Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I hate wind

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

I hate wind

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-18, 08:24 AM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
So. Have you ever had a descent that went right smack into a headwind? And you have to FIGHT just to get to the bottom of said hill? Now that's demoralizing.
Old 09-21-18, 09:06 AM
hsuehhwa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Because. Speed is a basic and visceral. Putting in a lot of effort and seeing little payback, in terms of this metric, can and will be frustrating for a lot of people. If you're not one of them, that's cool, but I don't see why it would be terribly difficult to understand this POV.
I agree with you.

The bottom line is you can't stop headwind, you can't stop headwind reducing your speed (unlike climbing you'll see elevations). The "NEXT BEST THING" would be have a power meter that's giving you a relatively independent evaluation of your effort.
Old 09-21-18, 09:13 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Except that it's not. You're not gaining elevation and stacking up the potential energy for a presumed descent. You're working against force that all too frequently doesn't repay your efforts later in the ride.
It's just like a long climb, except there is no descent on the end. When I mean a long climb, I'm talking about a 2-3 hour climb. Nothing but climb. No different than a 2-3 hour ride into the wind. On both you are counting your gains by 1/4 miles, telephone poles, etc. You are trying to make it to a landmark out in front of you. The main difference for me is that I can go a little faster in the wind. The climb burns my legs faster also. As for riding in the wind, I have plenty of experience with it. I grew up where this event is:

https://www.hh100.org/

This ride offers an option to do the 13-14 mile mountain climb only. You could test it out for yourself. Come down and do it with your Addiction buddy Dan. Visit the relatives and make a vacation out of it. It is considered by many as one of the better riding events in the country.

The 9th Annual Storming of Thunder Ridge - May 20, 2018 - Storming of Thunder Ridge Storming of Thunder Ridge - www.stormingofthunderridge.org

I had this pre-swim for a tri that was in the James River a few years ago, We were supposed to go in at the exit point, swim upstream to the starting point(600 yards) then swim/float back to the exit point. There had be a lot of rain so the river was up with a strong current. The current was so strong, that only a couple of swimmers made it to the turn around point. Most, including me only made it about a hundred yards. They blew a whistle after 40 minutes and made everyone float back to the start. I would swim for 5 minutes and still be next to the same landmarks along the shore! It made for an easy swim at the event. you could just float and still get to the exit point fairly quickly.
Old 09-21-18, 09:24 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Motor pacing .. you ride behind the guy on a motorbike , so you don't have to break the wind yourself.
Old 09-21-18, 09:25 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
It's just like a long climb, except there is no descent on the end.
It is not at all just like it. I can never recall a spectacular view that rewarded a 3 hour long pedal into a headwind. I get one with all of my long climbs. I can never recall looking back a trees waving in a stiff breeze and thinking "I conquered that." I don't know of any websites that rate headwind rides. There are many climbing related websites. I can't think of any race that has a King of the Breeze category. As I peruse these forums, I often see threads devoted to the thrill of conquering a climb. Few celebrate bucking headwinds. People plan trips around conquering climbs. I don't know that I have ever heard of a cyclist who planned a ride to coincide with strong headwinds. Wind sucks. Mountains are cool. That is all.
Old 09-21-18, 09:41 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by hsuehhwa
I agree with you.

The bottom line is you can't stop headwind, you can't stop headwind reducing your speed (unlike climbing you'll see elevations). The "NEXT BEST THING" would be have a power meter that's giving you a relatively independent evaluation of your effort.
I leave my Garmin on the power screen, and wind really isn't very demoralizing at all.
Old 09-21-18, 10:16 AM
EventServices
Announcer

Bikes: More than I need, really.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by voodoo76
riding into a stiff wind is definitely a mental exercise. On a positive note you are going slower so your ride is longer
that's the problem!
Old 09-21-18, 10:22 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Yah, I can't equate riding in to wind to a climb. Sorry. A climb has a definitive start and end. Plus there is the reward of doing the descent. A headwind is just a demoralizing, punishing force that you never know when (or if) it will even end. I'll take a hill climb ANY day a headwind.

That said, I do agree with those of who said that looking at your power output is one way to at least make the best of a bad situation.
Old 09-21-18, 10:29 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
70-85 km/h head wind gusts on the way home today. Dreading it already.
Old 09-21-18, 10:32 AM
hsuehhwa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It probably has something to do with Strava. Strava has dramatically changed recreational road cycling. You can quantify and therefore brag about elevations and average speed, but NOT a big headwind.

If you're in a long (1-2 mi), steep (>9%), and relatively straight descent, headwind is not necessarily a bad thing. It helps you slow down.
Old 09-21-18, 02:14 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I apologize people, I had to go out and work instead of goofing off on a Friday afternoon. NASCAR is in town this weekend, Hard to get around with all of the traffic.

As for me comparing a climb to a ride into headwind, I was commenting only on the physical aspect of it. The overall experience, that varies from person to person. I don't care for climbing, but riding into a strong headwind doesn't bother me that much. That being said, I have done both of the rides I linked above. If I had to recommend one or the other based on nothing more than the route and riding conditions, I would choose the climbing route for exactly the reasons people have stated above. At least the climbing route has some pretty scenery/views and descending.
Old 09-21-18, 02:21 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I think my signature says it all

Getting aero definitely helps with headwinds, though I still don't like them. The sideways wind gusts on the ridgetops really get me, though - I feel like I'm going to get blown straight off the road!
Old 09-21-18, 02:37 PM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 46 Posts
Well also if a wagon wheel broke, they's just stop and then freeze to death during the inevitable hard winter. They'd be found (dead) years later, then wind up becoming famous for their exploits.

Originally Posted by Colnago Mixte
Take a pain pill to ease the effort. I have heard it said that the pioneers who came to the American west during the 1840's, who traveled for weeks in primitive bumpy wagons thousands of miles over ungraded roads, often used opium-based patent medicines to help them get through the long journey. Probably helped, but I don't think they had stool softeners back them, and their diet was terrible, so there were probably some major drawbacks to that approach.
Old 09-21-18, 02:40 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Wind is great...

As long as it is behind oneself.

I had a pretty good 150 mile or so ride this early spring. A little light sleet, the weather would have bitten into me if it had been blowing into my face (as it often does on my northbound rides), but instead it was like riding in a bubble. Just PERFECT. The occasional corner and crosswinds were rough, but survivable.
Old 09-21-18, 02:43 PM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert A
Well also if a wagon wheel broke, they's just stop and then freeze to death during the inevitable hard winter. They'd be found (dead) years later, then wind up becoming famous for their exploits.

And?
Old 09-21-18, 03:20 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
It probably has something to do with Strava. Strava has dramatically changed recreational road cycling. You can quantify and therefore brag about elevations and average speed, but NOT a big headwind.

If you're in a long (1-2 mi), steep (>9%), and relatively straight descent, headwind is not necessarily a bad thing. It helps you slow down.
You forget about the situations where you can brag about holding 30mph on a flat segment. No need to mention the 25mph tailwind
Old 09-21-18, 06:23 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
70-85 km/h head wind gusts on the way home today. Dreading it already.
Had some very strong wind too but tail winds Did some pretty good time on Strava. Got home a few minutes before major rain/wind storm. F2 tornado about 10 kilometers from my place, lots of power outage.
Old 09-21-18, 07:15 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
Yeah, the wind wasn't as bad as the numbers indicate. Still strong, and almost blown off a couple of times with sudden gusts, but made it back in one piece before the rain hit as well.

Here's to timely departures.
Old 09-21-18, 11:26 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
I agree with you.

I don’t even have speed as a metric on my head unit anymore. I feel much less trashed focusing on keeping the output steady than trying maintain the same average speed.
Old 09-22-18, 12:17 PM
lyrictenor1

Bikes: 2016 Fuji SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
One thing that helps me is having a page on my bike computer that doesn't display speed, but it has power, cadence, heart rate, etc. That way I can set my pacing based on power or heart rate, and not get demoralized by seeing the low speeds.
Old 09-23-18, 09:18 AM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by EventServices
that's the problem!
Not at all. I head out on an hour & 30 route and end up with an hour & 40 ride, bonus!!
Old 09-30-18, 10:44 AM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by lyrictenor1
One thing that helps me is having a page on my bike computer that doesn't display speed, but it has power, cadence, heart rate, etc. That way I can set my pacing based on power or heart rate, and not get demoralized by seeing the low speeds.
True... I think avg. mph pretty much captures all of these elements. On a Cateye I choose RPM as the main display so I don't get actual mph but I don't miss ithat. I had a ~9 mph headwind off left shoulder yesterday as is usual on the return leg of the ride but I didn't mind it at all as I was on a record average mph pace, which was a motivating-- more so than flipping through other available stats like maximum mph.
Old 09-30-18, 11:42 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Wind means next to nothing to me (as long as I don't have an ETA to contend with like on a commute to work, but if there's headwinds I just start the commute earlier). I ride with a power meter, so if my training plan says today is my day to put out 230 watts on extended pulls, that's what I do. A headwind (or uphill) just means I'm going slower, and a tailwind (or downhill) means I'm going faster, but either way I'm putting out 230 watts. Even without a power meter, this can easily be done in the same manner if you effectively know how to ride-by-feel/RPE.
Old 09-30-18, 01:13 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
If you want to avoid the winds ride at the crack of dawn, before they develop. In any event, the predominant wind is only going to come from one direction at a time. If you feel anything different then its like the eddies and current around buildings and such. I suspect you may have a lot of different topography where you live. That could explain the multiple changes in wind direction you seem to experience.

Here in LA we get the prevailing west winds that blow from the southwest. Riding towards the cost they're not that bad, but riding eastward it feels like I'm jet propelled. Just the boost that's greatly appreciated on your return trip.
Old 09-30-18, 02:09 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
A few years ago I decided to make peace with the wind. I offered up my first born, and the wind offered up matching tailwinds to the headwinds. The deal was made, my son is still PO'ed at me.

And seriously, I decided that I was just going to ride as hard as I could sustain and not look at MPH. When I got a power meter this year it made it that much easier since now I just ride for power, not speed. It is fun to ride at 30mph, but if you have a tailwind or are going downhill you aren't getting a workout doing it. It doesn't matter if I'm putting out 200 watts and only going 10mph vs. 200 watts at 20, unless you have a time crunch.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.