Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Retro roadies- old frames with STI's or Ergos

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Retro roadies- old frames with STI's or Ergos

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-09, 12:33 AM
Six jours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
People who actually like classic bikes know that those impractical and non-functional old bike parts are mostly aluminum.
Old 02-04-09, 12:46 AM
kmcc2576

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Six jours
People who actually like classic bikes know that those impractical and non-functional old bike parts are mostly aluminum.
There was an inaccuracy in my completely nonsensical comment? Your right, I just realized that I don't like bikes at all. I have seen the light. I'm selling all my bikes tomorrow. Wanna buy a San Rensho seat post?
Old 02-04-09, 02:11 AM
yellowjeep

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Holy crap. This thread just got ridiculous. Six jours why don't you just buy up all the classic bikes that people are ****ing up so it doesn't happen and stay out of this thread if it pisses you off so much?
Old 02-04-09, 02:23 AM
Prabuddhadg

Bikes: Olmo, Psynyde, Fuji, Gios, Scrambler

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Or better still, we could set up a "fighting" thread where everybody with a grudge could meet and complain and fight instead of holding up more interesting conversation.
Old 02-04-09, 03:46 AM
tashi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
Six jours, why can't you stay away from this thread?

You don't like it, we don't like you.

Ciao.

Anyone got a nicely updated road bike to post?
Old 02-04-09, 03:48 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Six jours, Just out of curiosity, how do you feel about someone fitting modern parts on a classic bike, and keeping the original component group around just in case. I am sure that probably happens, the fixed crowd seem to practice that method from time to time.

I am not trying to fan your flame here, just an honest, curious question.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 02-04-09, 05:03 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
So, "bonechilling", is that complaint about ad hominem a general principle, or somewhat more selective? Right...

As for it being "pretty simple" to return to the original components, when was the last time you saw a San Rensho seatpost for sale? Once it's been "parted out", it's extremely unlikely to be replaced. Yet another essentially irreplaceable bicycle "improved" with modern cookie-cutter parts.

But I think the "making it more practical and functional" line sums it all up: you folks honestly don't think much of classic bikes and really do believe you're "making them better". I think you guys are missing out.
Sentimentality over function, huh? Even if everyone actually rides their bikes. Did it ever occur to you that the majority were bought as a frame only? Would you rather drive a '68 Chevelle across the country with a 396 4 barrell and drum brakes or a 427 LS7 getting 25mpg with twice the power and 6 piston calipers? You've made a fool of yourself. Run along now.
Old 02-04-09, 05:33 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2545 Post(s)
Liked 3,026 Times in 1,723 Posts
Sentimentality over function? The previous owner of my '74 Fender Precision Bass stripped the original finish and tossed the original pickguard and pickup to replace them with, ahem, upgrades. It's now worth about 1/4 of what it would be worth in unaltered condition. I wish he'd had a sentimental attachment to the bass as it was and left it alone.
Old 02-04-09, 06:12 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Sentimentality over function? The previous owner of my '74 Fender Precision Bass stripped the original finish and tossed the original pickguard and pickup to replace them with, ahem, upgrades. It's now worth about 1/4 of what it would be worth in unaltered condition. I wish he'd had a sentimental attachment to the bass as it was and left it alone.
That is brutal!! I agree it is worth more original, and stripping the paint on that bass is a total shame.

I bought my 78 Raleigh Pro as a frameset and I am going to build it up with what I have, so some of these modern / classic mixes may have started in this fashion.

Miamijim sold a frame on ebay awhile back. The buyer sent him an email later to show pictures of all the braze-ons he hacked off so lovingly when he saved it.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 02-04-09, 06:45 AM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by Trakhak
But this thread is about vintage bikes with integrated shifters, not stripping the paint, putting a Dead Kitty Cat decal on and removing the gears
Old 02-04-09, 10:48 AM
Six jours

Ah, so at least some of you do realize that there's value in unaltered originals. Maybe that's why there's so much anger and insult. It's like a toddler getting caught doing something he knows he's not supposed to.
Old 02-04-09, 11:06 AM
Six jours

Six jours, Just out of curiosity, how do you feel about someone fitting modern parts on a classic bike, and keeping the original component group around just in case. I am sure that probably happens, the fixed crowd seem to practice that method from time to time.

I am not trying to fan your flame here, just an honest, curious question.
To be perfectly serious for once, none of this especially bothers me. It's mostly just fun to tweak you fellows and then watch you spin. I do think it's a shame when an especially nice and/or rare bike gets monkeyed around with -- you're kidding yourselves if you think the San Rensho is ever going to be reunited with its original parts, and that's almost certainly true for all of the bikes shown on this thread -- but at least so far no real atrocities have been committed on this thread.

And yes, you all own your bikes and get to do whatever you like with them. The same, however, can be said for the guys over on the SS/FG thread who are hacking derailleur tabs off of 50's Cinellis. They're convinced they are "improving" them too, and this thread is very similar in attitude if not practice. Few bikes on this thread have been irreparably harmed -- although again, few will ever be returned to their original state -- but the ideological seperation between this stuff and the derailleur tab choppers is only a matter of degree.
Old 02-04-09, 11:55 AM
tashi

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
It's mostly just fun to tweak you fellows and then watch you spin...

-- but at least so far no real atrocities have been committed on this thread.
Ahh, that's what I thought, you just come here to be a jerk without reason.

Kinda what I figured, nice of you to admit it.

I feel sorry for you - you must have so little that's worthwhile in your life that you've got the time and inclination to piss people off on purpose. Sad, really.

Leaving yet?

I think I'll go take a picture of my wife's 80's Marinoni with 600 + STI just to get this thing back on track.
Old 02-04-09, 01:13 PM
Lazyass

It's mostly just fun to tweak you fellows and then watch you spin.
Old 02-04-09, 01:16 PM
JunkYardBike
Dropped

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Old 02-04-09, 07:57 PM
Six jours

You poor kids still all worked up over all this? Honestly, I'm feeling kind of bad about it. So just to prove there are no hard feelings, here's a link to a couple of irreplaceable racing bikes from the 50s and 60s. I'm thinking Krylon, 105, and deep Vs, but then, what do I know?

Have fun!
Old 02-06-09, 09:55 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,412 Times in 912 Posts
I'll try to bring the thread back to the title subject..........

1983 Centurion Turbo, a tribute to the acme-supply, who raced this same frame for years.

1988 Centuron Ironman Master, from Little Darwin.

1988 Centurion Ironman Carbon, (Campy) from Otto Rax (frame, Ergos, and enthusiasm)

1989 Centurion Ironman Master, from Ken Enright, who sold an identical one to j mazz

1988 Centurion Ironman Carbon, Shimano 600/Ultegra, including STI's, frame help from riva, heads up by Spinz.

Spinz told me in mid-morning of the CL find, and within 4 hours, riva and the seller were making arrangements,
and a few days later, he shipped it to me. It doesn't get any better.

1989 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman Expert. Frame and FD/RD are original. Not much else.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 03-16-09 at 06:37 AM.
Old 02-07-09, 01:56 AM
Mike552
Padovano

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
Talk about classic & vintage, that's the Panasonic KX-P1123. That was an excellent printer back in its day. Great value for the money....

Old 02-07-09, 05:18 AM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by Mike552
Talk about classic & vintage, that's the Panasonic KX-P1123. That was an excellent printer back in its day. Great value for the money....

And the PC looks like an old IBM XT 5160

Old 02-07-09, 06:47 AM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Ok...so. I gots the Dura-Ace goods mocked up on mees Swin Cirkit from thereabouts MCMXXCVII.

Doez little things that be on da down low tube be sittinz to high so I be flippin dem on the different sidz yo to make em like bees a little lowerz and covert n stuff. Da republican one be non adjustablz cuz it goes 'click' 'click' notz turns turns lke da other one...

What I do now?

Last edited by miamijim; 02-07-09 at 07:12 AM.
Old 02-07-09, 07:04 AM
-holiday76
No one cares

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by miamijim
Ok...so. I gots the Dura-Ace goods mocked up on mees Swin Cirkit from thereabouts XXCIIX.

Doez little things that be on da down low tube be sittinz to high so I be flippin dem on the different sidz yo to make em like bees a little lowerz and covert n stuff. Da republican one be non adjustablz cuz it goes 'click' 'click' notz turns turns lke da other one...

What I do now?
yes, bicycle.

Old 02-07-09, 07:31 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,412 Times in 912 Posts
Cut 'em off and make a fixie, you caveman!
Old 02-07-09, 07:56 AM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Cut 'em off and make a fixie, you caveman!
I'd rather stick neddles in my eyes.....
Old 02-07-09, 09:00 AM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Miamijim,

Shouldn't that have started with "Oh-tay".
Old 02-08-09, 06:14 PM
royleroy

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Panasonic Team America hodge podge

Here's my '88 Team America Custom. A mix of: 7 speed Shimano cassette, Campy 8 speed shifters, 10 speed derailleur and a SRAM 9 speed chain. Amazingly, it works quite well. I've got a total of $30 in it from parts sold off the bike and stuff I had in the garage.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.