Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

"Dear Carleton"

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-12, 10:01 PM
Syscrush

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Is it typical to experience DOMS after a cycling workout, though? DOMS is typically associated with eccentric/negative contractions, and you do basically none of that on a road bike, and I would assume that you do as little as possible on a track bike...
Old 08-17-12, 08:52 AM
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
dear carleton:
just saw this, thought you might enjoy

Old 08-17-12, 09:13 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Syscrush
Is it typical to experience DOMS after a cycling workout, though? DOMS is typically associated with eccentric/negative contractions, and you do basically none of that on a road bike, and I would assume that you do as little as possible on a track bike...
I don't think it's typical.

Stopping on a track bike creates an eccentric contraction. This is why people who first start to skid have issues with their hip flexor muscles.
Old 08-20-12, 09:24 PM
8bits

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Carleton,

Cervelo gives 2 geometries based on seat tube angle, do you understand whats that about?
https://www.cervelo.com/en_us/bikes/2011/T1/geometry/

Do they mean that there's 2 types of T1's based on seat tube geometry?
Old 08-20-12, 09:32 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
The seat can be placed in two different positions (as shown in the diagram), resulting in differences in geo.

/notcarleton
Old 08-20-12, 09:36 PM
8bits

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Damn I'll email Cervelo cause seeing the pics it seems like something the T3 would have, the T1 seems to have a "normal" aero seatpost
Old 08-20-12, 09:36 PM
MuppetMower

Bikes: IRO Mark V

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can flip the seatpost around to change the setback I believe. Its like that for several of their track and tt bikes.
Edit: there are not two different frames.
Old 08-21-12, 07:34 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by 8bits
Carleton,

Cervelo gives 2 geometries based on seat tube angle, do you understand whats that about?
https://www.cervelo.com/en_us/bikes/2011/T1/geometry/

Do they mean that there's 2 types of T1's based on seat tube geometry?
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
The seat can be placed in two different positions (as shown in the diagram), resulting in differences in geo.

/notcarleton
+1

Damn I'll email Cervelo cause seeing the pics it seems like something the T3 would have, the T1 seems to have a "normal" aero seatpost
The T1 has an optional adjustable seatpost like the T3: https://forums.cervelo.com/forums/p/9796/67954.aspx

Apparently this guy works at Cervelo and commented in the thread:

I am from Cervélo AND I am a T1 owner. The stock post is the single position post which gives you the 73 degree effective seat tube angle. The second position can be attained with the post that Hutch has pointed out or the two position post from your P2K. It can also be ordered through an authorized Cervélo retailer. We don't spec this post as it will put many saddles in an illegal position for UCI racing.

Thanks,

David Byer, Cervélo
So, the forward position is obtained via the optional seatpost. The stock T1 comes with the regular, non-adjustable seatpost which puts the seat tube at 73 degrees...which is normal for a track bike.
Old 08-21-12, 07:40 AM
carleton
Elitist

For what it's worth, using the forward position at 76 degrees doesn't necessarily make it illegal. My custom Tiemeyer has a 76 degree seat tube angle and it's legal with normal saddles. But, my bike is a 58cm. It may be illegal with smaller sizes like 55cm.
Old 08-21-12, 07:42 AM
8bits

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
you sir, is awesome!

btw that kind of seatpost tech is interesting, do other brands do this "gimmick"? Does it really make a difference for different type of races?
Old 08-21-12, 07:57 AM
carleton
Elitist

you sir, is awesome!

btw that kind of seatpost tech is interesting, do other brands do this "gimmick"? Does it really make a difference for different type of races?
It's not really a gimmick. Many Time Trial riders do like super-forward seatposts. Cervelo is a company that serves that community, even with their mid-level track frame (as well as their high-end frame). The Felt TK1 (also a track TT bike) used to come with 2 seatposts originally, one back and one forward. Then it came with with a topper made by Ritchey that sat on rails so you can slide the clamp forward/backward as well as moving the saddle on it's rails for the same effect.

Now they use a non forward/backward adjustable 3T topper.

Most bike companies that make track bikes don't bother. They just make standard seatposts and normal angles to appeal to the masses. It's cool that Cervelo does this on a mid-level frame.
Old 08-21-12, 10:17 PM
JesusBananas
Banana-tastic!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
For what it's worth, using the forward position at 76 degrees doesn't necessarily make it illegal. My custom Tiemeyer has a 76 degree seat tube angle and it's legal with normal saddles. But, my bike is a 58cm. It may be illegal with smaller sizes like 55cm.
Why is seat tube angle restricted? Does it affect power output? Aeroness? Safety?

I found this thing, but it didn't really explain the rationale behind the seat tube angle rule: https://www.usacycling.org/forms/uci/...egulations.pdf
Old 08-21-12, 10:23 PM
Nagrom_
Fixie Infamous

Bikes: 2007 CAAD Optimo Track, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 1996 GT Force restomod, 2015 Cannondale CAADX

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JesusBananas
Why is seat tube angle restricted? Does it affect power output? Aeroness? Safety?

I found this thing, but it didn't really explain the rationale behind the seat tube angle rule: https://www.usacycling.org/forms/uci/...egulations.pdf
I don't believe there is a seat post angle regulation, but rather a saddle setback regulation. Having steeper than usual angles causes it to be impossible to have a saddle behind the bottom bracket, therefore being illegal.

/notcarleton.
Old 08-22-12, 12:41 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Nagrom_
I don't believe there is a seat post angle regulation, but rather a saddle setback regulation. Having steeper than usual angles causes it to be impossible to have a saddle behind the bottom bracket, therefore being illegal.

/notcarleton.
Exactly.

For most track events, the saddle must be 5cm or more behind a vertical line from the center of the BB*. So, an aggressive seat tube angle (really forward) may push the saddle into that 5cm violation area.

*There are exceptions to this rule. Generally for shorter racers. But, you have to get a pass called an anthropomorphic exemption or exception (I can't recall the exact term).
Old 08-22-12, 07:10 AM
8bits

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Did this rule really was invented out of spite for Graeme Obree? I remember from this scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...8jUdt0#t=4190s

or does it have a theory behind it?
Old 08-22-12, 08:48 AM
carleton
Elitist

Did this rule really was invented out of spite for Graeme Obree? I remember from this scene:

I'm not familiar with the rationale. I don't think anyone knows why.

This is just as arbitrary as the "bikes must be under 15lbs" rule. Years ago when people were making super light bikes, the UCI figured that to keep them from being too flimsy and therefore unsafe, they would require that they be 15lbs. So, if you are 230lbs or 130lbs, your bike cannot weigh less than 15lbs.
Old 08-22-12, 10:58 AM
Nagrom_
Fixie Infamous

Bikes: 2007 CAAD Optimo Track, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 1996 GT Force restomod, 2015 Cannondale CAADX

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
From what I've heard, the saddle setback regulation has to do with the amount of force you can generate. Something about being in front of the bottom bracket, or within 5cm gives you an unfair advantage. I don't know the specifics but it makes some sense to me at least.

/notcarletonagain
Old 08-22-12, 10:59 AM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
So, if you are 230lbs or 130lbs, your bike cannot weigh less than 15lbs.
A woman was at the co-op last night with a 43cm Pinarello ROKH w/ Force that weighed in at 20lbs. crazy. Where is all that weight coming from when my generic AL frame with old 105 was around 22/23lbs.

Originally Posted by Nagrom_
From what I've heard, the saddle setback regulation has to do with the amount of force you can generate. Something about being in front of the bottom bracket, or within 5cm gives you an unfair advantage. I don't know the specifics but it makes some sense to me at least.
This is why racer sit on the nose of the saddle during TTs. I think high end triathalon bikes go all out with the steep seat tube angles since they arent as regulated.

Last edited by hairnet; 08-22-12 at 11:03 AM.
Old 08-22-12, 12:59 PM
mjf595

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Going to have to watch that later!

But from the few minutes I watched so far, all I get from it is "We hate poor people"
Old 09-05-12, 09:13 PM
TheRealFaux

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UCIBicycleRegulations
The lowest part of the bars must also be higher than the top of the wheels.
Does this include or exclude the tire? Is the tire included as part of the wheel?
Old 09-05-12, 09:17 PM
Nagrom_
Fixie Infamous

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TheRealFaux
Does this include or exclude the tire? Is the tire included as part of the wheel?
It includes the tire.

/notmrbanks
Old 09-05-12, 09:52 PM
Kayce

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bike is weighed completly built, just as it will be raced. I have heard stories of people having to tape fishing weights to the inside of their seatposts to get their bike weighed right.

Sit around the track with an experienced rider and you will hear some great cheat to win stories.
Old 09-11-12, 12:24 PM
8bits

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Carleton,

Have you tried the track specific Speedplay? If so can you give your insight of how do they compare to something like the shimano spd-sl line (I know that you've tried some of these shimanos).
Old 09-11-12, 01:16 PM
carleton
Elitist

Carleton,

Have you tried the track specific Speedplay? If so can you give your insight of how do they compare to something like the shimano spd-sl line (I know that you've tried some of these shimanos).
Yeah, I tried them back in 2009. They use the same cleat as the standard Zero. The difference is that the ramp that ejects the C-clip in the cleat off of the pedal is steeper, so it take mabe 1/3 more force to unclip.

I've found that the tension on SPD-SL pedals can be turned up much higher than the Speedplay Track Specials.

I rode/raced Speedplay Track Specials in 2009. In 2010 I switched to Shimano SPD-SL and never looked back. I even demo-ed some LOOK KEO 2 Max pedals and the max release tension of the SPD-SLs is much higher.

BUT, to put things into perspective, I'm a big guy with big legs. Release tension is relative to the rider's size. What is normal for me is hard for lighter riders. For example, I once tuned up the bike of a 130lb female friend, and in doing so I (incorrectly) determined that her pedal release tension was too low. So, I tightened it to what felt comfortable for me. I dropped off the bike and she calls me later saying that the pedals were ridiculously tight.
Old 09-11-12, 01:38 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Kayce
The bike is weighed completly built, just as it will be raced. I have heard stories of people having to tape fishing weights to the inside of their seatposts to get their bike weighed right.

Sit around the track with an experienced rider and you will hear some great cheat to win stories.
Yes.

Even though this is a rule for any UCI or USA Cycling event, it's rarely enforced outside of National or International level events. I've raced a few National events.

Basically, 15-30 minutes before each event, the rider is required to bring his/her bike to Bike Check. There an official measures the dimensions and checks the weight to make sure that it is legal. Then the bike is quarantined until the race starts and you are marked off the list as having been checked. The bike is put on a bike rack where you can't go fiddle with it...unless you bring it back through Bike Check again.

I've heard similar stories of bikes not being 15 lbs and having large allen wrenches taped to the tubing to make weight. I've even heard of one athlete installing SRM Power Meter cranks (which are heavier than normal cranks) but not using the computer just to make the bike weigh enough. This usually only happens with the x-small bikes (48-52cm) for the ladies.

It's an antiquated rule. Basically, in the 90s people where going crazing making their bikes lighter. They were drilling and shaving everything making things flimsy and dangerous. So, the only way the UCI could "control" this was to make a minimum weight requirement so that there would be no incentive to do this. Now that it's 20 years later and materials are so much more advanced, the old rule is still in place. Carbon today is MUCH stronger than Carbon from 20 years ago. The technology has evolved. The rule should evolve, too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.