Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

New Bike Day - Colnago Elegant

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

New Bike Day - Colnago Elegant

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-23, 08:02 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Originally Posted by MooneyBloke
I had those Ciussis for a season on my Mooneys. I found they were good at launching bottles at inconvenient times. My Mooneys now sport King Stainless cages that I polished up a bit more. Those bottles now don't go anywhere unless I grab them.

If I find all the Cuissis (should be four of them), I might put them up here or on evilbay.
That's a shame as I always liked the looks of those Ciussis (have King Iris on all my riders), and have a set that I'd saved for when I build up a frameset that I have that's about the same color as that "copper" disk in them.

Old 10-13-23, 08:50 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
I had a Ciussi break on me during a ride. I was working with a shop that was able to weld it back together. I like them anyway.
Old 10-13-23, 10:00 AM
Sactown_Albert 

Bikes: 2017 Sage Skyline, 2015 Co-Motion Periscope Tandem, 2012 Soma Smoothie, 2006 Kona Jake, 1986 Miyata Nine Twelve, 1977 Peugeot UO18c, 1977 Peugeot PRN10, 1974 Allegro Schweitzermeister Model 76, 1972 Hugo Rickert Spezial

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 600 Times in 191 Posts
Bronze wool is softer than steel wool.

Originally Posted by merziac
I have a very good friend, world class expert painter, detailer, mech, tech, fabricator that uses .000000? steel wool on most things and they come out fantastic no matter what.

Pretty sure he has a secret "trick" that I wouldn't get, I have done some but don't trust myself so the rust remover and elbow grease is my go to.
I have had good luck with very fine bronze wool for polishing chrome without degrading it. You can order it on Amazon. I like to use it wet with a metal polishing cream. The consideration is that you don’t want to use something that is going to score or degrade the intact chrome which is why using a softer metal like a wad of aluminum foil or bronze wool is a better idea. You want the scrubbing element to be just durable enough to remove the oxide and dirt.
Old 10-13-23, 10:08 AM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 1,820 Times in 662 Posts
Franklin Family Plating St. Louis.

$60 to chrome forks
$260 todo whole bike.

I swear by them.
Old 10-13-23, 10:13 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Originally Posted by ericlowney
Resurrecting this thread as I've finally got around to looking to frame/chrome/paint repair - I emailed with Allan Wanta and he doesn't think he can get someone to redo the chrome (which is the worst part on the bike). Anyone know somewhere that can redo the chrome, roll or fill the dent, and redo the paint? I don't want to leave it as it sits, so my options I think are to either paint the entire bike any color scheme I want (including painting over the chrome), try to find someone to fully restore the chrome and repaint it, or sell it off to someone who doesn't mind the appearance... I'm probably somewhere in the vicinity of $1k in parts/materials and Allan was going to be another $450 without being able to fix the chrome.
...re-chroming is just not a viable option for me any more, here in California. I've had pretty good luck with roughing the chrome for adhesion, priming with a self etching auto primer, and painting. It's much easier to match everything if you paint the whole bike at the same time, and you can fill the dent with body putty prior to doing so. Most of the Colnago chrome I've seen eventually fails. But I've only seen a few of them in person. On the one I have here, the fork chroming was starting to fail, so I painted it to match the frame color.
Old 10-13-23, 10:34 AM
Sactown_Albert 

Bikes: 2017 Sage Skyline, 2015 Co-Motion Periscope Tandem, 2012 Soma Smoothie, 2006 Kona Jake, 1986 Miyata Nine Twelve, 1977 Peugeot UO18c, 1977 Peugeot PRN10, 1974 Allegro Schweitzermeister Model 76, 1972 Hugo Rickert Spezial

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 600 Times in 191 Posts
Chroming business reference

I have a very good friend, world class expert painter, detailer, mech, tech, fabricator that uses .000000? steel wool on most things and they come out fantastic no matter what.

Pretty sure he has a secret "trick" that I wouldn't get, I have done some but don't trust myself so the rust remover and elbow grease is my go to.
Resurrecting this thread as I've finally got around to looking to frame/chrome/paint repair - I emailed with Allan Wanta and he doesn't think he can get someone to redo the chrome (which is the worst part on the bike). Anyone know somewhere that can redo the chrome, roll or fill the dent, and redo the paint? I don't want to leave it as it sits, so my options I think are to either paint the entire bike any color scheme I want (including painting over the chrome), try to find someone to fully restore the chrome and repaint it, or sell it off to someone who doesn't mind the appearance... I'm probably somewhere in the vicinity of $1k in parts/materials and Allan was going to be another $450 without being able to fix the chrome.
Chroming has gotten more expensive but I found an outfit in St. Louis that will rechrome a fork for about $75. They did a great job on a Pinarello fork that I needed rechromed because it was beyond cleaning up with polishing. Cost $13 in each direction to ship the fork so add that to the price. In that era, it was common for forks to be chromed and for frames to be painted, so it wouldn’t be out of sorts to go this route.

Rechroming your frame is another story because of the dent in the chainstay. Easiest fix of that to smooth it would be bondo. This would be a perfectly acceptable repair if you were going to paint the frame. You could get the dent filled with solder or brazing for a more durable repair. I don’t know if that type of repair can be chromed over. If it can, maybe send them the whole frame with the fork to be rechromed and then just externally apply appropriate replacement decals and forgo painting entirely. Greg Softley at Cyclomondo has an assortment of Colnago decals and he can prepare a batch optimized for external application over chrome.

A fully chromed frame would be a head turner and it might be cost effective. Depends on whether they can chrome over a brazed repair.

https://stlplating.com is the business I used for my fork. Below are the before and after pictures of my fork.

After the rechroming. Pinarello dropouts and crown logo remained sharp and legible.

This was after extensive cleaning and repolishing. No bueno.
Likes For Sactown_Albert:
Old 10-13-23, 10:35 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
@ericlowney - looks like an option is to have the fork re-chromed for under $100 with shipping.
Old 10-13-23, 10:58 AM
ericlowney 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 22 Posts
Well that was fast, sounds like I have an solid option. I will absolutely be sending hem the fork, and I know this is sort of personal preference, but what do you all think I should do with the frame? I'm really not super partial to the purple and pink word perfect color scheme on the bike.... is it sacrilegious to just repaint it to something else (and over up to the seat stay repair)? The frame is a bit small on me (I'm maxing out the seat post for example), so the other option might be to rechrome the forks, fix that dent, and list the bike to get one slightly larger and in a more preferable color pattern. I think either way I'll get the fork chromed and the dent repaired, maybe just touch up the paint chips with nail polish if I might list it.
Old 10-13-23, 11:14 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 648 Posts
Well that was fast, sounds like I have an solid option. I will absolutely be sending hem the fork, and I know this is sort of personal preference, but what do you all think I should do with the frame? I'm really not super partial to the purple and pink word perfect color scheme on the bike.... is it sacrilegious to just repaint it to something else (and over up to the seat stay repair)? The frame is a bit small on me (I'm maxing out the seat post for example), so the other option might be to rechrome the forks, fix that dent, and list the bike to get one slightly larger and in a more preferable color pattern. I think either way I'll get the fork chromed and the dent repaired, maybe just touch up the paint chips with nail polish if I might list it.
You have a very nice bike, I would have the dent repaired and the fork rechromed.Then sell the frame alone.
Likes For georges1:
Old 10-13-23, 12:05 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,387 Times in 3,672 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
the wry comment 40 years ago was that there were no old Imron painters. Brian Baylis might be a confirmation of that view.
Yes, not many oldschool Imron painters but my friend was well aware of the danger when he started, pretty sure he never did any painting without a good respirator and escalated the precautions along the way and went beyond that. He is about 62 now and doing fine as far as we know.

Pretty sure Virginia Merz is still doing ok as well.
Old 10-14-23, 12:29 PM
MooneyBloke

Bikes: Two Peter Mooney customs, a 1980 Trek 510 townie, a Marin Stelvio set up for TTs.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 294 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
I had a Ciussi break on me during a ride. I was working with a shop that was able to weld it back together. I like them anyway.
I never meant to suggest they looked bad 'cos they don't; I just prefer a cage with a stronger hold when I hit a spot of rough pavement.
Old 10-14-23, 12:31 PM
MooneyBloke

Bikes: Two Peter Mooney customs, a 1980 Trek 510 townie, a Marin Stelvio set up for TTs.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 294 Times in 161 Posts
Yes, not many oldschool Imron painters but my friend was well aware of the danger when he started, pretty sure he never did any painting without a good respirator and escalated the precautions along the way and went beyond that. He is about 62 now and doing fine as far as we know.

Pretty sure Virginia Merz is still doing ok as well.
Isn't Joe Bell still on the planet too?

Not sure you can spray that stuff on the left coast even if you have it in inventory.

Last edited by MooneyBloke; 10-14-23 at 12:35 PM.
Old 10-14-23, 06:04 PM
Raya2

Bikes: '80's Centerion Iron Man (purchased New) , ~'91 Specialized ($50 FaceBook Find), '?? Specialized Cross roads ($20 thrift Store Find)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
that rechromed fork looks great