Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Worth it to preemptively pay extra for threaded BB option on new road bike?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Worth it to preemptively pay extra for threaded BB option on new road bike?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-22, 12:57 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Rdmonster69
Alright ....ya got me .... LOL.

I work on alot of stuff (bikes, cars, motorcycles) .... I doubt that cross-threading a BB is going to be an issue for me (fingers crossed). I have no real prejudice against press fit BB but I don't want to have to buy new tools and learn about them. It's for that reason that I usually rule them out. I already have a few different BB tools for threaded set ups. I suppose if the day comes that I can't pass up a bike with a press fit I will learn.
I am with you, I'm not a big fan of stuff that needs different tools and doesn't really solve a problem that I personally have. Although I've cobbled together home-made press tools for headsets and BB's and haven't really had any problems, in general I'd prefer not to have to press things in. But need to say that the thread together BB's generally just use regular BB tools, but you might need two - one for each side. Threading the two sides together in the middle in essence presses the bearing cups into the BB.
Old 07-24-22, 01:17 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
Bah. I have an older "Lynskey" Litespeed, a new Lynskey and my wife has a new Litespeed. By anything I can see, the new Litespeeds are great frames in comparison to the 90's era Litespeeds and current Lynskeys. In some ways, i think my wife's Litespeed is built to slightly better standards than my new Lynskey, but of course, that's a sample of one each. And of course, one could indeed get a Moots instead, but it would cost, what?, double? The Litespeed (Watia) and Lynskey (GR300) we purchased about a year ago were fairly similar in price after discounts and shipping and I thougt both were equivalent value - the Litespeed was a couple hundred less and weight a few ounces less. Last time I looked Moots isn't anywhere near the same price point. Nice, yes, but apples to oranges.
Have you had any warranty claims with ABG? The new Litespeed has a documented poor record on warranty claims.

The Lynskey family’s reputation on the other hand is very good. Given that you’re talking about similar bikes, I’d much rather do business with Lynskey, than Litepseed, or any ABG group brand.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.