Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The Importance Of Cycling Pants

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

The Importance Of Cycling Pants

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-22, 06:45 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
As long as you take out the sponge pad before swimming.
But a sponge is a floatation device... until it's not.
Old 07-09-22, 09:54 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
Can the cycling pants accommodate a golf club for say, a five minute ride, including multiple curb hops?
Don't forget that half bottles of vodka and kitchen knives need carrying too.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 07-10-22, 09:34 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Q: What does a recumbent seat smell like?

A: Depends.
I guess you are the kind of guy that would know. Back when I was young we called them a snarf!!!!

Last edited by rydabent; 07-11-22 at 06:50 PM.
Old 07-10-22, 09:38 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
The important question for recumbent riders is "Did I remember to put on my pants this morning?"
I do have to admit that if you ride a DF, blow big bucks on cycling pants with a dead goat skin in them that you have to grease up, you wont squeak when off the bike and walking. I bet you even have fun washing all that grease off.
Old 07-10-22, 09:49 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3955 Post(s)
Liked 7,303 Times in 2,948 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
... blow big bucks ... cycling pants ... dead goat skin ... grease up ... wont squeak ... washing all that grease off.
We really don't need to hear about your weird fantasies.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-10-22, 09:54 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
Not to be a stickler, but I believe the correct term is ‘cycling trousers’.

For the first time ever I bought a pair with gel inserts and on long rides (50+ miles) my sit bones thanked me. Won’t be going back to sitting on sponges for long hauls. Not that there is anything wrong with the use of sponges in polite company, vodka bottles not withstanding.

Old 07-10-22, 09:57 AM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by rsbob
I thought they were cycling slacks.
Old 07-10-22, 10:16 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 744 Posts
I do have to admit that if you ride a DF, blow big bucks on cycling pants with a dead goat skin in them that you have to grease up, you wont squeak when off the bike and walking. I bet you even have fun washing all that grease off.
I don't wear bike specific shorts while riding. I have no issues, even on long days on tour. What's your point? Do you have one, or are you simply a broken record that plays the same thing over and over again? Usually stuck on the same boring, nonsensical part of the song.
Likes For phughes:
Old 07-10-22, 10:24 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
For the zillionth time, DF riders outnumber bent riders by a factor of thousands. The DF design is perhaps the single most successful mechanical design in human history, adaptable to an incredible number of uses in a broad range of environments. Recumbents are fine at what they do, but they are a relatively expensive, bulky niche product almost exclusively useful only on fairly flat pavement. When you come onto a forum that's overwhelmingly populated by enthusiastic df riders and lecture us about how uncomfortable we are, we know you are full of crap. That might be what's making your seat smell.
I've got no problem with you extolling the virtues of your bent, but if you insist on making stupid ill-informed comparisons to df bikes, expect to be ridiculed.
And, so far I've ridden 135 miles this weekend without any padding in my pants, and I'm just fine. I've got another 35 miles to ride today, no goat skin needed.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-10-22, 11:51 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18422 Post(s)
Liked 15,571 Times in 7,335 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
In the UK, pants are what we in the US call underwear.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-10-22, 11:54 AM
indyfabz

Squeak when walking? 😂 What sort of people are you hanging around with? And only a fool uses a lubricant that is not water soluble.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-10-22, 12:50 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
I thought they were cycling slacks.
Pants/slacks, whatever; I have found the perfect 'cycling pants/slacks' (pic below). Everything the intelligent, practical cyclist could want in the way of features, along with curb appeal.

I shall now switch momentarily into full 'General Cycling' register: 'I don't understand why manufacturers can't make these available. I want them, so they should make them ... at a ridiculously low retail price ... just for me ... etc etc wah wah'. /digression

Likes For badger1:
Old 07-10-22, 01:20 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by badger1
Pants/slacks, whatever; I have found the perfect 'cycling pants/slacks' (pic below). Everything the intelligent, practical cyclist could want in the way of features, along with curb appeal.
Wow! They come with "extra large snack sack" and an "action zone." What else could anybody possibly want?

[/QUOTE]
Old 07-10-22, 01:25 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Wow! They come with "extra large snack sack" and an "action zone." What else could anybody possibly want?
Precisely! I sense a marketing opportunity. With any luck, the patent on the "action zone" might have expired by now.

These are the cycling pants the Rat Pack would have worn if they were, you know, given to riding bicycles.
Old 07-10-22, 01:34 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by badger1
With any luck, the patent on the "action zone" might have expired by now.
Patent or no patent, I think the action zone expired years ago for many on this forum.
Old 07-10-22, 02:27 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8285 Post(s)
Liked 9,055 Times in 4,481 Posts
For the zillionth time, DF riders outnumber bent riders by a factor of thousands. The DF design is perhaps the single most successful mechanical design in human history, adaptable to an incredible number of uses in a broad range of environments. Recumbents are fine at what they do, but they are a relatively expensive, bulky niche product almost exclusively useful only on fairly flat pavement. When you come onto a forum that's overwhelmingly populated by enthusiastic df riders and lecture us about how uncomfortable we are, we know you are full of crap. That might be what's making your seat smell.
I've got no problem with you extolling the virtues of your bent, but if you insist on making stupid ill-informed comparisons to df bikes, expect to be ridiculed.
And, so far I've ridden 135 miles this weekend without any padding in my pants, and I'm just fine. I've got another 35 miles to ride today, no goat skin needed.
Believe it or not, he's better than he used to be. He used to tell us how stupid we were on a regular basis. And, yes, he used the word stupid.

Apparently he hasn't heard about synthetic chamois yet.
Likes For big john:
Old 07-11-22, 08:57 AM
rydabent
Banned

We really don't need to hear about your weird fantasies.
Not mine, people that ride DF bikes.
Old 07-11-22, 08:58 AM
rydabent
Banned

Q: What does a recumbent seat smell like?

A: Depends.
Do old DF riders that use depends have to have padded cycling shorts?
Old 07-11-22, 09:04 AM
rydabent
Banned

But----------------you have to remember the DF bike was invented 130 years ago. Time moves on, and better designs have come into being. With your kind of thinking we would still have coal fired steam engines, and model T cars.

A mountain bike is an improvement over the standard DF road bike for riding off road, and a Bent is an improvement over a DF bike for riding on pavement because of comfort and the view. Time does move on.
Old 07-11-22, 09:05 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts

[/QUOTE]

Some of this, of course. between this and the pants, you'll have to go into the witness protection program!

Old 07-11-22, 09:21 AM
tomato coupe

Your cloud shouting is actually funnier than your attempts at humor.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-11-22, 09:28 AM
tomato coupe

But----------------you have to remember the DF bike was invented 130 years ago. Time moves on, and better designs have come into being. With your kind of thinking we would still have coal fired steam engines, and model T cars.

A mountain bike is an improvement over the standard DF road bike for riding off road, and a Bent is an improvement over a DF bike for riding on pavement because of comfort and the view. Time does move on.
The first patent for a recumbent was applied for 126 years ago, yet recumbents still account for a tiny fraction of bicycle sales. But, I’m sure sales will take off any day now …
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-11-22, 10:46 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Nonsense, a bent is most decidedly not an improvement for riding on pavement for most people who ride on pavement, otherwise you'd actually see a lot more of them in the wild. Again, I easily see thousands of DF bikes on pavement for every bent I see anywhere (and I almost never see a bent anywhere else but on a MUP). Model Ts and coal-fired steam engines did go away when other designs came forward and replaced them. Show us the slightest bit of evidence this is occurring with the DF. Thousands of new models of DF frames are produced every year, and millions sold worldwide. That is completely unlike what has happened with the coal-fired steam engine, the comparison is incredibly stupid on your part. .

The DF is to the bicycle what the flanged steel wheel is to the railroad--there's a few applications of the technology that don't use it, but the vast majority of bicycles use some variation of DF, mountain bikes included. By your way of thinking, the steel wheel should have gone away when the Paris Metro used rubber tires, instead, it's been the standard for 150 years..

DF bikes are portable, convenient, fast, adaptable, extremely comfortable for most riders, and the main form of transportation in significant parts of the world. Bents are something a very small number of people ride.
Old 07-11-22, 10:49 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Dunno, ask them.

Nice try at the "I'm rubber, you're glue", but you are no good at the comebacks.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-11-22, 03:42 PM
indyfabz

The first patent for a recumbent was applied for 126 years ago, yet recumbents still account for a tiny fraction of bicycle sales. But, I’m sure sales will take off any day now …
I’ve never seen evidence that he owns any kind of bike (or the trike he claims to own).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.