Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-24, 01:22 PM
MooneyBloke

Bikes: Two Peter Mooney customs, a 1980 Trek 510 townie, a Marin Stelvio set up for TTs.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 163 Posts
No photo. Did the Old Mission (northern Michigan) lighthouse 62Km loop yesterday. Skinny old me had no trouble spinning the 53x15 out, and you know what that means. Today, my legs are pretty hung over from the return journey.
Likes For MooneyBloke:
Old 04-28-24, 04:08 PM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked 1,076 Times in 409 Posts
Friday I travelled to West Virginia to return my Grand daughter to her father. She has been visiting us for two weeks (and we cycled 87 miles in total). I then drove to Paw Paw, WVA to visit the tunnel on the C&O trail.

West portal

I decided to walk the bike. As dark and dry as a tomb. Neat, but serious washboarding all along thru the dark. I did not want to find out how strong the hand rail was.

East portal, looking east along the boardwalk. I rode my 1995 Trek 850 with drop bars. Frankly, I much prefer the GAP trail but I did see another bit of the C&O this trip.
Old 04-28-24, 04:11 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 3,009 Times in 991 Posts
Houseguests this weekend kept me inside for the morning, then encroaching rain limited me to a neat 25 on the Mercian today. Glad to have gotten out, and first ride in shorts!

Old 04-28-24, 04:15 PM
Prowler 

And then today I was back on the SRT through Chester County. Nothing remarkable but spring was well sprung and even the settling ponds were "a wearing of the green". Lovely ride, even without sunny skies. And it was my first time out on my Världsmästarcykeln since last fall. Great ride!!!!

Yesterday was all about disassembling my Toro Proline commercial mower to get to the Peerless 4spd transmission which has failed. I needed a ride today. Order parts tomorrow. Nice to be able to DIY.
Old 04-28-24, 07:21 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 2,167 Times in 560 Posts
After finishing some house chores I had a couple free hours before needing to drive my daughter to volleyball practice. There was a local street fair down the road (the “Gilman District Street Fair” in Berkeley). I’ve lived in the area about 20 years and think this is just the 2nd or 3rd iteration, so I decided to go check it out. The usual mix of food, jewelry, art, and sundry booths.

I bought myself a belt in support of local craftsmen. (I really needed a new belt.)

Then I spent another hour+ putzing around the bay trail. After riding up Mt Hamilton yesterday, it felt nice to loosen up the legs again.

The bumpy roads knocked off my rear fender mounting bolt. Fortunately, I was prepared for such an eventuality. Zip tie to the rescue!

Along the bay trail is a small peninsula, more like a jetty, called the Albany Bulb with various art installations made of flotsam, jetsam, and other forms of detritus.

Peace out

Last edited by gaucho777; 04-28-24 at 10:01 PM.
Old 04-28-24, 08:56 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 2,397 Times in 897 Posts
Originally Posted by MooneyBloke
No photo. Did the Old Mission (northern Michigan) lighthouse 62Km loop yesterday. Skinny old me had no trouble spinning the 53x15 out, and you know what that means. Today, my legs are pretty hung over from the return journey.
That’s a great loop! Did it in July 1997 on my then new Bianchi Volpe. Pic was taken at the tip of the peninsula (Mission Point). I remember fun rolling hills through miles of cherry orchards.

Likes For thinktubes:
Old 04-28-24, 11:59 PM
MezzoLew

Bikes: Mezzo D9, Nigel Dean Tour Master

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
King William Alexander's birthday today. The weather started out meh, so we decided to stay in. But when the sun appeared in the late afternoon, and we decided to grab a couple of bikes go out for a ride after all.

In Woerdense Verlaat mrs non-fixie had her bike checked. "Harmless", I believe the verdict was:

That mare is just checking the leather bag to see if it a close relative!
Likes For MezzoLew:
Old 04-29-24, 12:21 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr., Libertas mixte

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 965 Times in 463 Posts

John at Saguaro National Park

My friend and I rode around the Cactus Loop Drive. The Big Hill kicked our butts this time...
Old 04-29-24, 03:45 AM
darkmoon
Japan Tourism Bureau

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra Molteni 2005, Colnago Master X-light Mapei 2020

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 216 Posts
Weekend rec ride

Mt. Fuji view point, hmmm...

Cherry blossoms season is almost over.
They were beautiful this year, too.

Another beautiful hedge

Citrus flowers started to bloom.
Citrus pics were taken yesterday.
They all smell nice.

Mikan, mandarin orange

Lemon

Yuzu

A straight street with azalea hedges.

Another good cycling day, except Mt. Fuji.
Old 04-29-24, 07:33 AM
cooperryder

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 412 Posts

I only managed 30 minutes of riding yesterday after quite a bit of rain in the morning.

I'm always struck with how terrific this late 70's hi-ten (lower down the line of models)
Peugeot rides.

Perhaps the 650bx42 Gravel King tires have a lot to do with it
Old 04-29-24, 01:18 PM
MooneyBloke

Bikes: Two Peter Mooney customs, a 1980 Trek 510 townie, a Marin Stelvio set up for TTs.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by thinktubes
That’s a great loop! Did it in July 1997 on my then new Bianchi Volpe. Pic was taken at the tip of the peninsula (Mission Point). I remember fun rolling hills through miles of cherry orchards.
That's one thing we do have in these parts. There are no mountains, and few grades beyond 8%, but we do have some nice roller coaster roads that will build your total climbing over the course of a ride. The lighthouse loop is one of those old standbys, and I've been riding it since the late 70s. It's also the typical suffer session for the local roadies, of whom I was once one. Sadly, some parts are very poorly maintained these days. E.g. Bluff Rd to the north has serious erosion of the subsoil, so it's closed to general traffic though bicycles can cut through. I do wonder if the inland part could be repaved as a bikes-only one-laner. It's clear motor traffic can't use it anymore. Neahtawanta, Swaney, and Smokey Hollow are also in nasty repair, and if you're not riding pretty plush tires, you may have a few fillings rattled loose.

Hope you got to ride in Leelanau county as well. There's a lot of nice rolling terrain and scenery that way too.
Likes For MooneyBloke:
Old 04-29-24, 11:53 PM
bironi
bironi

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 122 Posts
like and jealous

Originally Posted by gaucho777
After finishing some house chores I had a couple free hours before needing to drive my daughter to volleyball practice. There was a local street fair down the road (the “Gilman District Street Fair” in Berkeley). I’ve lived in the area about 20 years and think this is just the 2nd or 3rd iteration, so I decided to go check it out. The usual mix of food, jewelry, art, and sundry booths.

I bought myself a belt in support of local craftsmen. (I really needed a new belt.)

Then I spent another hour+ putzing around the bay trail. After riding up Mt Hamilton yesterday, it felt nice to loosen up the legs again.

The bumpy roads knocked off my rear fender mounting bolt. Fortunately, I was prepared for such an eventuality. Zip tie to the rescue!

Along the bay trail is a small peninsula, more like a jetty, called the Albany Bulb with various art installations made of flotsam, jetsam, and other forms of detritus.

Peace out

Cold, rain and wind here, with nothing close to predictability.
Thanks for the pics, nice bike.
Likes For bironi:
Old 04-30-24, 08:58 AM
Oldairhead 
RUSA #3100

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 182 Posts
Rain in Salem Oregon did not detract from the local metric century ride! Bike is an 81 Raleigh Competition GS on it's first distance ride.

Old 04-30-24, 04:23 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1623 Post(s)
Liked 2,651 Times in 1,247 Posts
Perfect day, lime ridge, Walnut Creek.
Old 04-30-24, 08:04 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 2,397 Times in 897 Posts
Got out for only the second time this April. Did 34 miles up north.

Just past peak bloom here. Eye watering beautiful.

Dropped down into a ravine

This is Illinois?!!!

Nice little stream - spring peepers were peeping

Outlet into the lake - no salmon

Weather was 66, but the breeze off the lake made it feel cooler. Need to ramp up the miles in May.

Old 05-01-24, 03:35 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked 1,812 Times in 643 Posts
After a couple of days of nice weather the roads and trails are finally clear of snow,ice and mud. Washed the Marin MTB and took a short ride to town big difference from just a few days ago when there was a foot+ snow and freezing temps.

Half dozen pics no snow and flowers.
Old 05-01-24, 03:44 PM
cooperryder

I rode to downtown Dallas and back again today totaling 40 miles on a partly cloudy but overall nice spring day.

Lady of Guadalupe Catholic Church

Old Pegasus

Cool fountains

Giant eye.

A business with light house attached.

Dallas Museum of Art.

Dirk Nowitzki statue.

Larger than life longhorns near convention center. They make this 60 cm Bottecchia look small .

JFK Memorial.

Old log cabin downtown.
Old 05-01-24, 04:15 PM
Prowler 

Oh, how boring as I rode the SRT again, but this was the day I'd been waiting for since Thanksgiving. We've been greening up nicely here, grass growing, temps warming, rain getting back to normal but today it all came together. Wonderful blue skies, white puffies here and there, light winds, lots of flowers. And my first ride on the International since December, in shorts. No gloves.

Granted the Chester County section of the SRT follows the river, thus the original canal line, which begat rail line, which begat high power utility tower line and therefore tracks through farmland, villages, light industry and heavy industry, dead and alive. That's life around here but the trail has been there long enough that the wildness has moved back in and it's a very pleasant trip. Ex: nice farmland to gaze at. Lots of history along there as well.

Old 05-01-24, 04:39 PM
Pantah

Bikes: More than I have room for.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 78 Posts
It was a couple of weeks ago at this point but we can pretend like it was today. Rode the Levi's Gran Fondo and it was certainly an interesting ride. Rain the day before and a very light and brief drizzle at the start made for sloppy roads even though the length I did, the Medio (metric century) was all pavement. The longer routes had some formerly-paved-now-gravel sections and those were even worse. Everyone's bike got filthy. I decided last minute to bring my commuter, a 1990 Cannondale ST600, instead of the "race" bike due to its fenders and man am I glad I did. Kept me clean, the bike only moderately dirty and kept the people drafting me from getting sprayed. Actually had a guy find me at the finish and thank me for the fenders as he was behind me for the first 25 miles and I was the only one he could draft without getting a shower.

I was riding, far as I could tell (or at least see), the second oldest bike. Only bike I was that was clearly older was a mid-80's Specialized Allez still sporting the original drivetrain and downtube shifters. There was a few from the 90's and 2000's but most everything was quite new.

The route itself was quite nice. Roads were in generally good shape thanks to several being repaved in the last few years. The views were good if not a bit clouded over. Did get a glimpse of the geysers, which are the hills on the east side of the valley out here and they had got a dusting of snow overnight. Quite stunning and unheard of for the middle of April given they're only 3000 feet up and in the lower part of northern California. The longer routes all went up there any many folks who signed up for the longer routes downgraded last minute because of the snow. Talking to someone at the finish who completed the 80 mile route said that the snow was only on the shoulders but had already melted off the road.

No pictures of the route as I was busy hoofing it the whole time but did snap a few photos before and after of some bikes.

Here's mine as I was getting ready to load up and head home. The picture is deceiving, it was much dirtier in reality and took quite a bit of cleaning when I got home.

Came across this gorgeous Colnago at the finish at the VIP tent.

Here's a custom cyclocross Sycip made by local frame builder Jeremy Sycip (who actually rode the Gran that day, the 120 mile route) with a slick 7400 groupset. It's possible that's the original components, Jeremey has been in business since the 90's. If you look closely, the right shifter is munched pretty bad from an accident. Aside from that, appeared to be in otherwise good order. Definitely a bike somebody has got their money's worth out of and then some. It was clear it is ridden regularly and often.

Chatted up another very nice gentleman just before the start with a ridiculously tall Sycip of his own, about a 66cm. Had it built 20 years ago and said he plans on keeping the groupset somewhat up to date but will never get another frame. It fits him perfectly, has an excellent ride and the craftsmanship is top notch. Makes me want a custom steel frame of my own some day.
Old 05-01-24, 05:34 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked 1,812 Times in 643 Posts
Originally Posted by cooperryder
I rode to downtown Dallas and back again today totaling 40 miles on a partly cloudy but overall nice spring day.

Lady of Guadalupe Catholic Church

Old Pegasus

Cool fountains

Giant eye.

A business with light house attached.

Dallas Museum of Art.

Dirk Nowitzki statue.

Larger than life longhorns near convention center. They make this 60 cm Bottecchia look small .

JFK Memorial.

Old log cabin downtown.
So is the easy E no longer in Enron plaza which has likely renamed by now?
Old 05-01-24, 07:52 PM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 519 Times in 230 Posts
A tiny ride around Ouest Seattle to Lincoln Park. Forgot to take a picture of the troll

Can we pay our condo fees in birdseed?
Old 05-01-24, 08:10 PM
cooperryder

Originally Posted by zukahn1
So is the easy E no longer in Enron plaza which has likely renamed by now?
Oh, if it's an E like this one ...that was down in Houston.
Some of those folks did jail time over that whole Enron debacle.

I just saw an article online while looking for this pic that said someone bought those E signs.

Old 05-02-24, 06:27 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,265 Times in 690 Posts
The weather is supposed to be pretty good this weekend so I am going for a 3 day tour with my father doind the Camino Brabant cycle route. A bit like the Santiago de Compostella but much, much more recent.
It is originally a walking route but there are cycling specific GPX files available for a small donation and you can either get a pin or a patch with a certificate if you finish the entire route.

It's a 304 km (188 miles) route with a mere 320 meters (~1050 ft.) of elevation.

For me it is just going to be spending a couple of fun days with my dad and a short test run to see if everything works as intended mechanically.

Pics from the route after the trip.

Old 05-02-24, 08:20 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1623 Post(s)
Liked 2,651 Times in 1,247 Posts
Lucky to have this park close by. Pt Pinole. Fish were biting today...

Likes For curbtender:
Old 05-03-24, 07:00 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2159 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,217 Posts
31 mile gravel ride on the Cherubim Sportif with MFG and Sally Walnuts. They ride modern gravel bikes but keep me honest and wear me out!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.