Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

OK 50+'rs - What think you? Evaluation needed.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

OK 50+'rs - What think you? Evaluation needed.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-06, 06:08 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Update - emailed the guy and he had already sold it.

But, I would have a hard time explaining to the wife why I needed FOUR bicycles, in addition to her two.

Thanks for all the input!
Old 07-09-06, 11:01 AM
old99
Perpetually lost

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Update - emailed the guy and he had already sold it. But, I would have a hard time explaining to the wife why I needed FOUR bicycles, in addition to her two.
Lesson 1: Don't wait and ask the 50+'rs! Jump when a deal comes along! They don't last.

Lesson 2: When dealing with a wife who needs an explanation for additional bicycles appearing into the garage, do the manly thing; screw up your courage and lie! Tell her that you found it by the side of the road. Abandoned. And it followed you home--and please please please can you keep it?

Lesson 3: After you've used all your good lies (ie: the bikes are fornicating in the garage and you've done everything you could to stop it but this baby is so cute and you're already attached to it; you're just borrowing it from a friend--who just went to jail--for a long time; you just traded 4 other bikes for it--now 3 less in the garage!; etc), once you've used up all your good lies, you just learn to sneak.

Lesson 4: Always speak of your bikes in the past tense. As in, "Yep, that old Cannondale was sure a great bike." Don't mention that the "old Cannondale" is currently attached to the top of the car--where you left it after you bought it yesterday. But she'll think "I don't remember an old Cannondale." Convinced that her memory is going, after a while she'll forget all about your bikes altogether and then you can quit the lying and sneaking.

There may be a few more lessons in all this. Personally I'm trying to figure out why there's a red ladies Raleigh in my living room right now. Leaning against the couch. I wonder if the wife is sneaking bikes now.
Old 07-09-06, 01:53 PM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by old99
Lesson 1: Don't wait and ask the 50+'rs! Jump when a deal comes along! They don't last.

Lesson 2: When dealing with a wife who needs an explanation for additional bicycles appearing into the garage, do the manly thing; screw up your courage and lie! Tell her that you found it by the side of the road. Abandoned. And it followed you home--and please please please can you keep it?

Lesson 3: After you've used all your good lies (ie: the bikes are fornicating in the garage and you've done everything you could to stop it but this baby is so cute and you're already attached to it; you're just borrowing it from a friend--who just went to jail--for a long time; you just traded 4 other bikes for it--now 3 less in the garage!; etc), once you've used up all your good lies, you just learn to sneak.

Lesson 4: Always speak of your bikes in the past tense. As in, "Yep, that old Cannondale was sure a great bike." Don't mention that the "old Cannondale" is currently attached to the top of the car--where you left it after you bought it yesterday. But she'll think "I don't remember an old Cannondale." Convinced that her memory is going, after a while she'll forget all about your bikes altogether and then you can quit the lying and sneaking.

There may be a few more lessons in all this. Personally I'm trying to figure out why there's a red ladies Raleigh in my living room right now. Leaning against the couch. I wonder if the wife is sneaking bikes now.

Lesson 5: Always buy bikes that are the same color. That way, the new one doesn't stand out in any particular way.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 07-09-06, 10:19 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 670 Times in 511 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Is that a WHITE saddle? Ewwww....too Fred-like.
Does a white saddle go with white cycling loafers? I guess so in the summer.

Seriously, Denver, it seems a good deal because of the parts. My wife checked out a Trek 1200 a few years ago, and we thought it was ok. Friend at work has been riding a Trek 1000 for about 10 years, it's held up under her weight quite well. If anything this range of Treks was overbuilt. Can't say if it's comfy!.

Ken