Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is my brain getting addled with old age or is DT awesome for hills?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Is my brain getting addled with old age or is DT awesome for hills?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-18, 07:05 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by SlowSpinner
I can't hear well enough to operate a friction DT. When I was younger I remember having to use my hearing to ensure I had made a good quiet shift. Remember having to do a great deal of maintenance to the shifting system to keep it working properly. Glad to have left friction DT shifting.
Same here. And once I tried Di2, well, being able to make positive shifts even while wearing winter gloves is a huge plus. Not that mechanical Ultegra is bad, but now I'm hooked on Di2. Dammit...
Old 01-19-18, 09:44 AM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
I'm perfectly happy with DT shifters in certain situations (commuting, touring), although its a bit of a stretch to say I prefer them. I'm tall....its a long way down there which is the main disadvantage for me.
I used DT on a Long Haul Trucker on a tour last August and afterword I kept reaching for the down tube shifters on my STI equipped carbon fiber steed.
Old 01-19-18, 11:38 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
This.
<snip>
Gimme brifters. I may keep my Centurion Ironman stock, but my next road bike will have brifters, if only for those fast-ish group rides (hey, I'm old and asthmatic, and 17 mph over a 50 mile ride is fast for me).
Carbon and brifters! Seattle has 3 used bike shops with good selections. Maybe your area does, too. I bought my first 4 road bikes used and all were decent bikes at a good price. You won't believe how good a bike can feel.
Old 01-19-18, 07:14 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree
Same here. And once I tried Di2, well, being able to make positive shifts even while wearing winter gloves is a huge plus. Not that mechanical Ultegra is bad, but now I'm hooked on Di2. Dammit...
I have mine (Ultegra Di2) set up to be able to shift all the way across the cassette with a single touch. With gloves on! It's a prefect shift every time. And the auto-trim is real nice, too.
Old 01-19-18, 10:28 PM
deepakvrao

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Bar end FTW.

You don't even need to take your hands far from the bar.
Old 01-22-18, 10:36 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
...Despite it all, when I got my only other road bike, ever, last summer -- an '89 Centurion Ironman with 14 glorious speeds and a bike weighing only in the low 20 lbs and with indexed shifting -- I figured I was ready to kill on the moderately fast-ish local B group rides, despite my grey hair and creaky knees.

Nope. Not even close.

Oh, I did okay on the flats and modest continuous 1%-3% grades. For about 10 miles.

But as soon as we hit the rollers at the 10-20 mile stretch I got dropped. Every time. By folks pretty close to my age (60), not just younger, stronger riders.

I was losing momentum with the downtube shifters. I watched the others and they could seamlessly, effortlessly shift up and down, climbing out of the saddle for a few strokes to maintain momentum, then shifting *while* standing or as they sat. I couldn't do that.

Yeah, okay, the carbon frames and clipless stuff probably helped, compared with my old school stuff.

So roller by roller, one 50 yard long 6% climb at a time, over the miles, I dropped farther and farther back, until I couldn't bridge the gap anymore on the downhills and flats. Usually I could hang on for about 20 miles of their scheduled 50-60 mile rides before I fell off the back and went my own way...

I totally get what you're saying, but how much is recent familiarity with the DT levers affecting your effectiveness with them?
Notwithstanding the much heavier bike that they are mounted on, have you used this Centurion bike for regular training ride use of the sort that would sharpen your coordination enough to fully exploit what they have to offer?
And how about the more widely-spaced ratios, isn't that something that one also develops an effective strategy for making the most of? How about the Centurion's tires, are they at least racing quality or very close?

I've watched some of the CRC(?) youtube videos where the guys bring out an old bike to "compare" to the new one they are familiar with, but really what kind of comparison can be made when the rider apparently doesn't even realize that he has already hit his lowest gear on a steep climb? There's a strategy to deal with that, when to drop to the saddle and then spring forward over the front tire for a specific level of sustainable effort that one learns to anticipate when using limited gearing with bigger gaps and having to drop to the saddle as needed without losing much in the way of position. Even the bike setup for getting the most of DT levers during more competitive efforts is something that only comes from using an older setup frequently in the most challenging conditions.

I won't deny some competitive advantage to integrated levers, tighter ratios, broader gearing spread, not to mention lighter weight and better aero, but a difference in performance may only surface on the longest, hilliest rides or amidst tight competition, where losing even 1% of power-to-weight is enough to split the field.

So if you can get up to speed with that B-group on your modern bike for a few successive sessions, I'd bet that there are days that you can hang, at least once you are all tuned up on the Centurion.

I used the 22.5lb Peugeot PH501 below with friction levers and only a 42-24t low gear the other day on one of the hilly rides that I feared, and yet with a strategy of attacking each leg of the climbs mostly out of the saddle and then recovering a bit longer at a deliberately slower speed while allowing some others to go past (while I took advantage of these flatter "recovery" sections of the road), I finished with the lead group and didn't even leave my legs sore as if I had grinded a low cadence while seated. But this is only because I ride these bikes frequently, between outings on my modern bikes, so I can make the most of what the equipment and my power output will allow. Most importantly, I've learned to have fun and learn with each ride in order to keep the morale/motivation factor high!
Now in my later 50's I do know better than to try hanging with the lead group of the fastest regional training rides down toward Sacramento, especially on an older bike, but I'm just not at that level anymore though there are always riders to ride with behind the lead group that always manages to put a gap on the rest of us.

Last edited by dddd; 01-22-18 at 10:50 PM.
Old 01-22-18, 10:53 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
I totally get what you're saying, but how much is recent familiarity with the DT levers affecting your effectiveness with them?
Notwithstanding the much heavier bike that they are mounted on, have you used this Centurion bike for regular training ride use of the sort that would sharpen your coordination enough to fully exploit what they have to offer?
And how about the more widely-spaced ratios, isn't that something that one also develops an effective strategy for making the most of? How about the Centurion's tires, are they at least racing quality or very close?
Fair points.

I rode a drop bar road bike with downtube shifters in the 1970s-'80s, but didn't ride bikes much at all for the next 30something years. I only started riding again in 2015, and only got this Centurion Ironman in June 2017.

First time I rode with that group I'd only been back on a road bike with DT shifters for 2-3 months. My shifting is much smoother and more intuitive now.

The bike has 700x23 Schwalbe One V-Guards, great tires.

I've fiddled around with the gear ratios, swapping between the original 52/42 chainring and 13-25 Sunrace freewheel, and 52/39 chainrings with the original 13-24 Suntour. Not much difference between 'em. But the 52/39 chainring feels awkward combined with the 13-25 freewheel, so I used that for only a week. Too much double shifting to find the sweet spot.

I won't mess with any more equipment changes until I've gotten comfortable with clipless. I just got the pedals and am waiting for the shoes and cleats from Jenson. A little more efficiency will help. I'm losing some energy to road chatter and vibration on our rural chipseal. With platform pedals I'm wasting energy trying to keep my feet planted where I want 'em, especially on climbs and downhills on rough pavement.

Last time I rode with them was late November or early December and I was hanging on okay, but I planned to ride a full century and preferred a 15 mph average to their 17-18 mph (they planned a 50-60 mile ride that morning). So I dropped off after about 20 miles to conserve energy. I rode the same route they did, but in a clockwise rather than counter-clockwise direction (not sure why they ride that route counter-clockwise, seems like fighting more traffic).

I've lost some fitness due to inactivity and illness this winter, so we'll see how it goes by March-April. Won't take much of an improvement to hang a bit more comfortably with that group. I just don't want anyone waiting for me if they prefer a slightly faster pace.
Old 01-22-18, 11:49 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
You're right about those freewheels, mostly all 2-tooth gear changes, but with DT levers I really prefer the wider gaps and less-frequent gear changes, though I actually find the double-shift routing entertainingly challenging when a single back-shift gets the job done.
Might the 13-28t version of the 7s Sunrace FW actually make for a smother double-shift, by splitting the 53-39t drop with larger 3t and 4t changes in back? If the Xenon rear derailer on my Torelli would even handle the 13-28t FW I probably would have used it, and as for the Synchro 7s index shifting on this bike it works perfectly using Shimano 9s chain.

Old 01-26-18, 06:54 PM
T Stew

Bikes: All 80s Schwinns: 88Prologue, 88Circuit, 88Ontare, 88KOM, 86SS, 88Tempo, 88V'ger, 80V'ger, 88LeTour, 82LTLuxeMixte, 87 Cimarron, 86H.Sierra, 92Paramount9c

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
When I was first doing long rides, I was out on my steel DT bike and got dropped by a guy with brifters. I was holding his wheel fine as long as the slope stayed steady, but he easily dropped me in rollers when he just outshifted me.
This.
I guess if you're racing especially in those 'rollers' one could really appreciate quicker and more convenient shifting. This doesn't really bother me since I don't race. No one has ever dropped me with my DT shifters because I have never raced anyone in rollers. I'm very content riding solo and solves the problem of needing different gear to keep up with the A pack or whatever. Also I guess I have the advantage of being able to do a century ride from my house, in a few different directions, without encountering hills. I do prefer brifters slightly when in the hills I won't deny, but not so much that I feel like getting them for all my bikes.
Old 01-26-18, 07:37 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
Originally Posted by T Stew
I guess if you're racing especially in those 'rollers' one could really appreciate quicker and more convenient shifting. This doesn't really bother me since I don't race. No one has ever dropped me with my DT shifters because I have never raced anyone in rollers. I'm very content riding solo and solves the problem of needing different gear to keep up with the A pack or whatever. Also I guess I have the advantage of being able to do a century ride from my house, in a few different directions, without encountering hills. I do prefer brifters slightly when in the hills I won't deny, but not so much that I feel like getting them for all my bikes.
Totally agree. Brifters are heavier, expensive, wear out, and make cable changes harder. That said, one might think of going to bar-ends on a bike next time cables need changing. They're pretty nice. I hold the levers between 3rd and 4th fingers when shifting. Tektro makes nice aero levers if one ever thinks of modernizing an older bike.