Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Helix Update?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Helix Update?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-23, 02:52 PM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
Helix has a special proprietary front wheel hub that seems very difficult to find. So building your own wheelset will be difficult.

Same for the tires that have size width x diameter for which the choice of tires is very limited. Almost all 24"/ETRTO507 tires on the market are to wide for Helix.
Old 07-10-23, 09:17 AM
Jonesandrew

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by kl25
Hi everyone,

New here and a complete novice to bike maintenance / modifications. Recently got my hands on a used Helix after eying it for a long time.

I am looking for some easy ways to cut weight. One of which is changing the wheelset and tires. On Helix's website, there are recommendations for this set of rims and tires that can be ran tubeless. I'd also love to get a set of tires that has lower rolling resistance.

As far as I can see, this would mean I'd also have to purchase spokes, front and rear hubs to have this wheelset built (or can i use the same front and rear hub?)...I would also need to make some adjustments to run those tires tubeless.

All of this require a bike shop to build from the grounds up.

I am wondering if there are pre made wheelsets that are similar in weight which would make this weight cut process easier?

Thanks all.
Wheel Angel in Singapore offer wheel sets for Helix: https://www.wheelangel.com/products/...ndustries-hubs. It’s not clear if they have their own source for the front hubs, you may have to send them yours.

Speed Mini Cycle offer a 507x30 carbon rim: https://www.speedminicycle.com/mini-...rbon-rims.html
I'm not sure if either of the above options are suitable for tubeless tyres, you would need to check.

It looks like you’re located in Canada, so you may find it easier to obtain the Stans no tubes rims which Helix uses and which obviously are suitable for tubeless tyres: https://www.notubes.com/crest-mk4-rim

There’s no reason why you can’t re-use the rear hub as well as long as you can obtain a rim drilled for 28 spokes, however changing the hub provides another opportunity to reduce weight.

One point to note, I believe the Crest Mk4 rim continues to be the lightest 507 rim available (323g) regardless of the material they’re made from. The SMC rim above is listed at 380g on their webpage.

Helix claim their Custom Ultralight tyre has 20% less rolling resistance than the Kenda Kwest tyre fitted to the standard bikes, so this may be your only option.
Old 07-10-23, 03:00 PM
Jipe

Wheelangel write: Front Hub: HELIX Formula Front Hub.

So it seems they could source the same hub as Helix mount on their bikes?

Rims in ETRTO507 which is a BMX size aren't a problem, including TL ready rims. S[pokes neither.

The problem is to find 40x507 tires or narrower.

And maybe the rear hub: I read for both the White Industries and Onyx rear hubs that they are "Modified for Helix", what does that mean, what must be modified on a standard rear hub to make it compatible with Helix?

Last edited by Jipe; 07-10-23 at 03:22 PM.
Old 07-11-23, 01:38 AM
Jonesandrew

Originally Posted by Jipe
Wheelangel write: Front Hub: HELIX Formula Front Hub.

So it seems they could source the same hub as Helix mount on their bikes?

Rims in ETRTO507 which is a BMX size aren't a problem, including TL ready rims. S[pokes neither.

The problem is to find 40x507 tires or narrower.

And maybe the rear hub: I read for both the White Industries and Onyx rear hubs that they are "Modified for Helix", what does that mean, what must be modified on a standard rear hub to make it compatible with Helix?
This is from the Helix upgrade guide:
  • Many aftermarket hubs will work but be sure to check that the hub manufacturer offers custom end caps to be able to adjust the spacing from the more common 142mm to 135mm. Also be sure to check the end cap diameter is max 21mm left and 19mm right.
The constraints on the end cap diameters are to ensure they will fit into the dropouts because they are counterbored on the inside.
Old 07-17-23, 09:13 PM
mallomar

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Hrodwolf
There is a forum, but it's really only for the original (Kickstarter) customers. I was told that the forum for the "new" customers should be back in a few weeks.
Do you have access to the forum yet? I still don’t seem to. I was curious to see reports of anyone who upgraded to e-shift.

Last edited by mallomar; 07-18-23 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-18-23, 12:29 PM
Hrodwolf

Bikes: Tern Verge X11 (2021), Helix Ultralight (2023)

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by mallomar
Do you have access to the forum yet? I still don’t seem to. I was curious to see reports of anyone who upgraded to e-shift.
Not yet. They've just added a few weeks ago my bike number and frame serial number.

I saw some interesting comments on youtube by a Slovene rider (he has a few Helix videos)
Helix is developed for more classic ride with his 24inch wheels. Also ride position is more natural and very comfort. Folding and unfold is also fast, but not as fast as brompton. In folded position is little bigger, but is slim. It is easily rolling on his front big wheel (there is no small wheels - it is only fixed rubber rings for stand). Weight is simmilar. But to be honest - I prefer helix for his designe, ride charakteristics, bigger wheels... but still I can say, that brompton is more practical.
if you nedd to use a folding bike daily for ride in the city and also part of your travel is with public transport, then I recommend brompton. Plus if you already have a brompton then there is nothing to deal with. Helix is also not joy to ride on cobbled roads
I use mainly HELIX so if I will have only one [bike] - it will be HELIX. The reason is - I like it very much. The ride is more like usual bike. Brompton is also comfortable, but with small wheels it feels different. HELIX have beautiful designe. Bromptom can I fast fold and unfold. It is more practical when you travel with train or public transport (Brompton). I use HELIX for ride around my home and take it with my car to nature. So I not use it daily for work. If I will go to work with bus, I will prefer the Brompton for transport in short distances.
​​​​​​​
Likes For Hrodwolf:
Old 08-20-23, 12:36 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 173 Posts
Dropping in to say I'm one of the waylaid Kickstarter folks probably destined to not receive my Helix derailleur w/ UL upgrade. Wanted one to fit in the tiny trunk of the car I bought back during the Helix campaign--seemed like the ideal accessory. Still have the car, still have no bike that fits.

Not considering a Brompton Ti as I don't trust the tiny wheels to adequately handle our shabby pavement and for $2.5k more than my phantom Helix, the value is not there.

Anyway, best wishes to Helix owners and to-be owners. It seems like a terrific bike.

Cheers,
Rick
Likes For Rick_D:
Old 08-20-23, 03:05 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 378 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick_D
Dropping in to say I'm one of the waylaid Kickstarter folks probably destined to not receive my Helix derailleur w/ UL upgrade. Wanted one to fit in the tiny trunk of the car I bought back during the Helix campaign--seemed like the ideal accessory. Still have the car, still have no bike that fits.

Not considering a Brompton Ti as I don't trust the tiny wheels to adequately handle our shabby pavement and for $2.5k more than my phantom Helix, the value is not there.

Anyway, best wishes to Helix owners and to-be owners. It seems like a terrific bike.

Cheers,
Rick
Oh my! Sorry you're in this situation. I've got a Zizzo Liberté for errands - it's a great value folder. I've ridden as much as 30 miles on it. Not ideal but got the job done.
Old 08-21-23, 07:04 PM
childcarepro

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
?

Can you clarify whether the Helix won't fit in your trunk, or whether you think you won't ever receive it? I thought he had shipped most of the orders.
Old 08-21-23, 07:10 PM
Saitoh17

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Isn't the ultralight derailleur just a standard Shimano dura-ace you can find anywhere? Doesn't seem like it would be hard to get hold of.
Old 08-23-23, 10:07 AM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Originally Posted by childcarepro
Can you clarify whether the Helix won't fit in your trunk, or whether you think you won't ever receive it? I thought he had shipped most of the orders.
My belief is it would fit. I will never see the bike because I declined to pay the extra couple grand they want to make that happen.

Perhaps someday I shall get my KS payments back. The path to making that happen isn't terribly clear, I infer they're living hand-to-mouth keeping the doors open.

Cheers,
Rick
Old 08-23-23, 11:29 AM
childcarepro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My belief is it would fit. I will never see the bike because I declined to pay the extra couple grand they want to make that happen.

Perhaps someday I shall get my KS payments back. The path to making that happen isn't terribly clear, I infer they're living hand-to-mouth keeping the doors open.

Cheers,
Rick
Bummer, one YouTuber said he got his on Kickstarter for $800 or $1300 something crazy like that. They wouldn't honor your price?
Old 08-23-23, 12:04 PM
Rick_D

Bummer, one YouTuber said he got his on Kickstarter for $800 or $1300 something crazy like that. They wouldn't honor your price?
It was a two-step process: placed a presale order at substantial discount versus projected retail then, as the years passed and bikes trickled out, they offered an ultralight upgrade at added cost so I opted in with a second payment. Retail on my configuration now, when they're taking orders, is US $4,500 and making a third payment to reach that mark seems to be the only way to get a bike. Lacking that, I'm in refund limbo with quite a few others.
Old 08-23-23, 01:06 PM
childcarepro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It was a two-step process: placed a presale order at substantial discount versus projected retail then, as the years passed and bikes trickled out, they offered an ultralight upgrade at added cost so I opted in with a second payment. Retail on my configuration now, when they're taking orders, is US $4,500 and making a third payment to reach that mark seems to be the only way to get a bike. Lacking that, I'm in refund limbo with quite a few others.
So you risked up front money on this KS project, then waited 8 years, and now he wants you to pay full retail because you wanted the upgrade? Doesn't sound great. While it's great that Peter didn't abscond with the cash, he should offer a hefty discount for your troubles, even if you want the ultralight version. I realize he's still underwater on his investments, but he should still do the right thing for his early backers IMO.
Old 08-23-23, 01:47 PM
Rick_D

So you risked up front money on this KS project, then waited 8 years, and now he wants you to pay full retail because you wanted the upgrade? Doesn't sound great. While it's great that Peter didn't abscond with the cash, he should offer a hefty discount for your troubles, even if you want the ultralight version. I realize he's still underwater on his investments, but he should still do the right thing for his early backers IMO.
Almost--the timeline was 1. initial offering choice among three models; 1a. long wait for a four-digit bike as others slowly shipped; 2. ultralight upgrade prerelease offer for waitlist buyers; 2a.opt in, send payment #2; 3. wait some more IIRC the factory move occurred at some point here; 3a. the refund or pay full price proclamation. Which, I suppose, would have been payment #3.

And here we are, waiting on that refund. (In the meantime I've bought two bikes, neither a folder.)
Old 08-23-23, 02:22 PM
mallomar

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Hrodwolf
Not yet. They've just added a few weeks ago my bike number and frame serial number.
Have you received your bike? If so, what do you think and how did your delivery date compare to the initial delivery window? The start of my delivery window is next Monday but I still haven't received any production numbers, so it seems like I'm still going to be waiting a while.
Old 08-23-23, 02:28 PM
Saitoh17

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Almost--the timeline was 1. initial offering choice among three models; 1a. long wait for a four-digit bike as others slowly shipped; 2. ultralight upgrade prerelease offer for waitlist buyers; 2a.opt in, send payment #2; 3. wait some more IIRC the factory move occurred at some point here; 3a. the refund or pay full price proclamation. Which, I suppose, would have been payment #3.

And here we are, waiting on that refund. (In the meantime I've bought two bikes, neither a folder.)
Oh geez I thought you meant you had the standard bike and was waiting for an ultralight kit.
Old 08-23-23, 03:41 PM
Jipe

So, you are not a KS backer but a buyer of the presale?

While for KS backers, there is no legal obligation for the KS creator to deliver anything because they are a kind of investor in the product development that give money to help create the product, the buyers of the presale are customers having bought a product, the seller must provide the product at the price proposed by him and paid by the customers (If a seller propose a price for a product and a buyer accept and pay this price, the sale is complete, the seller must provide the product to the buyer).
If the seller doesn't do so, the customer can sue the seller, If there are several buyers in the same situation, they can make a global group action against the seller. They can also ask money to compensate for the damages caused by the seller who didn't deliver the product in time.
Old 11-02-23, 02:02 PM
Rick_D

Not an endorsement but for lucky ducky Helix owners, they're offering presale on the long-rumoured bespoke rolling travel case. Construction details and dimensions given but oddly, no weight.

https://helix.ca/store/product/?productID=12

Still in business, so that's good.
Old 11-02-23, 10:40 PM
wesgreen

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Not an endorsement but for lucky ducky Helix owners, they're offering presale on the long-rumoured bespoke rolling travel case. Construction details and dimensions given but oddly, no weight.

Hats off to them if that case is really 62" as they claim.

Last edited by wesgreen; 11-03-23 at 08:12 PM.
Old 11-05-23, 03:03 AM
Jonesandrew

Case Weight

[QUOTE=Rick_D;23059922] Construction details and dimensions given but oddly, no weight.

The pre-order campaign has only just been announced with predicted delivery in Jan 24 so maybe they haven't actually completed a production model yet and don't know the final weight.
Old 11-07-23, 07:25 AM
kl25

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am not allowed to post links yet but they also have the rolling wheels now on the website in the "Upgrade" section for $88 CAD before tax. A bit steep for these but.

Bought them a few days ago. Will update here once they arrive.

I know there are cheaper solutions out there to fit a plastic roller wheel over the existing feet but I like the rubber rim on these Helix ones.
Old 11-09-23, 12:11 AM
silverx

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Honestly, I wonder what niche the Helix fills ?
- lightweight: its not, a Brompton T-line weight much less.
- compactness folded: its not, any Brompton is much smaller folded.
- utility folding bike: its not, there are no rear rack, no front bag carrier, nothing to carry anything on Helix, no dynamo lights on Helix, no efficient mudguards. Actuality, none of the accessories an everyday cyclist needs and which are available for the Brompton, the Birdy, several Tern and many others folding bikes.
- fast folding bike: its not, no fast tires available, no drop bar... Tyrell, Bike Friday, Airnimal, (and probably the new Origami Swift) are much faster folding bikes.

What else ???
owned and love my helix for 2years

Btw:
- cannot compare helix weight with smaller wheels
with stock bike ~2kg difference not bad as have 8" wheels difference

- my opinion helix fold more efficient n compact as using helical hinges
can see from this link
www.facebook.com/groups/1076674012354442/permalink/5015623821792755/

- hopefully helix will release a lot of accessories next year
Also cannot compare with Brompton that already mature on market

- for me, best tire now is helix ultralight tire
btw, u can use any type of hb as helix use after market stem with most common size (31.8mm)

Pros helix compare with Brompton is can use alot of after market bike part (except front hub and fork) like hb, stem, crank, bb, rd, cassette and etc

I mod my helix using 12s AXS 10-30t with zirbel shifter and love it so much

Last edited by silverx; 11-18-23 at 02:17 AM.
Likes For silverx:
Old 11-09-23, 12:33 AM
silverx

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Cheers,
Rick
Do u want try my bike? 😊

Last edited by silverx; 11-12-23 at 09:29 PM.
Old 11-09-23, 12:54 AM
silverx

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Helix has a special proprietary front wheel hub that seems very difficult to find. So building your own wheelset will be difficult.

Same for the tires that have size width x diameter for which the choice of tires is very limited. Almost all 24"/ETRTO507 tires on the market are to wide for Helix.
Yes its very difficult to find because only sell by helix 😁
can ask helix for pricing

Now best is using helix ultralight tire and hopefully helix can made more variant

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.