Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wow - the carbon bits from China are starting to look pretty impressive

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Wow - the carbon bits from China are starting to look pretty impressive

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-10, 11:50 AM
Spring Water
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noise boy
Because that way they can control the quality as well as the weave of the material. Strand orientation in carbon fiber has a huge affect on the structural qualities of the parts being manufactured.
Hmmm
Old 12-28-10, 12:31 PM
kleinboogie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Daytrip
If this is true (sans paint & labels), then the question becomes, "Is the risk of not being covered by a warranty worth paying 4 times less for the same product?"--especially if it's simply a non-branded version of a high quality frame? I think the answer to that is clearly "yes."
All the frames I checked out come with 2 year warranties.
Old 12-28-10, 12:43 PM
ravenmore

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kleinboogie
All the frames I checked out come with 2 year warranties.
Just playing devil's advocate (I'm probably going to pull the trigger on one myself), but if they do honor the warranties you will probably be stuck for shipping, which is probably going to be around $75 each way and not be super quick either.
Old 12-28-10, 12:44 PM
ravenmore

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The Time carbon video was really cool - want to check that out again later.
Old 12-28-10, 01:00 PM
Daytrip
Medicinal Cyclist

Bikes: 2003 Klein Q Carbon Race; 2009 Giant OCR-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I never expect warranty coverage on anything I buy on Ebay. I bought a Garmin GPS once that developed a problem. I thought about sending it into Garmin, but then I thought: "How do I know this GPS isn't hot? If it is, they'll probably confiscate it and cause me all kinds of problems."

Not that I condone nor would I knowingly buy stolen merchandise, but hey, you never know when buying from some anonymous soul on the Internet.

Anyway, my point is if you get a $3,000 frameset for $700 from a foreign seller, I think any expectation of warranty coverage is an illusion at best. What's their incentive to honor it? You can't neg a seller 6 months or a year after the sale, I don't think--especially if you've already given them feedback.
Old 12-28-10, 01:19 PM
kleinboogie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mina at Dengfu can answer the shipping question. I bought a used 2010 SuperSix frameset on Ebay, no warranty and it was $1700 and I didn't hesitate because it was a lot cheaper than a new one at $3200 with the logic that I could buy another used one later if I break this one.

Spending $700 on a new frame that's arguably just as good as the name brand and less than 1/2 the cost is worth the risk imo. GL
Old 12-28-10, 01:27 PM
noise boy

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 300 Posts
Originally Posted by Daytrip
I never expect warranty coverage on anything I buy on Ebay. I bought a Garmin GPS once that developed a problem. I thought about sending it into Garmin, but then I thought: "How do I know this GPS isn't hot? If it is, they'll probably confiscate it and cause me all kinds of problems."

Not that I condone nor would I knowingly buy stolen merchandise, but hey, you never know when buying from some anonymous soul on the Internet.

Anyway, my point is if you get a $3,000 frameset for $700 from a foreign seller, I think any expectation of warranty coverage is an illusion at best. What's their incentive to honor it? You can't neg a seller 6 months or a year after the sale, I don't think--especially if you've already given them feedback.
Did you read the RBR thread that was linked earlier. Several people had warranty issues that were dealt with promptly and fairly with their Chinarellos, etc. I would suggest that saying that the seller (factory) won't honor their warranty is disingenious at best.
Old 12-28-10, 01:32 PM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
No doubt the Chinese are very capable in manufacturing. Its in ethics where the problems often come up. People I've talked to who have dealt with the manufacturers there complain of having to watch everything very closely, and constantly catching where they try to skimp and cut corners even when exact materials and processes are specified. A big name company has the staff and expertise to hold them accountable and make sure what rolls off the line is exactly what they ordered. I'm sure there are a lot of good guys there building a quality product, but its hard to gain trust when so many are not.
Old 12-28-10, 01:35 PM
noise boy

Originally Posted by Spring Water
Hmmm
Time Video
Exactly my point. Time weaves their own carbon fiber to maintain control of the product. Cyfac also does the same. The point is that you have a lot more control over the characteristics of the product of you make your own carbon fiber weaves, as opposed to buying pre-preg carbon fiber sheets.
Old 12-28-10, 01:40 PM
Jed19

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by pallen
No doubt the Chinese are very capable in manufacturing. Its in ethics where the problems often come up. People I've talked to who have dealt with the manufacturers there complain of having to watch everything very closely, and constantly catching where they try to skimp and cut corners even when exact materials and processes are specified. A big name company has the staff and expertise to hold them accountable and make sure what rolls off the line is exactly what they ordered. I'm sure there are a lot of good guys there building a quality product, but its hard to gain trust when so many are not.
Bingo! We have a winner.

The chinese are capable of manufacturing items to rigorous spec, but you have to keep an eye on them by having your own rep on their shop floor and on QC teams. The cutting corners to make more profit is the 800Ib gorilla that the world has to keep in mind when it comes to chinese products.

There was a picture I once saw of a broken carbon frame where newspaper pulp had been bonded to the carbon or stuffed in the tubes. Needless to say, it was not pretty.

Last edited by Jed19; 12-28-10 at 03:19 PM.
Old 12-28-10, 01:41 PM
Daytrip
Medicinal Cyclist

Bikes: 2003 Klein Q Carbon Race; 2009 Giant OCR-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
saying that the seller (factory) won't honor their warranty is disingenious at best.
I don't know about disingenuous, but given that I have no personal experience in the matter, I'll cop to ignorance and concede the point. I was describing my expectations and making an observation about relative value. Got a little carried away, I guess.

Carry on.
Old 12-28-10, 01:45 PM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Did you read the RBR thread that was linked earlier. Several people had warranty issues that were dealt with promptly and fairly with their Chinarellos, etc. I would suggest that saying that the seller (factory) won't honor their warranty is disingenious at best.
My worry wouldn't be so much about if a particular seller will honor a warranty or not, but what recourse you would have if a seller refused to honor the warranty. What would you do? report them to the BBB? File a lawsuit? If the seller doesn't have a well-established reputation, there is a higher risk involved. Sometimes the price is low enough to account for that extra risk though - just be aware that it's there.
Old 12-28-10, 04:38 PM
kk5551

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which Frame is this by the way? FM015? FM028?
Originally Posted by slothlike
This frame is "cheap" and designed and made in Taiwan and from performance perspective, loses nothing to Cervelo or any other high end frame. Resale is better on name brand, but that is cancelled out by initial cost differences.
Old 12-28-10, 07:04 PM
Shuke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by freeskihp
the point is that they're not knockoffs, they're a competing producer. Clearly they make quality stuff because people buy it and like it. They compete with the high priced domestic offerings because they are 90% of the benefit with 20% of the cost. How much of the aero benefit of a pair of 808's do you think is provided by the torroidial-ness? I don't see you questioning Reynolds or EDGE. Am I saying that these chinese offerings are better? No, but they do a fantastic job for the price you pay
I wouldn't exactly call that a rant. I explained some of the pros and cons of buying a knockoff frame and then gave a personal opinion. Edge/Enve: molds all of their spoke holes into the wheel instead of drilling them: stiffer rim, allows more tension on the spokes. Reynolds continues the widest part of the rim profile to about 2/3 of the way down the rim profile from the trailing edge: more aero. What technology or R&D is implemented in the no-name wheels?
Old 12-28-10, 07:56 PM
faire_du_velo
Junior cyclist

Bikes: Scattante r-330

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kk5551
Which Frame is this by the way? FM015? FM028?
Neither, it is the Pedal Force QS3.
https://pedalforce.com/online/product...ducts_id=16938
Old 12-28-10, 07:58 PM
ravenmore

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by faire_du_velo
Pedal Force doesn't make the frame either. They get it from someone else. I thought I heard ADK mentioned for them at one point but I could be wrong.
Old 12-28-10, 08:07 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by popeye
wot

The process for making carbon fibers is part chemical and part mechanical. The precursor is drawn into long strands or fibers and then heated to a very high temperature with-out allowing it to come in contact with oxygen.
The strands are drawn into thread but the threads are then woven into fabric.

When talking about frame construction if you mention drawing it will refer to metals. The process associated with carbon is weave. No one would say they draw their own carbon.

Old 12-28-10, 08:10 PM
Herbie53

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by faire_du_velo
I think those are ADK frame numbers. PF gets at least some of their stuff from there.

https://www.adktec.com/
Old 12-28-10, 08:16 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Herbie53
I think those are ADK frame numbers. PF gets at least some of their stuff from there.

https://www.adktec.com/
ADK frame numbers are AKFMXX-XX

Old 12-28-10, 08:25 PM
garysol1 

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by slothlike
I never said Cervelo wasn't good. They are not any better than a Giant TCR. As far my other comment about Specialized, they make frames for so many others, but they do actual draw their own carbon which from my understanding no other bike manufacturer does. If so, name the other one.
Serotta for one......
Old 12-28-10, 08:31 PM
adam_mac84

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ravenmore
thought this was really nice too. Sub 1100 gram frame with integrated seat post. Note the internal cable routing on the top tube. Less than $500.

I just built one up... FM028 frame... nice bike if you ask me... nearly the same geometry as the Madone H2
Old 12-28-10, 08:33 PM
ravenmore

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by adam_mac84
I just built one up... FM028 frame... nice bike if you ask me... nearly the same geometry as the Madone H2
pics or it didn't happen.
Old 12-28-10, 08:35 PM
ravenmore

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Spring Water
Hmmm
In this vid they pull carbon sleeves over a handlebar shaped material - same with the fork. Is that some kind of mold? Is it somehow removed later in the process?
Old 12-28-10, 09:24 PM
noise boy

Originally Posted by ravenmore
In this vid they pull carbon sleeves over a handlebar shaped material - same with the fork. Is that some kind of mold? Is it somehow removed later in the process?
I was thinking that it was a lost wax type thing, so after they do the epoxy and I am assuming put it in the autoclave, the wax melts out, leaving the part behind. I could be wrong though.
Old 12-28-10, 10:21 PM
Spring Water
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adam_mac84
A madone isn't a madone for the geometry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.