Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Landis drops EPO bomb on modern Pro Cycling. Lance is in the bullseye

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...
View Poll Results: Are Landis' allegations true?
Landis' allegations are likely true
61.94%
Landis' allegations are likely false
23.51%
Don't know, too early to tell
14.55%
Voters: 536. You may not vote on this poll

Landis drops EPO bomb on modern Pro Cycling. Lance is in the bullseye

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-10, 06:28 PM
meanwhile

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Herbie53
Has Lance become too big to fail? (be found guilty)
That depends how you define "fail" - it's not like anyone is going to make him give the fortune he made cheating back...

Very good article:

https://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...271011205.html

Interesting:

https://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/...x-machine.html
Old 05-23-10, 06:46 PM
Shuke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Somebody alluded to this earlier but does anybody else get really sick of how Lance turns any accusation of doping into a campaign about cancer? Oh did I mention how Lance was a Landis supporter when he came back after his suspension?

Cf: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHLwdaFjDYc (this is the video mentioned in the above post)

Quite the 180 from "he's just a guy coming back to do his job, let him do that at least" to "he's a crazy lunatic and should be six feet under".

Last edited by Shuke; 05-23-10 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Read the irish times article
Old 05-23-10, 08:46 PM
Tom Pedale

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Tarmac Expert, 1990 Specialized Allez Epic, Specialized RockCombo (winter), 70's Motobecane Team Champion,

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by meanwhile
This degree of naivety hurts to see. There's nothing "commendable" about using a charity to boost one's own image as Armstrong has done. His charity work has helped deflect criticism and investigation and raised his public profile, making his image much more valuable to his sponsors. Armstrong has made literally millions from associating himself with cancer.
Actually, one reason high-profile athletes and other high-net worth individuals have foundations has to do with reducing exposure to federal & estate taxes. Some foundations do a very good job to benefit the causes they support, while others do not. As far as the Livestrong foundation, I don't know
how well run it is although I've never heard anything but positive comments regarding the job they are doing.
Old 05-23-10, 09:43 PM
Yaniel
SLO-1

Bikes: '09 BMC Road Racer SL01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shuke
Somebody alluded to this earlier but does anybody else get really sick of how Lance turns any accusation of doping into a campaign about cancer? Oh did I mention how Lance was a Landis supporter when he came back after his suspension?

Cf: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHLwdaFjDYc (this is the video mentioned in the above post)

Quite the 180 from "he's just a guy coming back to do his job, let him do that at least" to "he's a crazy lunatic and should be six feet under".
because Landis didn't do anything to change L.A.'s opinion last week right?
Old 05-23-10, 09:58 PM
RockyMtnMerlin

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Pedale
As far as the Livestrong foundation, I don't know
how well run it is although I've never heard anything but positive comments regarding the job they are doing.
FWIW https://www.charitynavigator.org/inde...ary&orgid=6570

Draw your own conclusions.
Old 05-23-10, 10:11 PM
TMB
Permanent Refugee .......

Bikes: Steel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually, one reason high-profile athletes and other high-net worth individuals have foundations has to do with reducing exposure to federal & estate taxes. Some foundations do a very good job to benefit the causes they support, while others do not. As far as the Livestrong foundation, I don't know
You better stay tuned then, because there will be news on the .org/.com lunacy soon.
Old 05-23-10, 10:54 PM
Tom Pedale

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Tarmac Expert, 1990 Specialized Allez Epic, Specialized RockCombo (winter), 70's Motobecane Team Champion,

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RockyMtnMerlin
Overall rating indicates a competent, but not outstanding organization. Expense to revenue ratio has declined in past 2 years (good).
Need to improve overall efficiency. 3 of 4 star overall rating-good as some, better than most.......

Last edited by Tom Pedale; 05-23-10 at 10:55 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-24-10, 02:26 AM
rogwilco
snob

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Wow. I just can't understand how anybody can still defend this jerk. He did and does things like in the above video all the time.
Old 05-24-10, 05:29 AM
WCroadie

Bikes: 2010 Trek Madone 5.5 CAAD9

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by meanwhile
This degree of naivety hurts to see. There's nothing "commendable" about using a charity to boost one's own image as Armstrong has done. His charity work has helped deflect criticism and investigation and raised his public profile, making his image much more valuable to his sponsors. Armstrong has made literally millions from associating himself with cancer.
You're right, there is nothing commendable about raising millions of dollars to help people with/fight cancer

I don't care if he cheated to win, most of them do, but he has done tons to fight cancer, if he makes money off it, so be it, he is still giving/generating a lot more then if there was no Livestrong. To me that is a good thing.
Old 05-24-10, 07:52 AM
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando

Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 383
Lance isn't doping.

He might not be purposefully doping, but as a testicular cancer survivor he is likely taking supplemental testosterone to replace what he is not making on his own.
Old 05-24-10, 08:01 AM
shokhead

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 6.2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just can't figure out how LA is so much smarter then all the others that have got caught doping and he hasn't even when he has been tested more then any one else. Until I see concrete proof then I'll belive it.
Old 05-24-10, 08:23 AM
X-LinkedRider
Flying Under the Radar

Bikes: 10' SuperiorLite SL Club | 06' Giant FCR3 | 2010 GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Overall rating indicates a competent, but not outstanding organization. Expense to revenue ratio has declined in past 2 years (good).
Need to improve overall efficiency. 3 of 4 star overall rating-good as some, better than most.......
I noticed the exact same trends. Increase in Revenue, Decrease in expenses, and at close to 20 cents on the dollar, that is a pretty well run organization.

I am consultant and have been lucky enough to be exposed to all sorts of business, organizations, and charity funds. Knowing that most .orgs end up providing less than 7 cents on the dollar to the overall outcome, seeing a continuously growing close to 20 cents on the dollar is pretty damn good. Doug Flutey only dished out like 1% of the proceeds he made off flutey flakes to the cause. Really it was just a scam to sell cereal in his name and make him some money that he never quite made in the NFL.

Tom you are correct as far as escaping property and estate taxes and such, however I think that is much more true when Celebs just donate money to something, like actors/actresses donating money for what appears to be a good cause just so they don't have to end up like Wesley Snipes. I don't think it is AS true but certainly always a possibility that it is a tax shelter when people spend so much time on it and are involved.
Old 05-24-10, 08:27 AM
X-LinkedRider
Flying Under the Radar

Bikes: 10' SuperiorLite SL Club | 06' Giant FCR3 | 2010 GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sirrus Rider
He might not be purposefully doping, but as a testicular cancer survivor he is likely taking supplemental testosterone to replace what he is not making on his own.
So the dude with Cheetah Prosthetic legs shouldn't be able to run against the fully physical and capable? By those measures, he has to cheat to catch up, how is he winning?
Old 05-24-10, 08:34 AM
rogwilco
snob

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by shokhead
I just can't figure out how LA is so much smarter then all the others that have got caught doping and he hasn't even when he has been tested more then any one else. Until I see concrete proof then I'll belive it.
I don't know if Armstrong is smarter than other riders (although I guess that's possible, professional cyclists aren't generally known for their intelligence and Armstrong clearly has a good sense for business/PR at least), but he may be more careful and because of his success he must have always have access to the newest treatments and best doctors. Also, there are doping techniques that are more or less impossible to detect, especially blood doping and for many years EPO.
Old 05-24-10, 08:38 AM
Shuke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yaniel: I was talking about it with regard to Landis's doping. Lance stated in the video "there's some evidence against him...but there's a lot of evidence in his favor" implying that Lance might believe that he didn't dope. That's the 180 I was talking about.

Rogwilco: I don't see how you can get the idea that I was somehow defending Lance.
Old 05-24-10, 08:38 AM
lotek 

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
This is a very heated, emotional issue for some folks here as evidenced by some
of the responses above.
I think when it comes to the Lance question, the best we can do until concrete evidence
is brought out and that is accepted by UCI, US cycling, WADA et al is speculate.
I'm not going to argue about the back dated tests that were done on the 99 samples,
they weren't accepted as proof and as such are null in my book.
Orion said it best about 3 pages back, for me the jury is still out (regardless
of what I may think).

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 05-24-10, 08:40 AM
rogwilco
snob

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rogwilco: I don't see how you can get the idea that I was somehow defending Lance.
I wasn't referring to you, just commenting on the video you linked to in general. Sorry if I was unclear about that.
Old 05-24-10, 10:53 AM
Dubbayoo

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Floyd says LA taught him, George, Levi and Dave how to dope so if true they're all using the same technques.....but the only one who's ever been caught was Floyd and that was after he switched teams. Seems to me if they're openly talking about doping on the team bus that 6-7 years later there would be enough ex-teammates that others would have brought this up by now. Doesn't add up to me.
Old 05-24-10, 11:19 AM
Cannonshell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some of you people are ridiculous. If Landis was accusing a foreign cyclist, ie, Pantani or Uhlrich, you'd immediately believe him. Because it's Lance he's accusing, you accuse him of being a "wacko". I'm surprise that some of you believe that Landis doped, even though he confessed to it. I can imagine that when Lance finally confesses you guys will refuse to believe him!
Old 05-24-10, 11:42 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 642 Posts
Originally Posted by Dubbayoo
Floyd says LA taught him, George, Levi and Dave how to dope so if true they're all using the same technques.....but the only one who's ever been caught was Floyd and that was after he switched teams. Seems to me if they're openly talking about doping on the team bus that 6-7 years later there would be enough ex-teammates that others would have brought this up by now. Doesn't add up to me.
So you're saying that Tyler Hamilton, Roberto Heras, etc. weren't caught doping, and that Frankie Andrieu never said anything about it?

I stop short of accusing Armstrong, but I would not be surprised if Floyd is telling the truth.
Old 05-24-10, 12:57 PM
shokhead

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 6.2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So you belive without proff LA did? Isn't that saying just what you are about others?? When LA is tested P and the 2nd sample is P then I will belive it. When Floyd says he did I'm just not going by what he said or by what anybody else says about another rider unless the tests says so.
Old 05-24-10, 01:18 PM
superjim
Pain is temporary.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cannonshell
Some of you people are ridiculous. If Landis was accusing a foreign cyclist, ie, Pantani or Uhlrich, you'd immediately believe him. Because it's Lance he's accusing, you accuse him of being a "wacko". I'm surprise that some of you believe that Landis doped, even though he confessed to it. I can imagine that when Lance finally confesses you guys will refuse to believe him!
Armstrong is as foreign to me as Pantani or Ullrich, I don't think Landis is a "wacko" because he has accused Armstrong of doping. I do however think that he has a history of lying on a massive scale.

Would all the people who seem so eager to trust Landis' word be quite so keen if it were just Hincapie, Zabriskie and Leipheimer that he were accusing? Your logic that people are dismissing Landis' word because he is accusing Armstrong could equally be applied in reverse, you (and many others) seem desperate to believe him and turn a blind eye to his ridiculous history of deception simply because it re-affirms your pre-conceptions about Lance Armstrong.

If you must seek out and cling to any and all shreds of gossip and hearsay that allow you to demonise Armstrong and whoever else you dont like then feel free to keep looking, but believe me, this is evidence of nothing other than an embittered man who got chewed up and spit out by the very profession he loved simply because he wanted success too much.

Anyone with any modicum of sense and reality could see that some of the accusations made by Landis are beyond ridiculous- as for the ones that are within the realms of possibility, we'll have to wait for another day to see of those are true or not, but I'm certainly not taking Floyds word for it.

Last edited by superjim; 05-24-10 at 01:23 PM.
Old 05-24-10, 01:23 PM
cyclocommuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good article here: https://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle7133884.ece

This time USADA appears to want to get to the bottom of this. Quoting from page 2 in the article:
Long ago, cycling’s authorities decided it would not wash in public any linen belonging to Armstrong. The United States Anti-Doping Authority has taken a different line and appointed the federal investigator Jeff Novitzky to the case. Landis and Armstrong’s former wife are understood to be co-operating. The choice of Novitzky is significant because if his work in the infamous Balco case proved anything, it was that lying to federal investigators is not a good idea.

If Novitzky concludes that US Postal did run a doping programme, Armstrong and others could face charges. Through Tailwind Sports, the US Postal team was funded by taxpayers’ money. The penalties for misusing such funds are draconian.
Old 05-24-10, 01:24 PM
cyclocommuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good article here: https://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle7133884.ece

Quoting from page 2 in the article:
Long ago, cycling’s authorities decided it would not wash in public any linen belonging to Armstrong. The United States Anti-Doping Authority has taken a different line and appointed the federal investigator Jeff Novitzky to the case. Landis and Armstrong’s former wife are understood to be co-operating. The choice of Novitzky is significant because if his work in the infamous Balco case proved anything, it was that lying to federal investigators is not a good idea. If Novitzky concludes that US Postal did run a doping programme, Armstrong and others could face charges. Through Tailwind Sports, the US Postal team was funded by taxpayers’ money. The penalties for misusing such funds are draconian.
Old 05-24-10, 03:44 PM
$ick3nin.vend3t
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shokhead
Exactly.

I'm just reading speculation, after speculation, after speculation... Well you get the idea.

Hes "Allegedly" to have Doped.

I say again.... "Allegedly" won't & never will cut it for the entire Armstrong contingent out there. The speculation, the opinions, the hate are always gonna be there, I respect that. Unfortunately I respect "Allegedly" a little bit more.

I hope you guys prove me wrong, save a lot of arguing & I will eat my serving of crow pie.

Last edited by $ick3nin.vend3t; 05-24-10 at 03:49 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.