Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do clip pedals make riding harder or easier?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Do clip pedals make riding harder or easier?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-23, 12:01 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
You are correct.
As speed increases, there becomes a point where your method is no longer a realistic option. If you don’t ride that fast, no problem. If you do, it’s valuable to be confident with another technique.
Old 05-20-23, 07:46 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,872 Times in 3,016 Posts
Originally Posted by margoC
I could have sworn I pulled up on a regular basis. Not only did I feel it(or at least I thought I did) I had abs! I miss abs. The last crash I had, I only scraped my obliques because the protruded the most.

This was a long time ago. Now I have flabs. Kind of ab shaped but mushy.

Oh well, so goes life.
I’m sure you pulled up, but I don’t believe it added any significant power to your stroke. That’s what studies of both pro and amateur cyclists have repeatedly shown.

The pros do better at unweighting their legs on the upstroke, but all the power still comes from their downstroke. Amateurs have more tendency to leave some weight on their feet during their upstroke, which is a negative torque.

In other words the only “pulling” you are doing is in lifting the weight of your own leg to some degree. It might subjectively feel like you are pulling more, but data doesn’t lie.

Your pedal stroke looks like this.

https://www.cyclinganalytics.com/blog/2014/04/torque-effectiveness-and-pedal-smoothness

Last edited by PeteHski; 05-20-23 at 07:49 AM.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-20-23, 08:08 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 2,957 Times in 1,680 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
As speed increases, there becomes a point where your method is no longer a realistic option. If you don’t ride that fast, no problem. If you do, it’s valuable to be confident with another technique.
In any event, a rider who can lift the rear wheel using platform pedals might as well be bunny-hopping. Anyone can lift the handlebars to raise the front wheel. The tricky part is raising the rear wheel. The difference between bunny-hopping one wheel at a time and bunny-hopping such that both wheels are off the ground is trivial.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 05-20-23, 09:07 AM
margoC

Bikes: Caloi MTB, Raleigh heritage international

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I’m sure you pulled up, but I don’t believe it added any significant power to your stroke. That’s what studies of both pro and amateur cyclists have repeatedly shown.

The pros do better at unweighting their legs on the upstroke, but all the power still comes from their downstroke. Amateurs have more tendency to leave some weight on their feet during their upstroke, which is a negative torque.

In other words the only “pulling” you are doing is in lifting the weight of your own leg to some degree. It might subjectively feel like you are pulling more, but data doesn’t lie.

Your pedal stroke looks like this.

https://www.cyclinganalytics.com/blo...dal-smoothness

Well that's good news. For me I guess. Explains my increase (slight but perceptible) in core strength in spite of not being attached to pedals. I only ride 1-2 hours at most these days, a pittance compared to the past (but a lot compared to my lowest points). I used to think I was getting zero benefit from it, as in physical conditioning. Then went on a beach vacation with my mountain friends and they rented beach bikes.even though I was of normal weight and proportions, even looked somewhat in shape from hiking and yard work, I struggled to ride a beach bike 3 miles. The leg with my store bought knee didn't want to turn. And other things I don't remember.

When I got home I dusted off our non road bikes and gave it another shot. I did that on and off for the past couple years but now that my retirement prowess has improved I'm doing it regularly. Almost daily. I do it with a different purpose than I did in the past. But I notice more strength throughout a greater range in my lower body, good when you have metal body parts.

Equality important is an overall better outlook. I never gave those things much thought when I was younger. I suppose it's worth mentioning that I pedal the entire time, as opposed to just coasting around a path. I can only do it so long before my knees protest and I'm not willing to risk more operations. I'm improving each week now that my butt seems to be fully compliant, I know I will reach a limit, I don't know what it will be but it's already more than I was expecting.
Likes For margoC:
Old 05-20-23, 10:41 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
In any event, a rider who can lift the rear wheel using platform pedals might as well be bunny-hopping. Anyone can lift the handlebars to raise the front wheel. The tricky part is raising the rear wheel. The difference between bunny-hopping one wheel at a time and bunny-hopping such that both wheels are off the ground is trivial.
Sorry, but lifting one wheel is not bunny hopping. Bunny hopping is lifting both wheels. And yes, you can do that with platform pedals. BMX riders do it all the time, as do trials bike riders. Bars come into play, as well as other geometry, but you can do it with platform pedals.
Likes For phughes:
Old 05-20-23, 10:54 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 2,957 Times in 1,680 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
Sorry, but lifting one wheel is not bunny hopping. Bunny hopping is lifting both wheels. And yes, you can do that with platform pedals. BMX riders do it all the time, as do trials bike riders. Bars come into play, as well as other geometry, but you can do it with platform pedals.
OK. The point is, anyone who has the technique to pop the rear wheel off the ground while using platform pedals is fully capable of bunny-hopping (i.e., lifting both wheels off the ground).
Old 05-20-23, 11:00 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
OK. The point is, anyone who has the technique to pop the rear wheel off the ground while using platform pedals is fully capable of bunny-hopping (i.e., lifting both wheels off the ground).
Not necessarily, though anyone can learn to bunny hop. Lifting the rear can be done by simply shifting the weight distribution, putting more weight up front, thereby making it more difficult to lift the front at the same time. So if they can lift only the rear at one time, it doesn't mean they will be able to bunny hop using that technique.
Old 05-25-23, 09:59 AM
7up

Bikes: Aurelia*Bianchi*Cannondale*Colnago*Dahon*Giant*Haro*Lynsky*Monkey Faction*Origin8*Panasonic*Paramont*Peugeot*Ross*Schwinn*SE*Specialized*Trek

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
Since I’m one of those rare individuals who can’t walk and chew bubblegum at the same time……I’ve used clips w/straps due to having my foot slip off the pedal a few times.My shins remember taking a painful strike from those steel teethed serrated edged pedals.The struggle was real! Lol
Likes For 7up:
Old 05-26-23, 09:45 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
20 or so years ago I had the opportunity to ride Powercranks for a few weeks. By opportunity, I mean that I bought them, and after several rides the mechanism on the cranks began slipping so I sent them back for a refund.

For those unfamiliar, they basically have a one way slip mechanism at the spindle. Not a ratchet but same idea. This means that the pedals are only 180 degrees apart by sheer force of will and concentration.

I was comfortable with 4-6 hour rides on regular cranks. I was frequently riding between 300-400 miles a week that summer. With the Powercranks, I was wiped to go much more than 20 miles. They were exhausting. Yep, they definitely worked muscles I don’t usually use. Not sure it translated into anything though.

The point of this story is to illustrate that we definitely are not pulling up on our pedals. If we were, Powercranks wouldn’t have been any extra challenge.

Clipless keeps your feet stable and keeps your pedaling position consistent. They keep you attached during hard sprints or similar situations. They don’t give you power on the upstroke. That’s been settled for years I thought.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 05-26-23, 10:36 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,648 Times in 2,924 Posts
There recently was a thread discussing BOA closure devices and how they seemed to loosen. I only mention it because when starting a climb, in the saddle, is when I notice the BOAs need to be tightened. For me, maybe not you, when I reach the bottom of the pedal stroke on a climb and start the upstroke is when I really notice they need tightening. So I am pulling up just a bit enough to notice it. Could be a bad habit and definitely does not provide me with “mo powa” but the way I climb, there is a slight up pull. On the flats, no issue with loose BOAs unless getting up to sprint.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-26-23, 01:18 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by rosefarts

They don’t give you power on the upstroke. That’s been settled for years I thought.
Nothing has ever been settled on BF! But the science and studies of both pro and amateur cyclists have settled it for me.

When I ride a bike with flat pedals my feet never seem to lift off the pedals during the upstroke, however hard I pedal.

A challenge for the “pedal pullers”: I want to see a video of someone lifting their feet up off the pedals during the upstroke at a typical cadence and power. That should be easy for anyone who actively pulls up on their pedals with any meaningful force.

Last edited by PeteHski; 05-26-23 at 01:23 PM.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-26-23, 10:07 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 227 Posts
Having clipless pedals make the ride much better as your foot is placed in the right position on the pedal to provide more power. It works for me and I like being connected to the bike.
Old 05-27-23, 12:16 AM
Kang MJ

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Believe it or not, it will be much easier and harder than flat pedals, but safe.
Old 05-27-23, 06:11 AM
Jv_247

Bikes: Nishiki Trim Master 1989, Torpado MTB ? 1991 , Peugeot PGN-10 1985

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
According to this video, flat pedals are more efficient:
Old 05-27-23, 08:20 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
The pulling up is a big floppy red herring. The best you can do there is unweight your leg on the upstroke to reduce the negative torque from its own weight on the pedal. Not even pro cyclists generate any significant positive torque on their upstroke.
Pulling up on the pedal stroke is common when sprinting hard or jamming up a hill; I even tore the sole off of a bike shoe doing that.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 05-27-23, 08:47 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Pulling up on the pedal stroke is common when sprinting hard or jamming up a hill; I even tore the sole off of a bike shoe doing that.
Sure there are edge cases, but the vast majority of your power is still coming from the downstroke. Pulling on a very low cadence climb basically means you have run out of suitable gears. I don't believe it's considered to be a good technique. Others may disagree.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-27-23, 09:28 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 447 Posts
20 or so years ago I had the opportunity to ride Powercranks for a few weeks. By opportunity, I mean that I bought them, and after several rides the mechanism on the cranks began slipping so I sent them back for a refund.

For those unfamiliar, they basically have a one way slip mechanism at the spindle. Not a ratchet but same idea. This means that the pedals are only 180 degrees apart by sheer force of will and concentration.

I was comfortable with 4-6 hour rides on regular cranks. I was frequently riding between 300-400 miles a week that summer. With the Powercranks, I was wiped to go much more than 20 miles. They were exhausting. Yep, they definitely worked muscles I don’t usually use. Not sure it translated into anything though.

The point of this story is to illustrate that we definitely are not pulling up on our pedals. If we were, Powercranks wouldn’t have been any extra challenge.

Clipless keeps your feet stable and keeps your pedaling position consistent. They keep you attached during hard sprints or similar situations. They don’t give you power on the upstroke. That’s been settled for years I thought.
If I understand 'powercranks' correctly, then if you couldn't pull up on the pedals when using them, you would be capable of only one pedal stroke on the powercranks (or two if both feet started at the top) and then you would coast helplessly to a stop. The fact that you were able to ride them proves that you can pull up on the pedals. Not sure how it translated to the opposite conclusion...
Old 05-27-23, 09:54 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

I think the internet has made people stupid. At low rpms, I'd estimate that I got a quarter of my torque from pulling up on the pedals, back in the toe-clips and straps days. Too bad nobody measured me back then. Now, it's too late. Studies of spinners and spinning, even if preformed using 'pros', are irrelevant and inconclusive with regard to low-rpm power.

If a successful track sprinter from the 60's or '70s, maybe one who used doubled 'Binda binders', comes on BF and says he never pulled up on the pedals, I will tell him 'you can't **** a ****ter' (my redactions), and buy him a beer.

Last edited by Fredo76; 05-27-23 at 09:57 AM.
Old 05-27-23, 10:01 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

As for the 'flats vs. clipless' debate, pedals, like wheels, are n+2. To avoid having to change pedals before riding, go n+1 on the bicycles, if need be.
Old 05-27-23, 11:23 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Originally Posted by Fredo76
The fact that you were able to ride them proves that you can pull up on the pedals. Not sure how it translated to the opposite conclusion...
No, you’re allowing your own biases change what I actually said, in your head. Nobody said that you can’t pull up, or that you shouldn’t. They all just said that in terms of actual numbers, it’s not as helpful as you think.

Powercranks are super difficult to use. They are (were?) a super fringe torture device. The only thing that made them hard is that they force you pull up.

If pulling up was so easy, there wouldn’t have been much difference when using them.
Old 05-27-23, 11:27 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

At low rpms, I'd estimate that I got a quarter of my torque from pulling up on the pedals, back in the toe-clips and straps days.
Why estimate? Ride one legged on a bike with a power meter, then get back to us.
Old 05-27-23, 02:33 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I think the internet has made people stupid. At low rpms, I'd estimate that I got a quarter of my torque from pulling up on the pedals, back in the toe-clips and straps days. Too bad nobody measured me back then. Now, it's too late. Studies of spinners and spinning, even if preformed using 'pros', are irrelevant and inconclusive with regard to low-rpm power.

If a successful track sprinter from the 60's or '70s, maybe one who used doubled 'Binda binders', comes on BF and says he never pulled up on the pedals, I will tell him 'you can't **** a ****ter' (my redactions), and buy him a beer.
I thought track sprinters are on fixed gears. I think that is a very different use case than what everyone else here is talking about.
Old 05-27-23, 05:15 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Why estimate? Ride one legged on a bike with a power meter, then get back to us.
Yeah, I figured that I probably mis-understood you, sorry.

Can't stand up and pedal, one-legged.

In fact, these days, I'm not too keen on standing up to pedal, with both legs.

Last edited by Fredo76; 05-27-23 at 05:28 PM.
Old 05-27-23, 05:25 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Originally Posted by Kapusta
I thought track sprinters are on fixed gears. I think that is a very different use case than what everyone else here is talking about.
It's also how folks got around Saguaro National Park's loop drive, and many other short, steep hills all all around the world, on a bike with downtube shifters, so that shifting was not needed.

I remember shifting maybe five or six times on that loop, that's all. Not these days, though!
Old 05-27-23, 05:46 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Not that it's exclusively about standing up, either. I rode up the back side of Gates Pass in either a 52/15 or 52/16, sitting down all the way once, on a challenge. Yay, me.

https://www.dangerousroads.org/north...ates-pass.html

You don't do that without pulling up on the pedals, significantly.