Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tour de-france type of riders, what's their deal?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tour de-france type of riders, what's their deal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-21, 02:03 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by Dvdvija
I agree with you the person workout with heavier bike will put more effort into riding. I can never understand those people who ride extremely light bikes expect to have good workouts.
This is false. A light bike doesn't mean I put out less effort, it means I go farther/faster with the same effort. I can guarantee you that I can get an extremely good workout on my 16 lb. road bike. In fact, my legs are a bit sore today from my ride yesterday.

EDIT: I can do extended climbs with an output of 240-250 watts, multiple 30 sec efforts over 500 watts, and a single all-out 15 sec effort at about 1200 watts. How would the weight of my bicycle change my body's aerobic capacity and power output capabilities?

Last edited by Eric F; 05-10-21 at 05:29 PM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 05-10-21, 02:05 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10442 Post(s)
Liked 11,915 Times in 6,102 Posts
Originally Posted by drbarney1
While one can always submit rationalizations to skeptics justifying extreme prices for such things as status symbol costumes: tailored suits, haute coiture dresses worn only once costing five figures, I am persuaded that the purpose of such bike riding costumes is to impress those who see them. Most people with minimum training even if self-taught could sew together a riding costume that would look identical to the high status riding costume, not that I would want to accommodate the tastes of the kind of peers who would tell me what I have to wear. Shorts and a possible T-shirt and sneakers can't be beat in warm weather and work clothes in cold weather have the practical advantage.
Those who want to ride as fast as they can for sport even though they are not that minuscule fraction of a percent of the population who are strong enough to compete in the Tour de France I esteem even though I prefer amateur bodybuilding for my sport.
I have done the experiment and this hypothesis was disproved.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-10-21, 02:09 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

I agree with you the person workout with heavier bike will put more effort into riding. I can never understand those people who ride extremely light bikes expect to have good workouts.
This is one of those things that seems to make sense, but is actually nonsense. A heavier bike doesn't mean you put more effort into riding. It just means that effort doesn't get you as far in the same time, especially going uphill.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-10-21, 02:10 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Your hypothesis is easily tested with a heavy and light bike, each with a power meter.
Likes For caloso:
Old 05-10-21, 03:21 PM
sammymann

Bikes: Palomar GT, JAMIS Alegro 1,Retrospect FoldUp, Cyclepro Rendezvous

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
They are riding bikes. Good for them.
Old 05-10-21, 03:41 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
What alternate reality are some posters living in where they think that anyone would wear lycra to impress others?

Recreational riders overcome the embarassment of donning skintight outfits that turn themselves into human-shaped sausages in public because cycling clothing works really well for *gasp* cycling.

Just a sliiight whiff of jealousy from people who lack the confidence to do so and make wild accusations about the motive behind wearing activity-appropriate clothing.
Likes For surak:
Old 05-10-21, 05:02 PM
RohloffRoller

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
I had planned to take up fishing but it was too tough. I looked at the prices of a good reel and pole then figured I'd get more product with a $1,000 bike so I decided on a bike. But I'm not a skinny guy and I don't wear fancy outfits. Then I looked up fishing boots and found they are $250 but I can get a pair of cycling shoes for $100. So I figured since fishing was too strenuous and expensive for me, I stuck with cycling.
Did you know that Shimano also manufacture fishing tackle!

Mike
Likes For RohloffRoller:
Old 05-10-21, 05:05 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by surak
What alternate reality are some posters living in where they think that anyone would wear lycra to impress others?

Recreational riders overcome the embarassment of donning skintight outfits that turn themselves into human-shaped sausages in public because cycling clothing works really well for *gasp* cycling.

Just a sliiight whiff of jealousy from people who lack the confidence to do so and make wild accusations about the motive behind wearing activity-appropriate clothing.
The thing is, the larger you are, the bigger the improvement in comfort from wearing lycra vs 'shorts and a T-shirt'.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-10-21, 05:37 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Miradaman
It's called attention seeking. Most of us ride because we like riding. This subset of road cyclists seems to be more about "hey everybody, look at me!"
The thing is, the riders who are legitimately fast are doing their work in a basement on a trainer or out on a country road at zero dark thirty. No one to see their clothes but I can guarantee you that they're not wearing t-shirt and tennis shoes.
Likes For caloso:
Old 05-10-21, 05:51 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
This can be true under the same route at the same speed. Ride 50 miles at the maximum speed you can go, say 22mph avg on a 15lb bike. Then ride a 30lb bike over the same 50 mile route, in similar conditions, at the same 22 mph avg speed.

John
Old 05-10-21, 06:29 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Well the thing is, there is no way you are NOT going to do 22 mph speed on the heavy bike. You may do 17. So the effort to do 22 on a light bike and 17 on a heavy bike could be the same.

So you will have to do a 100% effort to do 17 on a heavy bike but 100% effort to do 22 on a light bike....Same effort, different speeds, same workout.
Agree. That was my point. Riding less distance or slower is same, or possibly less, of a workout.

It is a response to everyone who claims more of a workout... go replicate it with a heavier, but same lever of quality bike; as I know there be one who will say... what if my heavy Dura Ace equipped...

John
Old 05-10-21, 07:35 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 1,017 Posts
Originally Posted by PimpMan
I call them "wanna be tour de-france riders" i see every day a few who dress fancy expensive riding clothes and ride bikes that cost more than grand and ride as if they trying to set world record in speed, (often are running trough red light).

They all are skinny and probably would be fast riding any bike, but when they invest in lighter bikes this get's them even faster.

Never understood this what this riders are all about, are they try to set world record in speed or something, i doubt that they ever will participating in any cycling sport events.

I know there's such thing as bicycle industry and marketing that popularize this, e.g. fishing industry for example and if you go to fishing store you see thousands of lures, hooks, and different types fancy rods when in reality do you really need to make it so complicated to catch a fish?

I know this is also some kind of popularized thing, but what is it all about?
if you think cycling is expensive, let me introduce you to my wife's arts and crafts expenses. I got back into cycling in 2005 and I even bought a SLR 7 Project One bike last year, and the money she spent over the last 3 years alone is 2 or 3 times my lifetime of biking expenses, ....so let that sink in.

Old 05-10-21, 07:45 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Well the thing is, there is no way you are NOT going to do 22 mph speed on the heavy bike. You may do 17. So the effort to do 22 on a light bike and 17 on a heavy bike could be the same.

So you will have to do a 100% effort to do 17 on a heavy bike but 100% effort to do 22 on a light bike....Same effort, different speeds, same workout.
Too many negatives. You end up disputing yourself.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-10-21, 07:56 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Folks who say, "You get a better workout on a heavier bike" largely seem to be saying "Those grapes are probably sour, anyway!"

BTW, often the people someone said "just want to be seen" are often members of local clubs, wearing club kit, which the club likes you to do to advertise the club and get more members. And it's often purchased at a discount, so it's cheaper to wear club kit than less gaudy stuff.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-10-21, 08:55 PM
Greg Boggs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Holy **** are you people easy to troll... It's was weak but still went on for 9 pages.
Likes For Greg Boggs:
Old 05-10-21, 09:12 PM
krakhaus 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
Am I the only one wondering where all the noobs came from?
Likes For krakhaus:
Old 05-10-21, 09:47 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2587 Post(s)
Liked 5,649 Times in 2,924 Posts
When I first started thinking of getting into cycling, I was pedaling my 32 Lb Schwinn Varsity in cut offs, T-shirt and sneakers. Road many miles that way, hot and sweaty with sore hands. Bought some cycling gloves and my hands were no longer sore. Then I thought maybe there is something too the cycling clothes the fast riders zinging by me had on. So I tried cycling shorts and no more chafing. Wow! And my butt didn’t get sore. What the heck get a jersey and try that and it was cooler feeling against my skin and wasn’t flapping in the breeze. Toe clips were next used with my tennis shoes. My good friend who was a real bike nut said that I would be more efficient if I bought real cycling shoes which meant I might be able to better keep up with him so I did and those too made a difference. So incrementally I discovered each piece of kit had a definite advantage over street clothes and were purpose made.

Anyone who has never tried cycling clothes or a good bike is throwing the mud of ignorance, just like me, when I started out. To be experienced tells you what’s what.

Last edited by rsbob; 05-11-21 at 08:36 PM.
Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-10-21, 09:48 PM
relrrt

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I call them "wanna be tour de-france riders" i see every day a few who dress fancy expensive riding clothes and ride bikes that cost more than grand and ride as if they trying to set world record in speed, (often are running trough red light).

They all are skinny and probably would be fast riding any bike, but when they invest in lighter bikes this get's them even faster.

Never understood this what this riders are all about, are they try to set world record in speed or something, i doubt that they ever will participating in any cycling sport events.

I know there's such thing as bicycle industry and marketing that popularize this, e.g. fishing industry for example and if you go to fishing store you see thousands of lures, hooks, and different types fancy rods when in reality do you really need to make it so complicated to catch a fish?

Don't worry about it.an mind your own business and quit being jealous.
Likes For relrrt:
Old 05-10-21, 10:26 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts

ugh oh, I detect penis envy
Likes For aclinjury:
Old 05-11-21, 07:42 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4739 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
This can be true under the same route at the same speed. Ride 50 miles at the maximum speed you can go, say 22mph avg on a 15lb bike. Then ride a 30lb bike over the same 50 mile route, in similar conditions, at the same 22 mph avg speed.

John
Speed isn't a measure of effort. I think you wanted your example to be to ride at maximum effort for 50 miles on a 15lb bike, and then ride at maximum effort the same 50 miles on a 30lb bike. Which will burn more calories?
Old 05-11-21, 09:19 AM
70sSanO

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Speed isn't a measure of effort. I think you wanted your example to be to ride at maximum effort for 50 miles on a 15lb bike, and then ride at maximum effort the same 50 miles on a 30lb bike. Which will burn more calories?
Actually this is what the heavy bike crowd professes. I expend more effort on a heavy bike; higher heart rate equals more calories equals better workout.

In reality it is a reflection of a rider putting out the minimum amount of effort required. If someone struggles to ride a heavy bike up a climb, but it is much easier on a light bike that person is simply states the obvious... I don’t put out any more effort than I need to and a heavy bike forced me to put out more effort.

I think that is the main difference between the light/heavy bike groups. One camp needs to be forced to expend more effort the other camp relishes pushing beyond what is necessary.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 05-11-21, 09:40 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Actually this is what the heavy bike crowd professes. I expend more effort on a heavy bike; higher heart rate equals more calories equals better workout.

In reality it is a reflection of a rider putting out the minimum amount of effort required. If someone struggles to ride a heavy bike up a climb, but it is much easier on a light bike that person is simply states the obvious... I don’t put out any more effort than I need to and a heavy bike forced me to put out more effort.

I think that is the main difference between the light/heavy bike groups. One camp needs to be forced to expend more effort the other camp relishes pushing beyond what is necessary.

John

Nahh, because the minimal effort would be driving a car or riding the bus. I think you're reaching to turn this into a morality play.

What's at heart here is the confusion of distance for time. The reason why maximum effort over 50 miles will lead to greater calorie burn for the heavy bike is because the slower speed requires that maximum effort to be sustained for longer than with the faster lighter bike.

Also, I think people are making a logic jump from running, where added weight actually has some pretty drastic effects on the effort needed to keep going while bicycles are actually machines designed to minimize the effect of weight on the effort needed to propel. You don't actually lift the added weight on a bicycle, but when you're running, you do so with every step.
Old 05-11-21, 09:44 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
& here I am like a sucker with clipless shoes! Steeltoe boots here I come!
Old 05-11-21, 09:44 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4739 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts

John
Not exactly what I'm suggesting. Assuming the 2 bikes have gearing that allows the same effort (no struggling required) to be output, I'm simply saying that moving the heavier bike over the same distance will take longer, so that the total expended effort would be more because of time.

Otherwise there's a lot of psychological analyses going on for this topic. Someone should plot of linegraph chart or somesuch.. one axis can be weight of bike, the other can be a measure of the incremental joy's positive impact on FTP
Old 05-11-21, 09:47 AM
70sSanO

No stretch.

There really are different camps that don’t relate to each other. One camp is pushing itself to hit certain numbers and the other camp just likes to ride. It doesn’t matter the distance it is either the joy of performing at a certain level or the joy is in the ride.

Some riders can’t tell you all the sights around them as they are focused on the numbers, other riders see the world around them and the numbers don’t matter.

John

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.