Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Totally Tubular

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Totally Tubular

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-23, 07:26 AM
EVlove

Bikes: 1980 Dawes Super Galaxy + 1981 Lotus Classique + 1986 Bianchi Sport SX + 2005 Van Dessel Project WR + 2021 Zizzo Liberté

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 481 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by MooneyBloke
Here's a question for the peanut gallery: why the hell is Conti glue so damned expensive these days? My old 350g can for which I payed $25 at my LBS is nearly gone. No matter where I look, it seems they want about $70 for the same thing. While it's been a while since I've purchased glue, the jump in price seems unreasonable to me. The tires themselves have gone up a bit, but by a reasonable amount.
Still between 12 and 15 euros from European vendors so here's your chance to Google "Schlauchreifenkitt" If you order multiples or find other items to get to any order minimum and spread the shipping cost, it could be worth it. Not all will ship cement to the US. Bike24 does not but IME they are idiots, anyway. Packed an order so poorly that a bag of spokes and nipples slipped out along the way so in the end it took 6 weeks to get everything.

I just ordered a can of Conti cement from Velosaloon in Austria. Fair warning, making their 50 euro order minimum turned into an epic trip down a rabbit hole of 800+ items in the sale/clearance section alone. My first experience with them but the site is fantastic, with clear photos and descriptions of even the tiniest parts. I am so looking forward to my genuine NOS French needle and thread kit for 90 cents

Last edited by EVlove; 03-01-23 at 08:03 AM. Reason: clarification
Likes For EVlove:
Old 03-01-23, 07:44 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 762 Posts
Originally Posted by EVlove
Still between 12 and 15 euros from European vendors so here's your chance to Google "Schlauchreifenkitt"
I tried. It worked, up to a point. Sure enough, 350g cans of Continental tubular cement are only €10,08 from Bike24, but doesn't ship to the US (to avoid competition with US vendors or shipping of VOCs?). I'm sure there are other vendors who will, but I haven't searched further.

The discrepancy in price between Euro and US vendors suggests to me there's something going on, tariffs, perhaps?
Old 03-01-23, 08:40 AM
EVlove

Bikes: 1980 Dawes Super Galaxy + 1981 Lotus Classique + 1986 Bianchi Sport SX + 2005 Van Dessel Project WR + 2021 Zizzo Liberté

Originally Posted by smontanaro
I tried. It worked, up to a point. Sure enough, 350g cans of Continental tubular cement are only €10,08 from Bike24, but doesn't ship to the US (to avoid competition with US vendors or shipping of VOCs?). I'm sure there are other vendors who will, but I haven't searched further.

The discrepancy in price between Euro and US vendors suggests to me there's something going on, tariffs, perhaps?
Yeah I'm half-expecting to get an email from Velosaloon that they can't fulfill the order because of VOC regulations. We'll see. I was able to put my order in and pay (although they didn't deduct VAT).

Bike24 has a lot of items they won't ship to the US, everything Shimano, SRAM, DT Swiss for example. I suppose that's just a contractual obligation to protect the US distributors.
Old 03-01-23, 08:57 AM
MooneyBloke

Bikes: Two Peter Mooney customs, a 1980 Trek 510 townie, a Marin Stelvio set up for TTs.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 294 Times in 161 Posts
To be honest, I don't buy the VOC argument since tubes of the stuff are still readily available. As I recall, Conti glue uses hexane as the solvent, and even with the cans, you're not getting exposed at high levels. A nearly triple-fold increase in price looks like gouging to me.

I'm still somewhat annoyed that dichloromethane based strippers are prohibited by law these days. Those in very small quantity were the best chemical means of removing sew-up glue from aluminum rims. Using non-trivial amounts in enclosed spaces is really a case of stupid games/stupid prizes.
Old 03-01-23, 10:22 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
^^I saw that deal, too, but the wisdom in this thread is that these are to be avoided.
Can you refresh my memory about why the wisdom in this thread was to avoid these tires?
Old 03-01-23, 12:00 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts

*The front wheel is going on my first track bike and the rear may not see actual use at all so should I worry about that brake track wear? I can't seem to find a sectional drawing of the old aluminum tubular rims, only the carbon ones. I'll have to figure out a way to measure the wall thickness at the valve hole, there are no spoke holes in the gluing surface on these.
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
If the wear is as obvious as you describe, I'd be loathe to use either one - even if neither rim ever contacted a brake shoe again. Photos would help, but when I read 'concave wear', I involuntarily winced

Retire them - your beautiful smile will thank you!

DD
Well, I did state a photo could help clarify, but I bow to your judgement if the concavity is measured at less than 1mm. However, having said that, I wouldn't go so far as to judge a rim's strength based upon how well it held up when removing a previously-glued tire.

If you want true peace of mind, you should be able to find sidewall thickness data regarding your specific rim (even stuff from the 70s and 80s is likely to have specs giving that information). Also, in the case of Mavic's SUP rims, their modern offerings have a 'wear indicator' groove in the center of the brake track. When the sidewall is down to the point it's effectively been 'erased', it's time to retire the rim. To my eye, the groove is only a couple millimeters deep, so you might take that into consideration as well as you go forward.

While I'm sure that advice from the manufacturer is one way of ensuring repeat customers, it must also be a case of the same manufacturer not wanting the bad publicity of their rims causing accidents and possible death due to failure of the rim sidewall, and the likely accident which follows.

DD
Keep in mind we are talking tubular rims, not clincher. A sidewall failure with a clincher is bad. A rifle shot to the ears and the jagged sidewall is now a sawtoothed chariot scythe cutting all (chainstays, calves ...) in its path. But a tubular rim just collapses when the sidewall fails. And you just ride home a little slower, bump, bump, bump.

Yeah, I suppose you could have a very light rim fail on a corner and maybe taco but I still think the odds are far greater that any small pavement irregularity will cause the dent I described first. (Unless this is strictly a velodrome or perfect pavement criterium wheel.) My experience has been with the 330 gr Arc en Ciels (always died of pothole dents and the like - eventually too far from round and with poor braking), the 400+ gm whatevers of the same era (same deaths; just taking far more abuse to get there). and my Ergal and Medal d'Or race wheels. (Again, same deaths but far sooner.) The GP4s I mentioned above. Again, basically the same death. Front got retired when I got home because it also had zero sidewall in places.

Th new light racing rims with high strength alloys ridden by big, strong riders - well more caution is warranted. I'm guessing some or most of those have wear indicators that I would honor.
Old 03-01-23, 12:15 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
Can you refresh my memory about why the wisdom in this thread was to avoid these tires?
The word is that Challenge has been not living up to the challenge of reliably gluing on the treads. I've heard that here and in relation to their clinchers elsewhere. (My venture with Challenge clinchers a few years ago ended after I stopped believing I had safe and reliable tires under me. Bead issue. Beads lifting off the rim, blowout and destroyed expensive tubes. After spending far longer than I ever have to get that bead perfect. Then I had both latex Challenge tubes, brand new, blow out at the junction between the valve portion and the rest of the tube. 10 and 14 miles from home, first ride. So, simply not rubber I want to do a mountain descent on. Sad that I am hearing issues with their tubulars. But Vittoria makes such a nice and idiotically reliable tubular that I'm simply going there. (I've got a pair of Veloflexes I'm looking forward to.) Vittoria has been making those stupidly reliable tires a long, long time. The cheap training cottons they made with so many different labels back in the '70s. (Yes, not all vendors took proper care of those tires. Thank you, Palo Alto Bikes!)
Old 03-01-23, 12:24 PM
masi61

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
79pmooney - - -

These were the tubulars I was asking about, not the Challenge brand.
Old 03-01-23, 01:18 PM
EVlove

Originally Posted by masi61
See post #2424 above
Likes For EVlove:
Old 03-01-23, 01:31 PM
EVlove

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Keep in mind we are talking tubular rims, not clincher. A sidewall failure with a clincher is bad. A rifle shot to the ears and the jagged sidewall is now a sawtoothed chariot scythe cutting all (chainstays, calves ...) in its path. But a tubular rim just collapses when the sidewall fails. And you just ride home a little slower, bump, bump, bump.

Yeah, I suppose you could have a very light rim fail on a corner and maybe taco but I still think the odds are far greater that any small pavement irregularity will cause the dent I described first. (Unless this is strictly a velodrome or perfect pavement criterium wheel.) My experience has been with the 330 gr Arc en Ciels (always died of pothole dents and the like - eventually too far from round and with poor braking), the 400+ gm whatevers of the same era (same deaths; just taking far more abuse to get there). and my Ergal and Medal d'Or race wheels. (Again, same deaths but far sooner.) The GP4s I mentioned above. Again, basically the same death. Front got retired when I got home because it also had zero sidewall in places.

Th new light racing rims with high strength alloys ridden by big, strong riders - well more caution is warranted. I'm guessing some or most of those have wear indicators that I would honor.
I'm not sure I can follow you. It is a tubular rim and it will be strictly for the velodrome.

Anyway, as I have been explaining, I'm not rushing into this and will measure the wall thickness as accurately as I can before I put any more work and money into this wheel, let alone ride it. Right now I simply would like to find a sectional drawing to see what's what when the rim is new. Again, this is not a C&V wheel at all, it's one of those Mavic integrated things with proprietary hubs, spokes, nipples, and whatnot. At this moment, from what I have been able to observe, I think 1mm of aluminum is all there ever was in many places on these rims. Without removing the spokes (which, of course, requires a proprietary wrench), the valve hole is the only spot where the thickness of the extrusion can even be seen. The inner valve hole measures 1mm thick exactly, the outer is considerably thinner in the center of the tire bed.
Old 03-01-23, 03:45 PM
EVlove

To explain in more detail, what I would like to find is something like this, except this is a Weinmann Pegasus clincher rim, not a Mavic:

So I imagine the Ksyrium looks much the same in cross-section, minus the clincher horns of course. My brake tracks are worn down but there is still a little "step" between the brake track and the rest of the sidewall. Which would mean there is just as much material left there as there is throughout the rest. But I want to measure that and/or confirm the original cross-section did indeed have extra material in the way of the brake tracks.

It's just not the same starting point as with an old school rim that's the same thickness everywhere and hence every bit of wear makes the brake track the thinnest wall.
Old 03-01-23, 04:41 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 312 Posts
Check into Araya Aero rims. There are several models which might work for you. One model below on my Raysport.

20080911_9 by L Travers, on Flickr

Lynn Travers

Photos

Last edited by CV-6; 03-01-23 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-01-23, 04:55 PM
masi61

See post #2424 above
Oh, gotcha - I actually bought a pair of the Panaracer tubular 23’s for an even lower price (it may have been for the same “recyclery” place. I guess I will find out if they also blow out randomly…
Old 03-01-23, 05:28 PM
EVlove

Originally Posted by CV-6
Check into Araya Aero rims. There are several models which might work for you. One model below on my Raysport.
I have one on the rear Not branded but unmistakable, with spoke hole inserts, 21mm wide, it must be an ADX-2.
Old 03-04-23, 03:32 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
Well, I mounted my first set of tubular tires. I did not get them as straight-as-an-arrow, but they are on the rims. Some glue got around to where it should not be, but fortunately not a huge mess. What's the buzz? Lighter fluid will take it off? I pumped them up to 140 lbs to set them (my pump only goes to 160), and hopefully, I'll have good luck with them this summer.

Old 03-04-23, 04:58 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre

Well, I mounted my first set of tubular tires. I did not get them as straight-as-an-arrow...

Were it me, I'd tear the rear off and re-center it - seriously. If you make a decently-committed hard left turn, I fear you're gonna be cornering on the sidewall - not good. For your own sake, center that tread!

The front looks pretty much okey-dokey.

DD
Old 03-04-23, 05:17 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
You can’t be serious. 😇 Do over. You can do much much better. You have 4 months.
Likes For Classtime:
Old 03-04-23, 07:12 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Were it me, I'd tear the rear off and re-center it - seriously. If you make a decently-committed hard left turn, I fear you're gonna be cornering on the sidewall - not good. For your own sake, center that tread!

The front looks pretty much okey-dokey.

DD
Okay, I will. Thank you very much.
Old 03-04-23, 07:13 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Originally Posted by Classtime
You can’t be serious. 😇 Do over. You can do much much better. You have 4 months.
I struggled just to do this, and it was my second try. You have any tips on technique?
Old 03-04-23, 07:25 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
Minimize pressure, then lift and adjust evey 6 inches or less. Check for uniform exposure of the base tape side to side.
Old 03-04-23, 07:31 PM
Classtime 

Yep. Go round and round, spin to check, make some adjustments, repeat til your satisfied.
Old 03-04-23, 07:55 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Originally Posted by SJX426
Minimize pressure, then lift and adjust evey 6 inches or less. Check for uniform exposure of the base tape side to side.
I'll give it a shot, but this tire is so tight, I don't think it is going to budge at all. Lift with what?
Old 03-04-23, 07:56 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Originally Posted by Classtime
Yep. Go round and round, spin to check, make some adjustments, repeat til your satisfied.
Yeah, if there was no glue on the rim and tire, maybe I could do that! You seem to have no idea how adhesive this glue is. Nothing will budge, once the tire is on the rim. I am going to strip all the glue off the rim and going to tape. I've heard I can strip them with a hair-dryer and a rag. These results are entirely unacceptable. Now I see why my mechanic refused to do this job. Maybe I should have just used tape, instead of three coats of glue. It took me three (3) tire levers to get these tires on, because the glue I put on them seems to have prevented the tires from stretching onto the rim.

Last edited by 1989Pre; 03-05-23 at 12:27 AM.
Old 03-05-23, 12:54 AM
Classtime 

Don’t give up so easily. I’ve only used Continental and Vittoria glues. What are you using? And I don’t think tire irons can be used to good effect. You want to stretch as you go and if you run out of tire, start over and stretch more forcefully. Watch some Videos. I think Continentals are the tightest and yours don’t look like them.
Old 03-05-23, 03:31 AM
Aardwolf
Wheelman

Bikes: 1982 Holdsworth Avanti (531), 1961 Holdsworth Cyclone

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 676 Times in 341 Posts
I'm just going to mention tape:
  1. Put the tape on the rim with backing still on
  2. Put the tyre on and centre it (it's not stuck yet)
  3. Pull the backing tape off (from underneath the tyre, at the side).
  4. Inflate to hard and leave
Then again I haven't tried glue (yet).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.