Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Thinking of clipping in.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Thinking of clipping in.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-23, 05:28 PM
jkinner

Bikes: Thorn Nomad, Haibike XDuro Trekking

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
The best pedals are the ones you like

Great discussion about pedals. Reflecting upon what I've read I realize there are road riders, racers, mountain bikers, gravel bikers, tourers, cruisers and other categories of riders who posted a reply. The pedal selected, more often than not, seems dependent upon what type of rider they are or want to be. Some clip in, others don't. Some have clipped in and now they don't and there are those that didn't clip in that now do clip in. There are no right or wrong answers - it is what suits you, what you are comfortable with.
Likes For jkinner:
Old 07-17-23, 08:31 PM
macattack71

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale SuperSix 3, 1987 Raleigh Technium 440

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 16 Posts
I ride clipped in on my Cannondale road bike. But if I am doing a very large group charity ride with kids present, or riding gravel trails with friends who aren't regular cyclists, I use my old Raleigh Technium and will switch out for platform pedals, so I can walk if need be. Normally this bike is on the trainer, but is great for gravel trails, like near the wineries, where I know I will be walking around.
Old 07-18-23, 08:02 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
When I was younger I would sprint hard and the rear wheel would hop off the ground. I also pull up when I bunny-hop something, like a pothole or a snake. I suppose people can bunny- hop with flat pedals but being clipped in makes it easier.

I don't know why some are so dogmatic about not being able to pull up. When I try to spin with power I try to concentrate on a smooth circle. This involves intentionally forcing a circle. Do I make any power when pulling up? I don't know but I wouldn't say it's not possible.

Besides, the question of power is moot. Foot retention is about more than power on the upstroke.
If you like being clipped in for bunny hops that’s good.

That said, I think the riders most concerned with bunny hops don’t clip in. BMX tricks, Jimmy Levan, Sam Pilgrim, etc.

Old 07-18-23, 08:09 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Foot retention.

Old 07-18-23, 08:13 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8333 Post(s)
Liked 9,163 Times in 4,521 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinGriz
If you like being clipped in for bunny hops that’s good.

That said, I think the riders most concerned with bunny hops don’t clip in. BMX tricks, Jimmy Levan, Sam Pilgrim, etc.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bmO439w6yWA
I'm referring to the occasional bunny hop to avoid an obstacle while riding a road bike. Definitely not BMX jumping.
Likes For big john: