Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Light Bicycle Wheels

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Light Bicycle Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-19, 08:51 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by maartendc

Is Tune a reliable brand? Have not heard much about them honestly. Are they one of the lightweight German brands?
I did a little research on Tune last night, and found many complaints of creaking, and being very sensitive to bearing preload. There were also many comments about them being a "fair weather" hub.
Old 03-15-19, 09:05 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I'm looking at these LB wheels as well. I have rim brakes though, and am wondering if better off with the LB or the TSRs.. both (in my mind) are a gamble due to very little real long-term (or even short-term) review availability.
Specifically.. debating between these 2 products.. basically at the moment is a CF vs Alloy debate for me.

https://www.lightbicycle.com/U-shape...ompatible.html
vs
https://www.bike24.com/p2306399.html?q=tune+tsr
certainly understand the concern, FWIW, LB wheels have been in production for a while and have in their various incarnations been reviewed quite a bit on other forums. They have construction and reputation opinions very positive and similar to Farsports which is why I chose them over other Chinese wheel builders/brokers
Old 03-15-19, 09:13 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Right. And if they messed up copying the shape, it will take you 2 or 3 seconds longer to ride 40 km. It's not a lose your teeth kind of thing.
From the looks of this test, the LB 56mm wheels did a pretty good job designing an aero shape.

https://www.hambini.com/blog/post/bi...one-is-fastest

It's a Hambini test, so take that for what it's worth.
Old 03-15-19, 09:15 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
True, it is a question of carbon versus alloy rims, but also a question of going with a less common hub design from Tune themselves, rather than being able to choose for Bitex, Novatec, DT Swiss 350 or 240. These are much more known quantities, and you know what kind of hub quality you can expect. With limited reviews on the Tune wheels, the hub would concern me more than the rims. From a quick Google search, the Mig 170 and Mag 170 hubs are designed to be very light, but perhaps not as durable.

Also, making an alloy rim THAT light, at 35mm cross section, probably means it is not exactly what is referred to as "bomb proof". It would most likely require trueing the wheel more often if you ride on rough roads. Not sure. Kind of like the really light Kinlin 200 or 300 rims you can get on Prowheelbuilder and other custom building online stores: they are very light alloy rims, but are known to be a bit less durable than heavier versions. I think that is just the way it is: the lighter an alloy rim is, the less rigid it is.

The fact of the matter is, the Tune TSR 35 were released only in December of 2018, and it is a more niche brand, so it is logical that there would not be many / any reviews. Buying these wheels probably makes you a bit of a guinnea pig. Light Bicycle's rims have been around for longer than that.

I would trust German engineering more than Chinese engineering any day, but you cannot escape the fact that a lightweight alloy wheel is not going to be as "bullet proof" as a heavy alloy wheel. Like Others had said, it is probably a good wheelset for good weather and roads. A bit of a "race day" wheelset I guess?
Originally Posted by noodle soup
I did a little research on Tune last night, and found many complaints of creaking, and being very sensitive to bearing preload. There were also many comments about them being a "fair weather" hub.
All fair concerns and valid points. I read some of the posts out there.. Seems though to be a number of "I heard that.." type of posts or dismissal of the product based on the prior version. The WW thread is probably as good of a rundown as there seems to be available. The FWB rundown is ok.

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/f...d9e4a2b104dc7c
Hub Review - Fairwheel Bikes Blog
Old 03-15-19, 09:31 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
All fair concerns and valid points. I read some of the posts out there.. Seems though to be a number of "I heard that.." type of posts or dismissal of the product based on the prior version. The WW thread is probably as good of a rundown as there seems to be available. The FWB rundown is ok.

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/f...d9e4a2b104dc7c
Hub Review - Fairwheel Bikes Blog
I'm not saying they are a bad product, but it sounds like the typical ultra-lightweight component.

BTW, that Fairwheel Bikes blog doesn't say much about long term durability, it's more of a description of the hub itself.
Old 03-15-19, 09:41 PM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Some tire size info. The 25mm GP5000s stretched to 28.2mm on my 21mm internal wheels. Unfortunately they sustained some sidewall damage from an encounter with a pothole, so I replaced them with a set of 23mm GP4KS2s. They measure 26.1mm new, and will probably stretch to around 27mm, which should be perfect on the 28mm wide rims. I like the GP5000s, and will probably use them again in the future, but the 4Ks are cheaper and a little better fit for aero.
Old 03-15-19, 10:21 PM
deepakvrao

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
Some tire size info. The 25mm GP5000s stretched to 28.2mm on my 21mm internal wheels. Unfortunately they sustained some sidewall damage from an encounter with a pothole, so I replaced them with a set of 23mm GP4KS2s. They measure 26.1mm new, and will probably stretch to around 27mm, which should be perfect on the 28mm wide rims. I like the GP5000s, and will probably use them again in the future, but the 4Ks are cheaper and a little better fit for aero.
After repeated sidewall failures on my GP4000s years ago, I swore I would never buy Contis again. I wonder how a 25mm Schwalbe would measure on the 23mm inner rim.
Old 03-16-19, 07:29 AM
Rides4Beer

Originally Posted by deepakvrao
After repeated sidewall failures on my GP4000s years ago, I swore I would never buy Contis again. I wonder how a 25mm Schwalbe would measure on the 23mm inner rim.
I've had no issues with Contis, this was an impact/puncture issue with a big/sharp pothole that wasn't called out in a group ride and I didn't see it until the last second, I tried jumping it, but the rear tire caught the edge of the pothole at an odd angle and got punctured, def not any fault of the tire. Only the rear got damaged, but I'm weird about things matching, so I put on a set of GP4KS2s, and now I have a spare 25mm GP5000 with only 300 miles on it. lol
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 03-16-19, 09:05 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
I've had no issues with Contis, this was an impact/puncture issue with a big/sharp pothole that wasn't called out in a group ride and I didn't see it until the last second, I tried jumping it, but the rear tire caught the edge of the pothole at an odd angle and got punctured, def not any fault of the tire. Only the rear got damaged, but I'm weird about things matching, so I put on a set of GP4KS2s, and now I have a spare 25mm GP5000 with only 300 miles on it. lol
funnily I never saw or felt what people liked about the conti 4k’s that everyone else did when I rode clinchers. They didn’t last any longer than my other tires and felt kinda dead for me. The last set of clinchers I had were actually some specialized turbo’s and I really liked them. Currently I have some new conti 5000 tubeless on my LB wheels and like them very much. The grippy feeling and rolling actually feel better than the Specialized turbo tubeless I was running previously. Quite the reversal!
Old 03-16-19, 09:36 AM
Rides4Beer

Originally Posted by robbyville
funnily I never saw or felt what people liked about the conti 4k’s that everyone else did when I rode clinchers. They didn’t last any longer than my other tires and felt kinda dead for me. The last set of clinchers I had were actually some specialized turbo’s and I really liked them. Currently I have some new conti 5000 tubeless on my LB wheels and like them very much. The grippy feeling and rolling actually feel better than the Specialized turbo tubeless I was running previously. Quite the reversal!
I haven't ridden on many different tires, only other ones were Gatorskins that came on the used bike I started with, and the Vittoria tires that came stock on my Transonic. The GP4Ks were leaps and bounds better than both of those. I do think the GP5Ks are a bit better than the 4Ks, but I like the sizing of the 23mm 4Ks better on these wheels (and the price! lol).
Old 03-19-19, 08:53 AM
noodle soup

My wheelset shipped today.

18g heavier than the website projected, but still within the +-30g variance
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 03-19-19, 08:58 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Old 03-19-19, 09:00 AM
deepakvrao

Nice. Did you manage the hub change? Rather long between ordering and shipping. Mine seem to be stuck at the same 'sanding' part.
Old 03-19-19, 09:22 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
From the looks of this test, the LB 56mm wheels did a pretty good job designing an aero shape.

https://www.hambini.com/blog/post/bi...one-is-fastest

It's a Hambini test, so take that for what it's worth.
So at about 30kph, the difference between a 28mm wheel and a run of the mill 50mm deep wheel is about 10 watts. At 50kph about 30 watts. Probably about 15-20 watts at 40 kph. Sounds about right.

Those looking to drop serious $$$ on deep section wheels should bear this in mind. From other testing I've seen, changing to an aero position with clip-on bars saves you 30 watts at 40kph, and an aero helmet also gets you about 10 watts at 40kph. https://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/...is-aero-19273/

So in terms of watts saved / dollars spent, wheels are not as good of an investment as an aero helmet or clip-on bars. Assuming you have already invested in all the other stuff, aero wheels are still beneficial obviously.

Nice, what rim section did you go with? Did you get brass or alloy nipples? (I can see those are DT 350 straight pull hubs).
Old 03-19-19, 09:23 AM
noodle soup

Nice. Did you manage the hub change? Rather long between ordering and shipping. Mine seem to be stuck at the same 'sanding' part.
Yes. The original choice was Novatec 411/412.

It has taken a little longer than expected, but ordering from the global website saved over $300. That difference will cover tires, discs, 2 cassettes, and a new chain.
Old 03-19-19, 09:26 AM
noodle soup

Nice, what rim section did you go with? Did you get brass or alloy nipples? (I can see those are DT 350 straight pull hubs).
56mm with alloy nipples
Old 03-19-19, 09:28 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Yes. The original choice was Novatec 411/412.

It has taken a little longer than expected, but ordering from the global website saved over $300. That difference will cover tires, discs, 2 cassettes, and a new chain.
Hopefully you get it on the sooner side ....freight from China can take either hardly any time at all, or a month depending on the service.

2nd wheelset for the same bike as I recall? Go on McMaster-Carr and get some prevision shim stock--odds are the rotors won't line up exactly perfectly enough on one set or the other.
Old 03-19-19, 09:42 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti

2nd wheelset for the same bike as I recall? Go on McMaster-Carr and get some prevision shim stock--odds are the rotors won't line up exactly perfectly enough on one set or the other.

I already have a supply of them at the shop, thankfully. I can't believe how much they cost retail..
Old 03-19-19, 09:46 AM
Rides4Beer

They look great!! Good call on the 350 hubs, wish I had made that call. Looks like the bearings on my Novatecs are on the way out. Gonna put better bearings in and hope they last a lil longer, but after doing some more research I should have gone with the 350s.
Old 03-19-19, 09:56 AM
noodle soup

They look great!! Good call on the 350 hubs, wish I had made that call. Looks like the bearings on my Novatecs are on the way out. Gonna put better bearings in and hope they last a lil longer, but after doing some more research I should have gone with the 350s.
That is very surprising. I've had 291SB/482SB and 291SBsl/482SBsl hubs on a few wheelsets, and usually got about 10k miles before needing to replace the bearings.

The main reason for the hub upgrade is the 54t engagement.

Bzzzz!

Last edited by noodle soup; 03-19-19 at 10:01 AM.
Old 03-19-19, 10:01 AM
deepakvrao

Really? In how many miles? I have had Novatec last me over a year of good riding without any issues.
Old 03-19-19, 10:05 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
That is very surprising. I've had 291SB/482SB and 291SBsl/482SBsl hubs on a few wheelsets, and usually got about 10k miles before needing to replace the bearings.

https://youtu.be/OO3Nv-C_jNQ

Bzzzz!
LOL, loud freehubs, to each their own

Got back to bike commuting and found myself in proper 6" deep mud. These shed really well in that kind of goo. They clean up nicely too.

Old 03-19-19, 10:10 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
LOL, loud freehubs, to each their own
I use them like a horn.
Old 03-19-19, 10:16 AM
Rides4Beer

https://youtu.be/OO3Nv-C_jNQ

Bzzzz!
Really? In how many miles? I have had Novatec last me over a year of good riding without any issues.
I've now read some other reports of them going out early, especially if they get really wet. Only about 350 miles on them. I did the last 30 miles of a century in a downpour, I think that's what did them in. I normally wouldn't ride in conditions like that, but I was already out there had no choice but to get back home. A few days after that, they started making noise and there was a very obvious increase in pedaling effort. My alloy wheels are Novatec Jetflys and they have been flawless for 3,000 miles (I don't know which model hubs they came with), so I didn't really have any hesitation to get the Novatec hubs on my LB wheels, but after reading some more, I think the DT Swiss 350 hubs would have been a better choice. Hopefully the new bearings will last longer, if they don't, then I'll look at swapping hubs.

I still really like the wheels, and don't fault LB for this, there are no issues with the build quality or rims themselves.
Old 03-19-19, 10:18 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
The more teeth the quicker to wear-out; though quicker to engage.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.