Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike Computer Accuracy

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike Computer Accuracy

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-21, 12:07 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
One poster states categorically that GPSes are more accurate. I have no doubt that it's true under certain circumstances, but it's just not true under all conditions, so the statement is false. It's an over-generalization.
No one has stated that GPS is more accurate in all circumstances.
Old 02-05-21, 12:28 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by wphamilton
Not to imply anything about TC's data, but it reminds me that having suggested it I'm obligated to say something about methodology.

Make sure you're not selecting among the different rides. Use all of them that are applicable.
I did not hand pick the data. The only rides on this route that were thrown out were ones that had obviously different start or stop points, e.g. a ride where I didn't hit the start button until I was already 1/4 mile down the road.
It's good to select from a given time frame...
What difference could that possibly make? Are the roads different lengths on different days?

... and not from a given distance, type of ride etc. Same reason as above, and to eliminate variables.
How about are you supposed to compare the repeatability of GPS-calculated distances if you use different routes?

If you have a "snap to road" option in your software, turn it off for the checks. Snap to road will basically report the map distance, not the bike's true distance.
No "snap to road" in my stuff.

Last edited by tomato coupe; 02-05-21 at 02:39 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-05-21, 12:35 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
I don't use GPS. If I am riding/touring in a unfamiliar area, I use PGS, which stands for Paper Guidance System, also known as cue sheets. Try starting a campfire with a GPS unit or cell phone absent battery asplosion.
Old 02-05-21, 12:38 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I did not hand pick the data. The only rides on this route that were thrown out were ones that had obviously different start or stop points, e.g. a ride where I didn't hit the start button until I was already 1/4 mile down the road.
As I said, I'm not implying anything about your data.

What difference could that possibly make? Are the roads different lengths on different days?
The equipment could change. The road could change.

How about you supposed to compare the repeatability of GPS-calculated distances if you use different routes?
All routes within a set should be the same. Don't cherry-pick the type of route to test. I get the feeling you're just being argumentative, because with a moment's thought you would have seen all this.
Old 02-05-21, 01:01 PM
skenry

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
A few percent or a half mph is really a pretty close measurement, Much more accurate than your vehicles speedometer or a police radar gun. (generally calibrated to within 3 mph)
Old 02-05-21, 01:02 PM
tomato coupe

The equipment could change. The road could change.
The road could change??? You're really reaching now. (Even if the road did change, that would make GPS look worse than it really is.)

All routes within a set should be the same. Don't cherry-pick the type of route to test. I get the feeling you're just being argumentative, because with a moment's thought you would have seen all this.
Cherry picking? You specifically proposed the following:
If anyone is turned off by all the theory and math, it's pretty easy to compare precisions for yourself. Ride the same route a number of times and see how the GPS distance estimate varies ...
I did exactly what you proposed, and I did it by choosing a route that I had ridden many times with a consistent beginning and end. I'm not going to go out and repeat a bunch of routes of varying distance and terrain to satisfy your curiosity. Do it yourself.
Old 02-05-21, 02:37 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Try starting a campfire with a ... cell phone absent battery asplosion.
Isn't there an app for that?
Old 02-05-21, 04:00 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
but don't forget that many cyclists rely on their phones for GPS services.
This is you making another silly assumption.
It's not an assumption. Many posters have written that they use their phones as bike computers. I believe them.
Old 02-05-21, 04:42 PM
philbob57

I do not follow your meaning. I wrote that many riders use their phones as bike computers, which, I thought, requires the GPS functions. You called that a 'silly assumption.' I pointed out that the statement was not an assumption; rather, the statement was based on data. (BTW, you can check the data with the search function.)

My argument that GPSes are less reliable than sensors for distance and speed is based not on my difficulties but on data. You can't check the data about my rides, but you certainly can find lots of authoritative warnings that consumer-level (and probably military) GPSes don't do well under canopies of leaves, and leaves aren't the only obstacles.

That argument is pretty clear, and pretty clearly not silly or inane. If you disagree, fine ... come back with some facts and logical interpretations of those facts..

You started this dialog with an insult. You followed with 'silly,' 'inane,' 'please pay attention', and with 2 sentences that I find incomprehensible. I might respond if you post something on topic and understandable. I won't respond to more posts like #113.

And please don't quote me again. I really don't like the notifications.
Old 02-05-21, 05:03 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
The road could change??? You're really reaching now. (Even if the road did change, that would make GPS look worse than it really is.)

well obviously. I am advising correct methodology, not a methodology that would make one hypothesis look better.

I did exactly what you proposed, and I did it by choosing a route that I had ridden many times with a consistent beginning and end. I'm not going to go out and repeat a bunch of routes of varying distance and terrain to satisfy your curiosity. Do it yourself.
Nobody asked you to repeat any tests. You wanted to know why someone shouldn't cherry pick the type of route, and I explained why. If your integrity is ok with what you've presented, that's fine. Nobody is accusing you.
Old 02-05-21, 05:07 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by bikehoco
For rides, I use a bike computer (magnet in the spokes) and Ride With GPS on an iPhone. For distance, both provide similar results (20 miles vs. 19.9 miles). But for speed, the difference is bothersome (14 mph vs. 13.5 mps). Is this typical?

I ride along the road (with some trails) in the suburbs..
Depends on sampling rate and the pause settings (i.e., pause recording below 3 mph vs 5 mph vs while stopped). As a general rule, a computer using a speed sensor (your spoke magnet) shoudl be more accurate than a phone that is relying on GPS readings (variable by design) taken so many times per minute.

BB

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 02-05-21, 05:39 PM
tomato coupe

well obviously. I am advising correct methodology, not a methodology that would make one hypothesis look better.
Your idea of correct methodology is to ride a route multiple times in a short time span,in case the road changes? Cmon man, let's stick with reality. The road isn't changing between rides -- if it does, everyone will know it.

Nobody asked you to repeat any tests. You wanted to know why someone shouldn't cherry pick the type of route, and I explained why.
I did not ask why someone shouldn't cherry pick data. You suggested riding the same route multiple times and comparing the results. I did that, but the results don't support your narrative, so now you're calling into question my selection of the route. By your standards, any chosen route would be cherry picked, and therefore would be called into question.

If your integrity is ok with what you've presented, that's fine. Nobody is accusing you.
Maybe you shouldn't question my integrity, even in a thinly veiled way.

Last edited by tomato coupe; 02-05-21 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-06-21, 07:36 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
And please don't quote me again. I really don't like the notifications.
You can turn off the notifications.
Old 02-06-21, 11:07 AM
philbob57

Thanks.
Old 02-06-21, 11:30 PM
cjenrick

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
we are fortunate enough to have a bike path with mile markers , this Avocet is dialed in at +/- 0.01 miles per 5 mile trip,

depends on how much weaving we do,

don't use it anymore, too depressing, distracts from ride enjoyment,

it is the "dang, i thought i felt pretty good today but i am 2 minutes slower than yesterday when i felt like crap" syndrome.

good for total miles if you like to journal your rides, but we already have all the route miles figured out, jus sayin, wtf?

we like doing the same rides over and over again, familiarity - security, going on new rides gives me nervous diarrhea,

is that too much info? what are the rules at this forum on diarrhea?
Old 02-07-21, 07:48 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,646 Times in 952 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I don't use GPS. If I am riding/touring in a unfamiliar area, I use PGS, which stands for Paper Guidance System, also known as cue sheets. Try starting a campfire with a GPS unit or cell phone absent battery asplosion.
https://www.instructables.com/How-to...never%20before.

Actually I don't use GPS for measuring my rides. My GPS is an android. It often records jumps of up to half a mile. Teleportation?

Don't matter. I use it for a map of my rides later. Going thru pix later you can usually find exactly where you took the pic using Strava. And if somebody is interested in your ride you can share it.
Old 02-07-21, 09:56 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by locolobo13
https://www.instructables.com/How-to...never%20before.

Actually I don't use GPS for measuring my rides. My GPS is an android. It often records jumps of up to half a mile. Teleportation?

Don't matter. I use it for a map of my rides later. Going thru pix later you can usually find exactly where you took the pic using Strava. And if somebody is interested in your ride you can share it.
I map out my tour routes on RWGPS ahead of time so I can see elevation gain, but I don’t rely on a device while riding. After the trip I map what I actually rode in case I deviated from the plan. As for photo locations, I use “memory chip” I was born with.