Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How can a $14,000 bicycle possibly be worth the money?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How can a $14,000 bicycle possibly be worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-23, 06:42 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Really? You mean they don't actually explode?
No, they implode.
Old 01-20-23, 06:44 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
SS requires a different approach and different strategy when attacking hills, you can't just sit in the saddle and expect to climb a hill like you would on a bike with granny gear...I fully understand that SS riding is not for everybody ( you either love it or you hate it ) and i would never tell anybody to follow what I do. SS may not be optimal for some terrain but to say that it's no good for climbing and it makes your knees explode is just BS. The problem with a lot of people who ride SS is that they running a gear ratio which is way to high, it's no wonder that they're having problems...BTW majority of complaints about knee problems here on bikeforums comes from people on multi geared bikes and not SS bikes, weird.
I should probably start out by being clear that I'm agreeing with you because that almost never happens.

SS is great for the people it's great for. Whenever the issue of knees comes up, people always start posting as if self-selection is not a real thing. For example, I get asked why if bicycling isn't rough on the knees, why do so many cyclists develop knee problems? Totally ignores the fact that people with bad joints generally are going to prefer bicycling as a fitness activity over running, etc. I got into bicycling very young because I have bad ankles and it doesn't stress them.
Old 01-20-23, 06:44 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

BTW majority of complaints about knee problems here on bikeforums comes from people on multi geared bikes and not SS bikes, weird.
Maybe that's one reason why we ride multi-geared bikes. Don't put the cart before the horse.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 01-20-23, 06:46 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,489 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
​​​​​​Wrong how? Statistically, there's no relationship between gear choice and knee injury. On the individual level? They're a better judge of their own pain than statistics.

Way too much generalization from anecdote on this subject. Where I feel I need to object is when people start telling others that their preferred gearing is going to blow out their knees. I've been on the receiving end of this sort of "advice" a lot, and it's really annoying.
It's great that pushing big gears works for you...I myself prefer to ride lower gear and spin more. With SS I need a gear ratio which allows me to climb some hills and still be able to maintain a reasonable pace when on the flats or riding against the wind. My cruising speed on the flats is compromised but I can live with that, I am in no rush to get anywhere.
Old 01-20-23, 06:47 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4492 Post(s)
Liked 4,964 Times in 3,069 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
Maybe that's one reason why we ride multi-geared bikes. Don't put the cart before the horse.
The main reason is because multi-geared bikes are easier to ride and faster over mixed terrain.
Old 01-20-23, 06:49 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

I get asked why if bicycling isn't rough on the knees, why do so many cyclists develop knee problems? Totally ignores the fact that people with bad joints generally are going to prefer bicycling as a fitness activity over running, etc. I got into bicycling very young because I have bad ankles and it doesn't stress them.
I have known a few cyclists who used to be runners, but took up cycling because their knees were shot after years of running.
Old 01-20-23, 06:51 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by PeteHski
That's fine then. But you are putting more stress on your knees, without a doubt. It may or may not cause you problems later on - but the increased stress is real. One of my skiing buddies was as strong as an ox, but eventually wore out his knees and had to have both replaced in his late 60s. I'm trying to avoid that scenario as best I can and that includes riding a generally higher cadence - which has loads of other benefits apart from reducing knee stress.
This is the classic reasoning from anecdote fallacy. You have no way of knowing whether your friend would have developed knee problems if he had never skied at all. I'm not telling you that your knees can and should be able to handle the stress, but don't tell other people that it's dangerous because there's absolutely no systematic proof that it is.

I'm not going into a one true cadence argument here. That's another damn rabbit hole.
Old 01-20-23, 06:52 AM
wolfchild
Banned

So what's causing their knee problems ?.Is it genetic ?.. Is it the result of some old injury ?....Did they have knee pain before they started cycling ?....or did they start getting knee problems after they started cycling ?...If people are having knee issues on multi geared bikes, then it's obvious that SS is not the cause and multi geared bikes don't seem to solve that particular problem.
Old 01-20-23, 06:58 AM
wolfchild
Banned

One of my skiing buddies was as strong as an ox, but eventually wore out his knees and had to have both replaced in his late 60s..
Which activity wore out his knees ? Was is skiing or was it cycling ?..Was he a runner, did he do heavy squats ?.... What's the cause ?
Old 01-20-23, 07:02 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7666 Post(s)
Liked 3,530 Times in 1,857 Posts
Maybe if you had bought $14,000 knees ......
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 01-20-23, 07:04 AM
PeteHski

Which activity wore out his knees ? Was is skiing or was it cycling ?..Was he a runner, did he do heavy squats ?.... What's the cause ?
It was the accumulated load cycle over time that simply wore them out eventually. Simple as that
Old 01-20-23, 07:06 AM
PeteHski

This is the classic reasoning from anecdote fallacy. You have no way of knowing whether your friend would have developed knee problems if he had never skied at all. I'm not telling you that your knees can and should be able to handle the stress, but don't tell other people that it's dangerous because there's absolutely no systematic proof that it is.

I'm not going into a one true cadence argument here. That's another damn rabbit hole.
I'm merely stating that you are putting more stress on your knees for the same power at low cadence. That is a fact, not an anecdote. Read it again.
Old 01-20-23, 07:14 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

So what's causing their knee problems ?.Is it genetic ?.. Is it the result of some old injury ?....Did they have knee pain before they started cycling ?....or did they start getting knee problems after they started cycling ?.
Exactly my point. The answer here is a big "it depends". As one poster in this thread wisely said, your knees aren't my knees.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 01-20-23, 07:15 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Maybe if you had bought $14,000 knees ......
Is there any evidence that $14,000 knees will wear out any slower than Huffy knees?
Likes For Lombard:
Old 01-20-23, 07:16 AM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 140 Posts
I have known a few cyclists who used to be runners, but took up cycling because their knees we
re shot after years of running.
I'm one of these people.
Old 01-20-23, 07:17 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by Outrider1
I'm one of these people.
And I'm pretty sure at this point you don't ride SS bikes. Am I right?
Old 01-20-23, 07:43 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Ah, but would Peter Sagan actually want to be riding a crappy bike?
Who knows, maybe he would just to prove that it's more about the rider than a bike.
Old 01-20-23, 07:48 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I'm merely stating that you are putting more stress on your knees for the same power at low cadence. That is a fact, not an anecdote. Read it again.

It's a trivially true "fact" you coupled with an anecdote. Knees are joints evolved to handle the rather intense stress placed on them from bipedal locomotion. Any time you walk down a flight of stairs, you put "more stress" on your knees. You drew a connection between that and your friend's knee injuries, and that anecdote appeared to be the focus of your post. If it's not, why did you even mention your friend at all? He wasn't even bicycling, so it obviously had nothing to do with your "fact" about power at low cadence.

I'm obviously aware that I am placing more stress throughout my legs--that's why it's resistance training.

Please don't offer your opinion of what I'm doing if you don't want an argument. I've taken enough hypocritical crap from you about being argumentative to last a lifetime.
Old 01-20-23, 07:51 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

It's great that pushing big gears works for you...I myself prefer to ride lower gear and spin more. With SS I need a gear ratio which allows me to climb some hills and still be able to maintain a reasonable pace when on the flats or riding against the wind. My cruising speed on the flats is compromised but I can live with that, I am in no rush to get anywhere.

As long as neither of us feels a need to convert the other, that difference is fine. Like you said, we're not advocating that anyone do as we do, just objecting to the general "you'll blow your knees out" crap that gets thrown at us.
Old 01-20-23, 07:56 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3253 Post(s)
Liked 2,541 Times in 1,521 Posts
  • I'm a former basketball player that took up endurance sports because of Plantar Fasciitis. The knees were in OK shape before the switch. Is that important to the discussion of 14k bikes being worth it?
Old 01-20-23, 08:02 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by seypat
  • I'm a former basketball player that took up endurance sports because of Plantar Fasciitis. The knees were in OK shape before the switch. Is that important to the discussion of 14k bikes being worth it?

I guess it might be relevant to the discussion of which $14k bike you might buy. Or not.

Lame OP topic leads to terminal thread drift.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-20-23, 08:11 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2525 Post(s)
Liked 3,010 Times in 1,712 Posts
Knees exploding from riding SS is gross exaggeration...I've been riding FG and SS for 15 years straight ( no multi geared bikes ) and absolutely no knee issues.
I've been riding fixed gear (no SS for me) since I was 13, in 1964, and I only ever had twinges of discomfort in my knees until the last 6 months. Now the pain in both knees is unignorable when I attempt to grind my way up hills. I've been forced to ride only my 21-speed utility bike ever since.

Told myself when I was in my 40s that I should quit fixed gear when I hit 50. Now, 22 years later, I'm sorry I didn't follow through back then. What can I say, though? I'm an addict.

[Edit:] Read a few of the speculative posts concerning knee pain above this post. In my case, the knee pain definitely resulted from fixed-gear riding. Bike riding is my only exercise. No stretching, no weights, no running. Monoathlete.

No walking, either, if I can help it. I ride my bike to pick up Chinese carry-out. The restaurant is one block away.

Last edited by Trakhak; 01-20-23 at 08:17 AM.
Old 01-20-23, 08:26 AM
PeteHski

It's a trivially true "fact" you coupled with an anecdote. Knees are joints evolved to handle the rather intense stress placed on them from bipedal locomotion. Any time you walk down a flight of stairs, you put "more stress" on your knees. You drew a connection between that and your friend's knee injuries, and that anecdote appeared to be the focus of your post. If it's not, why did you even mention your friend at all? He wasn't even bicycling, so it obviously had nothing to do with your "fact" about power at low cadence.

I'm obviously aware that I am placing more stress throughout my legs--that's why it's resistance training.

Please don't offer your opinion of what I'm doing if you don't want an argument. I've taken enough hypocritical crap from you about being argumentative to last a lifetime.
What you are doing is putting more repetitive cyclic stress on your knees. Let's forget all about anecdotes then if you prefer and stick to simple facts.
Old 01-20-23, 08:30 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by Trakhak
I've been riding fixed gear (no SS for me) since I was 13, in 1964, and I only ever had twinges of discomfort in my knees until the last 6 months. Now the pain in both knees is unignorable when I attempt to grind my way up hills. I've been forced to ride only my 21-speed utility bike ever since.

Told myself when I was in my 40s that I should quit fixed gear when I hit 50. Now, 22 years later, I'm sorry I didn't follow through back then. What can I say, though? I'm an addict.

[Edit:] Read a few of the speculative posts concerning knee pain above this post. In my case, the knee pain definitely resulted from fixed-gear riding. Bike riding is my only exercise. No stretching, no weights, no running. Monoathlete.

No walking, either, if I can help it. I ride my bike to pick up Chinese carry-out. The restaurant is one block away.
How do you explain cyclists who have never even rode a fixed gear or singlespeed bike in their whole life, and who still end up with knee problems and some even need knee replacement ?..
Old 01-20-23, 08:36 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 2,490 Times in 1,462 Posts
Moderation note: The thread topic is about the high cost of bikes and not knees. Please return to topic. Thank you.
Likes For Hermes:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.