Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vincitore! Vincitore! Cena di Pollo!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Vincitore! Vincitore! Cena di Pollo!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-22, 03:37 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
Is that the original paint with just a clear layer that you added? It looks good, but I know online pictures are often kind to slightly flawed paint.
Yes, it's the original from 1983. When I got the frame a few years ago, the paint was rough to the touch, but I spent a lot of time gently wet sanding until it was smooth and revealed a little sparkle. Then, I used Humbrol Clear, more or less following the documented procedure another BF member had used for his Holdsworth. It's ok, but not as good as a 2x clear (but also not nearly as toxic to apply). I like that it doesn't look perfect, but I might want to repaint it sometime. It's a great rider, however it looks.
Old 11-21-22, 04:33 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,870 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
Been loving the Mercian pics and discussion. Just wanted to ask about the subject line, which I find very clever. The English translation ("WWCD") is a phrase I never heard growing up, until (I think) when I moved to Seattle in the late '70s. Is it a regional thing or more widespread? Maybe I just needed to get out more? Anyway you know it's true because it rhymes.

Ah, a brief googlage reveals it is thought to have started in the Great Depression, pssibly among gamblers.
Yeah, I was surprised to learn that the origin of the phrase was so old. I don't remember hearing it a lot growing up, and I think it's gotten more common in popular usage recently. I think Guy Fieri uses it a lot on the Food Network.
Old 11-21-22, 04:55 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by bulgie
+1 on sending it to Mercian for it's new suit of clothes. Shipping is high now but the painting will be excellent and cheap, especially now with the strong dollar.
I always wanted a barber-pole seat tube.
I just looked at their price list. They are quite reasonable, though it adds up quickly with all the masking and contrasting bands and whatnot. It still might be a competitive price even with shipping costs. I'll have to consider it.
Old 11-22-22, 03:32 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,391 Times in 3,675 Posts
I just looked at their price list. They are quite reasonable, though it adds up quickly with all the masking and contrasting bands and whatnot. It still might be a competitive price even with shipping costs. I'll have to consider it.
Another fantastic plan.
Old 11-22-22, 04:56 AM
Vonruden

Bikes: Looking for a Baylis or Wizard in 59-62cm range

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 115 Posts
Beautiful! I’ve been on the search for a 61-62cm Vincitore for quite a while. Following this thread.
Old 11-22-22, 09:53 AM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 179 Posts
I wasn't looking for a Mercian either until this came along on eBay for cheap. The size was it's number one attribute, but I liked the color too. Even though the paint is not the greatest I plan on keeping it as long as it's relatively shiny. I think it's the same as yours.

I have always been a chrome lug fan, but those are in another league.

Old 11-22-22, 10:49 AM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 932 Post(s)
Liked 1,319 Times in 491 Posts
Perhaps it's time to take a vacation to England, with a bike frame in your luggage. The Yorkshire Dales and Peak District are close to Mercian, very beautiful and great for cycling.
Likes For davester:
Old 11-22-22, 03:29 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

catalogue pages of 1978

courtesy of bulgier.net and member bulgie

​​​​​​
​​​​​​

-----
Old 01-02-23, 12:05 AM
Andy_K 

I got the bike on the road for the first time today. Many corners were cut in order to produce the first build in time for the first dry day after I bought it. This will be a beautiful bike again someday soon. Today was not that day.

I really enjoyed the ride. The bike felt particularly stiff/solid when cornering and accelerating. I'm a little bit worried that the threadless stem (with adapter) and oversized handlebars contributed to that. I'd really hate for that to be the case because they're terribly ugly. Useful for dialing in the fit though. I've read that threadless stems and oversized handlebars are stiffer. I never thought it would be something I'd actually notice, so I'm still hoping that had more to do with the frame.

I borrowed the wheels from my Bianchi since it had the cassette I needed for these shifters. I plan to build another set like this. The derailleurs, shifters, and brakes will also stay, but everything else is just temporary. Especially the hideous Cinelli bar tape. With all due respect to the artist who collaborated with them on this, I can't imagine what they were thinking. On the other hand, I don't throw away unbroken bar tape precisely because it's useful for temporary builds like this, so I've had this tape since it came on a bike I bought a couple of years ago.

The fenders are mismatched because the front fender that would have matched the rear didn't leave enough room for the brake. The front fender is pretty skinny, so I don't think I'll be putting fenders on this in the long run. Roads were wet today, so I wanted to try them.