Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Explain yourself! What does your username/avatar mean?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Explain yourself! What does your username/avatar mean?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-10, 05:56 PM
jhefner
Hebrews 10:20a

Bikes: '74 Viscount Aerospace GP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My name is my name.

Back in the mid ninities, I was teaching myself Microsoft Access and Visual Basic. I needed a test database, and I liked steam engines, so I imported a list of steam locomotives for North America into an Access database, and wrote a front end in Visual Basic.

I thought others might enjoying using my new program, but there was already that list out there for North America. So, I decided to make it worldwide, thus the beginnings of the Surviving World Steam Project. It grew to over 38,000 steam engines of all kinds and over 6,000 photographs in 160 countries.

For several reasons, I let the project lapse a couple of years ago. I then took up my other interest, and bought a copy of Microsoft Flight Simulator. I then learned how to make aircraft for Flight Simulator, my first project was a trio of steam powered aircraft that were built and made brief hops before the Wright Brothers in the 1800s.

Then, I restored my Viscount Aerospace G.P.; and got back into cycling again. So, my avatar is titled 1875, the only year everything in my avatar existed:

In the center is a high wheel bicycle superimposed on my Flight Simulator model of duTemple's steam powered monoplane of 1875. Clockwise from upper left is the front wheel from a traction engine (ploughing engine), a wheel from a steam locomotive, a flywheel from a stationary steam engine, a smokestack, and the paddle wheel from a steamboat.

One of the reasons I let my project lapse is that I thought it would not work on Windows 7, especially the 64-bit version. I found out that is not true, it can be made to work fine, so I am thinking of re-releasing it. Here is the locomotive and steam vehicle databases running under Windows XP.

My title quote is the reference for my favorite scripture.

-James
Old 05-14-10, 06:20 PM
theschwinnman
Roadie in Training

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I chose the name 'theschwinnman' because I had just aquired a Schwinn Voyaguer 11.8, however, in the past few months I have acquired so many bikes I am considering changing my name to 'thebikeman' but I digress.

My avatar is the Lockheed F-104 Starfighter, a Vietnam era fighter designed by perhaps the greatest aeronautical engineer the world has ever known, Clearance L. "Kelly" Johnson, head of Lockheed's SkunkWorks, and creator of Groom Lake Research Facility; the famed Area 51.

My other time is taken up by; airplanes, I dont fly, but I read and am otherwise obsessed with them, my girlfriend of course, and archery, I am a fairly accomplished bowyer as well...
Old 05-14-10, 08:59 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Oh, my avatar..... it came from this, a meme from several years ago.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 05-14-10, 09:13 PM
bubba1640

Bikes: miyata 210,ciocc mockba 80, vitus, specialized epic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my brother- in-law started calling me bubba a long time ago and it stuck. so many bubba's around, 1640 seems to work most places. pic is of drummond clan badge/motto.
Old 05-14-10, 09:39 PM
retrofit

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 50 Posts
On Edit:

Its official; my username has been changed from family_belly to retrofit.

retrofit reflects both my regained fitness and my preference for retro or vintage steel.

The name is from a movie, though I don't remember what movie. It was a derogatory phrase used by a teen to describe her friend's father. I thought it was funny because after the birth of our son, that was exactly what I had developed -- a family belly -- so I used it when I signed up to ask for info about my wife's Bianchi. Now, I may ask to have it changed because in the past 18 months I've dropped 56 lbs. (only 20 more to go). Same family, less belly.

My avatar changes from time to time. Currently, it depicts my nearly complete spring project.

Stan

Last edited by retrofit; 05-25-10 at 12:42 PM. Reason: note change in username
Old 05-14-10, 10:03 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
Gomango is the color of my dad's metallic orange Dodge Challenger R/T. Hemi of course.

I grew up around Mopar big blocks and lots of motorcycles.

I raced Elsinores for a local Honda dealer and it was my nickname.

Moved to bikes after a pretty wild accident in the late 70's.

Probably was a very good idea.
My Uncle, who I always thought was way too cool had a Dodge Dart in Plum Crazy Purple. I loved getting a chance to see it and have him start it up. He still has the car, and it still looks pretty great.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 05-14-10, 10:14 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
Am I the only person on this planet that doesn't get the Radiohead thing? They seem like Pixies-lite to me. Warren Zevon liked them, so they must have something good about them that I'm missing.
They aren't everyones thing. Johnny Greenwood is one of my favorite guitar players, he plays with a lot of passion and dabbles in a lot of off the wall instruments. I actually never saw much of a connection between Radiohead and the Pixies... maybe in Radiohead's earlier days I suppose. They are always trying something new, sometimes challenging what you think they are. I have had the opportunity to see them live one time and it was awesome.

Listen to early material and compare it to newer stuff and see how far they pushed themselves and their fans.
Old 05-14-10, 10:22 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

[QUOTE=Rocket-Sauce;10810676]

OMG, that episode was hilarious. Finger snapping, sitting in the kiddie pool eating ice cream, swinging from a rope and tearing a hole in the ceiling. It's a shame that Tenacious D got kind of dumb with the movie and CD. Before it came back in popularity I had just about every song on a cd and my friends HATED it. Half a decade or so later, Tenacious D got popular and all of a sudden those same friends thought my CD was great.... bunch of turn coats.
Old 05-14-10, 10:27 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Pretty neat thread. Interesting that so many have music connections.
My sub-title is music related too. Star belly sneaches are Dr. Seuss' creation but I had the Dead Kennedy's Holiday in Cambodia in mind when I made my title. My avatar was Jello Biafra at one point too. My old title was "rustbelt rider"
Old 05-14-10, 10:54 PM
frpax
Steel is real, baby!

Bikes: 1984 Pinarello, 1986 Bianchi Portofino, 1988 Bianchi Trofeo, 1989 Specialized Allez, 1989 Specialized Hard Rock, 2001 Litespeed Tuscany

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Does anyone here need an explanation of mine?
Old 05-15-10, 06:00 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Masi is the brand of bike I keep in the closet under the stairs. Its my classic and vintage ride, a Gran Criterium from 1978 no less. A beautiful creation that gets babied mostly these days so I'm making it some kind of iconic branding avatar thing-y to sentimentalize what cycling can be. The 61 is the frame size, center to top. Its always been a bit big for me what with a 58cm top tube forcing me to use a 95mm stem. The picture is of the front fork of the same masi with my early 1980's high bling gold front wheel mounted after I had cleaned and waxed the bike. The hub is a special Bullseye hub with gold center and black flanges. The rim is a tubular Mavic OR10, a slightly different hue of gold but those wheels always looked fabulous with the black Masi and many strangers who saw me on rides would ask questions and make (mostly) positive remarks.

BTW, even the skewer on this wheelset was special - a Zeus 2000 titanium!

Last edited by masi61; 05-15-10 at 06:03 AM. Reason: to subscribe to thread
Old 05-15-10, 06:37 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,601 Times in 3,785 Posts
Originally Posted by frpax
It would help.

Old 05-15-10, 07:49 AM
Ivandarken
Senator from Secret

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by frpax
Free Packs of Cinzano brand cigarettes to the first 50 correct answers????

Do I win???
Old 05-15-10, 11:18 AM
poprad

Bikes: 07 Vanilla, 98 IRD road frame built up with 25th Ann DA, Surly cross check with 105 comp, 78 Raleigh Comp GS, 85 Centurionelli

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 191 Posts
Mine is just the model Lemond I owned at the time I joined BF, which was way too small a frame and I got rid of it...but not the name as I had already been using it for awhile by then.

So I'm Poprad but don't even own a Poprad.
Old 05-15-10, 11:30 AM
brian3069

Bikes: Raleigh Supercourse

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 101 Posts
My name and random numbers represents my lack of creativity

My avatar represents my lack of computer skills
Old 05-15-10, 07:00 PM
Predicador

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Predicador" is "Preacher" in Spanish. Preacher is my nickname, and my vocation. No avatar, have not found one I like yet, maybe a pic of my RSW 16 absolutely bone stock that I got for free yesterday.
Blessings
Old 05-15-10, 07:44 PM
sailorbenjamin

Bikes: one of each

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
I'm Ben. I'm a sailor. kind of dumb but Ben@yahoo.com was taken, Benjamin@yahoo.com was taken. I tried lots of stuff. I use the same name all the time so I don't forget. Technically I'm Captain Ben now but I'm not gonna go changing all my stuff.
The avatar is a cup of coffee that looks like a yin yang. It's really challenging to find inner stillness and calm your soul after a cup of coffee. I'll let you know when I figure it out.
Old 05-15-10, 07:51 PM
frpax
Steel is real, baby!

Bikes: 1984 Pinarello, 1986 Bianchi Portofino, 1988 Bianchi Trofeo, 1989 Specialized Allez, 1989 Specialized Hard Rock, 2001 Litespeed Tuscany

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
It would help.
The pro cycling team from the movie "Breaking Away". "The Italians are coming! The Italians are coming!"
Old 05-15-10, 08:00 PM
brianinc-ville

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
I'm Brian. I used to live in Charlottesville, VA; when I moved to Greenville, NC, it didn't seem worth it to change the username , so I didn't. Ta-da.
Old 05-15-10, 08:07 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by jgedwa
Jgedwa is the on-line name I have used for many things since when I first was doing things like this in 1992. It originally came from the email address that Indiana University handed me when I enrolled in grad school. The letters are taken from my first, middle, and last names.

My avatar is a picture of me when I walked across New Mexico one day to buy a grape soda on the other side of the state. And you know what, there is not a damn thing you can do about it.
jim
In your bare feet no less.
Old 05-15-10, 08:10 PM
kaliayev
Gouge Away

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Nothing to with cycling and yes somewhat pretentious. Shortly before I joined I had moved an old box of books and my copy of Camus' "The Rebel" fell out and decided to reread it after some twenty five years. Kaliayev was a somewhat romantic Russian revolutionary. My avatar is the Pixies. BTW I also really like Radiohead, but think only some of their early stuff sounded like the Pixies without their sense of humor. "Gouge" a great documentary on the Pixies features interviews by Thom York and Jonny Greenwood. York seemed especially enamored by the Pixies.
Old 05-15-10, 08:16 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Originally Posted by bigbossman
I knew there was a reason I liked you. My dad was a HUGE Mopar fan, and when he gave me the keys to my first car it was his 1965 Belvedere. Man, that thing was something to a 16 year old.

High School was all about Mopar - we all drove one model or another - Chargers, Road Runners, Furys.... you name it, we drove 'em and we crashed 'em.
Of all the cars I've owned in my life, only my first car was Mopar. A 65 4 door Polara with the mighty leaning tower of power.
Old 05-15-10, 08:24 PM
Dan Burkhart 

I've had my user name for going on 57 years now. My parents gave it to me before they brought me home.
I keep changing my avitar, my current one looks a bit like me, only with more hair.
Old 05-15-10, 09:20 PM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 911 Times in 383 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Of all the cars I've owned in my life, only my first car was Mopar. A 65 4 door Polara with the mighty leaning tower of power.
Since there are so many Mopar fans on this thread...Have you ever noticed that a Mopar product never leaves you stranded on the road? No matter how run down it is...You drive it home with no problems, park it in your driveway, then it just doesn't start the next morning.

Last edited by gearbasher; 05-15-10 at 09:26 PM.
Old 05-16-10, 07:31 AM
miyata man

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd overused "hippiesniff" on way too many forums in the past. That and "bike smut pedaler" might be a little blue for general consumption. Seriously though I almost had a miyata become a permanent piece of my frame. Had she been carbon I would not be alive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.