Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What counts as a century?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What counts as a century?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-23, 04:27 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
Thread-jack, sorry - I turned 13 in 1957, so I had 3 long years to wait until I could drive, but I sure wanted to get behind a wheel. GM was hyping its 1958 models because it was their 50th anniversary. The '58 Impala convertible was OK, but every other one of their cars defined 'ugly', IMO. I've never been a Ford fan, but not even the Edsel approaches the ugliness of the '58 GM line. I can't describe how disappointed I was when they made that '58 line public.
Old 04-24-23, 08:27 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
The 1891 citation......
I thought we were talking about the Century, now we're talking about the Citation? And the Citation didn't exist until 1980. I'm confused.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 04-24-23, 09:41 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,838 Times in 831 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
I thought we were talking about the Century, now we're talking about the Citation? And the Citation didn't exist until 1980. I'm confused.
Having dealt indirectly with a Citation owned briefly by the mom of an ex-GF, it was a car that seemed to exist solely in order to make the later Yugo look good by comparison. I was trying to mentally compare a Citation to the low-relative-cost spot-welded domestic bicycles of the era, but they at least didn't have a huge ad campaign promising value and quality... and delivering a gut-punch to GM's brand image that lasted for years.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 04-24-23, 11:21 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by RCMoeur
Having dealt indirectly with a Citation owned briefly by the mom of an ex-GF, it was a car that seemed to exist solely in order to make the later Yugo look good by comparison.
Aztek was uglier IMO.
Old 04-25-23, 05:29 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
Aztek was uglier IMO.
But probably more reliable than the Citation which was the second most recalled car in history.
Old 04-26-23, 08:18 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 945 Posts
Pretty sure the application of the word "century" to a solo ride dates back to 1896: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dora_Rinehart#cite_note-2
Look back at the thread, at no point did I insist she coined it, I just made the point that hers was at least a very early usage of it to refer to a solo ride, thus contradicting your claim that it's recent and/or idiosyncratic to BF posters.
The "dates back" phrase is more than suggesting that that date was the first time term was used.

https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionari...e%20late%2070s.

You know, you really should read your sources (not just cherry-pick) before you link them. Members were obviously counting solo rides as centuries:
That reference was to establish that you were wrong about it "dating back" to 1896.

And I wasn't cherry picking. I said that it appeared the current usage appears to be more commonly applied to organized rides. That how the term was used "long ago" might not be relevant.

Look back at the thread, at no point did I insist she coined it, I just made the point that hers was at least a very early usage of it to refer to a solo ride, thus contradicting your claim that it's recent and/or idiosyncratic to BF posters.
You are waffling here. You said it "dates back" to 1896. You were wrong about that.

It seems the resurrection of the term may have been due to rides organized by the LAB (and others) in the 1970's.

Originally Posted by njkayaker
The current usage of the term is commonly-applied to 100 mile rides on a particular course, done in a particular amount of time. This usage appears to have started in the 1970's with the concurrent "bike boom".

I don't care if you call it a 100 mile ride, why do you care if I or anyone else call it a century? It's fewer syllables and characters, and people know what I mean.
This is a forum. People discuss things.

Last edited by njkayaker; 04-26-23 at 09:02 AM.
Old 04-26-23, 10:29 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
The "dates back" phrase is more than suggesting that that date was the first time term was used.

https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionari...e%20late%2070s.

That reference was to establish that you were wrong about it "dating back" to 1896.

And I wasn't cherry picking. I said that it appeared the current usage appears to be more commonly applied to organized rides. That how the term was used "long ago" might not be relevant.

You are waffling here. You said it "dates back" to 1896. You were wrong about that.

It seems the resurrection of the term may have been due to rides organized by the LAB (and others) in the 1970's.

This is a forum. People discuss things.
Good lord, you can't even read a dictionary definition properly:
"to have existed since a particular time in the past or for the length of time mentioned"

That doesn't imply that it's the origin, only that the usage has existed since then. My only point has been that you were wrong when you stated that the use of it to refer to a solo ride is some sort of recent affectation. At best, you have a quibble with me not stating "dates back at least to 1896." I didn't do that because I assume some modicum of literacy on the part of the person I am communicating with, and anyone would know from context that the "at least" was implied.

I freely admitted that the term was used in 1891 to name a club. Thank you for that information. Obviously that does not negate the fact that the usage has existed since 1896 as the lesser time period is included in the greater.

y.

Last edited by livedarklions; 04-26-23 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-26-23, 10:39 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Now you're just lying about what you said:

As far as I know, the term "century" originated as a name for a ride of 100 miles, along a particular course, within a particular amount of time run/sponsored by an organization. (The allowed time was something much smaller than 24h.)

Beyond that, there was no requirement not to stop (for things like lunch)...

I have no idea why some people want to use "century" as a synonym for "any old 100 mile ride". It seems more reasonable to use the term how it has been used historically...

We have shown that it has never been used exclusively in that manner. Even the club that formed in 1891 was including solo rides in the category.

If I've gotten you to the point where you're having to rewrite your original assertions, I'm chalking it up as a won argument rather than further entertaining your pointless and stupid quibbles.

Last edited by livedarklions; 04-26-23 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-26-23, 11:27 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
"Hand me that dead horse, please ..."

"As soon as I am done beating it .... "
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 04-26-23, 11:36 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
French Lick, Indiana needs something named after it.
A few years ago, a friend and I did a century+ ride that passed through that town. And yeah, I sent my wife a photo with a naughty caption.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-26-23, 11:40 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4955 Post(s)
Liked 8,097 Times in 3,832 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
A few years ago, a friend and I did a century+ ride that passed through that town. And yeah, I sent my wife a photo with a naughty caption.
That's doing it right.
Old 04-26-23, 11:49 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
That's doing it right.
If she rolls her eyes and grimaces at me, I know I'm on the right track.
Likes For Koyote: