Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Forget the tubing: The master builders, hidden gems, and underappreciated marquees

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Forget the tubing: The master builders, hidden gems, and underappreciated marquees

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-12, 06:31 PM
VeloBrox

Bikes: 1951 Armand Carlsen, 1969 DBS Deluxe, 1949 Diamant, 1978 DBS Winner Tandem, 1955 Herkules... to infinity and beyond!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
That's some daym fine lug filing on the Patelli! Would never have guessed that it is a '60s bike.
Old 10-08-12, 05:01 AM
Veloh

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Missed out on a basket-case Marnati. Still disappointed.
Old 10-08-12, 05:20 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Veloh
Missed out on a basket-case Marnati. Still disappointed.
Then buy a nice one.

Been sitting on the Philly CL for quite a while.

Looks like a very nice example too, but I wish it were a little larger.

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bik/3278506811.html

Old 10-08-12, 05:20 AM
JohnnyBee

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bill Stevenson of Washington. Builds one - off frames. Each frame is truly unique and a work of art.

Johnnybee.
Old 10-08-12, 10:56 AM
kc0yef 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnnyBee
Bill Stevenson of Washington. Builds one - off frames. Each frame is truly unique and a work of art.
Johnnybee.
+100 "Bill Stevenson is known as somewhat of a journeyman in the cycle industry, having worked for Ross Bicycles, Fisher, MS Racing, alpinestars and Ballistic. He now designs and builds custom road frames, utilizing steel tubing and fillet brazing. An American frame building magazine described him as ‘the greatest unknown frame builder’. " He has won several awards for his tandems also.. and he builds 2x11 mtb single speeds does great frame repair here is that article about Bill "The best frame builder you never heard about" https://assets.seattlepub.com:8020/Su...Issues/1997-03
an example of one of Bill's bikes https://www.flickr.com/photos/andromedaphoto/3725109768/ and another in the raw https://www.flickr.com/photos/androme...256103/detail/

and Corey Thompson also in the same shop as Bill.
https://www.cycleexif.com/thompson-custom-bicycles
Old 10-08-12, 12:49 PM
KvltBryce
- Bikes Not Bombs -

Bikes: 1986 LOOK KG86, 19XX Les Ephgrave?, 1983 Nishiki Royal, 199X Nukeproof MTB, 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AZORCH
Not to mention "marquis." Or Marky Mark.

Old 10-08-12, 12:56 PM
Veloh

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gomango
Then buy a nice one.

Been sitting on the Philly CL for quite a while.

Looks like a very nice example too, but I wish it were a little larger.

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bik/3278506811.html

Beautiful Daniele Marnati. However, the one that got by was possibly an Umberto Marnati, his father...
Old 10-08-12, 02:23 PM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I'm going to put in my latest aquisition, a Fabio Barecci.

I bought this frame on a whim, mostly because the paint reminded me a of a Colnago Master, of which I'm not tryng to compare. But besides the nice paint, I've been pleasantly surprised by the nice touches on the frame like internal cabling with nice crown style entry, embossed fork crown, windows on the lugs, which I will someday paint in, and two shifter cable guides on the head tube. Now, having ridden it for a month, I can say this is one great riding bike to. It tracks very nicely, with predictable turn-ins, and it feels solid and planted, never twitchy.

I know nothing about who Fabio Barecci was or is. Unfortunately, there is no information to be had on the web about him, so he will likely remain a mystery. Might be a great artisan, or he might be a half-a-bum that never really made it, who knows? But apparently this bike was sold by BH Bikes of Spain. I even contacted them, with no reply. This could very well be the only one in the States, as I've only seen two other examples, both in Spain. A Spaniard would likely know something about this bike. Any Spaniards in the house?

Old 10-08-12, 06:37 PM
peter_d
self propelled lifer

Bikes: 1962 Dawes Galaxy; 72 Gitane Interclub;73 Peugeot PR10;78 Torpado Luxe;73 Grandis; 81 Raleigh/Carlton Comp; 85 Bianchi Stelvio; 87 Bianchi Brava; 73 Bottechia Special; 1969 or70 Bob Jackson

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I was fortunate enough to buy an early 70's Grandis frame and fork which was cosmetically challenged but rust free. I took it down to bare metal and the workmanship was flawless but for a slight defect in the rear brake bridge. The bike rides as you would expect and weighs in at under 20lbs. When the Italians got it right they really got it right. However my early 80's Carlton built Raleigh Competition is very close in ride quality.
Old 10-08-12, 07:06 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Photos of the Grandis por favor.
Old 10-08-12, 09:10 PM
flash2070

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
I've had two Tommasinis, two Colnagos, One Rossin, One Romani, and just a week ago I acquired a Basso Gap. In my humble opinion, the Basso is the best of them all. Again in my humble opinion! Here it is! I got it with a repainted tt, but aside from that the bike is in excellent condition, but the exceptional quality of the ride is what has won me over.

Flash
Old 10-08-12, 09:21 PM
KvltBryce
- Bikes Not Bombs -

Bikes: 1986 LOOK KG86, 19XX Les Ephgrave?, 1983 Nishiki Royal, 199X Nukeproof MTB, 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Not quite C&V. Not quite underrated. But OH MYYYY GAWD
Master Builder for sure.
Just wish it wasn't a track bike...

Old 10-09-12, 01:05 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Captain Blight
Centurion LeMans, pre-'83.
Having been born in '60, when I was in my mid- to late-teens, I remember being in love with this model and wanting to buy one myself but upcoming university expenses forced me to save my money.
Old 10-09-12, 01:12 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
In this forum, there are many photos of beautiful bikes with the stickers/decals intact and unblemished, unscratched and unpeeling whereas the Bianchi Strada LX I bought last week has scratches on the paint, rusted bolts/nuts and peeling labels. I don't regret the buy ($150, plus another $150 to get it rideable with tires, tubes and brake pads) but I am wondering how you guys manage to find such unblemished bikes maybe not all of them but the good ones like these, especially when some of you seem to find them in yard sales, dumps, etc.
Old 10-09-12, 01:50 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
I do not know what tubing was used when Ron Cooper built my road bike back in the mid seventies save for it being butted with a 27.2 seat post... it could be Reynolds or Columbus or a mix of many different tubes.

What makes this bike phenomenal in every respect is the man who built it.

Comes to our shop and we do not get too hung up on tubing stickers... if you ask for a bicycle with specific ride and handling qualities the tubing we use has very little to do with this although we do use very high grades of tubing and have a good deal of it custom drawn.

My Garlatti is a beautifully chromed bit of Italian / bike boom / high tensile steel... besides bicycles they made farm implements and do not know if their farm implements are nearly as nice as their bicycles.

It is a wonderful bike to ride and much like a Peugeot UO8 save for it being Italian instead of French... it has that classic laid back geometry that lends itself to being a very comfortable ride all day and when the hill points up or down it handles that extremely well.
Old 10-09-12, 05:53 AM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jrickards
In this forum, there are many photos of beautiful bikes with the stickers/decals intact and unblemished, unscratched and unpeeling whereas the Bianchi Strada LX I bought last week has scratches on the paint, rusted bolts/nuts and peeling labels. I don't regret the buy ($150, plus another $150 to get it rideable with tires, tubes and brake pads) but I am wondering how you guys manage to find such unblemished bikes maybe not all of them but the good ones like these, especially when some of you seem to find them in yard sales, dumps, etc.
Some of us have been doing this for years. You do not find primo vintage bikes on a daily basis. It helps to talk to people; over the years I have built up a small network of people who call me when they see something interesting. That is how I found the Bonanno pictured earlier in the thread.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Old 10-09-12, 06:08 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by jrickards
1. Be willing to spend money. Finding a high end bike in good shape at a cheap price, AND IN YOUR SIZE does happen, but not often. Those bikes are also typically gone FAST, regardless of venue.

2. Don't believe everything people tell you about what they've paid for something.

3. I think most of the really nice stuff happens at yard sales and estate sales...it takes a LOT of work to find it and you have to really be committed. You also have to know about more than just bikes, because most of the time there isn't going to be a bike worth having at all. To make it worthwhile you have to know about furniture, art, etc.

Finding stuff at a dump, or being thrown out, does happen, but it isn't the norm. In a LOT of years I've only ever found 3 bikes that were trash picks and worth saving. I also haven't looked that hard or gone garbage surfing and dumpster diving. Most folks here buy on eBay and Craigslist...and don't be deceived, the nicer stuff does cost money. I'd rather spend a little and get to enjoy something than waiting around perpetually for the score of a life time. You're either going to spend energy and time or cash...over all, cash can be easier.
Old 10-09-12, 07:32 AM
tmh657

Bikes: A few BSO's.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
I have been wanting to try a Oria or True Temper tube machine lately. I think Geurciotti used some Oria.
I had a Pinarello with Oria ML25 tubing. A nice rider, very solid feel while descending. I compare it to a Miyata STB tubed bike. The decals and paint were absolutely done so I let it go but would like another Pinny someday. With decals maybe
Old 10-09-12, 08:08 AM
Zoku620

Bikes: 81 Ross T.K., 89 Merlin mtn.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

1981 Ross Signature. I've posted pics of this bike before, but if ever there was a bike that garners little respect from the unwashed masses...

Hard to find these, I've only ever seen pics of three, and this is the only one I've seen in person, although I think 250-300 were made. If any one else does have one, they will confirm the real beauty is the ride, supple yet stiff, relaxed and responsive, truly excellent. And before someone asks "who's signature"..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_5194.jpg (101.5 KB, 76 views)
100_5187.jpg (91.6 KB, 63 views)
100_5188.jpg (88.4 KB, 64 views)
100_5197.jpg (91.3 KB, 67 views)
100_5192.jpg (91.9 KB, 63 views)
100_5195.jpg (92.3 KB, 64 views)
Old 10-09-12, 08:18 AM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

^^ This thread seems designed to give KAS various agonies.

Old 10-09-12, 08:20 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by Poguemahone
^^ This thread seems designed to give KAS various agonies.
Seriously. I don't regret missing many bikes, but this thread has raised the ghost of two. The other was a pink Lotus aero model.
Old 10-09-12, 08:38 AM
Zoku620

Bikes: 81 Ross T.K., 89 Merlin mtn.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's a little salt for your wound - bought on Ebay (2 yrs now) for $350 + $80 shipping, I was only bidder. Had mix of 600 tricolor and crap, not D/A as now. I had (from new, 1985) Grandis for many years, sold awhile back in Philly, was 60cm Orange, this thing makes that bike feel like a garbage truck.
Old 10-09-12, 08:42 AM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

^^^ you're mean. Poor KAS.

Great bike, about the only one I'm actually looking for. Even the production Signatures are very nice...

Old 10-09-12, 08:48 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Ehhhhhh - I have some other things to console myself with; you can't get them all (but you can try!).

The Tom Kellogg Ross was one I really wish I had attacked harder.
Old 10-09-12, 12:09 PM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by flash2070
I've had two Tommasinis, two Colnagos, One Rossin, One Romani, and just a week ago I acquired a Basso Gap. In my humble opinion, the Basso is the best of them all. Again in my humble opinion! Here it is! I got it with a repainted tt, but aside from that the bike is in excellent condition, but the exceptional quality of the ride is what has won me over.
I remember when you posted this bike, and I mentioned don't worry about the paint, just ride it and your going to love it. I guess I was right on that one! I ride one myself, so I know how nice a rider these Basso Gaps really are...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.