Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Box O' Crap, Series Nine

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Box O' Crap, Series Nine

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-23, 09:40 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,912 Times in 1,142 Posts
Hammer the dents in the liner out and fill it with NOS Campy or Shimano parts and we can see what will happen! Smiles, CrapMaster Honk.
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 07-22-23, 10:20 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 642 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk
Hammer the dents in the liner out and fill it with NOS Campy or Shimano parts and we can see what will happen! Smiles, CrapMaster Honk.
Surprised that you didn't replace it with a titanium liner while it was sitting idle.
Old 07-27-23, 11:05 AM
romperrr 
Pedal to the medal

Bikes: 1991 Team Miyata Track, 1992 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 19?? Schwinn High Serra, 1982 Trek 614, 198X Raleigh Alyeska

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 131 Posts
Exciting to see the box moving!
Old 07-27-23, 04:58 PM
Mad Honk 

Originally Posted by USAZorro
Surprised that you didn't replace it with a titanium liner while it was sitting idle.
As is often the case, the liner is a carry-over from Series eight version of BOC. The Crapmaster authorized me to make the liner out of Race Car Body aluminum because dents are easy to remove with just a hammer and a body work anvil. Right now the race car is idle while some repairs are being done. I will post pictures when I can get some on the camera. So the short answer is that the liner is a hold over from the previous series. Prior to the aluminum liner there was a plastic liner made of plastic similar to what you find in milk cartons. The aluminum liner has done a yeoman's job of protecting the box and the crap as it wends it's way through the US landscape.
Always looking for new players to sign up to play. I have yet to see anyone not find a jewel of some kind in the Exalted Box O' Crap. Smiles, CrapMaster Honk
Old 07-27-23, 08:03 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

As is often the case, the liner is a carry-over from Series eight version of BOC. The Crapmaster authorized me to make the liner out of Race Car Body aluminum because dents are easy to remove with just a hammer and a body work anvil. Right now the race car is idle while some repairs are being done. I will post pictures when I can get some on the camera. So the short answer is that the liner is a hold over from the previous series. Prior to the aluminum liner there was a plastic liner made of plastic similar to what you find in milk cartons. The aluminum liner has done a yeoman's job of protecting the box and the crap as it wends it's way through the US landscape.
Always looking for new players to sign up to play. I have yet to see anyone not find a jewel of some kind in the Exalted Box O' Crap. Smiles, CrapMaster Honk

I was teasing. Next time the box makes it here, I'll see if there's something to be done to reinforce the top portion - which seems now to be the most vulnerable part of the liner.
Old 07-27-23, 09:35 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1612 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,225 Posts
I believe a member, kat something?, made the first liner. Want to say it was galvanized sheet metal.
*LongJohn

Last edited by curbtender; 07-28-23 at 12:44 PM.
Old 07-27-23, 09:48 PM
Mad Honk 

I can send a top liner of lexan that may protect the contents a bit, but it may restrict the amount of Crap that can be jammed into the BOC. Lemme know, CrapMaster Honk
Old 07-28-23, 10:52 AM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 3,765 Times in 1,844 Posts
Update soon, It has been a hot and busy week here in SoCal
Old 07-28-23, 12:02 PM
Mad Honk 

It is Speed Week here in southern Indiana, and short track racing is going on everywhere. Last night it was at Brownstown for super stock entries. Tonight In Bloomington it is winged sprints. Lots of speed on a 1/4 mile oval with banking. So the car I Co-sponsor and help with ran last night. 6th place finish that likely paid for a few tires or maybe the fuel burned up. So here are the results of a single race that didn't go as planned:

Somebody got under the left side and gave it a bit of customization that looks a lot worse than it really is.

And what it looks like from the side. Careful inspection will show a dent near the area over the BIM sticker.
The aluminum panels will be easy to bend back out on the rear damage. The crinkle on the door area is gonna be there for a while. The metal sheets are what I used to make the BOC liner out of. That's why I say to just hammer the dents out of the liner if it has any. Smiles, CrapMaster Honk
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 07-28-23, 04:38 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,182 Times in 1,184 Posts
It is Speed Week here in southern Indiana, and short track racing is going on everywhere. Last night it was at Brownstown for super stock entries. Tonight In Bloomington it is winged sprints. Lots of speed on a 1/4 mile oval with banking. So the car I Co-sponsor and help with ran last night. 6th place finish that likely paid for a few tires or maybe the fuel burned up. So here are the results of a single race that didn't go as planned:

Somebody got under the left side and gave it a bit of customization that looks a lot worse than it really is.

And what it looks like from the side. Careful inspection will show a dent near the area over the BIM sticker.
The aluminum panels will be easy to bend back out on the rear damage. The crinkle on the door area is gonna be there for a while. The metal sheets are what I used to make the BOC liner out of. That's why I say to just hammer the dents out of the liner if it has any. Smiles, CrapMaster Honk
Dave,
Sorry to hear about the impact, "Italian" riders, I mean drivers at times get aggressive, especially at a team event.....Congrats on the run, you cant't win them all, perhaps a number change on the car would help......add 16 to it and magic, 34 for the win! At least you were running the "correct" tires for the race.
Best, "Mooch"

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Last edited by xiaoman1; 07-28-23 at 04:43 PM.
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 07-28-23, 05:34 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Can barely imagine running the Miyata I once owned on a quarter mile track, let alone something with 8 times the horsepower.

Hoosier tires... I could have guessed... but if you run over to Bloomington Iron and Metal, they might give you a deal on something durable for the top.
Old 07-28-23, 07:28 PM
Mad Honk 

Hoosier Tires for this type of car last about forty laps at full speed then the tire give way and looses grip. They are not cheap but they do what they are intended to do, give grip on wet clay. Speeds get up to about 110 at best but on a short track you had better have nerves of steel. And gonads about the size of bowling balls. I have driven at speeds of 175mph, but above that you have to be very special about your driving skills. Indy cars and F1 drivers are the best of the best and I could not hold a candle for them. Smiles, MH
Old 07-29-23, 10:23 AM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Well I might not of hit the Box O' Crap jackpot, but I was happy to spin the wheel. Had a good time digging through the crap and then trying to fit more crap in the box. Did my best to add some goodies.

Here is what I pulled out:
The Wheatons sticker is a skateboard graphic knock off the "kids" will appreciate.
Old Spokes Home sticker & t-shirt, speaks to my East Coast roots.
Who doesn't need some fresh cables?
A Thumb shifter that will land onto? something currently wearing sticky STI or one of the Peugeot "Express" bikes, but mainly so I can legitimately take "this bike proudly built with Box O' Crap parts" sticker

This picture should include the Old Spokes Home T-shirt that was in the top of the box in the reveal shot, I grabbed that as well, but . . . I had the Box O' Crap spread out all over my floor when some friends were coming over. I quickly put all the parts back in the box, but the shirt? Searched my place high and low, twice, did a good job of hiding it from myself! When it reveals itself I will post a picture. Box will be on its way Saturday Now, still working on Just finished nesting/fitting more goodies into the the box that I am trying to make into a Tardis.
Likes For SoCaled:
Old 07-30-23, 10:02 AM
SoCaled 

So I have read some stories here of Postal workers being "impressed" with the Box O' Crap, marveling at how much could be stuffed into the box. That was not my experience when I got to the Post office . As I slid the box onto the counter the sweet lady on the other side of the counter visibly soured. She was looking at the box with a look of skepticism and sheer disapproval. "The box is not even closed" was her 1st comment, "excuse me?" was my reply, I thought I had missed something (box was closed), "you just used excessive tape" I actually under taped if anything I was at the end of the roll. She promptly slid the box onto the scale (not relevant as weight is unlimited) and shook her head. "The box has changed dimensions" she said as she shook her head, "maybe I'm tripping?" she said, as she called over another employee. He looked at the box, cocked his head to the side, stroked his chin and said "yeah they are likely to send this back to you for additional postage or collect it from the recipient! So, slight hitch in the giddy up, I grabbed a new box (which I think was the main issue) and will re-pack and get it sent out tomorrow (closed today/Sunday). pics as packed.

Old 07-30-23, 10:06 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2440 Post(s)
Liked 3,135 Times in 1,974 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCaled
So I have read some stories here of Postal workers being "impressed" with the Box O' Crap, marveling at how much could be stuffed into the box. That was not my experience when I got to the Post office . As I slid the box onto the counter the sweet lady on the other side of the counter visibly soured. She was looking at the box with a look of skepticism and sheer disapproval. "The box is not even closed" was her 1st comment, "excuse me?" was my reply, I thought I had missed something (box was closed), "you just used excessive tape" I actually under taped if anything I was at the end of the roll. She promptly slid the box onto the scale (not relevant as weight is unlimited) and shook her head. "The box has changed dimensions" she said as she shook her head, "maybe I'm tripping?" she said, as she called over another employee. He looked at the box, cocked his head to the side, stroked his chin and said "yeah they are likely to send this back to you for additional postage or collect it from the recipient! So, slight hitch in the giddy up, I grabbed a new box (which I think was the main issue) and will re-pack and get it sent out tomorrow (closed today/Sunday). pics as packed.

Dang. My folks just laugh and send it through!
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 07-30-23, 10:57 AM
SoCaled 

Originally Posted by jdawginsc
Dang. My folks just laugh and send it through!
I had to just laugh, I muttered under my breath, "Well, that's exactly how it came to me" I kinda figured once they took it (which they were willing to do) it would be fine, but decided to play it safe and not cause a delay or extra expense, I will get another bike ride to the Post office out of the deal, so I will take it as a bonus.
Old 07-30-23, 03:34 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

I had to just laugh, I muttered under my breath, "Well, that's exactly how it came to me" I kinda figured once they took it (which they were willing to do) it would be fine, but decided to play it safe and not cause a delay or extra expense, I will get another bike ride to the Post office out of the deal, so I will take it as a bonus.
I'd take it to another location that wasn't suffering a crabapple infestation.

Whenever I send the box, I carry it to the counter and cheerfully say, "I hope you put your muscles on this morning." In about a dozen sendings, I've never had an issue - except for the time when I carelessly packed in in the large, non-flat-rate box. It is about 3/4" taller and everything fit sooooo much better. The clerk insisted on putting it on the scale just to see how much that would have cost. As expected, it was exponentially more.
Old 07-31-23, 02:22 PM
SoCaled 

New flat rate box. Liner pounded flat & straightened/squared, new bolts added to replace the missing ones & all existing bolts tightened. Packed even better, added a few more parts.
Much better experience at the post office, there was a guy telling dad jokes, just hanging out there. I asked the Lady behind the counter if she had eaten her Wheaties this morning? and she replied (as I handed her the box) "Oh, you know how to get your money's worth!"
On it's way!

The results of my first attempt to put the liner in a new box

decided I needed to do some work

much straighter

Had to remove a corner bracket to get box square again, discovered there were quite a few missing and loose bolts

This is one of the best tricks, I went most of my life not knowing, Electrical stripper/crimpers have a small bolt cutter built-in, screw the bolt into the threaded section & will cut bolts to length

Last edited by SoCaled; 07-31-23 at 02:49 PM. Reason: pics & details
Old 07-31-23, 09:31 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

New flat rate box. Liner pounded flat & straightened/squared, new bolts added to replace the missing ones & all existing bolts tightened. Packed even better, added a few more parts.
Much better experience at the post office, there was a guy telling dad jokes, just hanging out there. I asked the Lady behind the counter if she had eaten her Wheaties this morning? and she replied (as I handed her the box) "Oh, you know how to get your money's worth!"
On it's way!

The results of my first attempt to put the liner in a new box

decided I needed to do some work

much straighter

Had to remove a corner bracket to get box square again, discovered there were quite a few missing and loose bolts

This is one of the best tricks, I went most of my life not knowing, Electrical stripper/crimpers have a small bolt cutter built-in, screw the bolt into the threaded section & will cut bolts to length
Sweet. You have skills beyond mine. When I added the brackets, I had the box completely apart, and while I definitely made a noticeable improvement, my work looks Kindergarten level compared to yours. Just attempted the cable cutter bolt trimming. Even though I needed to recruit the bench vise to do the cutting, that is so much better than using the rotary tool. Best thing I've learned today!
Old 08-01-23, 08:32 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked 3,561 Times in 1,412 Posts
WOW, excellent work SoCaled !!

Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 08-05-23, 05:48 PM
Mad Honk 

Once again asking for new players to sign up! Check the rules on the first post and sign up to play. Smiles, CrapMaster Honk.
Old 08-06-23, 01:46 PM
SoCaled 

The missing shirt from my haul has re-appeared, must have been doing laundry that day because that's where it was.
Likes For SoCaled:
Old 08-06-23, 01:52 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 762 Posts
One of my fave bike-themed shirts. My Burlington-situated son gave it to me a couple years ago.

Last edited by smontanaro; 08-06-23 at 02:45 PM.
Likes For smontanaro:
Old 08-06-23, 02:04 PM
SoCaled 

Originally Posted by smontanaro
One of my fave bike-themed shirts. My Burlington-situated soon have it to me a couple years ago.
Yep, gets to me three ways, good graphic/subject, East coast connection, soft cotton shirt!
Likes For SoCaled:
Old 08-06-23, 02:21 PM
Mad Honk 

You are welcome. Sammy sent that to me about eight months ago, but I normally wear golf shirts (due to my work as a golf professional), so t-shirts get moved on to other folks through the BOC. Enjoy it and wear it proudly! Smiles, CrapMaster Honk.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.