the carpet
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
001.jpg (97.8 KB, 210 views)
010.jpg (89.1 KB, 180 views)
005.jpg (90.1 KB, 193 views)
011.jpg (91.5 KB, 172 views)
003.jpg (92.7 KB, 232 views)
009.jpg (89.4 KB, 184 views)
012.jpg (94.8 KB, 171 views)
004.jpg (92.2 KB, 196 views)
007.jpg (91.5 KB, 105 views)
002.jpg (98.8 KB, 176 views)

Last edited by mtalinm; 02-09-11 at 09:03 AM.
Old 02-06-11, 10:45 PM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by chucky
Then how does it clamp to the 1-1/8" fork steerer?
The actual threaded steerer that sticks up above the headset is 1" OD, matching the 1" ID of the riser. Remember it's a threaded setup.

(I am doing this all from memory; I replaced the stock stainless riser with a piece of aluminium tubing on which I clamp the stem. So because the stem is a direct clamp, the riser must be 1-1/8 OD. Therefore the ID must be 1" or a smidgen larger. I know the threaded headset is the larger variety, which comes in 1" and 7/8" sizes.)
Old 02-07-11, 12:08 AM
chucky
It's got electrolytes!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jur
The actual threaded steerer that sticks up above the headset is 1" OD, matching the 1" ID of the riser. Remember it's a threaded setup.

(I am doing this all from memory; I replaced the stock stainless riser with a piece of aluminium tubing on which I clamp the stem. So because the stem is a direct clamp, the riser must be 1-1/8 OD. Therefore the ID must be 1" or a smidgen larger. I know the threaded headset is the larger variety, which comes in 1" and 7/8" sizes.)
Does the fork steerer taper or step from 1-1/8" at the crown to 1" above the headset?

That's what I'm understanding...but you confused me when you said "I know the threaded headset is the larger variety, which comes in 1" and 7/8" sizes" because I thought the headset was clearly 1-1/8 and that some people are even using forks with normal 1-1/8" untapered steerers.
Old 02-07-11, 12:41 AM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I better check properly tonight when I get home... with the 2 sizes of 7/8 and 1" I meant the quill size, so I am indeed thoroughly confusing not only you but myself also.

The riser with its 1-1/8" diameter sits on top of the threaded nut. So the steerer bit that sticks up is 1" in diameter. I can't say right now if it steps or not, I thought not, but I will check for you.
Old 02-14-11, 04:58 PM
Sir Bikesalot

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Xootr Swift

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Swift sighting in Sunnyvale, CA

Was driving by the Sunnyvale Caltrain station yesterday when I noticed out of the corner of my eye a white Swift chained to a signpost across the street. I think it had black bullborn bars, but I couldn't go back for a closer inspection. One of ours?
Old 02-16-11, 12:16 PM
chucky
It's got electrolytes!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jur
The riser with its 1-1/8" diameter sits on top of the threaded nut. So the steerer bit that sticks up is 1" in diameter. I can't say right now if it steps or not, I thought not, but I will check for you.
It has to because it's the only possible way for a 1" ID riser to fit a 1-1/8" fork/headset. The Xootr website also lists the following spec "CroMoly straight taper fork".

I guess that explains why everyone who has done a fork swap is using a Airnimal Joey riser or similar because the Xootr riser won't fit on an untapered 1-1/8" fork.
Old 02-18-11, 04:34 AM
JimBeans83

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@mtalinm and off thread topic : what is that rear pannier holder setup you got? Looks interesting.
Old 02-18-11, 06:26 AM
mtalinm

Bikes: 2009 Trek Soho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jimbeans, that is the xootr cross rack designed by Karl Ulrich. It is $43.99 on their website. There is a bag that goes with it, but you can hang any pannier on it as well.

Btw has anyone mounted a cross rack on their front riser? Brian from xootr tells me it can be done, and I'm so heavy that i think it might be a good idea...
Old 02-18-11, 08:34 AM
Joako

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtalinm

Btw has anyone mounted a cross rack on their front riser? Brian from xootr tells me it can be done, and I'm so heavy that i think it might be a good idea...
Doable as the seatpost diameter is greater than the stem riser diameter. However, you steering will be affected by the extra weight on the front of the bike.
Old 02-24-11, 03:21 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My new silver Swift arrived from Germany last week neatly packaged, although box was a bit battered but luckily no damage to the bike.

Assembly involved me swapping around the left/right brake cables on the brake levers to set them up for the 'correct' left-back/right-front configuration, rather than the contintental setup. Also, swapped the stock saddle for a Ti narrow one, fitted Ergon GC2 grips, and fitted SPD pedals.

Then took it for the first ride at the weekend around one of my regular 26mile loops around the local local Essex lanes. First impression is that it really does ride well, similar to my 700c bikes. The riding position is a bit cramped, even for me at 5'6" I still found the position a bit too sit-up-and-beg for me. I think I need to fit a longer stem, perhaps 100mm rather than the stock 60mm fitted one.

There was one very annoying 'feature' of the bike, and that was a constant rattle of cables vibrating against the hollow alu frame. I like my bikes to be completely silent. Any ideas how I can cure this rattle?

I'm also a bit confused about the sizing for a new stem. Previous posts refer to 1" and 1-1/8" riser sizing - and tapering. Which size stem will I need to get?

Old 02-24-11, 06:52 AM
bendembroski
My legs hurt

Bikes: Vaya, Brompton, '73 Schwinn Super Sport, Cresswell Fold-it, '81 Trek 610

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
1-1/8
Old 02-24-11, 10:58 PM
werewolf

Bikes: Swift folder, single speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"There was one very annoying 'feature' of the bike, and that was a constant rattle of cables vibrating against the hollow alu frame. I like my bikes to be completely silent. Any ideas how I can cure this rattle?"

Tape.
Old 02-25-11, 04:09 AM
bendembroski
My legs hurt

Bikes: Vaya, Brompton, '73 Schwinn Super Sport, Cresswell Fold-it, '81 Trek 610

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
2020: Sorry for all the short one line answers.

Welcome to the exclusive club of the UK Swift owners association!
Old 02-25-11, 08:02 AM
chucky
It's got electrolytes!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2020
I'm also a bit confused about the sizing for a new stem. Previous posts refer to 1" and 1-1/8" riser sizing - and tapering. Which size stem will I need to get?
Don't let it confuse you. The purpose of all this tapering riser business is so at the end of the day you can use a normal 1-1/8" stem.
Old 02-25-11, 02:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quick one line answers were all I needed. Thanks for your help.
Old 02-26-11, 09:50 AM
noteon 
Drops small screws

Bikes: Soma Grand Randonneur, modified Xootr Swift, Trek 1000SL with broken brifter from running it into a hotel porte-cochère

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Winter Swift

Hi, all!

RIDE: Short fiction about bicycles • RUSA #5538

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.