Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

"Those Bicyclists Blow Right Through Red Lights!"

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

"Those Bicyclists Blow Right Through Red Lights!"

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-16, 06:28 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I had something interesting happen to me today on my 34 mile loop. I don't mind using a shoulder or a parking lane to travel in, but when I approach a traffic light or stop sign I become a part of traffic in the traffic lanes. It lessens my chances of being right hooked or having a left turner take me out. Today I moved into the traffic lane and as I did the light turned red. As soon as the little cross traffic cleared, a guy behind me honked. I looked back and he motioned for me to go. I was getting ready to go anyway. When I did he took a right. He thought it was OK for me to scoot on across so he could make his turn.
He must have been visiting from New Orleans. Cyclists here are expected to go and are appreciated for it most of the time. As dumb as we may be about a lot of things, we are not Puritanical.
Old 06-19-16, 10:55 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I blow through about 5-15 red lights a day, depending on what kind of attitude I get from the downtown traffic... safely of course.
Old 06-20-16, 06:47 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
How do you explain FRAP laws which exist in every state that I know of.

If cyclist were truly treated vehicles as any other vehicle, then the only additional law that would be used for us is the slow moving vehicle law.
...FRAP laws are significantly different than laws motorist are required to obey.
...FRAP laws are laws that CYCLISTs are REQUIRED to obey and the MOTORIST are NOT REQUIRED to obey. Your position was the laws are the same for both, they are not.
You seem to have problems reading, as my earlier post clearly noted that Massachusetts cyclist are ticketed for not riding FRAP even though Massachusetts does not have a FRAP law. The summary judgement proves the police and that judge enforce FRAP without any such law.
Actually, the judge's opinion shows that he applied 720 C.M.R. § 9.06(5) (give way to the right) , not FRAP. 720 C.M.R. § 9.06(5) applies to *all* vehicles.

I'll use small words - you are wrong.

-mr. bill
Old 06-20-16, 01:51 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Actually, the judge's opinion shows that he applied 720 C.M.R. § 9.06(5) (give way to the right) , not FRAP. 720 C.M.R. § 9.06(5) applies to *all* vehicles.

I'll use small words - you are wrong.

-mr. bill
Which is no different from enforcing FRAP. You just want to use different words even though they were applied the same by the police and this judge.

Leave it to Massachusetts folk pretending they are different.

Far right as practicable vs give way to the right; no difference except in the full FRAP law we at least get the advantage of the exceptions.

Again mr. bill, thank you for proving my point.
Old 06-20-16, 02:14 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
What evidence was presented to show that a "suitable and visible signal" was being given by the driver of the overtaking vehicle?
Old 06-21-16, 05:45 AM
mr_bill

Which is no different from enforcing FRAP. You just want to use different words even though they were applied the same by the police and this judge.

Leave it to Massachusetts folk pretending they are different.

Far right as practicable vs give way to the right; no difference except in the full FRAP law we at least get the advantage of the exceptions.

Again mr. bill, thank you for proving my point.
You claim that HAWAII'S bike laws are SUPERIOR to Massachusetts? You may well the only person foolish enough to claim such a thing. FRAP < FRAP with exceptions < NO FRAP. States are *LEARNING* from Massachusetts, there are now FIVE states without FRAP. So, if your point is that YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT, then you've proved your point. Happy to help.

Originally Posted by KD5NRH
What evidence was presented to show that a "suitable and visible signal" was being given by the driver of the overtaking vehicle?
Read the opinion. (You all know that the case was settled without going to trial in favor of Eli Damon, right?)

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 06-21-16 at 06:28 AM.
Old 06-21-16, 06:08 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Equinox
Its ludicrous to think cyclist is or should be treated like any other vehicle.
Horsepucky. Everyone needs to be operating from the same playbook...rules of the road apply to all vehicles operating on the road. The advantage of a bicycle is that the rider has some unique ways to bend those rules.

In regard to the OP, in over 50 years of riding and observing other riders, blowing lights is the rule, not the exception. Yeah, in many cases it's easy for us to see that we have the right of way and it's safe to proceed, but in the eyes of those who are observing our behavior, we're blowing lights. Perception is 99% of reality, unfortunately.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 06-21-16, 06:41 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
Horsepucky. Everyone needs to be operating from the same playbook...rules of the road apply to all vehicles operating on the road. The advantage of a bicycle is that the rider has some unique ways to bend those rules.

In regard to the OP, in over 50 years of riding and observing other riders, blowing lights is the rule, not the exception. Yeah, in many cases it's easy for us to see that we have the right of way and it's safe to proceed, but in the eyes of those who are observing our behavior, we're blowing lights. Perception is 99% of reality, unfortunately.
Hello there stranger. How ya been?
Old 06-21-16, 06:54 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
+1
Old 06-21-16, 09:11 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Horsepucky. Everyone needs to be operating from the same playbook...rules of the road apply to all vehicles operating on the road...
OK...think about this. Tonight you go to sleep and have a dream that you are driving a car in the Daytona 500, only you notice that all the other cars are race cars doing 200+mph and you find yourself in a 1966 Ford Falcon that can barely muster 80mph. Are you going to "take the lane" and drive in the same positions and under the same rules as all of the cars flying by you at 100mph more than you are going?

Best if you just wake up.
Old 06-21-16, 09:17 AM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
OK...think about this. Tonight you go to sleep and have a dream that you are driving a car in the Daytona 500, only you notice that all the other cars are race cars doing 200+mph and you find yourself in a 1966 Ford Falcon that can barely muster 80mph. Are you going to "take the lane" and drive in the same positions and under the same rules as all of the cars flying by you at 100mph more than you are going?

exactly
Old 06-21-16, 09:18 AM
baron von trail 

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Obviously, the same as always....
Old 06-21-16, 09:20 AM
baron von trail 

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

side benefit
Old 06-21-16, 09:26 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

That you don't know the difference between rules and operational tactics is why I never take you seriously, Joey. The rules of the road say we stop at signals...on a bike we can comply with the spirit of that rule without following the letter of the law...the operational characteristics of our vehicle allows us to use different tactics to accomplish the same result...safely negotiating a signaled/signed intersection. You know this...you ride the same way I do and have survived just as long...even if you ain't as pretty.

Show me the rule that says I have to take the lane and impede traffic due to my speed differential. You can't....taking the lane is a tactic based on circumstances, not impeding faster traffic is a rule - why would I apply a tactic that is so obviously dumb and doesn't conform with the rule? Check and mate. Rules versus tactics...understand the difference and you might not sound so foolish.

Edit: good to see ole Baron von Follower playing the toady.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

Last edited by chipcom; 06-21-16 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06-21-16, 09:32 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dynodonn
+1
Rode hard, put up wet...but much better now. ;-)

How ya'll doing?
Old 06-21-16, 09:47 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

That you don't know the difference between rules and operational tactics is why I never take you seriously, Joey. The rules of the road say we stop at signals...on a bike we can comply with the spirit of that rule without following the letter of the law...the operational characteristics of our vehicle allows us to use different tactics to accomplish the same result...safely negotiating a signaled/signed intersection. You know this...you ride the same way I do and have survived just as long...even if you ain't as pretty.

Show me the rule that says I have to take the lane and impede traffic due to my speed differential. You can't....taking the lane is a tactic based on circumstances, not impeding faster traffic is a rule - why would I apply a tactic that is so obviously dumb and doesn't conform with the rule? Check and mate. Rules versus tactics...understand the difference and you might not sound so foolish.
ER....I think you took my post the wrong way. The only time I take the lane is when I am going the same speed as everyone else, or coming to a stop at an intersection. I would never EVER take the lane on a 50mph two-lane road or highway due to the speed differential between me on my bike and cars doing 10mph over the limit. This was the point of the Ford Falcon on the racetrack - to illustrate the speed differential.
Old 06-21-16, 10:59 AM
mr_bill

Your 1966 Ford Falcon would never pass inspection, let alone qualify for the Daytona 500, so you'll never ever face the wheel to wheel "dream" above.

But back in the real world, there are strict sporting rules governing competitor behavior.

And oddly enough, even in competitive single class motor sports, speed differentials between competitors often are in the same ballpark as the speed differential between motor vehicles and people on bicycles. In multi class motor sports, speed differential between competitors can be far greater that what we amateurs are used to.

So, back in the real world, there are *STRICT* sporting rules governing competitor behavior - both for the competitor being overtaken and for the competitor overtaking. Those competitors unable to abide by those *STRICT* sporting rules are not long for the sport.

(Hint - unpredictability is unsafe.)

-mr. bill
Old 06-21-16, 06:50 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts

How ya'll doing?
Good enough. Trying to whip myself into shape for RAGBRAI.
Old 06-21-16, 07:33 PM
icedmocha 
There's time now

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 4096 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 114 Posts
Why is it so hard for you to understand that FRAP laws are laws that CYCLISTs are REQUIRED to obey and the MOTORIST are NOT REQUIRED to obey. Your position was the laws are the same for both, they are not.
I ask again:
1: cite the law
2: show where I attributed words to you that you did not say
Old 06-21-16, 08:18 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Your 1966 Ford Falcon would never pass inspection, let alone qualify for the Daytona 500, so you'll never ever face the wheel to wheel "dream" above.
Jezus....

The race is not LITERAL. This is why I put it in a dream.

You DO face it every day you ride you bike in reality. Motor vehicles are the race cars and YOU on your BIKE is the Ford Falcon. The speed differential is about the same for bikes vs. cars and race cars vs. family cars. What makes the Daytona 500 "safe" is that everyone is driving about the same speed. If you threw a Ford Falcon out there, and the driver of said Falcon tried to "act" like a race car, there would be all sorts of danger. Same as if you take your bicycle out on the highway and act like a motor vehicle.

Sheesh. Can't remember the last time I was so tempted to launch a personal attack here. Now I know why some folks here will just never get "it". I am OUT.
Old 06-21-16, 08:34 PM
baron von trail 

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

How ya'll doing?
good to hear. welcome back
Old 06-21-16, 09:08 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
Jezus....

The race is not LITERAL. This is why I put it in a dream.
Some people do not have the capacity for abstract thought.

Interestingly these same people often insist on slavish adherence to traffic codes.
Old 06-21-16, 09:46 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

You claim that HAWAII'S bike laws are SUPERIOR to Massachusetts? You may well the only person foolish enough to claim such a thing. FRAP < FRAP with exceptions < NO FRAP. States are *LEARNING* from Massachusetts, there are now FIVE states without FRAP. So, if your point is that YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT, then you've proved your point. Happy to help.

Read the opinion. (You all know that the case was settled without going to trial in favor of Eli Damon, right?)

-mr. bill
Settlement means that the police will continue to ticket cyclist under the same law with no real difference from FRAP without exceptions. It means no new case law that would help to protect cyclist against these cops and that law. No surprise that other states wish to change the laws to eliminate the FRAP exemptions, must of gotten large support from motorist and cops in a hurry and believe cyclist do not belong.

Why do you insist the "give way to the right" law is better than FRAP with exceptions. Especially when it is enforced as a must stay right, or you WILL be ticketed law.

You seem proud of what Eli had to go through just to get a settlement.

With FRAP exceptions, I have at least convinced cops in several states that my riding was legal and it would be wrong of them to write a ticket. Seems FRAP with exceptions has worked better for me in several states than your law with no exceptions.
Old 06-21-16, 09:57 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by icedmocha
I ask again:
1: cite the law
2: show where I attributed words to you that you did not say
Do your own work and look up your own FRAP law. Hard to believe you are in A&S and cannot find FRAP law and seem to be clueless. You appear to be more troll than poster.

When you post as knowing someones position on a subject, your are putting words in their mouth, often used as a strawman, also a troll tactic.

Reread your post and you have several examples for yourself.
Old 06-21-16, 10:00 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by lostarchitect
Some people do not have the capacity for abstract thought.

Interestingly these same people often insist on slavish adherence to traffic codes.
Sadly, it seems some here only have the ability of abstract thought. Balance is good both on and off of a bicycle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.